Roommate Moving Out Mid-Lease: NT Tenant Lawyers check in

Sup, NT. Posted this in TAN, but I'm looking to get a little more insight (hopefully from a qualified source) as to how I should effectively navigate this issue:

Roommate announced to me today that he's moving out in 2-3 weeks to take a job offer in California. We had a brief discussion about what's going to happen after he moves out. Our lease is up at the end of the year, so I planned on living in the apartment by myself for the last 2 months or so, paying the rent in full while I look for a 1 bedroom for myself. Now he's talking about telling our landlord that he's leaving and he's loosely suggesting that he's trying to get part of the security deposit and first month's/last month's from me. He's definitely bugging right now, but I need to articulately tell him why he's not entitled to his deposits. Anyone deal with a similar experience?

Any help is appreciated.

- This should be addressed in the lease already -- usually, it's 1-2 months' notice (he has to pay rent for those months, regardless of whether he lives there or not)
- Dude can hold this L if he's trying to get any $ from you

Landlord will likely laugh in his face. He's not fulfilling his contract so why should he be entitled to the deposit.
I could understand his argument for wanting half of the last month's back, but it would be you paying him bc I'm quite certain the residence won't.

Can you/he sub-let for the remainder of the lease?
By the time we found someone, got it approved by the landlord, then got it approved by board of directors (we live in a co-op development), and filled out the necessary paperwork it would pretty much be too late. I've made it very clear that I have no issues paying the rent in full until our lease ends.

had a buddy in college who just bounced cause he flunked out and left me and another roommate with the rest of the two months. we ended taking his security deposit and took his playstation/video games in exchange :lol:

hes leaving in 2-3 weeks and you have to pick up the rent in full for the last 2-3 months? sounds self explanatory to me he dont deserve the deposit or any money back... hes the one leaving the lease... this is just how i see it

What I don't get is you guys pay the Landlord rent right? as in you both signed a lease. Why the **** is he asking you for anything?
No need to articulate anything to that fool.

So what happened lol
Haven't touched the situation yet. He hasn't brought it up again, and I don't plan on bringing it up until he does. I'm trying to move strategically/allow myself time to cool down so I can approach the situation as rationally as possible. I'm considering giving the landlord a call tomorrow just to give him a head's up about the situation.

This is why I never wanted to deal with roommates. Friends or family. In the end, I'm pretty sure the landlord isn't going to give him squat. He will probably tell you it will be up to your discretion once the lease is up and you get whatever is left of the deposit whether you want to give your roommate any money or not.

damn OP, time to go get the papers, get the papers.

dawg...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom