Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

I like this pick up my Boston. If he comes back and can play he will make an impact and it is almost impossible to not play hard with the big 3.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by rickybadman

More time to devote to killing his players NBA dreams.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Yeah right.
Yeah! Duke is a NBA FACTORY..
eyes.gif

[h2]Nuggets Re-Sign J.R.Smith[/h2]
Smith_JR_den_080428.jpg

Aug 22, 2008 2:30 PM EST

den_40.gif
The Nuggetsre-signed restricted free agent guard J.R. Smith to a multi-year deal on Friday, according to an Associated Press report.

The 22-year-old averaged 12.6 points for the Nuggets over the past two seasons.

RealGM Note: Smith was 162nd in season FIC but had a very good 13.4 per 40 FIC (better than off guards like Rip Hamilton and MichaelRedd) and 'deserved' to make just over $4 million.

Via AP

Denver Nuggets

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback BuyTickets

[h2]Celtics Sign DariusMiles[/h2]
Aug 22, 2008 12:13 PM EST

bos_40.gif
The BostonCeltics announced today that they have signed free agent forward Darius Miles. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Miles, a 6'9", 235lbs forward out of East St. Louis High School has posted career averages of 10.6 points, 5.2 rebounds and1.15 blocks in 412 career games. Miles was originally drafted with the third overall pick in the 2000 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. Miles last playedfor the Portland Trail Blazers during the 2005-06 season when he averaged a career high 14.0 points and 4.6 rebounds in 40 games. Miles missed all of the2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons due to microfracture surgery on his right knee.

"Darius has been in twice for workouts with us and has impressed us with his progress, health, and attitude;" said DannyAinge, Celtics Executive Director of Basketball Operations/General Manager. "Darius will have the next couple of months to prove to myself and CoachRivers that he can help us win."

The Bellville, Illinois native became the first player in NBA history to receive All-Rookie honors straight out of high school when heaveraged 9.4 points and 1.54 blocks for the Clippers in the 2000-01 season. Miles scored in double-figures in 31 of the 40 games that he appeared in during hislast NBA season in 2005-06. As a starter in 23 of those 40 games he averaged 16.9 points, 5.0 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocks pergame.

"I've watched the Boston Celtics play a lot last year and loved what I saw in their teamwork and chemistry on the court andit's the team that I want to try to resume my career with." said Miles. "I am excited about having an opportunity to play on a team that I feelmy personality fits with and a team that can have great success on the court."

Via Press Release

Boston Celtics

[h2]Warriors' JacksonWaiting For Big Contract[/h2]
Aug 23, 2008 5:46 AM EST

gsw_40.gif
Golden Stateswingman Stephen Jackson is waiting his turn in line for a big contract like the ones a number of his teammates received this offseason, according to TheContra Costa Times.

Jackson, 30, has two years and $14.89 million left on his contract, with $7.14 million of that total coming this season.

Jackson was slated to be the second-highest paid player on the team this season, to Al Harrington, but that was before the Warriorsgave extensions to Monta Ellis (six years, $66 million), Andris Biedrins (six years, $54 million) and signed Corey Maggette (five years, $50million).

"It's something I always think about," Jackson said recently. "It's definitely something that has to beaddressed because of what I do for this team and what I've done since I've been here, bringing this team from one of the bottom teams in the league toa playoff team, to a team that won 49 games. It's not what I want, it's what I deserve...I won't be comfortable going into this season knowing Ihave to play this whole season being the fifth highest-paid and not get an extension. I would not be happy."

Jackson can't receive a pay increase midcontract, due to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, but he is up for anextension.

"I feel real confident that I will have it soon," he said. "I will get something done soon, before the seasonstarts.

"So in the position I'm in now, being the (sixth)-highest paid player, I feel like from the conversations I've had withthe team that it won't be like that once the season starts."

Via The Contra Costa Times

Golden State Warriors

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Restraining Order MadeAgainst Shaq[/h2]
Aug 23, 2008 3:41 AM EST

phx_40.gif
Fulton CountySuperior Court Judge Richard Hicks granted Alexis Miller's request for a restraining order against Suns center Shaquille O'Neal Thursday, the ArizonaRepublic is reporting.

Miller alleges that O'Neal stalked her, threatened her with bodily harm and made harassing phone calls in which he breathedheavily into the phone before hanging up.

