Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Mannie was great but I don't know if I can put him on the same tier as Dre

Nah he ain't up there and Fresh was a monster in the early Cash Money days. I Got That Work is one of my fav produced albums but after that era he never really had another run. He had a couple great joints with Tip and Jeezy between 04-05 but that's about it.

Dre, Tim, Premo, Quik are on a different level. I'll put Paul and Juicy in there too because a lot of these producers today are chasing their sound from 20 years ago. Zay getting up there too.

Nah he ain't up there and Fresh was a monster in the early Cash Money days. I Got That Work is one of my fav produced albums but after that era he never really had another run. He had a couple great joints with Tip and Jeezy between 04-05 but that's about it.

Dre, Tim, Premo, Quik are on a different level. I'll put Paul and Juicy in there too because a lot of these producers today are chasing their sound from 20 years ago. Zay getting up there too.

Paul and Juice def are up there for me. RZA orchestrated too many classics too.

Ross probably had a major dilemma on his hands :lol:
CE58C143-E4B0-488C-9C19-014149596200.gif

I'm good on the Ross joint forreal.

There's a couple songs that might stay with me...most won't, like most of post-prime (2010-2013) Ross. I'll take a Ross feature over a project in 2019. Allows me to absorb what he does best in smaller, concentrated doses and not an hour of music.

What about all the stuff he did for Cash Money prior to them really blowing up? I always loved the fact that his style was so versatile. I think Back That *** Up is one of the nastiest pieces of music ever. I wouldn't have heard that and knew he was the same dude who produced Bling Bling, Ha, Tha Block is Hot etc. I love that Mannie was different with his music. I actually hated when he left CM because all his stuff was the same i.e. And Then What, Turn It Up, Move Around etc. I definitely put Mannie up there with the best of them.

Alchemist low-key might be in this producer discussion. I don't think he's ever made a bad beat.
Dilla ain't been mentioned yet either.
Madlib/Doom are beasts too
Muggs been putting work in for almost 30 years and his name never comes up

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom