Renting Rooms...Easy Hustle?

Last year my co-worker rented a 3br Apt and was trying to recruit potential roommates at work. I didnt think he'd be able to find anyone willing to pay $450/mo (cause you can rent a 1br at that same cost) but he found two tenants in under a month. He explained with him covering utilities, cable and internet both roommates save money.

Now where it gets interesting...after 4 months no one had "claimed" the living room or setup anything there, so he went to IKEA and bought this panel divider that folds out like an accordion. Since that space is only 12x8, he rented it for $300. So with that idea he went from simply living for free, to actually earning a profit.

But he aint stoppin there...when the 3rd guy moved in, he'd go on a shopping spree at the start of the month when the funds hit his EBT card and the fridge would be overflowing. So he bought everybody compact fridges to put in their room, and got rid of the big frodge in the kitchen. And hes contemplating doing away with the Stove and getting everybody microwaves/tabletop appliances. With the kitchen being empty, hed then set up another partition and rent that out to somebody...i thought it would be awkward having a bed surrounded by a sink, and cupboards and cabinets, but apparently he already has someone interested...

Anybody else know of people doing this? Seems like a relatively low-cost venture to jump into, worst case scenario you dont make any money, but essentially you're living for free...

Last year my co-worker rented a 3br Apt and was trying to recruit potential roommates at work. I didnt think he'd be able to find anyone willing to pay $450/mo (cause you can rent a 1br at that same cost) but he found two tenants in under a month. He explained with him covering utilities, cable and internet both roommates save money.

Now where it gets interesting...after 4 months no one had "claimed" the living room or setup anything there, so he went to IKEA and bought this panel divider that folds out like an accordion. Since that space is only 12x8, he rented it for $300. So with that idea he went from simply living for free, to actually earning a profit.

But he aint stoppin there...when the 3rd guy moved in, he'd go on a shopping spree at the start of the month when the funds hit his EBT card and the fridge would be overflowing. So he bought everybody compact fridges to put in their room, and got rid of the big frodge in the kitchen. And hes contemplating doing away with the Stove and getting everybody microwaves/tabletop appliances. With the kitchen being empty, hed then set up another partition and rent that out to somebody...i thought it would be awkward having a bed surrounded by a sink, and cupboards and cabinets, but apparently he already has someone interested...

Anybody else know of people doing this? Seems like a relatively low-cost venture to jump into, worst case scenario you dont make any money, but essentially you're living for free...
Renting rooms in someone's house is a very popular thing to do. Apartments are a little trickier.

Two things.

Your roommate might be breaking the terms of his lease by doing what he is doing (I would guess that he is). Many landlords don't want their tenants sub-leasing. Especially if they are not getting a cut. One or maybe even two people and folk might not care, but four people and changing the apartment set-up is major. Maybe his landlord is cool with it, but I know people that got in trouble when their landlord found out about their set-up.

Second, you lowkey exposed the fact that dude might be committing fraud. :lol:

Reminds me when i was younger, this one apartment we lived at the unit across the hall from us was being rented by like 10 Sri Lankan mans. I remember one day they were leaving and you could see inside the apartment when they opened the door, there was just mattresses on the floor nothing else.

They were all splitting the rent, saving in that way, and sending most of the money they made from their jobs back home to their families.

Bro, in LA they renting out tool sheds with do it yourself bathrooms for 1100 a month and that’s a bargain
no cap

its brazy out here man

i really am appalled at the lack of action from local gov't in regards to housing.

they giving crazy incentives to developers for building affordable housing.

Short stay motel room would be a better idea , just got to wash to sheets and empty the trash cans

What city?

It seems like he is eating but short term leasing is actually illegal even if you own the place, if you are renting it's a super violation and he could get evicted and blow his whole spot up.

I remember the first time I went to NYC and hooped with everyone from NT, in 09, I stayed in an AirBNB owned by Regine Asaba of Cameroon (The Comfort Stay, google her I think it was 122nd st or something). I had booked the entire spot then I got there and she hit me on some sorry my daughter is in town so I gave her the unit you rented, dont report me to AIrbnb though you can stay here in the next door unit for $20 in the living room. It was late and my phone and Asus Netbook were losing charge so I was like f it and gave her 80 for the 4 nights. She was very nice, gave me a chicken and a thing of peanuts and new toiletries. It was just as you described, a curtain hanging behind the living room couch and a bunkbed. I had to get my *** on the top bunk too because the guy who manages all her listings online posting them on all the hostel sites, CL, etc slept on the bottom bunk free in exchange. So sicne I was jus in the front psart of the house, you couldn't tell how big it was, just a living room, a kitchen, a bathroom and a door that apparently went to more rooms. I kept just seeing mother****as coming in there like by the couples, it was mad uncomfortable. I just got up super early so I'd get the bathroom first and took a shower and bounced in the morning, left my chicken and peanuts and 60 more dollars and everything and ended up catching the Newark Hilton connected to the train station for the low.

So I've stayed at one but never done it. it makes sense though to help with your mortgage if you can spare the space and don't mind the strangers and inconvenience aspect. Renting out the kitchen as its own space is doing too much though. Let everyone have their mini fridges and the real kitchen.

There's nowhere that I have been to that I think I want to be in or near that bad that I'd subject myself to living that way. This is almost as bad as those $1500 "pods" in San Francisco iirc or that West St Louis apartment with the kitchen, toilet, living room, bathtub all 1 spot.

I didnt think he'd be able to find anyone willing to pay $450/mo (cause you can rent a 1br at that same cost)

Where TF you living at bro? If $450 a month got you a 1BD place, I would have like 3 or 4 of those MFers spread out around the Bay Area.

A nice 1BD will cost close to 10x that in my area. SMFH.

I've seen this in the Bay area. Have those sub dividers and rent out to more people but the living situations are pretty sketch when you have so many people living together. There's going to be very little privacy, hard to use kitchens/bathrooms, more maintenance. Sub-leasing in general is against most/majority of lease agreements and would be evict-able.

$1500 a month bros, cash app me $notaslumlord
DmBYJigX4AAEcl0

Bro, in LA they renting out tool sheds with do it yourself bathrooms for 1100 a month and that’s a bargain
Just to try some major cities in the us out. None of these are nice per say, but if that's where someone was at in life sure.

https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/32.48932,33.14532,-97.28782,-96.26664_xy/0-500_price/ (had to expand metro area for Dallas)

Brings back memories of being a 20-something fresh outta undergrad trying to find housing in a major market. Craigslist's Housing section features "rooms/shared" listing and hoping for the best when the poster responds to your inquiry :lol:

Last edited:
seems like more of a headache than easy money
I agree. Who tf wants to live in a room separated by a partition... seems like the people you’d be renting to would be sketchy AF, unreliable, and prob only there for a short period before they move or need to be evicted

Back
Top Bottom