Re: Why Dark-Skinned People From The Dominican Republic Refuse Their Blackness

instead of reading between the lines of my posts and taking something from them that just isn't there, you might want to read between the lines of some ppl dodging the issue of race like

neo-dodge-bullets.jpg

because they *may* have their own prejudices/underlying issues with african americans and/or black ppl in general which could be the reason why they don't want to be fully associated with black americans.

like someone else said, including me, even african americans have issues with being african american in this country.

instead of reading between the lines of my posts and taking something from them that just isn't there, you might want to read between the lines of some ppl dodging the issue of race like

neo-dodge-bullets.jpg

because they *may* have their own prejudices/underlying issues with african americans and/or black ppl in general which could be the reason why they don't want to be fully associated with black americans.

like someone else said, including me, even african americans have issues with being african american in this country.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by Nako XL

so name every race Nako, can you only be black or white?

I don't even understand where you're going with that...

don't worry where I'm going, answer the question.

lol ok.  no i can't name every race thunderchunk.

but this topic specifically pertains to people of Domincan nationality/American Indian/Spanish American blood denouncing having Black blood (and also the stigma associated with being a dark-skinned Dominican/hispanic person.)

my exchange with IRON MAN was specifically in regards to White/caucasian mexicans as opposed to non-white mexicans.

what do any other races have to do with it?

you want to discuss the immense racial tensions between light skinned and dark skinned indians?  the maori and other south east asians?  the japanese and chinese and koreans? (all genetically unique)?

In the Western hemisphere when you refer to someone as "Black" you are referring specifically to those with genetic ancestry pointing back to Africa.

If we were in New Zealand and having this discussion we'd be talking about Maori Indians.  If we were in India, we'd be talking about dark skinned Indians there.  But since the topic at hand is The Dominican Republic I don't understand why those other races matter...

I'm not exactly trying to outsmart you here, it's a discussion and I don't know how to answer your question without you at least cluing me in as to what you're getting at.  Or are you setting a trap?

Originally Posted by Nako XL

so name every race Nako, can you only be black or white?

I don't even understand where you're going with that...

don't worry where I'm going, answer the question.

lol ok.  no i can't name every race thunderchunk.

but this topic specifically pertains to people of Domincan nationality/American Indian/Spanish American blood denouncing having Black blood (and also the stigma associated with being a dark-skinned Dominican/hispanic person.)

my exchange with IRON MAN was specifically in regards to White/caucasian mexicans as opposed to non-white mexicans.

what do any other races have to do with it?

you want to discuss the immense racial tensions between light skinned and dark skinned indians?  the maori and other south east asians?  the japanese and chinese and koreans? (all genetically unique)?

In the Western hemisphere when you refer to someone as "Black" you are referring specifically to those with genetic ancestry pointing back to Africa.

If we were in New Zealand and having this discussion we'd be talking about Maori Indians.  If we were in India, we'd be talking about dark skinned Indians there.  But since the topic at hand is The Dominican Republic I don't understand why those other races matter...

I'm not exactly trying to outsmart you here, it's a discussion and I don't know how to answer your question without you at least cluing me in as to what you're getting at.  Or are you setting a trap?

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

black isnt only an american term
black jamaicans identify themselves as being black
Never said it's an American term, said it's a loaded term.

When you think of calling someone black, what do you think of?

If I meet a black person from Jamaica, I'm not going to go around saying he's a black Jamaican.  I will just identify him as being Jamaican

But if you did call him black, chances are he won't respond "I'm not black, I'm Jamaican"Question though: what if you met a black person from Canada or England? Would you call them black, or would you call them Canadian/English when referring to their ethnicity?

black isnt only an american term
black jamaicans identify themselves as being black
Never said it's an American term, said it's a loaded term.

When you think of calling someone black, what do you think of?

If I meet a black person from Jamaica, I'm not going to go around saying he's a black Jamaican.  I will just identify him as being Jamaican

But if you did call him black, chances are he won't respond "I'm not black, I'm Jamaican"Question though: what if you met a black person from Canada or England? Would you call them black, or would you call them Canadian/English when referring to their ethnicity?

br00klynrebel: I'm in banned camp and I want to take part in the convo about domiinicans. Post this for me, please? thanks

@ NinjaHood: I agree with you a lot on this board, but you're in complete denial. I am Amerindian(Arawak, or Taino like you call it), white, and black, my hair is extremely curly and it used to be down my back. My parents are from Guyana. My grand mother on my fathers side is full blood arawak, im talking lived in huts when she was growing up and all that. My grand father is white, black, and arawak. My skin as about the same complexion as yours, hair more than likely curlier than yours. People look at me and call me black, Do I say, "no im not black, im Arawak?" No...thats because I am a black man! You dont seem to comprehend that Dominicans can be black. @@@$...look in the mirror you will see it. I have cousins who are damn near yellow with straight long hair and they say they're black and arawak. You keep saying black people this and black people that, but you dont seem to realise that white people look at you and say that youre black. you sound almost as stupid as that girl in the video saying shes not black, when clearly she is.

The funny thing is that Arawak people are looked down on in the caribbean. They call us coolie(although we are not that kind of indian) and buck and all different names. but you want to sit there and deny your blackness...youre in for a rude awakening. and also, you need to read a book or two on your history. Hispaniola (haiti and the dominican republic) had so many slaves sent there. And like all the other islands, lots of the diferent races mixed and had offspring. I would know this...I'm one of them. With that said, you can call me black, arawak, indian, dominican (many people do) I wont cop the tone you do and start denying @@@$. From one black west indian to another, big up your culture and nationality all you want, but just remember to big up your race as well.

I've noticed that all dark skinned dominicans deny being black. they understand the difference between nationality and race very well. Dont use that as an excuse for them. I have this dominican chick in my class who denied having any black in her and said her skin is that color from her being in the sun...This @+@%$ been in america for over 10 years so you know her skin lightened...just like mine did when i moved over here, so imagine how dark she was before. I shut her down quick and let her know that I did take caribbean history growing up, so I know the races that are on hispaniola. I know this very light skinned dominican girl who hates other dominicans because they deny their blackness and she is quick to say shes black.

We're working with hypothetical responses and only allowing black as a possible race...
all the while salty African Americans are saying 'you're not unique, you're just like us"

We're working with hypothetical responses and only allowing black as a possible race...
all the while salty African Americans are saying 'you're not unique, you're just like us"

br00klynrebel: I'm in banned camp and I want to take part in the convo about domiinicans. Post this for me, please? thanks

@ NinjaHood: I agree with you a lot on this board, but you're in complete denial. I am Amerindian(Arawak, or Taino like you call it), white, and black, my hair is extremely curly and it used to be down my back. My parents are from Guyana. My grand mother on my fathers side is full blood arawak, im talking lived in huts when she was growing up and all that. My grand father is white, black, and arawak. My skin as about the same complexion as yours, hair more than likely curlier than yours. People look at me and call me black, Do I say, "no im not black, im Arawak?" No...thats because I am a black man! You dont seem to comprehend that Dominicans can be black. @@@$...look in the mirror you will see it. I have cousins who are damn near yellow with straight long hair and they say they're black and arawak. You keep saying black people this and black people that, but you dont seem to realise that white people look at you and say that youre black. you sound almost as stupid as that girl in the video saying shes not black, when clearly she is.

The funny thing is that Arawak people are looked down on in the caribbean. They call us coolie(although we are not that kind of indian) and buck and all different names. but you want to sit there and deny your blackness...youre in for a rude awakening. and also, you need to read a book or two on your history. Hispaniola (haiti and the dominican republic) had so many slaves sent there. And like all the other islands, lots of the diferent races mixed and had offspring. I would know this...I'm one of them. With that said, you can call me black, arawak, indian, dominican (many people do) I wont cop the tone you do and start denying @@@$. From one black west indian to another, big up your culture and nationality all you want, but just remember to big up your race as well.

I've noticed that all dark skinned dominicans deny being black. they understand the difference between nationality and race very well. Dont use that as an excuse for them. I have this dominican chick in my class who denied having any black in her and said her skin is that color from her being in the sun...This @+@%$ been in america for over 10 years so you know her skin lightened...just like mine did when i moved over here, so imagine how dark she was before. I shut her down quick and let her know that I did take caribbean history growing up, so I know the races that are on hispaniola. I know this very light skinned dominican girl who hates other dominicans because they deny their blackness and she is quick to say shes black.

Originally Posted by bleach

To be honest, I would call them Canadian or English.  I consider Idris Elba and English actor, not a black English actor.

That's me, I try hard not to look at a person's skin color, yes I know it's a foreign concept.

Some people on this board think that I somehow think of black people as pieces of #!%@ because of this. 
laugh.gif

Yes, there is discrimination, racism and prejudice.  It still exist, however some people are trapped by the color of their own skin and are scared to step out of those shackles that bind them to this outdated form of thinking.  It's the, don't judge me based on the color of my skin, but acknowledge me based on the color of my skin.  The dreaded "Race Card", there are times where it is justified, but let's face there are times where people try to exploit it for their own personal gain (Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton).