Miller, a 23-year-old hip-hop artist known professionally as Maryjane, claimed she ended an intimate relationship with O'Neal lastmonth. She alleged he then threatened to pay performers $50,000 each not to work with her.

"It's been very difficult for her," said L. David Wolfe, Miller's Atlanta-based attorney. "Her fears are notonly for herself but also the people around her." He said Miller, who has a young son, is "pretty traumatized."

Via Arizona Republic

Phoenix Suns

[h2]Fazekas Working Out ForSpurs[/h2]
Aug 23, 2008 3:36 AM EST

san_40.gif
FormerMavericks second round pick Nick Fazekas, who finished the season last year with the Los Angeles Clippers, is currently working out with the San Antonio Spursin an effort to stay in the league, the Denver Post is reporting.

When asked whether he was anxious he had yet to sign a contract or comfortable letting an offer come in before NBA training camps openon Oct. 1, he said: "A little bit of both."

"I've got faith in my agent, that he will put in the best possible situation," Fazekas said.

He said his goal is to play in the NBA next season, but he might take a look at playing overseas if an NBA team doesn't comecalling.

"If I had to go to Europe, it's not the end of the world," Fazekas said.

Via Denver Post

San Antonio Spurs

[h2]Celtics Sign BillWalker[/h2]
Aug 22, 2008 6:23 PM EST

bos_40.gif
The BostonCeltics announced today that they have signed 2008 second round draft pick Bill Walker. Per team policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed."Bill's hard work and skill development this summer has given us the belief that he can be in our short-term plans as well as our long-termplans." said Danny Ainge, Celtics Executive Director of Basketball Operations/General Manager.

Via Press Release

Boston Celtics

[h2]Spurs Re-Sign Finley[/h2]
Aug 22, 2008 5:10 PM EST

san_40.gif
The San AntonioSpurs announced today that they have re-signed guard Michael Finley. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed. The 6-7, 225-lb Finley was one oftwo Spurs (Fabricio Oberto was the other) to appear in all 82 games during the 2007-08 season. He averaged 10.1 points, 3.1 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 26.9minutes and shot .414 (315-761) from the field, .370 (132-357) from three-point land and .800 (64-80) from the line.

Via Press Release

San Antonio Spurs

Read the Full Story Discuss SendFeedback BuyTickets

[h2]Hornets Bring Back DevinBrown[/h2]
Aug 22, 2008 4:43 PM EST

noh_40.gif
The Hornetshave signed swingman Devin Brown, who played in Cleveland last season after departing from New Orleans, according to The Times-Picayune.

"I'll be all over the place," Brown said Friday. "I can play one through four, basically. And if I was a couple ofinches taller, I'd play at the five, too. Wherever coach (Byron Scott) needs me to play, I'll play."

Brown averaged 7.5 points a game last season with the Cavaliers.

Via The Times-Picayune

New Orleans Hornets

[h2]Bucks Get Good NewsRegarding Bogut[/h2]
Aug 22, 2008 4:40 PM EST

mil_40.gif
The Bucks havereceived some positive news, as center Andrew Bogut didn't damage any ligaments in his ankle on Wednesday when Australia battled the United States,according to The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Bogut stepped on the foot of Kobe Bryant during the United States' victory on Wednesday, which ended Australia's Olympicrun.

"The initial tests show no tear or break of anything," said David Bauman, Bogut's agent, late Thursday. "It lookslike it's a bad sprain, and he will probably need a couple weeks of rest, recuperation and rehab.

"As of now, we're not worried that it's something very serious. It's just a very bad ankle sprain."

Via The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Milwaukee Bucks

[h2]Kings Want Jackson To BeTeam Leader[/h2]
Aug 22, 2008 4:36 PM EST

sac_40.gif
The Kings arehoping that guard Bobby Jackson can become the team leader during his second stint with the team, according to The Sacramento Bee.

"I'm not Superman," Jackson said during a news conference on Thursday. "None of these guys are Superman. We allhave to buy into coach (Reggie) Theus' system. We have to play hard."

Jackson, 35, is the oldest member of a relatively young Kings' team.

"We have a lot of different guys here," Jackson said. "We have a group of guys who can play the game. Probably not theAll-Star-quality type that Vlade (Divac) and Mike (Bibby) were, but they are all players that can get the job done."

