Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

The Twolves jerseys look terrible and the Magic jerseys look like they will be trash too
smh.gif

Originally Posted by nyk buc

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

Originally Posted by igotthatjuice

this guy chris broussard just said bynum, pau and kobe is a better three than Tmac yao and artest ... i have officially heard it all from the guys espn pays to talk about sports
I'm sorry but if andrew comes back strong this is true lakers 3 > rockets 3
yao >>> bynum.
artest > pau for the simple fact he's tougher
kobe > tmac

and let's not forget also battier there to contain kobe.
no KOBE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TmacYAO>>ANDREW PAU=RON

this guy chris broussard just said bynum, pau and kobe is a better three than Tmac yao and artest ... i have officially heard it all from the guys espn pays to talk about sports
yao >>> bynum.
kobe > tmac

no KOBE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tmac YAO>>ANDREW PAU=RON
Odom doesnt count?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

yao >>> bynum.
kobe > tmac

no KOBE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tmac YAO>>ANDREW PAU=RON
Odom doesnt count?
laugh.gif

lol okay then...

Kobe >>>>> Tback
Yao >>Bynum
Odom > Shane
Pau = Ron
grin.gif

Phil Jackson >>>>>>>>>>> Adolf Adelman

Originally Posted by dyyhard

large_080731-neitzel-sign.jpg
AP PhotoFormer Michigan State guard Drew Neitzel signed his first professional contract with the Artland Dragons in Germany.

Drew Neitzel probably would have received an invitation to a NBA camp in October.

The former Michigan State guard probably could have played a few minutes, too.

Still, Steve Grinczel thinks Neitzel probably made the right decision to sign his first professional contract with the Artland Dragons in Germany.
http://
Grinczel told WGHN's Ryan Terpstra that the former Spartans star likely has a better opportunity to showcase his talent overseas and follow in the footsteps of former Michigan State star Charlie Bell.

"Even if (Neitzel) got into a NBA camp and even if he made the team, chances of him playing probably aren't that great," Grinczel said. "This might give him a chance to establish himself a little bit more and get into a program where he can demonstrate what he can do."

Grinczel said Neitzel might have received an invitation to NBA camps, but if the former Second-Team All-American was cut, he likely would have been overlooked as a free agent.

"He probably would get into an NBA camp in October, but then he would face the probability of being cut or sent to the (NBA Development League)," Grinczel said.

Listen to Grinczel's entire interview on WGHN to hear if he thinks Neitzel will ever return from overseas to play in the NBA.
drew neitzel was nice at msu but he isnt going to make any nba squads.

6'2 non athletic sg's arent exactly a hot commodity in the nba.

man the laker fans are so defensive. you guys were making the same comparisons in the finals and basically saying the celtics had no chance and look whathappened. im not trying to say the rockets are going to win it all but look what they did without ron and yao all those games. if you are a team in the westyou can sit there and say the rockets dont scare you at all. if everyone is healthy there is no way they get bounced in the first round.

Originally Posted by outkast9984

man the laker fans are so defensive. you guys were making the same comparisons in the finals and basically saying the celtics had no chance and look what happened. im not trying to say the rockets are going to win it all but look what they did without ron and yao all those games. if you are a team in the west you can sit there and say the rockets dont scare you at all. if everyone is healthy there is no way they get bounced in the first round.

roll.gif
And you wonder why we get defensive. I know the threads are still upso please show me one REAL laker fan that said the celtics had no chance. Please. I will give you 5 bucks if you can find that.

The rockets always have been a good team, they just could never make it out of the first round. The ONLY way that this happens again is if yao or t-mac go downor ray goes crazy again. This rockets team COULD be really good. WCF? Maybe but you still have to worry about the spurs, hornets, jazz and lakers.

Originally Posted by knightngale

laugh.gif
@ rocket fans getting an attitude all of a sudden

the gap b/t yao to bynum is bigger than the gap b/t kobe and tracy. on any given night, tracy can give you 40 pts so he can be explosive.

the difference is artest is so physically intimidating while gasol is as soft as tissue. talent-wise, both may be on the same level, but let's be real,in a tough playoff game, gasol is SOFT and laker fans all say this last yr during the playoffs.

odom as a 4th option is better than anyone the lakers got. but at the end of the day, rockets' D is just way better than the lakers' D.

laugh.gif

the gap b/t yao to bynum is bigger than the gap b/t kobe and tracy. on any given night, tracy can give you 40 pts so he can be explosive.

the difference is artest is so physically intimidating while gasol is as soft as tissue. talent-wise, both may be on the same level, but let's be real, in a tough playoff game, gasol is SOFT and laker fans all say this last yr during the playoffs.

odom as a 4th option is better than anyone the lakers got. but at the end of the day, rockets' D is just way better than the lakers' D.

