School Me on Car Insurance Vol. Strict Parents

-i'm 18 (with license) father doesnt let me drive alone in his car
-says insurance is way too high for someone my age and if i'm driving his car and crash i'm screwed (there has to be a way around this, i know plentyof people who crashed their parents car)
-wants me to drive (only with him in the car) until i'm 21, he tells me insurance is cheaper if you have been driving for at least 3 years with noaccidents
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

-strict parents FTL

Btw, he has Geico. Basically if i were to buy my own car and get my own insurance, what would be the best and cheapest option for someone my age?

Some pros and cons of Geico, state farm, all state, and etc would be greatly appreciated.

ha your pops is ridiculous, but he isn't that far off, insurance prices drop alot but not really drastically until your 25. But if you got a better car andonly carried liability coverage, which means you're covered if you hit another car, but no coverage on your own car. it wouldnt be astronomical. u can justprice, liability only on say a 2001 corolla on geico.com or any other company and a get a quote in like a min.

btw if you get good grades insurance co. usually give a lil discount.

Just got notice today that State Farm will be dropping me as of 9/30/09.
smh.gif

FML All I can see is be careful out there. I've been in 2 accidents, first wasn't my fault and second I rear ended a woman in a CRV
devil.gif
Plus 2speeding tickets, that I take 100% blame for. Show your dad your responsible. Just be smart when driving.

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

-says insurance is way too high for someone my age and if i'm driving his car and crash i'm screwed (there has to be a way around this, i know plenty of people who crashed their parents car)
-wants me to drive (only with him in the car) until i'm 21, he tells me insurance is cheaper if you have been driving for at least 3 years with no accidents
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

-strict parents FTL

Btw, he has Geico. Basically if i were to buy my own car and get my own insurance, what would be the best and cheapest option for someone my age?

Some pros and cons of Geico, state farm, all state, and etc would be greatly appreciated.
insurance is really expensive for an 18 years old

i looked at my parents insurance, they paid 50 each a month, and they showed me they were paying 250 a month for me alone (i dont even have full coverage)

on top of that, theres gas, the DMV fees, and etc

but if you get insurance in your own name, expect the prices to go WAYYY UP

it also depends on the car you drive, like a sporty car like scion tc will be much more than an accord (which is what i drive)

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

-says insurance is way too high for someone my age and if i'm driving his car and crash i'm screwed (there has to be a way around this, i know plenty of people who crashed their parents car)
-wants me to drive (only with him in the car) until i'm 21, he tells me insurance is cheaper if you have been driving for at least 3 years with no accidents
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

-strict parents FTL

insurance is really expensive for an 18 years old

i looked at my parents insurance, they paid 50 each a month, and they showed me they were paying 250 a month for me alone (i dont even have full coverage)

on top of that, theres gas, the DMV fees, and etc

but if you get insurance in your own name, expect the prices to go WAYYY UP

it also depends on the car you drive, like a sporty car like scion tc will be much more than an accord (which is what i drive)

Originally Posted by czur1127

The hood insurence is ur friend

no better way to put it. find hood insurance agency that be dirt cheap and get on. im 18 and have paid for my car insurance ever since i was 16. started offwith allstate at 190/month for liability, now i pay 97/month for full coverage. had 2 wrecks in the past 2 months might i add. whip is headed to the shop soon.try to avoid those big names cause big names equal big bucks.

Just cop a sloppy Jalopy for now OP and get liability from a small (not hood
laugh.gif
) car insurance agency. They'll give u better rates. Anything in the2000's will require u to get full coverage so keep that in mind

Im also 18 with a BMW M3 and insurance is crazy.
I use to speed and drive recklessly but I stopped.

My parents just took me off their insurance and I have my own now. $195 a month and I have a 98' Mustang GT. It was in the $250 range when I was with them.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

laugh.gif
) car insurance agency. They'll give u better rates. Anything in the 2000's will require u to get full coverage so keep that in mind

wrong! i had a 2002 lincoln ls my momz paid 8 stacks for and when i realized i had to pay for my own insurance that joint had liability. matter fact i had thecar for almost 2 years and i always had liability on it. lol but in my 97 grand marquis i have now is full coverage equipped.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DayDayz e36

OP what is the make and model of your dads car that he wont let you drive alone?
its a infiniti Q45. what are some names of "hood" insurances?