To be honest, I would call them Canadian or English.  I consider Idris Elba and English actor, not a black English actor.

That's me, I try hard not to look at a person's skin color, yes I know it's a foreign concept.

Some people on this board think that I somehow think of black people as pieces of #!%@ because of this. 
laugh.gif

Yes, there is discrimination, racism and prejudice.  It still exist, however some people are trapped by the color of their own skin and are scared to step out of those shackles that bind them to this outdated form of thinking.  It's the, don't judge me based on the color of my skin, but acknowledge me based on the color of my skin.  The dreaded "Race Card", there are times where it is justified, but let's face there are times where people try to exploit it for their own personal gain (Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton).

laugh.gif

It's admirable if your claim is true that you try not to see color, but you'd sound pretty silly if the topic of his race came up and you kept dancing around it and said English.

laugh.gif

It's admirable if your claim is true that you try not to see color, but you'd sound pretty silly if the topic of his race came up and you kept dancing around it and said English.

Originally Posted by debs 168

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

debs I don't feel like quoting your whole response but reading in between the lines of what you wrote, no hate but IMO it sounds like you are unconfortable with who you are. Almost to the point if someone is not like you, since you cannot change yourself you condemn others for not being like you...

its too bad that you got that out of my posts in this thread.
i'm comfortable enough with myself, my ethnicity and my race to answer a simple question if asked.

i'm comfortable enough to know where i come from.

i'm comfortable enough to accept the fact that others deny who they are but not at all content with it and will never try to take up for someone like that.
wink.gif

an individual can do whatever they want. it doesn't bother me one way or the other to be honest, but i'm going to call a spade a spade. if nobody else here has a problem with somebody here calling african americans generic while accepting and taking part in african american culture then continue.

Exactly how I thought you would react. Which is stating you don't have a problem .....but other people do and that your glad that your not like them. Kind of reminds me of the child that does something wrong but then to make themself feel better points out someone else's wrongdoings.  

Originally Posted by debs 168

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

debs I don't feel like quoting your whole response but reading in between the lines of what you wrote, no hate but IMO it sounds like you are unconfortable with who you are. Almost to the point if someone is not like you, since you cannot change yourself you condemn others for not being like you...

its too bad that you got that out of my posts in this thread.
i'm comfortable enough with myself, my ethnicity and my race to answer a simple question if asked.

i'm comfortable enough to know where i come from.

i'm comfortable enough to accept the fact that others deny who they are but not at all content with it and will never try to take up for someone like that.
wink.gif

an individual can do whatever they want. it doesn't bother me one way or the other to be honest, but i'm going to call a spade a spade. if nobody else here has a problem with somebody here calling african americans generic while accepting and taking part in african american culture then continue.

Exactly how I thought you would react. Which is stating you don't have a problem .....but other people do and that your glad that your not like them. Kind of reminds me of the child that does something wrong but then to make themself feel better points out someone else's wrongdoings.  

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Why would race have to be brought up in the first place? Is it necessary?

Yes it is, that's the hypothetical this whole thing is based on, if the subject of race was brought up, not on a lovely conversation between peers over tea and crumpets.

Yes it is, that's the hypothetical this whole thing is based on, if the subject of race was brought up, not on a lovely conversation between peers over tea and crumpets.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

I don't get it.

Ninjahood has Black and/or African, Spanish, Latino, plus whatever else DNA in him.
He practices "Black culture" in addition to "Latino Culture."

How is he only Latino, but not Black as well? 
because of born from Dominican parents which makes me 100% hispanic...ask carmelo anthony what he is and he'll say he's black & puerto rican

black people who just happen to be born in hispanic countries are not real latinos and will never get treated as such
laugh.gif

if your born dominican your gonna get treated like a dominican....ya sound ridiculous in here

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

I don't get it.

Ninjahood has Black and/or African, Spanish, Latino, plus whatever else DNA in him.
He practices "Black culture" in addition to "Latino Culture."

How is he only Latino, but not Black as well? 
because of born from Dominican parents which makes me 100% hispanic...ask carmelo anthony what he is and he'll say he's black & puerto rican

black people who just happen to be born in hispanic countries are not real latinos and will never get treated as such
laugh.gif

if your born dominican your gonna get treated like a dominican....ya sound ridiculous in here

Originally Posted by TezzyTooLive

even more funny is the arguement is over the term black� hispanics dont get offended being called white
ohwell.gif

works both ways...we dont clain white either..which annoyed this girl

so your assertion that we embrace "white" culture is dead wrong

Back
Top Bottom