Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Lil Nas X actually got decent follow up records tho. Panini is outta here.

He’s been low key crafting for a minute. Not just a “meme rapper” that we thought him to be.

He still a meme rapper to me, not like Weird Al or nothing and not that it’s even a bad thing, just in the sense of being meme internet savvy and using that to work ya move like 69

Bruh could actually do some brand/social media consulting :lol: He’s responsible for some of the biggest past twitter memes through that Nasmaraj account

Wait, buddy who made Tuesday "came out" too? No press tour for him though.

That Nas cat is definitely a plant.

Wait, buddy who made Tuesday "came out" too? No press tour for him though.

That Nas cat is definitely a plant.

Talkin' bout MAKONNEN? He came out a couple of years ago. Low on the press cause it was after he started beefin' with Drake and after his fame started dyin' out

Talkin' bout MAKONNEN? He came out a couple of years ago. Low on the press cause it was after he started beefin' with Drake and after his fame started dyin' out
Granted I don't be trying to keep up with the info on this stuff, but the same applies to this Nas X cat and I couldn't escape the news about his announcement.

Kids a plant where as MAKONNEN don't have that machine behind him.

Granted I don't be trying to keep up with the info on this stuff, but the same applies to this Nas X cat and I couldn't escape the news about his announcement.

People definitely made some calls for Billy Ray to drop outta nowhere and hop on his song. :lol:

I ain't mad at it though, his music ain't for me at all but I'm good with him being the new face of country music.

The difference is Nas X's song is WAY bigger than Tuesday ever was. Kid was touring off a 2.5 min long song that was everywhere. And then for him to cap off the end of Pride Month with coming out, plant or not that's just great marketing.

MAKONNEN had his hit song highjacked by the Drake machine which is known for squeezing an artist's mojo and leaving them out to dry once that song has gotten the spins desired

The difference is Nas X's song is WAY bigger than Tuesday ever was. Kid was touring off a 2.5 min long song that was everywhere. And then for him to cap off the end of Pride Month with coming out, plant or not that's just great marketing.
Great marketing from the machine behind him. Tuesday was as far reaching as Ghost Town Road. Again, I don't stay on top of this stuff, so I do feel like of a track from a random rapper in Atlanta made it to my footsteps, it got pretty freaking big. GTR had a story behind it though with its denial on the Country Billboard charts. This push ain't natural. It's manufactured IMO.

Great marketing from the machine behind him. Tuesday was as far reaching as Ghost Town Road. Again, I don't stay on top of this stuff, so I do feel like of a track from a random rapper in Atlanta made it to my footsteps, it got pretty freaking big. GTR had a story behind it though with its denial on the Country Billboard charts. This push ain't natural. It's manufactured IMO.

So you think if MAKONNEN had a similar machine behind him he would have had the same success?
If so, I'd disagree solely because what really catapulted Nas X was the fact that his song was removed from Billboard country charts. It would have been a "normal" number one hit that faded away but it went from a song to a racially charged debate over genres. Tuesday didn't "push any boundaries", it was a Trap R&B type song and nothing more.

If you talking about the remix I agree. That was cuz of drake though. When that joint come on the radio they don’t even play Makonnens parts :lol:
Yeah, I do mean the remix. And you are right some stations did that for sure.

My only point is this "amazing groundbreaking announcement" about someone in an industry that's so homophobic is just more work from the machine that's behind him. Proof of the machine this time is no one batting an eye at a rapper doing the same a few years ago.

So you think if MAKONNEN had a similar machine behind him he would have had the same success?
If so, I'd disagree solely because what really catapulted Nas X was the fact that his song was removed from Billboard country charts. It would have been a "normal" number one hit that faded away but it went from a song to a racially charged debate over genres. Tuesday didn't "push any boundaries", it was a Trap R&B type song and nothing more.
I do believe if that machine was behind him, he would have similar success.

GTR isn't ground breaking either. It's a rap record with a country theme. Nelly did it years ago. Em has similar tracks. Kid Rock exists as an artist.

I do believe if that machine was behind him, he would have similar success.

GTR isn't ground breaking either. It's a rap record with a country theme. Nelly did it years ago. Em has similar tracks. Kid Rock exists as an artist.

Didn't say OLD TOWN ROAD was groundbreaking. I even stated that it would have been forgotten. I'm saying once they removed it from Billboard Country charts THAT'S when the steam started rollin' and somebody somewhere said "We gotta hop on this before somebody else does"
MAKONNEN didn't have any controversy around his music outside of Drake leeching off of him but Drake's fans wasn't lettin' that fly or gain steam

Either way I support the movement.

Far as I can tell, he’s just making fun music for kids. I can’t be mad at that whether it’s manufactured or not.
Don't get me wrong. It's a fun track. I listen to it. But I think there's more than what's on the surface here.

MAKONNEN had his hit song highjacked by the Drake machine which is known for squeezing an artist's mojo and leaving them out to dry once that song has gotten the spins desired

There’s also a 5 year difference in social attitudes etc. Thats the biggest thing.

But the play with Lil Nas X (as evidenced by his EP) is he’s not confined to one genre of music. So he’s existing in many different realms than just hip hop. And the acceptance factors, media attention, access etc can be different in those relative spaces.

210D8372-6067-406A-A962-98B4908221EA.png

That’s been traditionally HARD for black rappers, musicians to do up to today. Post Malone was able to occupy all those spaces...Lil Nas X and them are using the same playbook...and we saw the resistance to it.

Ain’t mad at him. And once again, Panini is my **** :pimp:.

Last edited:
Either way I support the movement.

Far as I can tell, he’s just making fun music for kids. I can’t be mad at that whether it’s manufactured or not.
Truth be told, I guess I'm very muxh aware of this for a reason not worth discussing in this thread. But it's got my antennas up for sure.

Truth be told, I guess I'm very muxh aware of this for a reason not worth discussing in this thread. But it's got my antennas up for sure.
Nah, I get it. Any time label execs are involved there's more going on than what's on the surface...but all I've seen so far is a lot of positivity and some trolling.:lol:

The gay thing doesn't really make me suspicious, 'cause I've thought he was gay since I found out where he came from.:lol: And I really don't think it's as much of an advantage as some people say.

Yeah, I do mean the remix. And you are right some stations did that for sure.

My only point is this "amazing groundbreaking announcement" about someone in an industry that's so homophobic is just more work from the machine that's behind him. Proof of the machine this time is no one batting an eye at a rapper doing the same a few years ago.

I see what you saying. I do agree he got a machine behind him but I think it came later after the initial success. Like many things hip hop, young black folks on the internet were spreading the song EVERYWHERE, I first heard it in a clip compilation my kid showed me.

Then folks really got behind him when they took him off the country charts. People were purposely playing the song more. Couple that with it being an open secret that lil bruh was gay and he was outta here once the labels got behind him.

Makonnen was a different lane and situation. This Lil Nas X kid is clean from his background to his music. Perfect storm :lol: bruh on twitter joking on himself along with everybody else. It’s hard not to like him.

Back
Top Bottom