POST YOUR WATCHES vol. ?

Originally Posted by eaalto

Originally Posted by AC4Three

^ Personally I think that's a great watch for approximately $500. If the Tissot RFX45 posted is in your price range, I'd go for that...

I'm just curious about what movement is in the Visodate.  The Hamilton has an ETA 2824, the same movement can be found in watches costing 3-4x as much, the same base movement that is in my Tag Heuer Aquaracer, etc.
In Tags defense, the movement is ETA based but they do modify it and add their own parts to make into different calibers they have such as Caliber 5, 17, etc...
There is actually a huge problem now that ETA decided they won't sell parts anymore, only whole movements so those who used gets their parts from ETA is having ETA make the movements specifically to the brands standards before shipping it to the company. 

This has also led to Tag Heuer to introduce their new in-house movement, which kind of scares me. Even though it is for the better, I could also see prices rise on some of these watches so we'll have to wait and see.

icebergslm, nice Speedy!

There are also different grades to an ETA movement. A 2824 will come in three different versions.

Just think of it as a VW 2.0 engine. 180 hp of a Jetta, but they push 200 out of Audi (same engine). Modifications make a huge difference, along with decorations for the movement. For instance Panerai applies white gold onto the plates of their 6497.

Originally Posted by lazybonejone

There are also different grades to an ETA movement. A 2824 will come in three different versions.

Just think of it as a VW 2.0 engine. 180 hp of a Jetta, but they push 200 out of Audi (same engine). Modifications make a huge difference, along with decorations for the movement. For instance Panerai applies white gold onto the plates of their 6497.

I'm fairly certain that the movement in my Tag is base grade.  I bought it in 2006.  Out of the box it was +13 a day, and I had it regulated down to +5 a day.  Now it runs -7 per day.
For a while I was able to regulate it at night by resting it crown down or crown up, but now I just wear my watch all the time and just deal with resetting it every so often.  The one chronometer I have runs about +4/+5 a day, but it doesn't have the full functionality of the Aquaracer.  I am almost always timing things with the bezel, to this extent I feel like I would love to have a chronograph.

Are there any 7750 based watches in the $500 range?  RFX?

-4/+6 is actually within COSC standards so the Tag wasn't running too bad I think.
As for Tag movements, it will depend on the Caliber really. I believe it is based on the base 2824 but getting -7/+7 seconds per day is about their mid-ETA movement and not the base/lowest grade movement.

As for 7750, it is just the Chrono version of the ETA 2824 and Oris, Longines, Tissot and Hamilton Automatic Chronos will likely have a Valjoux 7750 movement inside.

Originally Posted by RFX45

-4/+6 is actually within COSC standards so the Tag wasn't running too bad I think.
As for Tag movements, it will depend on the Caliber really. I believe it is based on the base 2824 but getting -7/+7 seconds per day is about their mid-ETA movement and not the base/lowest grade movement.

As for 7750, it is just the Chrono version of the ETA 2824 and Oris, Longines, Tissot and Hamilton Automatic Chronos will likely have a Valjoux 7750 movement inside.
My Aquaracer has the Calibre 5, but it may be different from their newest version of this movement.  
I also know that the Carrera Chrono has the 7750 in it, I think tag calls it the calibre 16?

I'm wearing my Carrera right now and double checked and yes, it does have the Caliber 16 movement.
And yes, it is a Valjoux 7750 movement, which is actually somewhat robust. Some people say it is also rather loud but I really do not notice it.

The new Tag Heuer in-house movement, Caliber 1887, looks pretty damn good.

Sadly, it is actually based off an old Seiko movement design but looks good nonetheless.

tag-heuer-caliber-1887.jpg

KDog, PROPS, those watches are amazing. Titanic steel? That is a great idea, and is probobly worth the price. Thanks for all the info.
pimp.gif
I want that all black one!
Edit: Just checked out the prices...100k and up. Damn, that is so expensive.  But I guess to own a piece of history like you said is what would make its worth.

Originally Posted by Malloy19

KDog, PROPS, those watches are amazing. Titanic steel? That is a great idea, and is probobly worth the price. Thanks for all the info.
pimp.gif
I want that all black one!
Edit: Just checked out the prices...100k and up. Damn, that is so expensive.  But I guess to own a piece of history like you said is what would make its worth.

They're not that much - maybe for some of the silly diamond ones - the "regular" ones are from $11k to about $30k. Still expensive - but it would be a nice thing to have.

Black Rolexs are all customized; either PVD or DLC.

Rolex will not honor the warranty.  You might have seen "Pro-Hunter" on the dial and assume it was commissioned by Rolex, but that is not true.  Rolex is old school, and they don't fall for trends or gimmicks (not that black watches are a gimmick, but it is a recent trend).

[table][tr][td]http://http://Pre-Basel 2010

Blancpain Villeret Phase de Lune Demi-Savonnette
bhalf.jpg

bhalf2.jpg

Alpina 12 Hours of Sebring Automatic Chrono GMT
alpinagmt1.JPG
[/td]
alpinagmt2.JPG
[/tr][tr]
alpinagmt3.JPG
[/tr][tr]
[/tr][tr]Hermès Clipper Chronograph[/tr][tr][/tr][tr]
[/tr][tr]a.b.art Serie OA[/tr][tr][/tr][tr]
[/tr][tr]Ulysse Nardin El Toro[/tr][tr]
eltoro1.jpg
[/tr][tr]
eltoro2.jpg
[/tr][tr]
[/tr][tr]Epos 3400 GMT[/tr][tr]
eposgmt1.jpg
[/tr][tr]
eposgmt2.jpg
[/tr][tr]
[/tr][tr]DeWitt Twenty-8-Eight[/tr][tr]
28side2.jpg
[/tr][tr]
[/tr][tr]Ateliers deMonaco Carré d’'Or Squelette Grand Tourbillon Répétition Minute[/tr][tr]
demtb.jpg
[/tr][tr]
demtb2.jpg
[/tr][tr]
[/tr][tr]Saint Honoré Coloseo Lady, Coloseo Chronograph and Monceau Magnum[/tr][tr]
[/tr][/table]

I am not a big digital watch fan but I find myself liking these a lot.
Although it is digital, it is power by an automatic movement. 

[table][tr][td]http://http://Pre-BASEL 2010 - Hamilton Pulsomatic
pulso.jpg

pulso1.jpg

But damn, why did it have to be $1,495?
frown.gif

The producer of the world’s first digital watch makes this technology automatic 

The year 2010 marks the fortieth birthday of the world’s first digital watch, made by Hamilton. The American brand is celebrating the invention of the technology that revolutionized the watch industry with the new Hamilton Pulsomatic, a digital timepiece with futuristic design. This watch fuels the spirit of the digital age with Swiss craftsmanship in the form of an automatic movement, to appeal to wearers who love the fact that time never stands still. 

The case in stainless steel, black PVD or gold-plate PVD measures 39mm x 49mm. It has a sapphire crystal and is water resistant to 50 meters. 

Movement is the Swiss automatic H1970 (manufactured by ETA) with an 82 day power reserve. 

MSRP starts at $1,495. It will be available October 2010. 
[/td][/tr][/table]

Pre-BASEL 2010

Zenith Elite 681 Ultra Thin

zenultra1.JPG
zenultra2.JPG

Hamilton Khaki Pilot

hampilot.jpg
hampilot1.jpg

hampilot2.jpg
hampilot42.jpg

Hamilton RailRoad Automatic Chronograph

hamrail.jpg

It's been a while since I posted here. This is the collection thus far.

Stuhrling Original Zepplin

Swiss Legend Commander in ceramic.

Invicta Reserve Bolt with polyurethane strap(just arrived today)

Invicta Sea Spider Sport

Invicta Reserve Excursion

TX T3B941(Modified with a red carbon fiber strap)

A Fossil automatic that I got in Vegas a while back. Can't recall the model name.

The only designer watch I have in my collection by Burberry.

Invicta Corduba Black Widow

Now I know that some here may knock Invicta thinking they're kind of cheap and whatnot, but they are some of the best watches i've ever owned. Plus the designs they constantly come out with just work for me so well.

im not sure if this was posted but have any of you guys lost any of your watches worth $2,500 or more? if so did you cry?

Originally Posted by Vancity74

I hate fakes, I refuse to wear fake anything, but I don't really consider these homages to be fake. Do people consider Ruf's to be fake Porsche's?No. People love this style and they have a ton of fun customizing it. I'm about 20 minutes away from placing my order - just waiting to see if Getat has adomed case OR if Jacksontse has a phantom black dial.

I do think, however, that you MUST have a steralized dial (no branding).

radiomirmoondustpolishe.jpg

3519550629_d744508fab.jpg

3520364156_6e1843ba76.jpg

3669614549_1aa6779733.jpgp

3670403478_645a73f657.jpg
Crazy how on my second post it's about cars and watches, but I lurked here for a long time and just made an account, not a troll just seeing who else were into watches and cars, other then sneakers!

Being a Panerai owner and RUF owner, that is a terrible analogy man. RUF is it's own entity, their own MARQUE, their own manufacturer and tuner.. I have a RUF VIN car bought from RUF auto center in Dallas Texas, the only RUF "dealer" in the US, they aren't "fake" porsches and are hardly just "modified" porsches..

Hommage is just that, Hommage. They are cool pieces, I wouldn't personally wear one, and not because I have 2 PAM's already (because I think they are overpriced watches in general) . I have an audemars Royal Oak Offshore as well as some others and the quality in most Panerai's  is just inferior to some pieces you can get for cheaper or for the same price as a Panerai.

And before I get a call out, here's a pic of my Panerai 162 (first in house chrono movement Panerai produced) with my new Motorsport Vi's
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Across 110th st

im not sure if this was posted but have any of you guys lost any of your watches worth $2,500 or more? if so did you cry?

I have my watches (and my wife's engagement ring) insured as valuable property through my home insurance. Roughly $8 per $1,000 covered per year and covers loss and theft
So approximately $50/year to cover a Rolex. I think it's a no-brainer.

im not sure how that works but if its lost or stolen outside of the household does that mean it isnt covered
Ours is covered regardless of where it is, it's just part of your homeowners insurance coverage.
I think we have a separate "rider" naming everything and its appraised value.

Originally Posted by Hodog16

I have my watches (and my wife's engagement ring) insured as valuable property through my home insurance. Roughly $8 per $1,000 covered per year and covers loss and theft
So approximately $50/year to cover a Rolex. I think it's a no-brainer.
Very smart!!! Thing is, sometimes I like to flip/swap new watches when I get bored, pain to keep calling up to update the policy :/ 

Back
Top Bottom