Resume Thread vol Get a job you

Reaction score
Hey i thought it would be helpfull to have a resume thread since summer is comming up and some of us might want to get a job. We could give pointers on what to put and help others with their needs. You could post for suggestions on what to put and typical questions..ILL START...ALSO IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT ARE SOME QUALITIES/EXPERIENCE PEOPLE LOOK FOR IN AN APARTMENT MANAGER

Objective- Open internships

Education

California State University, Long Beach (CSULB)

Candidate for Bachelor of Science, Business Administration

Major: International Business Administration

Candidate for Bachelor of Arts, Chicano and Latino Studies

GPA: 3.49   Expected graduation: May 2011

Summary of Qualifications

·         Over three years’ experience in customer service industry

·         Proficient in MS Office- Word, PowerPoint, and Photoshop

·         Fluent in speaking, writing, reading, and translating Spanish

Experience

Teachers Assistant,                                                                             September 2008 to present

SERVE Program, CSULB Work Study, Long Beach, CA

·         Tutor small children in reading and mathematical skills

·         Prepare and organize study materials

·         Grading and filing of work

Cashier, Taco Bell Restaurant, Los Angeles, CA                           July 2008 to September 2008

·        Responsible for multiple cash transactions of up to $500 daily

·        Resolved customer service complaints

·        Organization of store displays

·        Assisting in food preparation

Teachers Assistant, Work Study, Long Beach, CA,                     September 2007 to May 2008

·        Tutor middle school children in science.

·        Prepare science laboratories and other study materials.

·        Grading and filing of work.

Awards/Activities                 

President’s Honor List (Spring 2008)

Dean’s Honor List (Spring 2009)

Member, Golden Key International Honors Society

Member, International Business Association (IBA)

Member, Hispanic Business Student Association (HSBA)

Member, Corporate Mentor Program (CMP)

Recipient of Wells Fargo Hispanic Scholarship

heres what I recommend to anyone who plans to make a resume or needs to fix/update theirs

- keep it 1 page even if you've worked 10 jobs
- keep it all in one tense
- add any additional languages you speak
- add any trainings/accomplishments/ community/ volunteer work
- computer programs you are capable of using
- get it edited by another or two just in case

Hmm..we had a resume thread not too long ago, probably one of the best threads I've ever seen. Had me Diddy boppin my way through the interview
pimp.gif
:smh

If someone knows how to utilize the search feature go on and pull that up it'd be appreciated.

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

take out cashier at taco bell, and your good

Don't, any job you've been able to hold for any amount of time shows discipline.

How do you guys feel about font selection?

I'm considering reformatting mine to use fonts that look normal (nothing obnoxious--just different from arial, and times new roman), but not 100% about the idea. There are so many "normal" looking fonts that have slight tweaks from the generic fonts that I figured it might be a nice way to add a very slight hint of character.

Also, what are your opinions on lines and boxing? I saw one resume and it had a layout that kind of favored that of a restaurant menu, but it was full of really impressive stuff. That is, it had lines (I'm sure there's a better name for it) separating the sections.

laugh.gif
@ working at T. Bell for 3 months and putting it on a resume...

besides that everything is impressive and looks good... if I remember correctly that looks to be the same format and ordering that I was taught to make resumes by one of my business professors

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

How do you guys feel about font selection?

I'm considering reformatting mine to use fonts that look normal (nothing obnoxious--just different from arial, and times new roman), but not 100% about the idea. There are so many "normal" looking fonts that have slight tweaks from the generic fonts that I figured it might be a nice way to add a very slight hint of character.

Also, what are your opinions on lines and boxing? I saw one resume and it had a layout that kind of favored that of a restaurant menu, but it was full of really impressive stuff. That is, it had lines (I'm sure there's a better name for it) separating the sections.

In my opinion (not an esteemed one) it should be whatever you feel is appropriate to your field. For me as an aspiring architect/designer, the resume layout should be clean and creative. If you can add some informative lines without getting too crazy I say go for it. However, the way an architect or graphic designer reads a resume won't be the same as an optometrist. Somebody else might look at mine and say "Why are these words lowercase? Why is the font gray here?"

If you think you can effectively use a different graphic format to grab somebody's attention and stick out from the pack, without confusing them, it can really give you a leg up. Imagine pouring over dozens of resumes every day all in size 12 Times New Roman font
sick.gif

http://issuu.com/samuelrobinson/docs/sam_robinson_s_portfolio_11x17

i've put summer jobs i've only worked a couple of months on my resume. if that's some of the only experience you have, put it on

I would be easier if you posted your resume as a Jpeg as well, so we can see what the layout is like. Layout is pretty important, whether your in design or not since it has to be eye catching to be read.

I would take out the Taco Bell part as well. You should tailor each resume to each job you're applying for. Taco Bell would work if you were a manager there.

Also, I usually put in a lot key search words that recruiters or hiring managers look for. It betters your chances of being found. Hiring managers only take 2 seconds when searching ro reading someones resume., so use the words in abundance and make job/internship bigger than it is.

if you have gaps in your resume just include the year and take out the month at your jobs

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by Jd0t86

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

take out cashier at taco bell, and your good

Don't, any job you've been able to hold for any amount of time shows discipline.
uh..
July 2008 to September 2008
Well, technically 3 months is an amount of time PE...

Seriously though, take that out of your resume.

IMO, that resume is trash.
It's just like everyone else. You will not be selected out a group. You basically have zero extracur. activites. Damn.  I worked on my resume for a whole week, some nights I did not sleep. I got the interview. BOO-YAH.

I hate when people put miscellaneous awards on their resume. It's plain dumb. No one wants to see a laundry list. 1 or 2 awards. and tell me what it took to get those awards.  Tailor your resume to your company you want to get into. All this awards part shows me is waht you recieve and not what you've done. I want to hear what you've done!!!! Because at the end of the day. this is what sets people apart. Experience. Unless you want to go to law school, cough up those numbers, study those testmasters LSATs prep books.
SIGH, I cant deal with this
laugh.gif
i just opened up my resume, haven't seen it in about 5 months. Damn. **pats self on back** pretty impressive david
laugh.gif
damn, i really don't know what to say... Your resume needs so much help

How are your descriptions 4 words long? 5 words long? omg... this is embarrassing son.
    Fluent in speaking, writing, reading, and translating Spanish
laugh.gif
Yeah, why dont you just throw in, breathing, eating and sleeping as well. God damn.
Visit a professional.... it's appalling.
Then college kids come out of college saying... How come I don't got a job??!
tired.gif
tired.gif

If you were trying to be modest, you did helluva job.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

IMO, that resume is trash.
It's just like everyone else. You will not be selected out a group. You basically have zero extracur. activites. Damn.  I worked on my resume for a whole week, some nights I did not sleep. I got the interview. BOO-YAH.

I hate when people put miscellaneous awards on their resume. It's plain dumb. No one wants to see a laundry list. 1 or 2 awards. and tell me what it took to get those awards.  Tailor your resume to your company you want to get into. All this awards part shows me is waht you recieve and not what you've done. I want to hear what you've done!!!! Because at the end of the day. this is what sets people apart. Experience. Unless you want to go to law school, cough up those numbers, study those testmasters LSATs prep books.
SIGH, I cant deal with this
laugh.gif
i just opened up my resume, haven't seen it in about 5 months. Damn. **pats self on back** pretty impressive david
laugh.gif
damn, i really don't know what to say... Your resume needs so much help

How are your descriptions 4 words long? 5 words long? omg... this is embarrassing son.
    Fluent in speaking, writing, reading, and translating Spanish
laugh.gif
Yeah, why dont you just throw in, breathing, eating and sleeping as well. God damn.
Visit a professional.... it's appalling.
Then college kids come out of college saying... How come I don't got a job??!
tired.gif
tired.gif

If you were trying to be modest, you did helluva job.
Man, that's brutal...
laugh.gif

But yeah man, take out Taco Bell...  Especially being there for a couple of months.

Objective- Open internships
I would leave out an objective all together.  It's pretty much self-explanatory.  But if you're going to put one, you might as well be a more elaborate than two words.

I have resume making Software/Programs I'll be more than happy to upload it for nt. upon request.

David seems to provide some good insight, but had to sacrifice OP to give it to us.
laugh.gif

I've never put an 'objective' on my resume--what's the consensus on whether or not to include this? I imagine that an articulate sentence saying what you're looking for would be more appropriate one than in the OP's.

1. TAKE ALL THE PERIODS OUT...DON'T HAVE PERIODS IN A RESUME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. USE ACTIVE WORDS...so for all your experience, use -ED at the end...of everything.
for example, switch it from:

· Responsible for multiple cash transactions of up to $500 daily

· Resolved customer service complaints

· Organization of store displays

· Assisting in food preparation

to:

· Managed cash transactions up to $500 daily

· Resolved customer service complaints

· Organized store displays

· Assisted in food preparation

also, drop the Objective part...if you're applying for a job, they know your objective imo.

and also again
laugh.gif
, i would try to beef up that Qualifications section you have there...if a HR rep sees that short list, they'll assume that's all you're qualified in...i'm SURE you have more skills, etc. than that...

i don't even put that Qualifications section in my resume...but if you really wanna keep it in there, make sure you replicate the words from the job description:

example:

job description says they are looking for a detail oriented, analytical, great communication skills, etc.

-Use ALL those words in the qualifications section.

I could keep going but you get the point...

Main things to correct:

1.Switch all your experience stuff to -ED
2. Lose the periods!

Back
Top Bottom