Quentin Tarantinos Movie Thread - “THE MOVIE CRITIC” no longer his final film

That first scene with Pacino and Rick to me, set up the ENTIRE movie when they were talking about people's perceptions and how you view things and characters.

I literally watched the film through that viewpoint,
so when Cliff even wins a "round" against Bruce I'm already like
"This motha**** really thinks he can take Bruce Lee:lol:"
It's from Cliff's viewpoint, so however we see Bruce coming across is Cliffs(not a real character) opinion.
What's funny is that we see this as a memory of Cliff's and when it goes back to him thinking about that or whether he killed his wife, dude just shrugs on some "I guess they were right in firing me." BS

We also see Sharon Tate reflecting on the work she did with Bruce and what it took to get the great performance she put in in her film and Bruce(in her mind) is an awesome mentor.

same thing with Rick blowing the little girls mind with his acting after coming off as a slob to her.

all about how the audience views the character or even how the people within movie viewed them

My thoughts this morning:

Once upon a time in Hollywood.....what the hell did I just watch? :lol:

Gonna have to rate it as my least favorite Tarantino film. Loved the costume design, the set designs, and seeing Leo play a strange character. THATS IT.

2 thoughts come to mind after seeing it.

1: it reminds me of the time when the Coen brothers had writers block. They came out with that movie Barton Fink. This is Tarantino’s version of that in my opinion. I think dude has writers block or is just washed.

2: also reminds me of something like free form jazz. Jazz cats are like “naaah jive turkey, this is the move. No pre-made music notes to follow, no distinct tune, just vibin off each other with no script.” And non-jazz cats are like “this music hurts my ears, turn this garbage off.”

This movie had no plot and no real point. Just expecting me to vibe of some period in time that I never grew up in and appreciate something that probably only the Director is appreciative about. Don’t think I’ll end up watching it again but I really enjoyed brad and Leo together.

Random thought after finishing Mind Hunter and just now watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Quentin Tarantino is similar to some of the serial murderers in the mind hunter show. Some of the killers get off on the thought nobody being able to decipher their little codes. Zodiac killer. Son of Sam etc. they have unique perversions and sometimes they think they’re more genius than everyone because nobody can catch them based on the clues left on murder scenes. Or clues left in hidden meanings of newspaper clippings, calls to the police etc.

This reminds me so much of Tarantino. He of course has his foot perversion but I’m talking more about the layers of hidden meaning behind everything he does. Like he gets off on being like “heeeheee I’m such a genius, nobody will figure out what this means!” I think that’s a mindset shared by serial killers. He’s even played a psychotic rapist perverted schizophrenic murderer in one of his movies. Then you throw in Charles Manson and his followers into a movie? I see you Quentin. I see you famb.

Subversion. His words.

calibeebee calibeebee i see your points with this one, felt very much david o russell-ish.. who i'm not a fan of

but i need to rewatch the movie

hateful 8 also had that feel, but felt better executed

Last edited:
Hateful 8 and the Kill Bills didn’t do it for me at all.

H8 at least had its moments with the poisoned coffee and then the ending, but Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 ... just ugh.

(I know that’s a sacrilegious take on here.)

H8 at least had its moments with the poisoned coffee and then the ending, but Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 ... just ugh.

not at all I totally get it

JuXq.gif

I mean your opinion is your opinion

But dude has made different types of movies outside of using his signature dialogue and other aspects throughout

So really it would depend on what films of his you do like.. like it would be hard for me to see someone loving pulp fiction but hating reservoir dogs, for example

1. it's not a documentary.
2. Cliff Boothe is not a real human as is essentially indestructible.
3. Having a scene where he goes toe to toe with Bruce (the enduring yard stick for film badassery) doesn't make bruce a joke.

I think people are misdirecting their anger...you should be mad at the AUDIENCE.

The film is NOT saying that Bruce is a joke. Quite the contrary, the film is very clearly a childs recollections of 1970's Los Angeles and the movie industry. It's very earnest in
portrayal of every character, there is not a hint of cycnism in the depiction of anyone except for hippies and movie critics( :lol: ). Young Bruce is portrayed as arrogant cocksure hyper charismatic dude, and his arrogance is about to be completely validated. He WILL become the biggest movie star in the world no matter happens with Cliffe (a dude who is about to fade into bolivia).. The movie is NOT MAKING FUN OF BRUCE.

Yet some in the audience laugh, why?

The audience laughs because.

1. Internalized racism as it relates to Asian males. seeing a super charismatic, super arrogant, super masculine, handsome asian dude talk that talk contradicts the sexless beta male charactuire that exists in the mind of white audiences. The contradiction produces laughter. The movie presents Bruce as he very likely was and an audience that doesn't know about Bruce laughs because they don't understand the scale of superstardom that Bruce would reach. They just see him as haha overconfident asian dude.

2. Bruce Lee became so popular that he essentially came to define an entire genre in the minds of mainstream audiences, and so naturally any parody of martial arts or kung fu is a parody of Bruce Lee, and as a result many things that we associate with Bruce lee; the metaphysical speech, the sounds he made while fighting, essentially became jokes.

