Sicario (2015): Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin, Benicio del Toro

Yup dope film. The scene where they go to Mexico and out was intense as hell. And del toro at the end was awesome.

Them cholos in those cars coming back from Mexico were stupid asf. Why even show that you got a rifle until its time to light up. Also, why invite Carlos with all the face tats. Easy target.

Del Toro was a beast though. When he walked up with El Jefe's dinner table.

Scumbag Shane doing what he does best.

Last edited:

Solid film other than Emily blunts character who was terrible (her acting was great though)
How so? I saw this complaint on Reddit from some posters. She was the lamb in a world of wolves who still had morals and a sense of doing things the right way.
well first off, she didnt do anything. replace her character with any average joe and the plot points pretty much stay the same. other than be forced to sign a document at the end she had no effect on any of the outcomes of any of the missions. 

her character is dull, 

she was a lamb in the world of wolves,           nothing to show that she was good at her job.

she starts the movie uneasy about the situation, gets recruited to the team while being uneasy about the situation. she never fully gets on board with what the team is doing, she's always the third wheel. there is nothing that changes at the end, just like in the beginning when they pressure her into taking the job, they pressure her into signing the document. only difference throughout the movie is that she is broken.
I think you guys need to realize the whole point of the film was to connect the audience to the character that is powerless

Most were expecting an action hero movie.... instead of what it is....

benicio del toro is the action hero... and he's the bad guy too

emily blunt is the boring chick who wants to do right but is powerless, boring, and unaware of what is actually going on

emily blunt = the american public = the audience..

Last edited:
just caught this last night. the border scene had me real tight. suspenseful as hell.

story was pretty good up until the second half of the movie, which basically became metal gear

Movie is :pimp:

I saw it last night too.

Puerto Rican Brad Pitt (Del Toro) was :x :nthat: throughout the film

Them cholos in those cars coming back from Mexico were stupid asf. Why even show that you got a rifle until its time to light up. Also, why invite Carlos with all the face tats. Easy target.

Del Toro was a beast though. When he walked up with El Jefe's dinner table.

Scumbag Shane doing what he does best.

he achieved all time savagery when he put the kids to sleep too. But when your daughter is dissolved in acid, you basically have no fks to give.

Lol Shane was essentially himself in twd. Str8 up scum. I'll look for redemption as the punisher in DD season 2 Netflix.

[\Spoiler]

he achieved all time savagery when he put the kids to sleep too. But when your daughter is dissolved in acid, you basically have no fks to give.

Lol Shane was essentially himself in twd. Str8 up scum. I'll look for redemption as the punisher in DD season 2 Netflix.

[\Spoiler]
He was the same scumbag dude in Fury. This guy cornered the market for scumbaggery in Hollywood.

i loved this movie, but i didn't understand the Medellin connection ... 

wouldnt the two cartels be working together if drugs were coming up from the Colombian and getting into the US from the distribution points ran by the Mexicans ?

The night vision scenes were well done.
felt like you were there in the darkness with them

wouldnt the two cartels be working together if drugs were coming up from the Colombian and getting into the US from the distribution points ran by the Mexicans ?
There are more than one cartels man.

Emily Blunt's character was very underwhelming. She is supposed to be a strong female lead and honestly I didn't get a sense of that.

Benicia pretty much carried the movie himself. Decent movie though, the story had inconsistencies but the basic plot was easy to follow, I liked the shoot out scene and how they showed the grizzly brutalities of the cartels.
I just didnt appreciate how the movie portrayed Benicio as a wronged, stop at nothingk, totally validated anti-hero with the backing of the US gov't..out to balance the ills of that illicit world.. when he was doing the same sheist, cutthroat sh*t as a member of the medellin cartel.. his daughter got offed because thats the risks and common result of that life.. and he knew that.. but he somehow was the exception because his kid got murked which is absolutely part n parcel to that lfiestyle.  I just didnt dig all that.  Brolin was a draw as usual. excellent performance.

Movie was damn good.

A bit over the top with Alejandro's (Benicio Del Toro) personal agenda.

But it sheds light on how shiesty and corrupt the C.I.A. is.

Some wars are not meant to be won.

Last edited:
Emily Blunt's character was very underwhelming. She is supposed to be a strong female lead and honestly I didn't get a sense of that.

Benicia pretty much carried the movie himself. Decent movie though, the story had inconsistencies but the basic plot was easy to follow, I liked the shoot out scene and how they showed the grizzly brutalities of the cartels.

Bait and switch...

Sheridan hit us with the okie doke...

Had us thinking Blunt was the lead in the film, nope. It was Benicio's film the whole time.

Afterall, the film is called Sicario for a reason...

On a side note, those photos Kate (Emily Blunt) was going through on her laptop of people being hung from bridges? Those? Those are real.

They used actual images of hangings in Mexico.

Last edited:
Yeah this movies cinematography was amazing. The scenes where there was no dialog and just pulsating music in the back was intense. You didnt know what was about to go down.

Movie was authentic as hell

For colleagues that raved about Emily Blunt's performance, I just don't see it. I fully understand she played a sheep in the lion's den, and even a pawn, but nothing about her performance wowed me. Yeah, she was innocent and wanted to follow the rules in her profession. Yeah, she was used and manipulated. Nothing about the Kate character got me hyped or impressed.

The rawness of this film is greatly appreciated. The bodies lining the wall in the opening scene followed by bomb detonation, bodies hanging from the bridge upside down, Kate googling pics. Just realness. Dinner table scene: "Time to meet God." End scene: Gunshots during the kids' soccer match, play on.

Biggest Oscar snub is by far del Toro for Best Supporting Actor. Far more deserving than the sentimental Stallone. del Toro's Alejandro would be right up there with Hardy's Fitzgerald and Rylance's Abel.

Best Cinematography will be the toughest to differentiate IMO. 'Sicario,' 'Mad Max,' and 'The Revenant' are all extremely deserving. I don't think 'Carol' has a chance in this category.

My understanding is Brolin's character was helping del Toro avenge his family but also eradicate Alarcon/Diaz's cartel, thus allowing the Colombians to gain more power and fill the drug profit vacuum vacated by the Mexicans. I recall Brolin mentioning "restoration of order," politically or otherwise.

would love to see a movie focusing on del toro's character. he had like 1/3rd the screentime of blunt but we got so much more backstory, and because of this I cared about his character more 
I feel this would be a mistake. Sheridan created Alejandro to be a shadow looming in the darkness. From the beginning, the viewers and Emily Blunt are doing their best to assess his role and affiliation with American agencies. del Toro appears with swift action when it mattered in the film. His character was present in decisive, monumental moments. Sometimes less is more, I think more screen time would take away from Alejandro's darkness, element of surprise or mischief.

Back
Top Bottom