Via The Sacramento Bee

Sacramento Kings

[h2]Mbenga Deciding BetweenLakers And Heat[/h2]
Aug 22, 2008 4:30 PM EST

mia_40.gif
Free agentcenter D.J. Mbenga had a workout in Miami earlier this week and it appears as though he's considering both the Heat and Lakers, according to The MiamiHerald.

Mbenga averaged 1.4 points and 1.3 rebounds in 26 games with the Lakers last season, after getting waived by the Warriors.

"There is interest," agent Bouna Ndiaye said of the Heat. "I'm not sure how strong the interest is in signing himbut they want to get a look at him first."

"D.J. is the perfect fit in size and the opposite style of Mark Blount," Ndiaye added. "He's a good fit, exactlywhat the team needs. He defends, he's a great energy guy and showed that with the Lakers and Dallas."

Via The Miami Herald

Miami Heat, Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Kobe: 'I Feel Younger ThanEver'[/h2]
Aug 22, 2008 10:12 AM EST

lal_40.gif
Lakers guardKobe Bryant feels great, even after an extended season involving a trip to the NBA Finals and an appearance at the Olympics, according to AFP.

"I honestly feel younger now than I did last year or a couple of years ago," Bryant says. "My legs feel great, and Ifeel good."

Bryant is averaging 14.7 points and 21.5 minutes per game in Beijing.

"I'm in a great spot right now with the US team, and the team back home, improvements that we've made, and feelinggood," Bryant said.

Via AFP

Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Ratliff: 'I StillIntimidate People'[/h2]
Aug 22, 2008 10:07 AM EST

phi_40.gif
Recently signedcenter Theo Ratliff is happy to be back with the 76ers and believes that he "still intimidates people" in the NBA, according to PhillyBlurbs.

"I'm a lot older," said Ratliff. "I definitely have to take care of myself. I can't go out there no-holdsbarred anymore like I used to. I can't play 35 minutes a game, but I still feel like I've got a lot of game in me. I can go out on the court and becompetitive. I still intimidate people coming into that hoop."

Philadelphia signed the ten-year veteran to a one-year deal worth the veteran minimum of $1.26 million.

"It's a place I hold near and dear to my heart," Ratliff said. "I wasn't very happy to leave under thecircumstances when I did. My wife was saying, "Why not go back to Philly?' We met there, got married there, started our life there. I felt it'd bea great opportunity to come here and be a part of the turnaround of the team."

Via Philly Blurbs

Philadelphia 76ers

dreClark:
YngSeanCombs12:
eyes.gif

They aren't?

Duke doesn't put players into the league every year???

nerd.gif

Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Jay Williams, Grant Hill, and J.J. Re_ick would like to speak with you in their office.

Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer won't be attending the meeting, as they're too busy being the exceptions to the curse.

Granted, not all of those guys failed because of circumstances under their own control, but still...
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

dreClark:
YngSeanCombs12:
eyes.gif
They aren't?

nerd.gif

Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Jay Williams, Grant Hill, and J.J. Re_ick would like to speak with you in their office.

Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer won't be attending the meeting, as they're too busy being the exceptions to the curse.

Granted, not all of those guys failed because of circumstances under their own control, but still...
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

you can add corey maggette and luol deng.

maybe to a lesser degree mike dunleavy jr and chris duhon.

[h2]Kidd Turns Attention ToMavericks[/h2]
Kidd_Jason_dal_080425.jpg

Aug 25, 2008 8:33 AM EST

dal_40.gif
Jason Kiddextended his record as a member of Team USA to 56-0 in Olympics, Olympic qualifying and exhibition games.

"I'm undefeated," said Kidd. "I told them I can retire now from international ball, but LeBron [James] threw outsomething I didn't like. He said he won't play in 2012 unless I'm there."

"J-Kidd is going to become a player-coach now," said James.

But Kidd has already turned his attention to the Mavericks.

"Coach Carlisle's already texted me, telling me training camp starts in a month," Kidd said, adding that he talked toDirk Nowitzki about the same subject. "I'm excited. I can't wait."

"I was telling Casey [Smith, the Mavs trainer who was with Team USA in Beijing], 'We were only five games out of being in theNo. 1 (seed)," Kidd said of last season, when the Mavericks got bounced from the first round of the playoffs.