Seriously. Yao's the best center in the League right now, and when healthy, it's by a large margin. Tracy, when he's on can be just as good asKobe, he's not always on that level, but there isn't as big of a cushion between Kobe and Tracy that a lot of you guys are saying. Kobe is obviously agreat player, better than Tracy, but Tracy is a bit more more versatile than Kobe, he's taller, longer, and can handle the ball much better than The Kobecan. Kobe is an obviously better scorer, but Tracy can put up #'s too on some nights.

Originally Posted by 2014NBAballin

I Don't Know If It's Been Posted.. (sorry if it has) but saw this on another forum..

They're alright pin-stripes looks weird though.

laugh.gif

the difference is artest is so physically intimidating while gasol is as soft as tissue. talent-wise, both may be on the same level, but let's be real, in a tough playoff game, gasol is SOFT and laker fans all say this last yr during the playoffs.

I dont think yao and bynum have really had a head to head match up yet... yao has trouble against tall brothas... they intimidate him...

Originally Posted by 2014NBAballin

ngshs1.gif

I Don't Know If It's Been Posted.. (sorry if it has) but saw this on another forum..

thats a render someone made that they think its going to look like after he seen the placing of the pinstripe on the picture we all saw.

Yao had generally praised Artest and the trade, but had said he was concerned about "chemistry" and made a joking reference to the incident when Artest went into the stands after a fan, inspiring Artest to say he would be happy to come to Houston only if Yao and the Rockets demonstrated their commitment to the move. Houston Chronicle

That all changed Thursday. "Yao reached out," Artest said. "He said some real nice things. I really appreciate it. It was nice of him." With that, Artest's mood had returned to the excitement his representative, Mark Stevens, had described in the hours after the deal. "He's outrageous," Stevens said. "He's happy, he's jumping, he's fantastic right now. Houston Chronicle

By Thursday, Artest was happy to talk about basketball and joining Tracy McGrady, Rafer Alston and Shane Battier with the Rockets. "Definitely playing with Tracy, I've got a guy that can take over a game," Artest said. "I got my thing take over a game defensively." Houston Chronicle

Artest: "I am happy. I'm always happy. I have family, a beautiful wife, four kids. I'm always in good spirits, always happy. I'm blessed. I guess over time you get to know people. The first day is the interesting day. The next days always get better. I don't want to write a book in newspaper today. We will over time." Houston Chronicle

The Mavericks had no chance of getting into the Artest sweepstakes because, among other things, they lack a No. 1 pick in the 2009 draft which the Rockets were willing to trade to Sacramento. But Artest's toughness, when it doesn't go over the edge, seems on paper to be exactly what the Rockets need to get over that hump of never having won a first-round series with McGrady and Yao. Houston's capable of advancing now. Are the Mavericks even capable of reaching the first round? Dallas Morning News

Paul Pierce: The Boston Celtics small forward/guard recently was asked by a Spanish publication whether he thought Kobe Bryant was the best player in the world. Pierce said no. The NBA Finals MVP called himself the "best player." He added, "There's a line that separates having confidence and being conceited. I don't cross that line, but I have a lot of confidence in myself." Orange County Register

Pierce on Thursday: "That's what I said. I am a confident player and a lot of people might look at it like 'Oh, another cocky attitude,' but I don't look at it that way," said Pierce, who is in town for his annual youth basketball camp at Hangar Athletic Xchange. "I have an opinion, I have a right to have one and that's the way I feel. I felt I've played against the best over the years and felt right now that I'm the best player in the world." Orange County Register

The Sixers have made a flurry of moves - three free-agent signings in three weeks - but yesterday they finally pulled the trigger on one of their own, agreeing with restricted free-agent guard Lou Williams on a five-year deal worth $25 million, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. Ed Stefanski, 76ers general manager, had no comment, and Williams' agent, Merle Scott, did not return calls. Philadelphia Inquirer

Throughout the summer the 76ers have said Williams and Iguodala were top priorities. The Sixers signed guards Royal Ivey and Kareem Rush and forward Elton Brand before agreeing to terms with Williams. Now attention turns to Iguodala, the 76ers' leading scorer last season. Philadelphia Inquirer

A source close to the negotiations has said the 76ers and Iguodala's agent are in a constant dialogue. If Iguodala plays this season for the qualifying offer, next summer's market could be even tougher. Teams might tighten their belts - thus protecting cap space - to have money for the free-agent class of 2010, which may include LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, Amare Stoudemire, Dirk Nowitzki and Manu Ginobili. Philadelphia Inquirer

While additional terms of the deal were not immediately known, it is reasonable to assume the package for the fourth-year combo guard is worth somewhere between $25 million and $27 million. Sixers president/general manager Ed Stefanski declined comment yesterday, but had said repeatedly that it was his intention to re-sign both Williams and restricted free-agent guard/forward Andre Iguodala. Philadelphia Daily News

When Stefanski added free- agent guard Royal Ivey to the roster last week, he said he viewed Ivey as an excellent complement to Williams in a backup backcourt. Yesterday, Merle Scott, Williams' agent, told the Daily News, "It's a good deal for Louis. It gives him a chance to grow with a team that's building and allows him to stay with the team he came into the [NBA] with.'' Philadelphia Daily News

The Hawks don't appear any closer to a resolution on Josh Smith's future than they were a month ago. His status with the team has been unresolved since the NBA's free agency period began July 1. But that doesn't mean Smith isn't on the mind of at least one of his potential teammates. Atlanta Journal-Constitution

"One of the things that I think is important in the process is to have the integrity and professionalism to not negotiate in the newspapers," Hawks general manager Rick Sund said. "I said that in the beginning to Josh Smith's [representatives] and they haven't said a whole lot. They've done an excellent job representing their client. The bottom line is we've had a lot of dialogue, but it's not done yet." Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Josh Smith's agents don't view the process the same way Sund does. "We don't feel like there has been much difference in our conversations from July 1 until now," Wallace Prather said Thursday. "But I'm optimistic that in the end what is best for Josh is what will happen." A team with Smith, Childress and Evans in the same rotation was the original blueprint, Sund said. But an unpredictable free-agent summer has wreaked havoc on the scripted plans. Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Contract negotiations with Dikembe Mutombo likely will be on hold until Mutombo and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey return from the Olympics, but Mutombo's agent, David Falk, said Thursday that he doubted Mutombo, 7-2, would play another season if the Rockets offer only the veteran's minimum. "It would surprise me if they thought he would come back for the veteran's minimum," Falk said. "I've known (Rockets owner) Leslie Alexander for a long time. Dikembe has a very good relationship with Les. We'll get together when we get back and see if there can be a situation for Dikembe to consider playing another season." Houston Chronicle

But if Mutombo, 42, was paid the minimum, the Rockets would pay only $797,581 of that amount (with the NBA subsidizing the difference) and only the amount the Rockets pay would count when calculating whether their payroll exceeds the luxury tax threshold. Houston Chronicle

The Bulls officially announced the re-signing of restricted free agent Luol Deng on Thursday, but that was hardly news. Word of the six-year, $71 million contract (plus $9 million in incentives) became public Tuesday night, and the deal has been a hot topic since. The bigger issue is how Deng's contract affects the future of guard Ben Gordon, another restricted free agent. Chicago Sun-Times

The Bulls and Gordon's camp remain far apart. According to sources, the Bulls are offering an average salary in the $8 million to $9 million range, while Gordon is looking for something in the $12 million range.(What a fool) Deng's deal averages $11.8 million. Because Gordon has led the team in scoring the last three years, his representatives believe he should be the highest-paid player. The Bulls can't do that without exceeding the luxury-tax threshold. Chicago Sun-Times

If Gordon, 25, isn't able to reach a long-term deal with the Bulls, he could look to leave via a sign-and-trade deal or even sign with a European team. He also could sign the one-year qualifying offer for $6.4 million and become an unrestricted free agent next summer. Chicago Sun-Times

Although Deng wound up getting more money, Gordon's future with the team looks murkier than ever. If they can't work out an extension, Gordon could sign a one-year tender offer and become an unrestricted free agent after next season. Or the Bulls could ship him out in a sign-and-trade deal. Deng had said he wanted a deal before he went to England in August to help the national team qualify for next year's European basketball championships. AP/Azcentral

