Plot to kill cartoonist that drew Mohammad thwarted

[h1]Somali shot after allegedly attempting to attack Danish cartoonist[/h1]
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Assailant allegedly tried to enter the home of Danish political cartoonist Kurt Westergaard
  • Westergaard known for his controversial depictions of the Muslim prophet Mohammad
  • Since 2006, Danish authorities arrested others allegedly plotting to kill Westergaard

RELATED TOPICS

(CNN) -- A Somali man believed to have time to terrorist groups was shot as he allegedly tried to enter the home of Danish political cartoonist Kurt Westergaard -- known for his controversial depictions of the Muslim prophet Mohammad -- on Saturday, police said.

The 27-year-old man, who was not identified, wielded an ax and a knife and cracked a window at Westergaard's home in Aarhus, said police spokesman Morten Jensen. A home alarm alerted police to the scene at 10 p.m., and they were attacked by the man, he said.

The officers shot the man in the right leg and left hand. He was hospitalized, but was not seriously injured, police said.

Danish intelligence officials said the suspect is connected to al-Shabaab, al Qaeda's ally in east Africa.

The incident "once again confirms the terrorist threat that is directed against Denmark and against cartoonist Kurt Westergaard, in particular," said Jakob Scharf, spokesman for the Danish Security and Intelligence Service, in a statement.

Westergaard's caricature of Mohammed -- which depicted the prophet wearing a bomb as a turban with a lit fuse -- sparked an uproar among Muslims in early 2006 after newspapers reprinted the images months later as a matter of free speech. The cartoon was first published by the Danish newspaper Morgenavisen Jullands-Posten in September 2005.

At the time, Westergaard said he wanted his cartoon to say that some people exploited the prophet to legitimize terror. However, many in the Muslim world interpreted the drawing as depicting their prophet as a terrorist.

Over the years, Danish authorities have arrested other suspects who allegedly plotted against Westergaard's life.

After three such arrests were made in February 2008, Westergaard issued a statement, saying, "Of course I fear for my life after the Danish Security and Intelligence Service informed me of the concrete plans of certain people to kill me. However, I have turned fear into anger and indignation. It has made me angry that a perfectly normal everyday activity which I used to do by the thousand was abused to set off such madness."

Scharf said authorities have taken measures to ensure Westergaard's safety, and that the protection has "proven effective."

This guy and Salman Rushdie are Public Enemy #1 to radical Islamists throughout the world. Can't imagine what its like having tolive looking over your shoulder every day.

[h1]Danish cartoonist hid in 'panic room' during attack[/h1]
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Somali man attacked home of political cartoonist, police say
  • Police say they shot suspect outside home of Kurt Westergaard
  • Westergaard known for controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad
  • Danish officials say suspect connected to al Qaeda ally in Africa

(CNN) -- Danish political cartoonist Kurt Westergaard hid in a "panic room" inside his home as a man wielding an ax and knife cracked the glass in the home's front door, Danish police said Saturday.

Police said a home alarm alerted them to the scene in Aarhus at 10 p.m. Friday, and they were attacked by the suspect when they responded. Police shot the suspect.

Westergaard took his 5-year-old granddaughter into the "panic room" when he realized what was happening, Chief Superintendent Ole Madsen said.

Westergaard, who has been threatened for drawing cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad, is ordinarily accompanied by bodyguards when he leaves his home, but nobody was on guard at the house Friday, the Security and Intelligence Service told CNN.

Police said Westergaard was "being taken care of" after the break-in, but wouldn't reveal his new location.

The suspect, meanwhile, appeared in court Saturday, charged with attempted assassination, the Danish Intelligence and Security Service said.

The suspect was shot in the right leg and left hand and hospitalized after the incident, police said. Video showed him appearing in court Saturday strapped onto a stretcher.

Authorities did not identify the suspect because the judge decided it would be illegal to disclose his name, said Madsen, with the East Jutland Police. Authorities said he was a 28-year-old Somali who has legal residency in Denmark and lives in Sjaelland, near Copenhagen.

The suspect was charged with the attempted assassination of Westergaard and a police officer on duty, the intelligence service said.

The judge ordered the suspect held for four weeks while the investigation proceeds.

Madsen said the man is the only suspect in the case, and he would not say whether police were investigating anyone else.

Police had no indication that an attack was being planned on Westergaard, Madsen said, though the intelligence service said the suspect had been under surveillance because of his terrorist links.

Danish intelligence officials said the suspect is connected to al-Shabaab, al Qaeda's ally in east Africa.

The incident "once again confirms the terrorist threat that is directed against Denmark and against cartoonist Kurt Westergaard, in particular," said Jakob Scharf, spokesman for the Danish Security and Intelligence Service.

Westergaard's caricature of Muhammad -- showing the prophet wearing a bomb as a turban with a lit fuse -- sparked an uproar among Muslims in early 2006 after newspapers reprinted the images months later as a matter of free speech. The cartoon was first published by the Danish newspaper Morgenavisen Jyllands-Posten in September 2005.

At the time, Westergaard said he wanted his cartoon to say that some people exploited the prophet to legitimize terrorism. However, many in the Muslim world interpreted the drawing as depicting their prophet as a terrorist.

Over the years, Danish authorities have arrested other suspects who allegedly plotted against Westergaard's life.

After three such arrests in February 2008, Westergaard issued a statement, saying, "Of course I fear for my life after the Danish Security and Intelligence Service informed me of the concrete plans of certain people to kill me. However, I have turned fear into anger and indignation. It has made me angry that a perfectly normal everyday activity which I used to do by the thousand was abused to set off such madness."

Scharf said authorities have taken measures to ensure Westergaard's safety, and that the protection has "proven effective."

CNN's Per Nyberg contributed to this report.

It's the one at the top with the bomb in the turban

Jyllands-Posten-pg3-article-in-Sept-30-2005-edition-of-KulturWeekend-entitled-Muhammeds-ansigt.png

R.I.P. Lazy B

ooo, it rhymes. Real talk though, RIP thread coming soon for you doggie.

- peace Gods and Goddesses

Cartoonist knew what he was doing. If his intent was to satire or send some sort of political message, there's more effective ways of doing it. He just didit for the fame. Anyways its impressive he made it this long honestly
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Capricorn1229

People need to stop playing around with people religions. It is not a game.

Seriously!! Why can't we respect every man's religion? You don't have to believe in it but at the very least, respect it.

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Originally Posted by Capricorn1229

People need to stop playing around with people religions. It is not a game.

Seriously!! Why can't we respect every man's religion? You don't have to believe in it but at the very least, respect it.

Because people take it to the extreme and kill other people in the name of religion. While I should focus on the believers and not the belief system, onebegets the other so I kind of just feel like the world would be a better place without Christianity and Islam.

eyes.gif
I mean it sucks for him, but in a time like this drawing those kinds ofdemographically demeaning pictures?

Pathetic, hopefully he'll wake up and get a real 9-5 job.
indifferent.gif

WOW at you guys defending the murderer's. Alot of people complain about the double standard that exist when people attack Christianity exclusively buteverybody who said this man deserves to DIE knows if he had drew Jesus nobody would even utter that thought. This religious fanaticism at it's best andsome of you have the nerve to SUPPORT IT. So you're saying the US had it coming when they slammed planes into the towers right? Because you don't messwith religion, right? Get out of here, this guy had some balls that most of you will never muster up.

Back
Top Bottom