"Now I'll become selfish and shoot all of those shots that I didn't shoot here," he said. "Carlisle and Italked about it before I left. I've been working on shooting a lot of shots. We'll see what happens."

Via Dallas Morning-News

Dallas Mavericks

[h2]Cavaliers Work Out LorenzenWright[/h2]
Aug 24, 2008 5:24 PM EST

cle_40.gif
The Cavaliersare still searching for a solid big man, and they reportedly worked out veteran center Lorenzen Wright at their practice facility this past week, according toThe News-Herald.

Wright has career averages of 8.1 points and 6.5 rebounds, but he posted just 0.8 points and 2.1 rebounds per contest last season(split between Atlanta and Sacramento).

Via The News-Herald

Cleveland Cavaliers

[h2]Bucks AndWarriors To Play in 2008 China Games[/h2]
Aug 25, 2008 11:45 AM EST

mil_40.gif
The MilwaukeeBucks and Golden State Warriors will play in the 2008 China Games, with games scheduled during the week of Oct. 12 in Guangzhou and Beijing, sources haveconfirmed.

Yi Jianlian was traded to the Nets by the Bucks back in June.

Via Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Milwaukee Bucks, Golden State Warriors

[h2]Stan:Howard Would Be Better Off Working On Individual Game[/h2]
Aug 25, 2008 11:30 AM EST

orl_40.gif
Dwight Howardhas already committed to be a member of Team USA during the 2012 Olympics in London, but Stan Van Gundy believes his overall play would improve by working onhis individual game in the offseason.

"To be quite honest, he'd be better off in the gym at RDV every day," Van Gundy said. "But in terms of Dwight'slife and what he accomplished, it's an Olympic gold medal. Come on, not a lot of people are walking around with one of those."

Via Orlando Sentinel

Orlando Magic

Read the Full Story Discuss SendFeedback BuyTickets

[h2]Brown Blames9/11 And Injuries For Bronze In 2004[/h2]
Aug 25, 2008 11:20 AM EST

nba_40.gif
Larry Brown wasthe head coach of Team USA during their Bronze medal performance in the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

"The thing is they got guys that are willing to make a three-year commitment, which I think is tremendous," Brown said ofthis current Team USA. "We had guys that committed (for 2004) and then all of a sudden 9/11 happened, and then there were injuries."

Kobe Bryant, Jason Kidd, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen all made late withdraws for various reasons.

Via New York Daily News

GeneralBasketball, Charlotte Bobcats

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]Nocioni Thinks Knee IsFine[/h2]
Aug 24, 2008 11:30 PM EST

chi_40.gif
Andres Nocioniwas diving for loose balls long after the bronze medal was already secure despite playing with a knee he twisted in Argentina's loss to the United Statesand the Bulls' forward thinks that his knee is fine. Maybe.

"I do not feel my knee right now because I feel my bronze medal right here," said a jubilant Nocioni, putting his hand onhis heart Sunday after Argentina had beaten Lithuania 87-75.

He said the bronze medal, "Is huge for us, man. We are not like the U.S. or China. We have few medals, so we need toenjoy."

Via Chicago Tribune

Chicago Bulls

[h2]Sun: 'I Want To ShowMyself To The World'[/h2]
Aug 24, 2008 5:19 PM EST

lal_40.gif
Sun Yue helpedmake a name for himself while leading China in this year's Olympics and hopes to show himself to the world in the NBA.

Yue was selected with the fortieth overall pick in this June's NBA Draft by the Lakers, and the team has reportedly agreed toterms with the point guard on a deal.

"I want to show myself to the world," said Sun. "I tried to do my best and play my part on the court. For me, everysecond counts at the Olympics, so I want to take the chance to let people know me."

Sun played against his future teammate Kobe Bryant, during China's opening round loss to the United States.

"I met Kobe and told him I'd like to play with him next season, he said 'OK', and 'see you in trainingcamp'," Sun added.

The league's MVP appears to be impressed with his newest teammate, as well.

"I think he's very talented, actually," said Bryant. "I was very impressed by him. I think he has great size, greatlength, good shooting touch, good ball handler, good vision, good pace."

"I was surprised at his size right off the top. He was able to handle the ball. I tried to test him a little bit, see if he couldgo left, go right, that sort of thing. So I like him."

