Should African Americans start their own "4th of July" ?

Screenshot_20190704-123431_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20190704-123431_Facebook.jpg

Should we stop messing with the 4th and start our own Juneteenth traditions?

Discuss

I think so

**** Black folks BEEN on Junteenth. Missouri City, Texas has a Juneteenth Parade. I was told it’s really a Texas thing tho. June 19th is when the US government had to come free the slaves from Texas because Texas just ignored The Emancipation.

Last edited:
My stance is, don't expect me to be rocking red white and blue, but best believe I am going to sit back, relax, drink some beer and have some good food.
This is where I've been with it the last 10 years or so. I'm not bout to complain out having the day off or nothing but I really think Juneteenth needs it's own traditions. Maybe it does and I'm jus out the loop here up North

We should start our own EVERYTHING and stop looking for validation from white people.

Begging to be part of their academy awards

Begging to be a part of their bull**** system

Begging to be treated fairly

We were forced to come here and build this country

**** this country
this.

i'm not celebrating when we shouldn't have had a need to have a "Juneteenth" in the first place.
so we celebrate the day that we were allowed to have so called freedom? we're celebrating being handed something that shouldn't have been taken from us in the first place? and we didn't go out and take it we were "given" it?

na.

IMO we should stack bread so we have options. America isn't the end all be all. its what i'm doing.

We should start our own EVERYTHING and stop looking for validation from white people.

Begging to be part of their academy awards

Begging to be a part of their bull**** system

Begging to be treated fairly

We were forced to come here and build this country

**** this country
I cringed when spike lee was acting a fool after winning the Oscar :smh:

ive always thought that abraham lincoln didnt free the slaves, they freed themselves

the slaves were revolting

they couldnt stop the underground railroad

it was only a matter of time

**** Black folks BEEN on Junteenth. Missouri City, Texas has a Juneteenth Parade. I was told it’s really a Texas thing tho. June 19th is when the US government had to come free the skates from Texas because Texas just ignored The Emancipation.

If I remember correctly the law went into affect nation wide on January 1st, but obviously many states, notably Texas, didn’t respect it.

Can't speak for ya'll, but most black ppl I know my age ain't "celebrating" the 4th. It's just a day (or two) off in the summer to catch up with friends, eat a ton of food, and kickback with some drinks. Folk ain't running around with american flags shorts and ****, at least not my social circle.

Unfortunately, unless Juneteenth becomes a federal holiday, it's hard for us to acknowledge it on the same scale because, frankly, mfs gotta work.

been pushing for an " I Have a Dream Day" on August 28th. Would be dope to have nation wide cookouts right before the school year honoring MLK and all the people that worked to put us where we are.

*** backwards to not celebrate our country.

This is just as much my country as it is these white folk.

Why would you want to give them that?

You do understand this day is about a celebration of freedom right... freedoms we hadn't even begun to enjoy in the SLIGHTEST for another 100 yrs

Back
Top Bottom