**Seattle Mariners 2024 Season Thread ** | 20-18 | v. A's & Royals |

Was at the ballpark all weekend. Honestly glad NY and Boston both won so today didn’t sting as much. Seager… god that was tough. Hard to read that Heyman tweet also. Jerry dosent seem like that kind of person but business is business I guess 😕.

With Julio who I think is going to be the best of the “core” and some good looking arms coming with Kirby and Hancock it’s going to be a fun ride. Go Ms!

Good on ya, bro...I gather it might not be as glorified as you want it, but seems like a sweet, if not interesting, gig.

After working 100 hour weeks for the last 6 years it’s nice to have my own fund lol

Just trying to be more present in all honesty - lived in 6 places around the world over that time, can’t believe my partner is still with me. Excited to get to know Seattle better.

Sets up for a very interesting offseason after the players basically dunked on him after the deadline deals.
Yep going to be very interesting to see who is brought in because everyone is definitely expecting them to spend some cash now. They just extended Jerry I think too… yeah gonna be fun lol.

Yep going to be very interesting to see who is brought in because everyone is definitely expecting them to spend some cash now. They just extended Jerry I think too… yeah gonna be fun lol.

Hot market - no state income tax, a lot of money, is there a better place to be during the summer??

I think with GM’s, having a tight relationship isn’t necessary to do the job well, but having structured communication is important and being transparent goes a long way, players talk around the league. With how much Seager means to that clubhouse, JP cried today in that interview, why not bring him back for one more year? Not like he was unproductive.

Interesting to see how Seattle spends.

Absolutely not necessary to have a tight relationship - but not talking to your clubhouse leader for 4 seasons as an Exec is embarrassing.

It’s like if the VP of your division didn’t speak to you if you work in corporate world.

Absolutely not necessary to have a tight relationship - but not talking to your clubhouse leader for 4 seasons as an Exec is embarrassing.

It’s like if the VP of your division didn’t speak to you if you work in corporate world.

Yeah I agree. I'm not a huge Brian Cashman fan at all, but I always hear how players respected him because he was straight up about what he was going to do. No contact/accessibility is terrible, otherwise Jerry has been great with transactions. Been fun rooting for y'all from afar though, wanted to leave you guys with this piece from The Athletic, in case you haven't had the chance to read it yet:

‘Baseball is back in Seattle’: Mariners fall in Game 162, but have a bright future

Fans hold Believe signs as Seattle Mariners' Cal Raleigh bats against the Los Angeles Angels during the second inning of a baseball game, Sunday, Oct. 3, 2021, in Seattle. Raleigh grounded out on the play. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

By Corey Brock Oct 3, 2021

Elimination finally wrapped its arms around the Mariners in Game 162 on Sunday afternoon — although that in itself was a considerable accomplishment, even if it didn’t feel that way in the moment.

It wasn’t one calamitous moment Sunday that conspired to end the Mariners’ season just shy of reaching the postseason for the first time in two decades. It was more like 1,000 paper cuts inflicted by the Angels.

In the end, though, it all probably hurt just the same.

The Angels came out swinging on Sunday, sinking the Mariners’ postseason hopes by scoring early and often in a 7-3 decision before a sold-out crowd of 44,229 at T-Mobile Park, the third sell-out in as many days.

The Mariners, who won 90 games for the first time since 2003, were left on the outside looking in on baseball’s postseason party, as they dropped two of three games to the Angels (77-85). The sting will likely persist for some time.

But the overall sentiment Sunday, long after the ballpark had cleared and the players had retreated to the clubhouse one final time, was that the Mariners took a momentous step forward in 2021, exceeding expectations and laying the groundwork for what should be a critical offseason.

“Wow, what a season for the Mariners and our group really taking a step forward organizationally,” Seattle manager Scott Servais said. “Our future is very, very bright here. I say all that and you’re still disappointed today to get that close and not cross the finish line and break through to the playoffs.”

The Mariners entered the day tied with the Blue Jays and one game back of the Yankees and Red Sox for the two American League wild-card spots. They had faced a long list of potential tiebreaker scenarios that could have seen them get into the postseason. As it turned out, the Yankees and Red Sox both won, eliminating Seattle prior to the end of Sunday’s game.

Chaos Ball, as it turns out, wasn’t so chaotic after all.

The Angels jumped on Mariners starting pitcher Tyler Anderson for two runs in the first and chased the left-hander by scoring two more runs in the second. It was a sour start to an important game, and certainly unexpected after the way Anderson had pitched since being obtained from the Pirates at the trade deadline.

“The ball didn’t have a lot of zip on it,” Servais said. “But they hit him, too.”

Even after Anderson was gone, the Mariners couldn’t stop the bleeding. The Angels added two more runs in the fourth inning and another run in the fifth and manager Joe Maddon used seven pitchers to cover the rest of the way, which helped prevent the Mariners from finding a way to get what would have been their 45th comeback victory of the season.

