Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

The rush to anoint Lil Baby as “The Guy” NEVER felt organic.

Just “too soon”.

I think ppl are expecting him to enter that tier that Wayne was in, in like 08/09. Even though that’s when Wayne fell off musically, but commercially peaked.

The funny thing is, Lil Baby probably exceeded expectations too soon. He was already one of the best selling artists by like 2019/2020…and multiple legit organic hits. Street hits that still to this day go. And this is a guy that was on livmixtapes 24 months prior, and just came home from jail and started rapping.

People just looking for the “next” and it will happen and shake out whenever the time is right. I wouldn’t count him out.

Ppl looking for another album or moment to collectively crown him as “the guy”.

Just “too soon”.

I think ppl are expecting him to enter that tier that Wayne was in, in like 08/09. Even though that’s when Wayne fell off musically, but commercially peaked.

The funny thing is, Lil Baby probably exceeded expectations too soon. He was already one of the best selling artists by like 2019/2020…and multiple legit organic hits. Street hits that still to this day go. And this is a guy that was on livmixtapes 24 months prior, and just came home from jail and started rapping.

People just looking for the “next” and it will happen and shake out whenever the time is right. I wouldn’t count him out.

Ppl looking for another album or moment to collectively crown him as “the guy”.

I think it’s more likely we’re going to look back at this and conclude that all you just mentioned WAS his moment.

If the optimist imagines a “Future”-esque comeback, I’d counter that with:

1) The landscape has changed tremendously since then digitally that alters how this can play out. That’s for a much larger convo.

2) IMO Future gained his stamp during his mixtape run. There was never this massive crowd anointing him as the savior of rap music after his initial entrance.

3) Lil Baby gonna need some writers and a new sound to break a few barriers across a few crowds, because unlike Wayne…a lot don’t recognize him with having THAT kind of rapping ability.

I think son caught a wave and got the rap superstar kit optically. He doesn’t make the kind of timeless music to have the classic run as “the guy”.

I think it’s more likely we’re going to look back at this and conclude that all you just mentioned WAS his moment.

If the optimist imagines a “Future”-esque comeback, I’d counter that with:

1) The landscape has changed tremendously since then digitally that alters how this can play out. That’s for a much larger convo.

2) IMO Future gained his stamp during his mixtape run. There was never this massive crowd anointing him as the savior of rap music after his initial entrance.

3) Lil Baby gonna need some writers and a new sound to break a few barriers across a few crowds, because unlike Wayne…a lot don’t recognize him with having THAT kind of rapping ability.

I think son caught a wave and got the rap superstar kit optically. He doesn’t make the kind of timeless music to have the classic run as “the guy”.

Baby was cutting his teeth on the mixtape & chiterling circuit before blowing up. Although it came super, super fast…and he benefited from the landscape and the timing.

Like, the “My Dawg” and “Freestyle” joints weren’t supposed to be “classic” records. But they took off, and have a crazy amount of staying power. He spun that off into more bangers, more hits…and Drake came calling at the top of 2018, and the Gunna **** took off, and he was pretty much getting at the table. Then My Turn and a great 2021

He kinda changed the landscapes and optics of that lane or rap. The lil rollercoaster voice flow, his own lil flow…and the rapper stater kit, balling dope boy aestehtic etc.

If I see another rapper randomly rolling his arms with watch and bracelet in the camera, imma lose it :lol:.

What I’m mostly saying is, we’re deep enough in Lil Baby’s career to know that he’s a hit maker. Feature killer and can put out good projects. Wether that translates into being “the guy”….a RARITY for a guy like him, from where he’s from. TIP & MAYBE Jeezy probably the only ones to really occupy that space like THAT. Future just getting his flowers on that level now for real, for erwal.

I been saying it for some years, but he been needing to GET AWAY DROM DURK AND MEEK! ***** just gotta drop **** that will resonate again, and he good. The tide shifting again tho. Everyman rap bout to be back again. So *****s for sure going to have to switch it up.

Just “too soon”.

That's what people was calling him for a min. He literally called himself the new Wayne. It seemed like he was on that pace then hit a lil funk.

One thing I liked bout Baby was he would hop on almost anyone track whether you were big or not and give a quality verse.

Might’ve gave too many of them away, looking back. That Run he was on…when he was doing random features from buzzing Worldstar street artists was a fun time. ***** even gave Skola & Tech some verses. That was a good investment, cuz it took a lot of people to the next level, and outside of being super local.

Worldstar even got a playlist, of like 30 of them features alone :lol:

I definitely still got faith in Baby.

He just gotta learn a new flow. He got the drive and the right people around him to make sure the music is solid.

Baby’s problem is that he stopped messing with Quay Global which is what set his sound apart the first few tapes

Now he just gets on generic *** beats. Songs like “Right On” come to mind

He need another tape with “Hard” in the title and to get back with Quay just to end the “Baby falling off” narrative. Then experiment with some new producers and save those for the album

If that don’t work it’s hella beat styles out there he ain’t touch on. I would like to hear him on that shawty Redd/bankroll fresh/d rich sound that also back popping wit the druggy hipster streetwear kids as “glo” beats lol

Not sure what’s going on with Baby. Hopefully he’s not insulating himself with yes men who won’t speak up when they hear some “meh” type of track, similar to:

He just too rich and not as hungry and maybe a little comfortable

I thought rappers would avoid this trend but it seems like it’s a cycle. Start out hot, get some buzz and mainstream recognition and start putting out BS, then they get back on it. Similar to what happened to the Migos.

He just too rich and not as hungry and maybe a little comfortable

I thought rappers would avoid this trend but it seems like it’s a cycle. Start out hot, get some buzz and mainstream recognition and start putting out BS, then they get back on it. Similar to what happened to the Migos.

Seems like this happens all too often though. Cats get on, get comfortable, and get forgotten about a few years later.

I know I mentioned it before, but again, I just never saw it with lil baby...I'll wait to hear the track officially before givin it a verdict, but I just never saw in him what others did. I think he unfairly got propped up a lil too high, too soon.
Freestyle, drip too hard, whoa and hats off are hard but I don’t listen to lil baby like that frfr. Too much of his stuff sounds the same to me, I don’t listen to NBA for similar reasons. They pump out hella music and that’s cool but it’s not quality to me. Everybody loves California breeze, I skip it.

I figure y’all would love to hear this

Straight bs. I fw Nore but the dots don’t connect at all. Future performed at lil baby birthday concert back in December in Atlanta and 21 and drake were both there too, this is all after the album had been out and spinning for over a month. Nore is my guy but he’s clearly out of the loop on this.

Back
Top Bottom