Scott Skiles was fired on Christmas Eve and his replacement, assistant Jim Boylan, never gained a foothold with a seemingly distracted squad. "Last year was tough," Deng said. "I'm excited for the season and I know all my teammates are too. What happened last season was something we don't want to go through again. "There are guys already in here working hard and trying to turn it around." AP/Azcentral

Free-agent forward Brian Skinner, a first-round pick of the Clippers 10 years ago, signed with the team Thursday. The Clippers reached a deal with the 6-foot-9, 255-pounder, who averaged 3.3 points and 3.6 rebounds in 66 games for the Phoenix Suns last season. Terms were not announced. LA Daily News

The Heat had at least modest interest in Skinner at one point to plug into a frontcourt that lacks both length and defensive prowess beyond undersized power forward Udonis Haslem (I'm not counting Zo here because there's still no telling when he might return from knee rehab). Miami Herald

The Heat also expressed at least some interest in Francisco Elson, a 7-footer who played in Seattle last season but did his best work with the Spurs during their 2006-07 title run. But Elson's camp said it would take more than the $900,000 Miami has left of the mid-level and probably even more than the mostly-league-funded veteran's minimum of $1.3 the Heat also would have at its disposal. Miami Herald

Amid an ESPN report that J-Will is in serious discussions with Israeli-league team Tel Aviv, just received confirmation that there is indeed interest, but that a deal is not imminent. In fact, we've been told by two sources that J-Will essentially remains in a holding pattern with a couple of potential suitors. A few days ago, we were told not to completely rule out a possible return to the Heat at a deeply, deeply, deeply discounted rate from the $8.9 million he earned last season. Miami Herald

But word out of Israel from at least one source familiar with Tel Aviv's negotiations is that Williams is seeking a deal with an annual salary of at least $3 million. The Israeli teams is thinking closer to $1.5, which is similar to any deal any NBA suitor might extend, including the Heat. Miami Herald

Warriors coach Don Nelson won an emphatic legal victory Thursday, when an arbitrator ruled that the Dallas Mavericks must pay Nelson nearly $6.3 million stemming from his tenure as their coach and general manager. Retired judge Glen M. Ashworth issued his ruling in the wake of an arbitration hearing in June. Ashworth granted Nelson's breach-of-contract claim against Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and denied Cuban's counter-claims that Nelson breached the agreement by accepting the Warriors' job and used proprietary information in guiding Golden State to its landmark playoff upset of the Mavs in 2007. San Francisco Chronicle

"This was not so much a legal defeat for Cuban as it was an old-fashioned %%%-whupping," said John O'Connor, Nelson's lawyer. "We couldn't have done any better. This is a home run." San Francisco Chronicle

The ruling awarded Nelson more than $1.95 million in past due deferred compensation, more than $146,000 in interest on past due payments and more than $4.17 million in present-day value of future deferred compensation payments. The grand total: $6,276,638.46. Nelson's contract with Dallas dated to when Ross Perot Jr. owned the team. San Francisco Chronicle

Nelson claimed he was due $6.5 million in deferred payments dating to the Ross Perot Jr. ownership group. Cuban contended that Nelson forfeited the money when he took the Golden State head coaching job in August 2006 because it violated a "non-compete" clause in Nelson's Mavs contract. Nelson was serving as a consultant at the time. Fort Worth Star-Telegram

In an e-mail Thursday, Cuban said that he got exactly what he wanted out of the deal, "the true facts of the situation." Cuban said that Nelson, under oath, said that during the 2006 Finals, when Avery Johnson led the Mavs against the Miami Heat and prior to Nelson taking the Warriors' coaching job, Nelson was "meeting with the Warriors' GM and helping the Warriors work on their draft plans." "Unfortunately, according to the arbitrator, because I held back about $25,000 in payments as I tried to understand the situation, I am obligated to pay him the deferred money he was to be paid," Cuban added in the e-mail. "Basically, I pay him the exact same amount I would have had this not happened. "I can live with that. It was all worth the hassle to find out what really happened." Fort Worth Star-Telegram

That didn't stop Nelson's lawyer from gloating. "Cuban's lawyers did an excellent job of putting lipstick on this pig," O'Connor said. "But, unfortunately it kept oinking." Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Andres Nocioni's name has come up again from other media outlets. I know the Nets like him and have gone after him in the past. I'm not sure if he's still a legit name after the signing of Eduardo Najera. Nocioni is a better player, but they are similar. Plus, Nocioni's deal, even though it descends, could hamper the Nets for 2010. But I would never say anything is dead until someone is moved. Bergen Record