So basically i should get a < 2000 car with full coverage hood insurance?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I drive an 89 E30, and with State Farm and the discounts I have (State Farm safe driving program, grades, and driving school), I'm at about 98 a month,because it dropped a lil when I turned 17.
I don't know about Geico though, and my parents have been with State Farm for almost 20 years, so I'm not sure if that has any effect as well.
I don't have full coverage, but we bought the car $300, so thats the max we could get anyway, so it doesn't make much sense to be paying more.

wow it sounds like you're in the exact same boat as me when i was your age. my dad didn't let me drive by myself at all. i got fed up when i was 20,did some research and found out that through geico i can pay about 800/6 months on liability on my own name and this is in NYC. state farm wanted 1500/6 mo.what geico takes into account is how long you had your license and if you have any records on it. i had mine since 16 (although i didn't drive) and when iwas 20 the prices weren't that high. when i turned 21, it was 5 years of having a clean driver's license so my rate went down to about 700/6 mo. thenmy parents let me be listed under their name so i ended up paying like 400/6 mo or something but i sold my car after that.

basically if you just got your license you're pretty much looking to pay anywhere from like 1-3k for 6 months even just on liability. maybe if you live inthe middle of nowhere it'll be cheaper but in like ny or cali it'll be expensive as hell. if you are in an accident when you were driving andyou're not listed as a driver the insurance just won't pay for the claim and you would have to pay for everything. i know it sucks but just suck it upand wait till you're 21. i don't really regret buying my own car and paying high insurance but i did spend a lot of money just to have my own car wheni was younger. if you have a lot of money saved up then do it but overall i say it's not worth it...all that money you'll be paying to the insuranceyou can save up for a nicer car in the future.

Originally Posted by SwanginOn4z

Originally Posted by czur1127

The hood insurence is ur friend

no better way to put it. find hood insurance agency that be dirt cheap and get on. im 18 and have paid for my car insurance ever since i was 16. started off with allstate at 190/month for liability, now i pay 97/month for full coverage. had 2 wrecks in the past 2 months might i add. whip is headed to the shop soon. try to avoid those big names cause big names equal big bucks.

Where in the H did you find full coverage for that much? I pay 83 for liability/uninsured motorists with Geico.

Originally Posted by SwanginOn4z

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

laugh.gif
) car insurance agency. They'll give u better rates. Anything in the 2000's will require u to get full coverage so keep that in mind

wrong! i had a 2002 lincoln ls my momz paid 8 stacks for and when i realized i had to pay for my own insurance that joint had liability. matter fact i had the car for almost 2 years and i always had liability on it. lol but in my 97 grand marquis i have now is full coverage equipped.
pimp.gif

Well u musta had a good agent cause I got a 2002 Ford Escape and my insurance co told me that we had to get full coverage b/c of the yr.

18!? you'll be paying out the !%# for insurance. atleast 250-300 a month range for full coverage.
im 26 and paying 140 with progressive on an 07 maxima. i do have a couple tickets but they should both drop by next year.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

-strict parents FTL

You're pops has a couple of issues here. I'm an Insurance agent in FL, so laws may differ from state to state, but generally this is how it goes:

-If you're not a driver on your dad's insurance, and you live with him, you CAN NOT drive his car. There is no coverage while you are driving yourdads car if he has not disclosed to the insurance company that he has an 18 year old licensed driver living with him and driving his car; it doesn't matterwhether he is in the car or not. If you live in the household and have a driver's license, you HAVE to be listed on the policy, or be excluded as adriver. Remember, this only applies if you live with him.

-Insurance is cheaper if you've been driving for 3 years with no accidents, but only if you had insurance for those 3 years. Rates arealways higher for people who have no prior insurance record, regardless of their age. Some companies won't even write your policy if you've had noprior coverage. Think about it, why would a company write insurance for someone who has been driving for three years with no insurance? So if they do writeit, they will charge you a higher premium because they have no idea what kind of risk you are, because you have no insurance record.

-If you buy your own car, and your own insurance, the car has to be in your name only. Your dad can't have any ownership of the vehicle,otherwise he has to insure it (if your dad cosigns, and the car is jointly titled to you and your dad, when YOU get in an accident, YOUR DAD will be liable andcan be sued as part owner of the car, so if the car isn't on his insurance policy, he will have no coverage). If you do get your own car, and your owninsurance while you still live with your parents, your parents will have no coverage from their policy if they drive your car, and your policy will not coveryou if you drive their car. Basically, the insurance company wants all people living in the same household to be on the same insurance policy (to make sureall vehicles have the same coverage). The exception would be a room mate that is not family, and owns their own car and insurance that has nothing to do withyou, and you will never drive their car anyway.

So, in a nutshell, you're dad is pretty much wrong on every count, except for telling you its expensive to insure an 18 year old. But what he's doingdoesn't help anything in the long run, and is actually creating a bigger risk for himself if you do get in an accident while driving his car. So heeither needs to add you as a driver onto his insurance, or NOT let you drive at all.

Back
Top Bottom