Rules you'd add/change in sports? vol. thou shalt not fumble

I'd make fumbling the ball out of bounds either a turnover or a penalty of some sort. Turnover may be harsh but I think you should lose a down or 15 yards or something. Incentivize taking care of the ball and penalize fumbling regardless of where the ball happens to end up. 
I'd also change the intentional walk rule in baseball to create some sort of penalty other than a walk. Posniaski wrote on this today and suggested that anytime 4 straight balls are thrown, the at-bat starts over, and if 4 more balls are thrown the batter takes two bases. You can't let pitchers avoid batters, it's bad for the game, and a one-base penalty isn't enough. 

Technicals should be given out for flopping a la soccer when they get carded for diving. 

College football taking back TDs for excessive celebration is too much. These kids are 18-22 (Aside from Brandon Weeden), let them have fun

I'd also change the intentional walk rule in baseball to create some sort of penalty other than a walk. Posniaski wrote on this today and suggested that anytime 4 straight balls are thrown, the at-bat starts over, and if 4 more balls are thrown the batter takes two bases. You can't let pitchers avoid batters, it's bad for the game, and a one-base penalty isn't enough. 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

indifferent.gif

Are your opinions simplistic enough to be captured by an emoticon or do you actually have something to add?

How is an intentional walk avoiding a batter? It's more of a hedge than an avoidance.

Expanded replay in baseball, including out/safe, fair/foul and catch/trap. Almost every call except for ball/strike.

In the same amount of time that a manager will come out and contest a call, you can go to the booth (like the NHL does) and make a call within a minute or two. No challenges, games will be no longer than they currently are.

NBA needs to adopt FIBA rules on basket interference. Once it hits the rim and is still above the cylinder, the ball is fair game.

The NFL needs to redo its entire section on "Defenseless players" and Roughing the Passer penalties are absolutely horrible this year.

Perfect form tackles on the QB being called as roughing
30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif

[h3] [/h3]
[h3]Note on Officiating [/h3]
The Competition Committee emphasizes that whenever a game official is confronted with a potential unnecessary-roughness situation and is in doubt about calling a foul, he should lean toward safety and not hesitate to throw the flag.

eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by HankMoody

How is an intentional walk avoiding a batter? It's more of a hedge than an avoidance.
It can be used as a hedge but it is often used to avoid batters. Did you see Pujols in the WS? They put him on base when it made no sense to from a double play standpoint. They just don't want to face the other team's best hitter. In what other sport can you take the other team's best player out of the picture with such little effort/penalty?

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

indifferent.gif
Are your opinions simplistic enough to be captured by an emoticon or do you actually have something to add?

instead of having the pitcher throw the ball 4 times, just let the batter take the base.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

The NFL needs to redo its entire section on "Defenseless players" and Roughing the Passer penalties are absolutely horrible this year.

Perfect form tackles on the QB being called as roughing
30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Note on Officiating [/h3]
The Competition Committee emphasizes that whenever a game official is confronted with a potential unnecessary-roughness situation and is in doubt about calling a foul, he should lean toward safety and not hesitate to throw the flag.
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif

This. I don't even get mad when these are called anymore though. It's a rule so I just gotta shake my head and deal with it. It's really putting a damper on the excitement that big hits can bring. Total buzzkill for the players and fans.

Leading with the head is a good rule, but like that hit in tonight's game...That is what is supposed to be a fundamental, yet clean and hard hit.

To be honest, all these BS rules they are coming up with in Football, especially College Football.

Too much gray in the "defenseless receiver" or "leading with the helmet" rules, both in college in the pros.  The blatant ones I understand, but some that are being called nowadays,
30t6p3b.gif
.  Let's go back to playing football with no helmets then, it's the only way you are going to eliminate violent collisions.

"Defenseless receivers" my %#+, when you go on the football field and strap your chin strap expect the possibility of getting lit up.

Celebration rules are a joke, both in the NFL and NCAA.

Shady %#+ or incompetent refs should be blasted not protected.

Soccer:

Eliminate offsides. Would make for a free-flowing game with fast breaks, just like in basketball.
Sure a team could park one of their strikers in front of the oppositions goal but then again the other team could do the same.

Everything Fraij and ironman said. Loosen up PI as well, let defense play defense

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I agree with KLJ...........
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Jehul

Soccer:

Eliminate offsides. Would make for a free-flowing game with fast breaks, just like in basketball.
Sure a team could park one of their strikers in front of the oppositions goal but then again the other team could do the same.
Agreed.  I've been saying this for years. 

I think you guys are being too simplistic with this "no offsides in soccer" rule. Offsides allows the defense to push up, which creates offense.

You should be able to challenge penalties...They make such a big difference in games (pass interference, holding calls, intentional grounding). The refs make mistakes, they shouldnt allow one ref's mistake be the outcome of the game
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by BeatJunkie5

You should be able to challenge penalties...They make such a big difference in games (pass interference, holding calls, intentional grounding). The refs make mistakes, they shouldnt allow one ref's mistake be the outcome of the game
30t6p3b.gif
Penalties are judgmental calls. Challenging a judgmental call would in essence be the same thing and that won't really solve anything. PI and Holding are up to the discretion of the official.

Back
Top Bottom