The story for the Nets is the same: Stromile Swift, Sean Williams and Maurice Ager are three candidates to be elsewhere. You probably can throw Keith Van Horn in there as well. It's just a matter of finding someone who wants to take back Swift's $6.2 million salary - it hasn't been sought after even if it's just for one year - and Williams, who also hasn't been sought after despite his obvious athleticism. Bergen Record

As the Jazz introduced Brevin Knight on Thursday, general manager Kevin O'Connor said the team was likely done with player signings but would be exploring trades. "We're done with signing probably any free agents," O'Connor said, "but we're certainly not done continuing to look at working our roster to improve ourselves." Salt Lake Tribune

After matching Oklahoma City's offer sheet to C.J. Miles last week, the Jazz now have the NBA-maximum 15 players on their roster. O'Connor said trade talks are more intense in August than July, with most general managers having moved on from free agency. Salt Lake Tribune

Kings: While they coveted Bobby Jackson for his expiring contract and his ability to offer veteran support at point guard, his reputation as a positive presence and no-nonsense personality also were factors. Those character traits proved convenient from 2000 to 2005, his first go-round with the Kings, when the locker room pulse mattered less than the play on the court. The climate is different now. With a roster full of young talent the Kings hope in coming seasons to groom as pieces of an eventual contender, Jackson - as the 35-year-old entering his 12th season knows - will be asked to play sage and leader. Sacramento Bee

The six-foot-five Maurice Evans signed with the Hawks in hope of replacing reliable sixth-man Josh Childress, who surprisingly bolted for Greece. Evans accepted a three-year deal reportedly for about US$7.5 million earlier in the week. Some would consider Evans to be a downgrade from the younger Childress, a first-round draft pick who averaged in double figures each of his first four seasons. He also scored 11.8 points per game to help the Hawks reach the playoffs for the first time in nine years. AP/Toronto Sun

Evans: "I'm an Iron Man," he said. "If you want someone to defend, I can do that. If they need outside shooting, I can do that. Whenever they need me, I'm just going to get to work." AP/Toronto Sun
Denver Nuggets rookie Sonny Weems had surgery Thursday to repair a sports hernia. Weems, a second-round pick who was acquired by the Nuggets on draft night, is expected to fully recover in time for the start of training camp on Sept. 30. AP/Toronto Sun

The Chicago Bulls waived guard JamesOn Curry on Thursday. The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Curry was the team's second-round pick in the 2007 NBA draft. AP/Chicago Sun-Times

[h2]Williams Agrees ToFive-Year Deal With Sixers[/h2]
Williams_Louis_phi_080416.jpg

Jul 31, 2008 7:37 PM EST

phi_40.gif
The 76ersagreed to terms today with restricted free agent guard Louis Williams on a 5-year contract.

Additional terms of the deal were not immediately known.

"It's a good deal for Louis," Merle Scott, Williams' agent, told the Daily News. "It gives him a chance to growwith a team that's building and allows him to stay with the team he came into the league with."The 76ers agreed to terms today with restricted freeagent guard Louis Williams on a 5-year contract.

Via Philadelphia Daily News

Philadelphia 76ers

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Minimal Interest InGordon Sign-And-Trade[/h2]
Jul 31, 2008 12:28 PM EST

chi_40.gif
The Bullsbelieve a contract in the neighborhood of $60 million over six seasons is fair for Ben Gordon.

"We will continue to talk to Ben's representative (Raymond Brothers) and look for ways to get him signed," GeneralManager John Paxson said in an e-mail statement.

"Every contract and negotiation is different, but we value Ben and respect the part he has played for us the past four seasonsand certainly want him to be a part of our future, as well."

The issue with Gordon isn't so much whether he deserves more than $9.9 million per season but whether he can get a better contractfrom another team, either in the NBA or Europe.

So far, the sign-and-trade interest in Gordon has been minimal.

Via Daily Herald

Chicago Bulls

[h2]Foreign AndDomestic, Jason Williams Weighing Options[/h2]
Aug 01, 2008 12:24 PM EST

mia_40.gif
The MiamiHerald has confirmed that Jason Williams has indeed received interest from Tel Aviv but is still weighing his options with a couple of differentsuitors.

Williams is seeking a $3 million annual deal from Tel Aviv, but they are thinking more along the lines of $1.5 million, which wouldlikely be his going rate from an NBA club.

Via Miami Herald

Miami Heat, Euroleague Basketball

Read the Full Story Discuss Send FeedbackBuy Tickets

[h2]Magic Re-Sign AdonalFoyle[/h2]
Aug 01, 2008 12:14 PM EST

orl_40.gif
The OrlandoMagic have re-signed free agent center Adonal Foyle to a one-year deal.

Foyle played in all 82 games for the Magic last season before being benched in the playoffs for rookie Marcin Gortat.

In those 82 games last season, foyle averaged 1.9 points and 2.5 rebounds.

Via Florida Today

Orlando Magic

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback BuyTickets

[h2]Nuggets'Rookie Weems Has Surgery For Sports Hernia[/h2]
Aug 01, 2008 6:20 AM EST

den_40.gif
Nuggets'rookie Sonny Weems had surgery Thursday to repair a sports hernia, the Associated Press is reporting.

Weems is expected to fully recover in time for the start of training camp on Sept. 30.

Via Associated Press

Denver Nuggets

[h2]Okafor's Six-Year, $72M Deal With Bobcats Becomes Official[/h2]
Aug 01, 2008 2:39 AM EST

cha_40.gif
Forward EmekaOkafor officially signed his six year, $72 million contract with the Charlotte Bobcats on Thursday, the Associated Press is reporting.

"The Bobcats and the entire Charlotte community embraced me from day one," Okafor said in a statement. "It'sexciting to enter this season with a Hall of Fame coach and teammates who are committed to winning."

"It was important for us to get a deal done," General Manager Rod Higgins said. "Securing Emeka demonstrates that BobJohnson and the rest of our ownership group are committed to building a winning franchise in Charlotte. Any time you have a player who consistently ranks amongthe NBA's best in rebounding and shot blocking, you want to keep a guy like that around."

Via USA Today

Charlotte Bobcats

Read the Full Story Discuss SendFeedback BuyTickets

[h2]Don NelsonWins Arbitration Case Against Mark Cuban[/h2]
Aug 01, 2008 2:36 AM EST

dal_40.gif
Don Nelson wasawarded around $6.3 million in the arbitration case against Mavericks' owner Mark Cuban, the Dallas Morning News is reporting.

Nelson filed for arbitration on his claim the Mavericks owed him more than $6 million in deferred salary from when Ross Perot Jr.owned the team.

"It was not so much a defeat of Cuban as it was an %%%-whipping," O'Connor said. "Cuban's lawyers did a goodjob of painting lips on a pig."

Via Dallas Morning News

Dallas Mavericks

[h2]Agent:Rockets' Mutombo Unlikely To Play For Vet Minimum[/h2]
Aug 01, 2008 2:33 AM EST

hou_40.gif
According toagent David Falk, it is unlikely that veteran center Dikembe Mutombo will play another season for the Rockets for the veteran minimum, the Houston Chronicle isreporting.

"It would surprise me if they thought he would come back for the veteran's minimum," Falk said. "I've know(Rockets' owner) Leslie Alexander for a long time. Dikembe has a very good relationship with Les. We'll get together when we get back and see if therecan be a situation for Dikembe to consider playing another season."

The minimum for a veteran with Mutombo's experience is roughly $1.3 million. If he was paid the minimum, however, the Rocketswould only pay $797,581 of that amount (with the NBA subsidizing the difference), and only the amount the Rockets pay would count when calculating whethertheir payroll exceeds the luxury tax threshold.

"That's all stuff we need to negotiate with him," Morey said. "I don't know if what we're doing has beendecided. We're planning to sit down with Dikembe, it looks like after the Olympics. We hope to convince him to return."

Via Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets

Read the Full Story Discuss SendFeedback BuyTickets

[h2]Phone Call From FedEx CEO Leading To Memphis Investigation By NCAA[/h2]
Jul 31, 2008 9:17 PM EST

ncaa_40.gif
FedEx Expresspresident and CEO David Bronczek placed a call to Abdul Gaddy's mother Oseye Gaddy, who is one of 190,000 employees for the company.

Gaddy is being recruited by Memphis, and the phone call is now being investigated as Bronczek is a booster for the program.

"We're aware of the issue," said Stacey Osburn, NCAA associate director of public and media relations.

Via FoxSports

NCAA Basketball

Read the Full Story Discuss SendFeedback

[h2]Reno D-League TeamTo Be Called The Bighorns[/h2]
Jul 31, 2008 8:39 PM EST

nbadl_40.gif
The NBADevelopment League's Reno team, which is set to begin play in 2008-09, today announced it would be known as the Bighorns. Team owner David Kahn and ChiefOperating Officer Tony Funderburg were on hand for the announcement of the name and unveiling of both primary and secondary logos for the Bighorns. Theannouncement took place at Reno's Rancho San Rafael Regional Park in coordination with the Northern Nevada Chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters.

Named for Nevada's state animal, the team's logo consists of the bust of a bighorn sheep, with massive curled horns, gazinginto the distance. "Reno Bighorns" is emblazoned below that image. The logo colors of blue, green, tan and white were chosen to reflect the colors ofthe Lake Tahoe area.

"The name Bighorns was by far the No. 1 choice of our fans and, we think, is a name that is synonymous with the region,"said Kahn. "We're thrilled to represent such a vibrant and diverse community and provide affordable entertainment for all walks of life. The Bighornswill have big action - but little prices for tickets."

The team also announced that it will donate 250 hours of service to Big Brothers Big Sisters and a cash donation for the 2008-09season. Pat Fling, President/CEO of the Northern Nevada chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters, was on hand for the joint announcement. Through the relationship,the Bighorns will work with Big Brothers Big Sisters to enrich the Reno/Tahoe community through their service.

"I am delighted that the new NBA D-League Reno team is partnering with Big Brothers Big Sisters," said Fling. "Thiswill help us as we are changing the way children grow up in Northern Nevada. They have been great to work with and we appreciate their interest in supportingBig Brothers Big Sisters."

Via Press Release

Minor League

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]OKC Purchases Tulsa D-LeagueTeam[/h2]
Jul 31, 2008 7:35 PM EST

okc_40.gif
The NationalBasketball Association announced today that the Professional Basketball Club, LLC, owner of the Oklahoma City NBA franchise, has reached an agreement inprinciple to purchase the Tulsa 66ers of the NBA Development League from Southwest Basketball, LLC. Oklahoma City becomes the third NBA team to purchase an NBAD-League affiliate, joining the Los Angeles Lakers (L.A. D-Fenders) and the San Antonio Spurs (Austin Toros) as sole owners of their affiliates.

"As owners of the Tulsa 66ers, we will be able to oversee the team's business operations and provide a valuable developmentalvehicle for some of our young players," said Clay Bennett, chairman of Professional Basketball Club, LLC. "We have received tremendous support fromTulsa for our NBA team in Oklahoma City and we are excited to be a part of the NBA D-League in the Tulsa area. It's going to be a greatpartnership."

Via Press Release

Oklahoma City,Minor League

[h2]Clippers Sign BrianSkinner[/h2]
Jul 31, 2008 5:03 PM EST

lac_40.gif
The Los AngelesClippers signed veteran forward Brian Skinner, vice president of basketball operations announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not announced.Originally drafted by the Clippers in the first round (22nd overall pick) of the 1998 NBA Draft, Skinner is a 10-year NBA veteran who returns to Los Angelesafter playing 66 games last season with the Phoenix Suns. Skinner averaged 3.3 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 0.2 assists for Phoenix in 2007-08. "BrianSkinner is a veteran NBA player who will give us both size and depth in the middle," Baylor said. "We are familiar with Brian and know that he willbe a good fit in his return to the Clippers."

Via Boston Herald

Los Angeles Clippers

[h2]JamesOn Curry Waived ByChicago[/h2]
Jul 31, 2008 4:17 PM EST

chi_40.gif
The ChicagoBulls announced today that the team has waived guard JamesOn Curry. Curry (6-3, 190), was selected by Chicago in the second round (51st overall) of NBA Draft2007.

Via Press Release

Chicago Bulls

[h2]Bulls Discover SomeTrade Interest In Hughes[/h2]
Jul 31, 2008 3:28 PM EST

chi_40.gif
The Bulls havediscovered some interest in guard Larry Hughes with the obvious caveat of exchanging troublesome contract for troublesome contract.

Since the Bulls need to thin out their backcourt, some possibilities could include Portland's Joe Przybilla, New York's JaredJeffries, Dallas' Erick Dampier, or Denver's Kenyon Martin.

Via Daily Herald

Chicago Bulls

Back
Top Bottom