Question regarding painting/restoring white midsoles...

I recently acquired a couple vintage pairs of air Max '97's and the shoes don't look too bad except for the marks and wornaway paint from the midsole. I did my best to clean them but the rubber used on these shoes isn't like midsole on say a Jordan XI. I have come to the conclusion that I need to paint over them. I figure I will go to Michael's and get some paint. Initially, i was going to get acrylic paint but due to the type of midsole it is im not sure if thats the best choice.To anyone who has painted or restored. Shoes with this type of situation, what kind of paint did u use and how did u apply it?

Try using the search feature on this site; I am confident there are some stickied restoration threads where you can find the info you need....

I myself went the Angelus route, mixed it with some thinner to get it more elastic (this was years ago when it was fashionable to paint kicks) and found that multiple coats worked best BUT be prepared for the eventual cracking "shattering" that will occur at the flex points or where the foam is compressed the most.

I'd also say if you can try to Dremel bit sand the surface a bit or even use a really fine grit sandpaper block to roughen up the midsole to let the paint adhere better...

This has to be my biggest gripe about Nike shortchanging us on quality, back in the day the shoes' midsoles were THAT colour, not white with paint on top... sad sad sad...

Good luck, AM97s are sweet

Back
Top Bottom