“We just weren’t able to get the big hit today,” Servais said. “You need few breaks when you’re down in a game like that, you need a few things to go your way. It just wasn’t meant to be.”

Down 2-0 before they even had a chance to bat, rookie Jarred Kelenic and leadoff hitter J.P. Crawford had RBI singles in the second inning to make it 4-2 and then Crawford knocked in another run in the sixth, but Seattle was shut out the rest of the way.

There was an interesting development in the ninth inning, though.

When it became apparent the Mariners were eliminated, Servais called for a timeout when his team was on defense to take out veteran third baseman Kyle Seager, who is in the final year of his contract. Seager, who had already been serenaded by fans earlier in the inning, stopped and hugged teammates near the mound before leaving to a standing ovation.

Seager, the longest-tenured Mariner who made his debut in 2011, had a curtain call and had trouble holding back the tears at times, so much so that he gave up on trying to stop them from flowing.

“I was pretty much a mess,” Seager said.

This was a way for the Mariners to honor Seager, who eventually will go into the team’s Hall of Fame. He’s in the top five in several offensive categories and if this is indeed his final season in Seattle — the team does hold a $20 million option for 2022 they are expected to pass on — he’ll finish fourth in club history with 1,480 games — trailing only Ken Griffey Jr., Ichiro and Edgar Martinez.

“What Kyle for me has brought is consistency and the ability to write his name in the lineup every day,” Servais said. “I think a lot of our players learn that from him. Players seeing that, and the value of that … if you want to put up numbers in this game, you’ve got to play and you’ve got to play every day. And it is hard to do that.”

At the end of the season, the Mariners were playing as well as anyone in baseball. That’s not just anecdotal, either. They went 31-17 down the stretch, winning 12 of their final 15 games to ensure that Game 162 actually meant something.

“The run we’ve been on the last three weeks was amazing,” Kelenic said.

And while this loss and the missed opportunity to break into the postseason will hurt, Servais and the Mariners feel they are making inroads to becoming what they want to become — a perennial contender. This season saw the growth of several young players like Kelenic, pitcher Logan Gilbert and the continued rise of Crawford and Ty France.

Ninety wins in the third year of the rebuild has left the Mariners wanting more.

“I bet a lot of people, coming into this season, said we had no chance in hell of winning 90 games,” Servais said. “It’s been quite a ride. It was a fantastic season. The last three or four weeks, when everyone counted us out, we kept winning ballgames. We found different ways to do it.”

When it was over Sunday, the players lingered on the field, throwing T-shirts and other items to fans who stuck around. It almost felt like the players didn’t know what to do with themselves, and couldn’t bring themselves to head back to the clubhouse one last time. Because doing so would have meant goodbye.

“I know it’s going to sting for a while, this loss, not getting to the postseason this year,” Kelenic said. “But I know it’s not going to be something I ever forget. I hope those fans that came out, I hope they never forget, either. That vibe on the field and in that clubhouse is indescribable.”

The Mariners have considerable work to do to augment their roster if they are to get over that postseason hump. They need offense, among other things. But there’s a strong core already here and a wave of young talent that’s not far off, that could make these Mariners not only interesting but potentially dangerous.

And, based on the crowds this weekend at T-Mobile Park, there’s obvious support from the community. Fans in the Pacific Northwest want a winner — they want a consistent winner. The four banners that hang in the right-field rafters at the ballpark haven’t had new company since 2001.

Maybe this season was that first step toward building something special?

“Getting 40,000 people in T-Mobile Park and feeling the energy that they brought was tremendous, not only for our team and the organization but for the community,” Servais said. “Baseball is back in Seattle.”

Cheers to Seager and I wish him well wherever he ends up next season. End of an era but from a business decision I can see why they are moving on. Did have a career high in HR's this year but .212 avg and obp of 285 just isn't going to cut it for the salary he would be getting next season. Watch him do like Beltre and light it up somewhere else next season...

Still ridiculous him and Jerry never had a sit down or even a call to discuss this.

I'm looking forward to the future of the squad though and can only hope the young core continues to make more progress next season. This definitely has a better feel than that 18' team we knew was likely to get blown up (which they did).

Terrible, that type of management drove me from my last gig. People first man, id think the whole not speaking in the hallway thing was lame even if it was the 4th catcher fresh up from AAA.

Terrible, that type of management drove me from my last gig. People first man, id think the whole not speaking in the hallway thing was lame even if it was the 4th catcher fresh up from AAA.

Just told my homie....management sucks....

These kind of teams have short shelf lives...can field s competitibe team, sure, but they'll crumble quick with a few bad streaks if they don't buy in to the overall philosophy.

EYE thought we squashed it!? We all M’s/Twins fans man!! 😂😂😂

You're so annoying. :lol:

You're a Yankees fan faking as a Twins fan (basis debatable), infiltrating the Mariners per adoption as a transplant.

Those are the facts presented to me on this forum, but don't really matter. I only lay them out during this charade.

I recognize real life is a different experience, mostly, and I look forward to it.

cake-eater-ducks.gif

Back
Top Bottom