Re: Why Dark-Skinned People From The Dominican Republic Refuse Their Blackness

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

In the United States, a Black Hispanic[sup][2][/sup] or Afro American Hispanic[sup][2][/sup] (Spanish: Afrohispano, literally, "Afro Hispanic") is an American citizen or resident who is officially classified by the United States Census Bureau, Office of Management and Budget and other U.S. government agencies as a Black American of Hispanic descent. African American/Black American, itself an official U.S. racial category legally refers to people residing in the United States who have "origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa."[sup][3][/sup] For further discussion on the term African American, please see that article.

Hispanicity, which is independent of race, is the only ethnic category, as opposed to racial category, which is officially collated by the U.S. Census Bureau. The distinction made by government agencies for those within the population of any official race category, including "African American", is between those who report Hispanic backgrounds and all others who do not. In the case of African Americans/Black Americans, these two groups are respectively termed "Black Hispanics/Afro American Hispanics" and "non-Hispanic Black Americans/non-Hispanic Black Americans", the former being those who report Black African ethnicity as well as a Hispanic ancestral background (Spain and Hispanic Latin America), and the latter consisting of an ethnically diverse collection of all others who are classified as Black or African Americans that do not report Hispanic ethnic backgrounds.

ohwell.gif
like i said, da US respects there's a difference..why can't black people step off?

The U.S. also respects "Black hispanic" as a category....did you even read what I posted. That is the conclusion you came to reading that?
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Why can't you be black AND hispanic. Black is a race/general term for members of the Afro-diaspora not a culture/ethnic group/country

Me and my boy are dying
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

You want him to claim a percentage?

Want him to claim 27% black?

And you guys whine about white oppressors and brainwashing? Lol
laugh.gif

they mad.

it must KILL them that carmelo anthony says he's black AND puertorican even though son speaks no spanish, and according to them being a hispanics means your black
laugh.gif

"we can't he just say he's just black
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
"
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

they mad.

it must KILL them that carmelo anthony says he's black AND puertorican even though son speaks no spanish, and according to them being a hispanics means your black
laugh.gif

"we can't he just say he's just black
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
"
laugh.gif

Why can't you be black AND hispanic.
do i have a black father? no...do i have a black mother? no...their both dominican, which makes me 100% latino

do i have a black father? no...do i have a black mother? no...their both dominican, which makes me 100% latino

Want him to claim x% black?

He doesn't need to claim anything at the end of the day, he can call himself euro-spanish for all I care. My issue is with him grouping other members of the African diaspora while taking himself out when technically speaking he qualifies as being black. In doing so he also groups all Hispanics into one huge culture when this is also far from the truth. That's like me saying I ain't black I'm African. Like all Africans share the same culture, and like I don't qualify as being part of the "black race". 

Want him to claim x% black?

He doesn't need to claim anything at the end of the day, he can call himself euro-spanish for all I care. My issue is with him grouping other members of the African diaspora while taking himself out when technically speaking he qualifies as being black. In doing so he also groups all Hispanics into one huge culture when this is also far from the truth. That's like me saying I ain't black I'm African. Like all Africans share the same culture, and like I don't qualify as being part of the "black race". 

bottomline is, da United States Respects hispanics as their own separate group...why can't black comes to grips with that? if David Ortiz tells someone he's not black he's dominican, why does that bother you? because ya have same skin color?

Anton Lavey doesn't speak for black people. I understand both of your points. However, I could give a #+!* less what another man chooses to identify with that's his own choice. As simple as that.

bottomline is, da United States Respects hispanics as their own separate group...why can't black comes to grips with that? if David Ortiz tells someone he's not black he's dominican, why does that bother you? because ya have same skin color?

Anton Lavey doesn't speak for black people. I understand both of your points. However, I could give a #+!* less what another man chooses to identify with that's his own choice. As simple as that.

One thing I learned a long times.

Every Hispanic person I know, dark or light is very proud of their nationality. I work with a Colombian chick and if you call her Mexican its a wrap.

David Ortiz is darker than me. Wayyyyy darker and so is Ninjahood. So if being labeled as "black" robs them of that I ain't mad.

But it is funny that the ones that look the most "black" get the tightest about their nationality.

One thing I learned a long times.

Every Hispanic person I know, dark or light is very proud of their nationality. I work with a Colombian chick and if you call her Mexican its a wrap.

David Ortiz is darker than me. Wayyyyy darker and so is Ninjahood. So if being labeled as "black" robs them of that I ain't mad.

But it is funny that the ones that look the most "black" get the tightest about their nationality.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by bleach

just out of curiosity, let's say a black haitian couple moves to DR, and they have a child that is born in DR, grows up there, goes to school there etc. What ethnicity would you consider this person?
umm 1/2 haitian 1/2 dominican...i know alot of em

Trinidad da boxer has dominican parents and when he was born it was puerto rico so he's both as another example.

I want to see them run up on a dancehall party and tell them to stop dancing the 'dutty wine', they must stanky leg only
tell them they're not unique and that mesh tank tops are floppin.
better yet, tell them their kids are claiming your culture as theirs even though graffiti started with Dominicans, rap from Jamaicans, and bboying from Puerto Ricans

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
you dudes have me in tears right now.  IRON MAN and the other cats trying to rationalize this dude ninja have to be scratching their heads right now.

BEING DOMINICAN IS NOT A RACIAL DESIGNATION!!!!!  This dude basically just said "NAH YO I'M HALF NEW YORK HALF NEW JERSEYAN, B!"

There's a difference between ones nationality, religion, cultural identity and what race he is. 
No one's trying to force dude to claim that he's Black.  It jsut makes zero sense when he says "I'm NOT Black because my parents were born in the Dominican." What???

In case he missed it again
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by bleach

just out of curiosity, let's say a black haitian couple moves to DR, and they have a child that is born in DR, grows up there, goes to school there etc. What ethnicity would you consider this person?
umm 1/2 haitian 1/2 dominican...i know alot of em

Trinidad da boxer has dominican parents and when he was born it was puerto rico so he's both as another example.

I want to see them run up on a dancehall party and tell them to stop dancing the 'dutty wine', they must stanky leg only
tell them they're not unique and that mesh tank tops are floppin.
better yet, tell them their kids are claiming your culture as theirs even though graffiti started with Dominicans, rap from Jamaicans, and bboying from Puerto Ricans

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
you dudes have me in tears right now.  IRON MAN and the other cats trying to rationalize this dude ninja have to be scratching their heads right now.

BEING DOMINICAN IS NOT A RACIAL DESIGNATION!!!!!  This dude basically just said "NAH YO I'M HALF NEW YORK HALF NEW JERSEYAN, B!"

There's a difference between ones nationality, religion, cultural identity and what race he is. 
No one's trying to force dude to claim that he's Black.  It jsut makes zero sense when he says "I'm NOT Black because my parents were born in the Dominican." What???

In case he missed it again
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

It has nothing to do with him saying I'm half Black or whatever percentage.  The point is he always goes out of his way to state that he is absolutely 0% Black and draw a distinct line between himself and "Black people" when it's nonsensical.  "What are you?" "Dominican."  "Cool? You know what where your ancestors are from? Like you got any Black in you?" "Nah, fam.  None.  Because my parents were born in Da DR."

He doesn't understand where you were born has little to nothing to do with your race.  It literally is absurd as claiming "Nah I'm not Black, I'm New Yorkan."  When the topic is specifically race, as is the case in this thread that he chose to participate in, then people are going to call him out for denouncing Black and doing so so nonsensically.

I'm sorry.  If you take issue with race being the subject, then this isn't the thread to be in.  But since he and you are, then yes people are going to point at his inability to understand that he is Dominican nationally and culturally, but part Black racially and genetically.

He is a Black man of Dominican descent.  But he's still part Black.  Anton is a Black man of Nigerian descent but he's still Black.  African taken to Brazil and mixed with Indian blood?  Your descendants are still PART BLACK.

It's like saying "I'm not a fruit because I grew in a tree.  Therefore I'm an Orange."

It has nothing to do with him saying I'm half Black or whatever percentage.  The point is he always goes out of his way to state that he is absolutely 0% Black and draw a distinct line between himself and "Black people" when it's nonsensical.  "What are you?" "Dominican."  "Cool? You know what where your ancestors are from? Like you got any Black in you?" "Nah, fam.  None.  Because my parents were born in Da DR."

He doesn't understand where you were born has little to nothing to do with your race.  It literally is absurd as claiming "Nah I'm not Black, I'm New Yorkan."  When the topic is specifically race, as is the case in this thread that he chose to participate in, then people are going to call him out for denouncing Black and doing so so nonsensically.

I'm sorry.  If you take issue with race being the subject, then this isn't the thread to be in.  But since he and you are, then yes people are going to point at his inability to understand that he is Dominican nationally and culturally, but part Black racially and genetically.

He is a Black man of Dominican descent.  But he's still part Black.  Anton is a Black man of Nigerian descent but he's still Black.  African taken to Brazil and mixed with Indian blood?  Your descendants are still PART BLACK.

It's like saying "I'm not a fruit because I grew in a tree.  Therefore I'm an Orange."

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

This is kinda what's making me disinterested in this, dude keeps reading it as salty african americans mad that they don't claim em instead of Anton the black nigerian-american making a simple point from the pov of race.  Sons should've just stayed clear.

Dominican is not a race
laugh.gif
. There are people in this county who have had white grandparents and great grandparents and they are considered black
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
. What makes you 100% latino, cause you speak Spanish?

Dominican is not a race
laugh.gif
. There are people in this county who have had white grandparents and great grandparents and they are considered black
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
. What makes you 100% latino, cause you speak Spanish?

Not at all,
laugh.gif

I clearly see what he is trying to say even though I don't agree with the way he is doing it.  I don't agree with this notion of forcing him to embrace his "blackness".

He identifies himself based on his culture, ethnicity, heritage as opposed to his "race".  This contingent is basing their argument on race and genetics, when in reality we ARE ALL a mix of everything.

I'm only speaking from a personal standpoint, I've mentioned the physical traits my parents have.  It's a wide mixture, so to call myself a "White Mexican" is ridiculous since my family is littered with a variety of European and Indigenous features.  I mentioned my dad looked like a carbon copy of an Aztec Warrior, his father (my grandfather) had a dark complexion with ocean blue eyes.

Seperating people solely based on race, an arbitrary term and designation, is ridiculous.

Not at all,
laugh.gif

I clearly see what he is trying to say even though I don't agree with the way he is doing it.  I don't agree with this notion of forcing him to embrace his "blackness".

He identifies himself based on his culture, ethnicity, heritage as opposed to his "race".  This contingent is basing their argument on race and genetics, when in reality we ARE ALL a mix of everything.

I'm only speaking from a personal standpoint, I've mentioned the physical traits my parents have.  It's a wide mixture, so to call myself a "White Mexican" is ridiculous since my family is littered with a variety of European and Indigenous features.  I mentioned my dad looked like a carbon copy of an Aztec Warrior, his father (my grandfather) had a dark complexion with ocean blue eyes.

Seperating people solely based on race, an arbitrary term and designation, is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

This is kinda what's making me disinterested in this, dude keeps reading it as salty african americans mad that they don't claim em instead of Anton the black nigerian-american making a simple point from the pov of race.  Sons should've just stayed clear.

lol @ anyone telling dominicans how they should feel and view themselves

%%*% outta here with that bs

dudes don't want to be lumped in with some of you. they have very little in common with you. you ain't changing anyone's mind, so accept it and move on

lol @ anyone telling dominicans how they should feel and view themselves

%%*% outta here with that bs

dudes don't want to be lumped in with some of you. they have very little in common with you. you ain't changing anyone's mind, so accept it and move on

Back
Top Bottom