Via China Daily

Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Carmelo Hoping ToMeet Obama At Convention[/h2]
Aug 24, 2008 1:14 PM EST

den_40.gif
The DemocraticNational Convention is being held in Denver and Carmelo Anthony will attend.

Anthony supports Barack Obama and hopes to meet him at the convention at Pepsi Center.

"I support him 100 percent," Anthony said. "I'm not a politician, I can tell you that right now. But I supportBarack Obama. That's history, too, for it to go on at the place where I work. I'd love to be a part of that."

Via Boston Globe

Denver Nuggets

[h2]Coach K: Mills Will Be An NBAGuard[/h2]
Aug 24, 2008 1:08 PM EST

ncaa_40.gif
Australia's Patrick Mills, who will be a sophomore at St. Mary's, had an impressive 20 points against the United States and 22 againstArgentina in the Olympics.

"I'm glad my Duke team doesn't play St. Mary's," said US coach Mike Krzyzewski. "He is a great guard, andhe will be an NBA guard."

"I played against the best [in the Olympics] and I take a lot from it and learned a lot," said Mills. "I'm muchbetter."

Via Boston Globe

NCAA Basketball, NBA Draft

[h2]MiamiThinks Beasley May Eventually Play Small Forward?[/h2]
Aug 24, 2008 1:01 PM EST

mia_40.gif
Unless theMiami Heat are able to shed some of their multi-year deals, they likely will have a little more than $11 million next summer to pursue a free agent such asCarlos Boozer.

Miami has told people they would like to see if Michael Beasley could eventually play the small forward position, which would allow apairing with Boozer.

Miami has $32 million committed for 2010-11.

Via Miami Herald

Miami Heat

Read the Full Story Discuss Send FeedbackBuy Tickets

[h2]Kidd Giving Gold Medal ToWynn's Wife[/h2]
Aug 24, 2008 12:56 PM EST

dal_40.gif
Elaine Wynn,who is married to casino owner Steve Wynn, was promised by Jason Kidd that he would give her his newest Olympic medal if the Americans won the gold.

"It's not a (gambling) marker or anything like that," Kidd told The Arizona Republic. "She's just a greatfriend and a really great person."

They met last year when Kidd and the USA team stayed at the Wynn while training in Las Vegas.

"Last summer, we stayed at the Wynn for (what seemed like) a lifetime, close to three weeks," Kidd said. "We met at abanquet, we got to talking, and she really understands the game."

"I told her I'd make a deal with her, that if we won the gold medal, I'd give it to her. She thought I was kidding. But Itold her I had one already, and the way they treated us at the Wynn, it was the least I could do."

Via Review-Journal

Dallas Mavericks

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Ticke
[h2]Manu Say He's OK WithPopovich[/h2]
Aug 24, 2008 6:55 AM EST

san_40.gif
Manu Ginobiliclaims that his relationship with Spurs' Coach Gregg Popovich is fine, according to The Rocky Mountain News.

Popovich had spoken out about not wanting his prized guard to play in the Olympics because of a lingering ligament problem in his leftankle.

"I talked to Pop, and he's definitely fine," Ginobili said. "He understands the whole situation. He understands theway I feel about all of this (playing for his country). I bet my (butt) that if Pop was a player, he'd have done the same thing. I'm totally sure aboutwhat I've done. I'm proud, and I'm happy."

Ginobili did not play in the bronze medal game after aggravating his ankle on Friday against the USA.

"I can walk. I can jog even," Ginobili said. "But running like you need to run in a game like this, I couldn't. SoI didn't try to be a hero... I only could have damaged the team."

Via The Rocky Mountain News

San Antonio Spurs

[h2]GinobiliTo Seek Treatment In U.S. After Olympics Injury[/h2]
Aug 24, 2008 6:35 AM EST

san_40.gif
Spurs'guard Manu Ginolibi said after Argentina won the bronze medal on Sunday that he will be heading to San Antonio for more tests on the strained ligament in hisleft foot, according to a report in the Houston Chronicle.

Ginobili injured the foot early in Argentina's semi final loss to the United States, who won the gold on Sunday.

It is the same injury that hobbled him at the end of the Spurs' season.

"It's a little messed up, but it will be fine," he said after the game. Ginobili tried several treatments on Saturday -which he called "a very long day" - but nothing worked.

"I had some pain in it this morning, and icing it didn't help," he said. "I tried to run, but I still couldn't.I didn't want to hurt the team by trying to play."

Via Houston Chronicle

San Antonio Spurs

[h1]Suns trade away Strawberry, receive rookie Singletary[/h1]
[h3]August 25th, 2008 @ 3:06pm[/h3] [h3]by Tyler Bassett/Sports 620 KTAR[/h3]

The Phoenix Suns have traded guard DJ Strawberry to the Houston Rockets for rookie point guard Sean Singletary, reports Sports 620 KTAR's John Gambadoro.

Singletary was a second-round draft pick (number 42 overall) of the Sacramento Kings before being traded to the Rockets on August 14. The six-foot 185 pound point guard will be vying for time to be Steve Nash's backup.

Singletary played all four seasons the University of Virginia, averaging more than 19 points a game his last two seasons. His senior season stats were 19.8 points per game, 6.1 assists, 3.8 rebounds, 1.8 steals, and 3.9 turnovers.

Strawberry played in 33 games with the Suns last season, also splitting time with the NBA Developmental League. Strawberry averaged 2.2 points per game.

I'm not sure if I like this trade at all.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

dreClark:
YngSeanCombs12:
eyes.gif
They aren't?

nerd.gif

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

grant hill IS NOT a failure.

in the very short time before the injuries, he was:

7 time allstar
First Team All NBA
4 time 2nd team All NBA
rookie of the year
led the nba in triple doubles one season

he averaged 20.2 ppg, 9.8 reb, and 6.9 ast in just his 2nd season, which is one of the more impressve statlines for a wing in recent memory.

in fact his career numbers are still 19.3ppg, 6.8 reb, and 5 ast.

and that's with half a career plagued by injuries.

failure? no damn way.

christian laettener spent over a decade in the league. how many can say that?

brand, boozer, deng, maggette, dunleavy, hill, battier, duhon, all of these guys are at the very least contributing to their teams. even guys like daniel ewingand dahntay jones are still finding teams interested in their services.

the 'duke produces busts' thing is MYTH. flat out.

EDIT: i forgot to post what entered this thread to post in the first place.

beasley is a 4. i dont know why people always want to see players a position down from where they really belong.

beasley in not going to be able handle any 3's on D. enter marion, who for some reason keeps getting stuck at the 4.

beasley at the 4, marion at the 3.

that is how it should go.

Oh, I get it.

So, y'all want Coach K to put out a Grant Hill or a Elton Brand every year.

Ok.

I got ya.

Makes perfect sense.

I mean, every other school does that, why can't Duke.

he averaged 20.2 ppg, 9.8 reb, and 6.9 ast in just his 2nd season, which is one of the more impressve statlines for a wing in recent memory.

that is sick

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

/\ Singletary > Strawberry
He's insanely undersized for an NBA PG, hopefully he will work out.

I just loved the defense and hustle DJ Strawberry brought every time he entered the game.

Originally Posted by tupac003

http://www.realgm.com/realgmtix.phtml?t=magic

[h2]Brown Blames 9/11 And Injuries For Bronze In 2004[/h2]
Aug 25, 2008 11:20 AM EST

nba_40.gif
Larry Brown was the head coach of Team USA during their Bronze medal performance in the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

"The thing is they got guys that are willing to make a three-year commitment, which I think is tremendous," Brown said of this current Team USA. "We had guys that committed (for 2004) and then all of a sudden 9/11 happened, and then there were injuries."

Kobe Bryant, Jason Kidd, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen all made late withdraws for various reasons.

Via New York Daily News

General Basketball, Charlotte Bobcats

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
What? 9/11 was in 2001, homie...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

In other news, the Lakers expect to learn in a few days when Kobe Bryant will undergo surgery on his damaged right pinkie. Bryant was injured in a Feb. 5 game against the New Jersey Nets, but put off surgery until after the Olympics. LA Daily News

However, Lakers spokesman John Black reported Monday that Bryant has not decided when he is going to have his finger mended. According to Black, Bryant planned to take a few days to contemplate the situation, upon his return from the Beijing Olympics. Orange County Register

It's official: the Lakers signed Sun Yue on Monday, adding to their depth in the backcourt and increasing their collection of international players. Sun, a 6-foot-9 point guard from China, agreed to a two-season contract earlier this month but delayed signing on the dotted line until after the Beijing Olympics. Financial terms were not disclosed. "He's really looking forward to (joining the Lakers)," said Charles Bonsignore, Sun's agent. "The Olympics gave him kind of a boost. He's optimistic and, obviously, a little bit excited." LA Daily News

