Roger Federer is certified GOAT

Who's the 2nd greatest then?

People say Nadal can get as many as 15+ slams, but the way he plays won't prolong his career.

I still think Nadal has the chance of being 2nd greatest.

need to cop this
federer_FrenchOpenClassicPolo_09.jpg
pimp.gif

He's in the GOAT discussion, but clear cut GOAT? Maybe after a few more slams/records. Imo, he's GOAT though.

Hes a great player but its a little too soon for this GOAT talk, so many different eras you can't really compare some of these guys.

Too early to tell. Fact is, Nadal is still very young and there's a great possibility that he will complete the career grand slam, beating Roger in all ofthem. Still IMO, the accomplishment of making 20 straight grand slam semi-finals is one of the most impressive records in any sport, so he has a legitimatecase for the GOAT.

Fed is one of the the most gifted tennis players I've ever seen, if not, the most gifted.

However, its too early to call him THE greatest. Wait till he and Rafa retire, then we'll have this discussion. Furthermore, Rafa's head-to-head withFed 13-7... with their Grand Slam final head-to-head being 6-2 in favor of Rafa. With Rafa practically 'owning' Fed in their head-to-head matchups, canwe still consider him to be the greatest?

And we definitely can't just take Rod Laver out of the equation... Laver was able to win the Calendar Grand Slam TWICE... Fed hasn't even comenear to winning 1 Calendar Slam (yes he has) Yes, that was a different era, which is why I don't think its fair to call him THE greatest ever.

Like I said, wait till they retire.

I can't say yet who is GOAT. Apparently Pete has already heralded Fed as the GOAT after his win at French. One thing I do know Fed will have the mostGrandslams in history by the time he retires that should solidify him as the GOAT

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Fed is one of the the most gifted tennis players I've ever seen, if not, the most gifted.

However, its too early to call him THE greatest. Wait till he and Rafa retire, then we'll have this discussion. Furthermore, Rafa's head-to-head with Fed 13-7... with their Grand Slam final head-to-head being 6-2 in favor of Rafa. With Rafa practically 'owning' Fed in their head-to-head matchups, can we still consider him to be the greatest?

And we definitely can't just take Rod Laver out of the equation... Laver was able to win the Calendar Grand Slam TWICE... Fed hasn't even come near to winning 1 Calendar Slam. Yes, that was a different era, which is why I don't think its fair to call him THE greatest ever.

Like I said, wait till they retire.
Agreed for the most part. But I would say Federer came pretty close to winning a Calendar Slam in 2006 and 2007 (won three out of the four GS andwas runner-up at the French Open for both years).

20 consecutive Grand Slam singles semi-finals is just amazing.
pimp.gif

de7boy ~ Lol... you're right... my bad on hisstats... but I hope you do get my point in not calling him THE greatest ever when he's still well into his career and when Rafa's still in his prime.Who knows, Rafa might go nuts and be unstoppable for the next 2 years or Fed might own him for the next 2 years. Lemme go fix my previous post.

FIRST B0RN:
The term GOAT gets thrown around and given away so easily these days.
Definitely.

'GOAT' has been dumbed down to 'excellent right now'.

Nadal is the greatest.

Never saw Maradona, Pele, Jordan, Montana, Naimeth, Babe Ruth, Cy Young, Bobby Jones, Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzky, or Muhammed Ali cry like a little baby.
roll.gif

nadal ... the greatest? LOLOLOL dude will be lucky to last 5 more years as fragile as he is ...

[Lil Wayne]Roger Federer, there's no competitors![/Lil wayne]

Originally Posted by rickybadman

I repeat 3 grand slams on grass.
You're absolutely right... but we shouldn't forget Laver also had a very respectable record on the other surfaces (around half of his 22titles he won in '62 was on clay, and he was also able to find success in the 70's when hard courts and indoor carpet courts were more common). I justdon't think its fair to say that Laver's "greatness", if you will, was inferior because 3 of the slams during his time was on grass.

If you do want to directly compare Fed's slam wins and Laver's slam wins, then we should also mention that grass courts back then were no where nearthe quality of grass courts we see now. The courts were uneven and the quality of grass was poor, which resulted in a lot of bad bounces. I'm notcertain, but I think that was why some tournaments evolved to hardcourts. Then there are the issues of equipment. Tennis rackets have come a LONG way sincethe 60's, when they were made of wood and had a small frame/string bed. String technology has also come a long way over the past 10-20 years...

I guess this brings us back to the discussion of being the greatest of "all time"... with a game like tennis which has such a long history, Idon't think its entirely appropriate to name someone the greatest of all time. The greatest his era, the greatest of his generation... fine. But to say"all-time", IMO is a bit disrespectful to the greats of the past.

wait, why wait till rafa retires?

federer can be GOAT, untill rafa proves that he's done more.

that's like saying ...we can't say MJ is the GOAT, because we have to wait to see what hakeem and karl malone does...

MJ was considered GOAT when he had 3 rings to begin with.

he might lose to rafa b/c roger as of right now isn't at his prime,

but roger's accomplishment alone = goat.

[h1]Pete Sampras calls Roger Federer 'greatest ever'[/h1]
By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Tennis Writer Jun 7, 1:55 pm EDT

PARIS (AP)-Pete Sampras already figured Roger Federer would go down as the greatest tennis player in history.

That Federer tied Sampras' record of 14 Grand Slam titles by winning the French Open on Sunday only reinforced that opinion.

"What he's done over the past five years has never, ever been done-and probably will never, ever happen again," Sampras said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "Regardless if he won there or not, he goes down as the greatest ever. This just confirms it."

Federer added his first French Open championship to five titles at Wimbledon, five at the U.S. Open and three at the Australian Open. He's the sixth man with a career Grand Slam; Sampras won three of the majors but not the French Open.

Sampras was home in Los Angeles on Sunday and watched on TV during part of Federer's 6-1, 7-6 (1), 6-4 victory over Robin Soderling in the final at Roland Garros. Federer lost three previous three French Open finals to Rafael Nadal.

"I'm obviously happy for Roger," Sampras said. "If there's anyone that deserves it, it's Roger. He's come so close."

In what turned out to be Sampras' last match, he beat Andre Agassi in the 2002 U.S. Open final at age 31 in his 52nd career Grand Slam tournament. Federer is 27 and has collected his 14 major championships in 40 Grand Slam tournaments.

"He just is a great, great player that is a credit to the sport and is a positive influence for young kids and just tennis in general," Sampras said. "It looks pretty tough to beat now with 14 majors, and I'm sure he's going to go on and win a lot more."

Federer will get his first chance to break Sampras' mark at Wimbledon, which starts June 22. Sampras isn't sure whether he'll go to the All England Club.

"We'll sort of see what happens," Sampras said.

Agassi completed his career Grand Slam at the French Open in 1999, and he was on hand a decade later to present Federer with the champion's trophy Sunday.

"How do you sort of argue with his numbers? It's pretty incredible," Agassi said. "A lot of people say it's better to be lucky than good. I'd rather be Roger than lucky."

As for the debate about tennis' greatest player, Sampras long has pointed to Rod Laver as his idol.

Laver won a true Grand Slam-all four major titles in one season-in both 1962 and 1969, the last man to do it. Laver finished with 11 Grand Slam titles, although he was barred from competing in those tournaments from the time he turned pro in 1963 to the start of the Open era in 1968.

Sampras' choice at this point is Federer.

"Now that he's won in Paris, I think it just more solidifies his place in history as the greatest player that played the game, in my opinion," Sampras said. "I'm a huge Laver fan, and he had a few years in there where he didn't have an opportunity to win majors. But you can't compare the eras. And in this era, the competition is much more fierce than Rod's."

Nadal is already a better player.

If he keeps playing the way he has, he will surpass 14.

We'll have to wait and see of course.

Nadal.....fragile? Nah, a couple injuries does not mean "fragile." People love to say he's gonna fall apart, wear himself down, etc. because heruns his #@+ off for every point and plays with a lot of intensity. What idiotic reasoning. He's not an NFL running back, he's not beating up his body.If he ever got to the point where injuries were holding him back, I'm sure he would just play less tournaments and focus on the Slams.

Don't repeat what you hear from talking heads on TV and say it like it's the truth. Nadal has a better combination of fitness and athleticism thananyone else I've seen on the Tour. He'll be fine.

Nadal, of course, is not only standing in Federer's way, but now clearly chasing him as well. Federer won his first Grand Slam title at age 21 and, by his23rd birthday, had won two more. Sampras had won four by that age. Nadal is well ahead of that pace, having won his first Grand Slam at the precocious age of18 (6 grandslams at 23)
glasses.gif

So let me now say it unequivocally: Rafael Nadal is certain to break Sampras'/Federer's record for career Grand Slam titles. He will godown as the greatest tennis player in history. You heard it here first.

french22.jpg

197578-federer_cry.jpg

Nadal is not fragile, but he plays very...physical. That style of play wears on your knees/elbows/ankles/shoulders.

Nadal's progression has been flat-out amazing, but he still has a little ways to go to be mentioned with the all-time greats. If he stays healthy, he has alegitimate chance at surpassing everyone. Federer, on the otherhand, is already in that company.

AJIIIpLATINum:
Nadal is the greatest.

Never saw Maradona, Pele, Jordan, Montana, Naimeth, Babe Ruth, Cy Young, Bobby Jones, Tiger Woods, Wayne Gretzky, or Muhammed Ali cry like a little baby.
roll.gif

Are you seriously suggesting that Federer is inferior because he cried?

Seriously?

You are?

roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Nadal's been had knee problems..and he's only 23...not a good sign no matter how you look at it

Let him even be CLOSE to accomplishing what Fed has done, and then you can even start to talk about him in Fed's company

Body of work>>>>>>>>> 1 head to head rivalry

Back
Top Bottom