I bet many people who have never seen a bruce lee movie, or even any martial arts movie, if you started jumping around, and making Bruce Lee noises while I kicked they will instantly be able to recognize it as "generic kung fu guy" and absorb this as an attempt at comedy.

many people in the audience don't understand that Bruce Lee's affectations weren't jokes they were literally the coolest thing on the planet earth post Enter the Dragon. :lol:

I don't think it was QT's intention to make Bruce out to be a joke, it's just that in the minds of many people in the audience, Bruce Lee cultural signifiers have transitioned from cool *** **** to parody.
Ehhh, I'm sorry but Bruce was getting his *** handed to him. That was funny. Especially after talking all that ****.

I laughed @ that and it aint have anything to do with internalized racism towards Asians.

I thought Hateful 8 was just ok

I loved Inglorious though

Far from the first time this has been done.. pretty sure this isn’t the first time it has been done with Bruce lee or a Bruce lee type rip off

We know off the bat the primary characters didn’t exist (at best there is speculation it’s based on Burt Reynolds) and clearly the situation didn’t play out that way at the end

I mean I’m not going get worked up by this from bondocks either:

but what if it was QT who made MLK look like a fool in one of his mainstream movies and not aaron mcgruder on a relatively small show on cable television
can you see/understand the negative reaction then?

but what if it was QT who made MLK look like a fool in one of his mainstream movies and not aaron mcgruder on a relatively small show on cable television
can you see/understand the negative reaction then?

1) it clearly was a work of fiction

2) I don’t think it was THAT bad.. and wasn’t his only scene on the film

3) mcgruder was actually making a comment on society, whereas tarantino isn’t getting anywhere near that depth

4) even when Tarantino deals with history it all goes back to his favorite subject, film

Damn we comparing Bruce Lee to MLKjr now?
he made the comparison. im just connecting the dots
and my statement still stands

this happens to asian people all the time...never taken seriously.
it's just more of the same

he made the comparison. im just connecting the dots
and my statement still stands

this happens to asian people all the time...never taken seriously.
it's just more of the same

I simply stating the obvious that this wasn’t the first time that an actual historic figured was used in a clear work of fiction

As MLK was in the boondocks

And as I previously stated a bigger issues is what was done in bohemian rhapsody, which was actually a biographical film

A movie for which numerous nominations and awards were received

But also a movie that clearly messed with the facts of an important figures life, a person no long around to defend himself.. while the rest of the band had creative control of a story they played a role in

Ehhh, I'm sorry but Bruce was getting his *** handed to him. That was funny. Especially after talking all that ****.

I laughed @ that and it aint have anything to do with internalized racism towards Asians.

At this point its more of Tortellini putting his foot in his mouth with his comments AFTER getting called out by everyone :lol:

I did think those scenes of Bruce training Sharon and Jay were pretty sweet though.

Saw it the other day. I always go into Tarantino with an open mind because I never really know the experience he's set out for the audience... this one took a long awhile to click for me but once it did I really did enjoy it. I liked the free form nature of the movie and how the days in the life of the characters transitioned back and forth throughout. Soundtrack was excellent, cinematography top notch, the acting was strong as well, particularly from Leo, and Brad Pitt never looked more comfortable in a role that fit him perfectly. Margot Robbie might have been dancing more than she spoke, but the effect of her character made its mark on the movie. All three played their role effectively. It felt like it lacked some of the sharpness of classic Tarantino dialogue, but it was still there. I also don't expect him to have the same zip to every movie and every character, but I did miss some of that back and forth.

I want to see it again because it honestly wasn't until the end when he was describing the flame thrower he had in his tool shed that I absolutely lost it in the theater. It's like the whole movie built up to that one joke and I couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity and the story we were just told. The tension at the ranch was done very well, Cliff's flashback on the roof, going into the filming of the TV series and how the camera pulled back after Rick messed up the lines (incredible), and the way Pacino set up the idea of the audience's expectations as he was describing Rick's career and future. All just great and some of my favorite parts of the movie.

Overall, I really liked it. It was a very different experience and watch. I want to see it in the theater again because I feel like you need the 100% uninterrupted focus otherwise the movie will meander a bit. Great performances, great soundtrack as usual, I liked the story, and other than lacking some sharpness in the dialogue and maybe a few too many moments of aimlessness, it was a strong addition to the Tarantino catalog. I don't know where it ranks, but it's likely in the top half just off the strength of the two leads.

At this point its more of Tortellini putting his foot in his mouth with his comments AFTER getting called out by everyone :lol:

I did think those scenes of Bruce training Sharon and Jay were pretty sweet though.
Eh, what you said took it one step further.

In the wrong direction.

The first time I saw this film I was disappointed but it’s because I expected something completely different and wasn’t fully familiar with the historical portion of the Manson family and the Spahn ranch and everything.

Watched it again... absolutely loved it.

Quentin new what we were all expecting :lol:
Before all the deaths at Leo’s pad the tv has a break scenes that’s says something like “now what you have all been waiting for” :lol:

I rewatched it again on my 10+ hour flight and I enjoyed it more the 2nd time around. Maybe because I knew what to expect so I was able to focus on the characters and the dialogue. Same happened with Hateful 8- On 2nd watch I got a greater appreciation for the dialogue and the characters Tarantino manages to conjure up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom