Reply to ESPN blog entry: NBA Double Standard Kobe and Lebron

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Most people I've met say that MJ's most impressive statistical season was the year he averaged 32.5, 8 & 8, not his 37 and 35 ppg seasons.
laugh.gif
Who have you met sir?

Also, all I've heard when it comes to the Cavs record is eastern conference this and eastern conference that.. But just compare the Lakers' recordagainst the teams from the eastern conference with their record against the teams from the west.

Originally Posted by kicks4days

A Tale of Two Standards
Jordan-esque

Two seasons ago:
Kobe averaged 35.4 ppg, dropped 81 points, and carried his team with a starting line-up of guys like Smush Parker and Kwame Brown with 8 wins over .500 to the playoffs in the tougher Western Conference, yet he only finished 3rd in MVP voting.

This season:
Lebron's averaging 30, 7, 7 this season and has his team similarly 8 wins over .500 too but in a much easier Eastern Conference, yet everyone's calling him MVP.

Why?

Kobe keeps his team afloat in the tough West... not enough.
Lebron keeps his team afloat in the breezy East... MVP.

Double-standard, simple as that.

This season, when Kobe finally got the help he's been asking for, his critics still tear him down, claiming he is undeserving of MVP because he finally got help.

Kobe just can't seem to win.

How can he?

It's absurd that some would even say that maybe Pau Gasol should be the MVP. It has gotten ridiculously silly to the point that some people started questioning Kobe's value on HIS own team when the Lakers were atop the Western Conference early this season in January, including a 7 game winning streak, that it shouldn't be Kobe garnering the MVP, but Andrew Bynum!!!

Marinate in that for a moment.

Kobe kept his team afloat .500 by going 5-5 when Bynum went down, and before Gasol came on board.

No one seem to even noticed that both Bynum and Gasol are playing at a high (and higher) level this year because of... who else? Kobe. Their big FG% jump alone is more than indication itself.

But "NO", what Kobe has been doing is simply not enough. If Kobe carries his team to the playoffs - not enough. When Kobe finally gets his help and is #1 in the tough West - not enough. What's Kobe to do?

The media always has a love/hate relationship with Kobe.

But Bron Bron, never.

The media's love-fest for Lebron's stat line and the Cavs being 8 games over .500 mark in the breezy East is all that matters I guess.

Forget that Kobe once scored 81 points, and led the league with 35.4 ppg - the highest since Jordan, not to mention carrying his Smush/Kwame team to the Western playoffs in all the same season. Those are nothing compared to Lebron's back to back triple doubles (although one game being a loss) this season and the fact that he's also keeping his team afloat in the East.

If Lebron did what Kobe did 2 seasons ago, do you think he would've gotten the MVP?

In a HEARTBEAT.

Kobe vs Lebron?

Kobe has no chance because the "Double-standard" rule is in full effect.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

If that's true, then Ted Green is right (article). The award should be put on the shelf and never be dusted off again. Because MVP will just stand for "Media's Valuable Posterchild".
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop...saction=newpost&status=ok&status=ok&status=ok

Discuss

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
This WHOLE article is bias. Check out his wording. Dude sounds likethe typical Kobe rider you'll find on Niketalk. Downplay Lebron, or whoever Kobe is being compared to and hype the HELL outta Kobe.

Anyway, Kobe, as of now, should be mvp. But, the people saying if they get the 2 seed AT LEAST, that kobe should be MVP is acting like the league OWES himsomething. What if, Chris Paul got his team to the # 1 seed? You dont' think he deserves it over kobe?

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

This season:
Lebron's averaging 30, 7, 7 this season and has his team similarly 8 wins over .500 too but in a much easier Eastern Conference, yet everyone's calling him MVP.
False. And its another classic case of creating an angle that suits you to write a story. Sure, we've heard people talk about Lebron having an MVP-like year so far. But to say "everyone's calling him MVP" ? Ehhhhh. All i keep hearing about is Chris Paul, Kobe, and KG all year beyond James.

Ive heard/read about James about as much as kb, cp3, kg.

/\ That article isn't downplaying Lebron at all...they're just saying when Kobe put up ridiculous numbers but his team's record wasn't overallhe couldn't get the award...but Lebron has a big campaign for the award in the same situation.

I love how the guy who wrote the article mentions how Kobe averaged "35.4" ppg, but LeBron's current average of 8.1 rebounds somehow rounds off to "7". Since he mentioned 35.4, he should've mentioned LeBron's averages and at least attempt to sound objective: 30.2, 8.1 & 7.4 (looks a little better than "30, 7 & 7", eh?), not to mention 2.0 steals and 1.0 blocks. Sorry, but these numbers are just flat out more impressive than the numbers Kobe had the year he averaged 35.4. Most people I've met say that MJ's most impressive statistical season was the year he averaged 32.5, 8 & 8, not his 37 and 35 ppg seasons.

You act like Kobe averaged 35.4 0 and 0 that season. Don't forget he also was getting 5 plus boards and 4 plus assists and got a team with Luke,Kwame, and Smush AS STARTERS to the playoffs in the west. End your argument now.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

/\ That article isn't downplaying Lebron at all...they're just saying when Kobe put up ridiculous numbers but his team's record wasn't overall he couldn't get the award...but Lebron has a big campaign for the award in the same situation.

He downplayed Bron by giving him a 30, 7 and 7 avg. instead of a 30, 8, 7 avg. I mean, it's not a BIG deal BUT he still did downplay him AND all thewhile trying to act like Kobe was playing with a team FULL of Smuch Parkers and Kwame Browns.
plus assists and got a team with Luke, Kwame, and Smush AS STARTERS to the playoffs in the west. End your argument now.
Man, Luke was the FRONT runner for Most Improved until he got injured. Y'all need to stop downplaying the Lakers as if they were"NBDL" players cause i LOVE how one year they are NBDL players and all of a sudden a year later they turn into CHAMPIONSHIP contenders. If they wereREALLY that bad, y'all damn sure would NOT be this good already just with the addition of ONE Pau Gasol. Hell, i wouldn't mind having NBDL playerslike Sasha, Bynum, Turiaf and Farmar on my squad. Oh, i forgot, it's ALL Kobe right?

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
This WHOLE article is bias. Check out his wording. Dude sounds like the typical Kobe rider you'll find on Niketalk. Downplay Lebron, or whoever Kobe is being compared to and hype the HELL outta Kobe.

Anyway, Kobe, as of now, should be mvp. But, the people saying if they get the 2 seed AT LEAST, that kobe should be MVP is acting like the league OWES him something. What if, Chris Paul got his team to the # 1 seed? You dont' think he deserves it over kobe?
I don't think anyone is downplaying what Bron is doing this season. If Bron wins the MVP it will be well deserved. The writer does seem to bebiased towards Kobe, but those 2 seasons are very comparable.

I think we should just appreciate what were witnessing right now with these 2 players. Kobe and Bron will both go down as two of the best to ever play thegame. Instead of arguing who is better just be glad you're able to watch these 2 greats play the game.

Also, all I've heard when it comes to the Cavs record is eastern conference this and eastern conference that.. But just compare the Lakers' record against the teams from the eastern conference with their record against the teams from the west.
Cavs are 15-13 against the West

Lakers are 17-9 against the East.

What is your point????

He downplayed Bron by giving him a 30, 7 and 7 avg. instead of a 30, 8, 7 avg. I mean, it's not a BIG deal BUT he still did downplay him AND all the while trying to act like Kobe was playing with a team FULL of Smuch Parkers and Kwame Browns.
no offense but that was 40 percent of the starting lineup

Also, all I've heard when it comes to the Cavs record is eastern conference this and eastern conference that.. But just compare the Lakers' record against the teams from the eastern conference with their record against the teams from the west.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Great point.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This guy.

MVP is given by the media to the best player on the best team.
Since the West is the toughest it's ever been this year, I expect whoever is the higher seed(between Kobe and CP3) to get it.

Also CP3 this year>Nash's 2 "MVP" seasons

I used to care if he wins an MVP or not, but as long as the Lakers go to the finals and win the series, its all going to be fine...at least for me.

Originally Posted by Cryverson

What is your point????

Damn, son just got served a slice of humble pie.

Originally Posted by OneTrust

/\ That article isn't downplaying Lebron at all...they're just saying when Kobe put up ridiculous numbers but his team's record wasn't overall he couldn't get the award...but Lebron has a big campaign for the award in the same situation.

He downplayed Bron by giving him a 30, 7 and 7 avg. instead of a 30, 8, 7 avg. I mean, it's not a BIG deal BUT he still did downplay him AND all the while trying to act like Kobe was playing with a team FULL of Smuch Parkers and Kwame Browns.
plus assists and got a team with Luke, Kwame, and Smush AS STARTERS to the playoffs in the west. End your argument now.
Man, Luke was the FRONT runner for Most Improved until he got injured. Y'all need to stop downplaying the Lakers as if they were "NBDL" players cause i LOVE how one year they are NBDL players and all of a sudden a year later they turn into CHAMPIONSHIP contenders. If they were REALLY that bad, y'all damn sure would NOT be this good already just with the addition of ONE Pau Gasol. Hell, i wouldn't mind having NBDL players like Sasha, Bynum, Turiaf and Farmar on my squad. Oh, i forgot, it's ALL Kobe right?

Your argument is luke walton? Hey you ever heard of a contract year? What is he doing now?

The roster from those years and this year is different. No cook, no evans, no smush and no kwame. The reason we are good now is arzia came in, bynum and farmarworked very hard this summer and pau put us over the top.

But some of you want to bash bean and thats fine. I like bron a lot but I do feel that no matter what kobe does it will never be good enough because peoplejust don't like him. Yeah he is cocky but wouldn't you be cocky if you had the skills he had?

I don't even care who wins the MVP. To be honest I hope CP3 wins it because his team would be no where without him and he makes his team better then lebronor kobe makes their team better. Look at his dimes this year.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Cryverson

What is your point????

no offense but that was 40 percent of the starting lineup
I think the point he was trying to make is that the cavs beat the lakers twice this year. Hell the lakers have a 5 game losing streak to the cavs as wespeak.

Lets meet in the finals to see if that changes.
devil.gif

Originally Posted by OneTrust

roll.gif
R u really being serious...Yea he gave 1 less rebound a game...giveme a break... You make it seem like he said Bron was getting 25 5 4 or something like that...
laugh.gif
...this guy really said they downplayed bron by giving him one lessrebound...You missed the whole point of the article obviously....

damn.... who the !%** cares?
laugh.gif
the MVP award is a joke anyways.....

all that matters at the end of the day is a championship...

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

damn.... who the !%** cares?
laugh.gif
the MVP award is a joke anyways.....

all that matters at the end of the day is a championship...

The same guys who always use MVPs to say why Kobe will NEVER come within 5,000 light years of Michael Jordan (not saying that he's better than MJ
laugh.gif
don't wanna start a riot) but they always use this argument(don't make me look up that youtube video). So really Bean has to get at least ONE to cement his legacy. I mean he has 3 championships, is one of thegreatest scorers of all time, best player since Mike left and what does he have to show for it......??? That being said, if LA wins the title this year,hopefully some of the hate can start to disappear. I mean if Kobe did average 30, 7, 6 in 02/03 WITH Shaq on a 50 win team and still didn't win MVP (b/cthe Spurs and Kings I believe had 60+wins that year and LA was a 4 or 5 seed, pretty much identical to the situation LeBron and his Cavs are in right now) soif they somehow give it to LeBron what other excuse is there?

^ .... but based on the award's recent history, LeBron will not win it this season.... I still say Kobe will win it, especially if they go on a hugewinning streak to finish off the season...

and a youtube video?
laugh.gif
... don't take those seriously... I've been around a few youtube videos and some of those comments under the vids werejust........... well I don't even know what to say...
smh.gif

id like to see kg win another mvp but i dont see how people are putting him in this race, whether or not he's more important than pierce is questionable, ithink it should be between kobe and CP3, i mean he made david west an all star, as for lebron i wouldnt be surprised if DAVID STERN announces him as mvp at theend of the season - yeah i know its "based" on voting by the media, SO WHAT

Its a double standard. Stern wants a clean face for the league. I think Kobe is the best player in the league bar none, but its funny because i thought Kobewasnt anything special until the 04 season. Maybe Lebron will just show out and change my mind to. And before you say he does show out he is a dribble dribbledrive player therefor if your team isnt 3 spot up shooters and a Good Big man that team will never go anywere

Back
Top Bottom