Sun averaged 6.8 points, 2.5 assists, 1.7 rebounds and 1.3 steals in six games for China in the just-completed Olympics. China did not medal and did not give Team USA much of a game in the Olympic opener Aug.10. The 23-year-old Sun played three seasons for the Beijing Aoshen Olympians of the ABA, including 2005-06 when the team played its home games at Azusa Pacific. So he is familiar with the Los Angeles area. LA Daily News

Sun had put off signing with the Lakers until after the Olympics, so he could concentrate on leading the Chinese National Team to a medal. In six games, he averaged 6.8 points, 1.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.33 steals. Although China fell short of the medal platform, Sun earned high marks from the Americans. Orange County Register

On Sun Yue: "I think he's very talented, actually," Bryant said at the Olympics. "I was very impressed by him. I think he was great size, great length, good shooting touch, good ball handler, good vision, good pace. "I was surprised at his size right off the top. He was able to handle the ball. I tried to test him a little bit, to see if he could go left, go right, that sort of thing. So I like him." Orange County Register

Competition for minutes in the back court will be intense. The Lakers have signed Dwayne Mitchell and will be looking to fit him and draft pick Joe Crawford into a backcourt that already features Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar, Coby Karl, Sasha Vujacic and Bryant. Orange County Register

Baron Davis: "It would be an honor to play for the gold in London 2012 to keep the Olympic title where it belongs, here in the US. What a dream come true. I can hear the crowd now chanting: USA USA USA!" YardBarker

Hours after a rally celebrating the acquisition of Ron Artest on Monday, the Rockets made a far more subtle roster move, sending guard Sean Singletary to the Phoenix Suns for second-year guard D.J. Strawberry. Singletary, who was chosen with the 42nd pick of the NBA draft in June, had been acquired in the deal for Artest but was not part of the Rockets' plans. His contract would have become partially guaranteed at the end of the month. Houston Chronicle

Strawberry is expected to be with the Rockets in training camp and in the preseason. His contract is non-guaranteed unless he makes the opening-night roster. "He's got a shot to make it," general manager Daryl Morey said. "He's different. He's athletic, can really defend multiple guard spots. Houston Chronicle

The Suns did not see D.J. Strawberry as a player who could mix his prowess to defend guards with an ability to run an offense. So they traded him for a rookie who they think can do both. The Suns dealt Strawberry to the Houston Rockets on Monday for rookie Sean Singletary in a move that adds another true point guard behind starter Steve Nash and incoming Slovenian point guard Goran Dragic. Arizona Republic

Monday's trade will save the Suns about $540,000, including projected luxury-tax savings. Strawberry was due to make $711,517 if he made the Suns' opening-night roster. Singletary will make the rookie minimum of $442,114. Singletary's deal is partially guaranteed but will be fully guaranteed if he is on the Suns' opening-night roster, which the team expects him to be. Arizona Republic

Music blared and airhorns blasted. A throng of about 500 screaming fans sang Ron Artest's name and cheered his every thought. Artest had arrived, bringing his reputation from nine often tumultuous NBA seasons. The Rockets had become his fourth NBA team. But never before had he been so embraced. "It just showed what type of city Houston is," Artest said after Monday's brief midday rally at Toyota Center. "It just showed me I'm definitely going to be in an arena that's full of energy, full of excitement. Having a chance to have those fans on my side, instead of against me, is going to help me play better. " It's only August. When we start winning a whole bunch of games, I can imagine how it's going to be." Houston Chronicle

"A lot of players, some of my friends, were like, 'Houston is a problem now,'?" Artest said. "Like that old saying goes: 'Houston, we have a problem.' Now, other teams in the league, they have a problem." Houston Chronicle

Artest: "Right now, I'm playing with two All-Stars (Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady) . And I've gotten better. I'm better now than I was five years ago, even than when I got Defensive Player of the Year. Everybody's in their prime. This is my best opportunity to put a ring on my finger and help Houston get another championship." Houston Chronicle

So what's next? Colangelo likely will be back for 2012, but the rallying cry to restore basketball world order will be gone, as will about half of the roster. And that's OK. It's a program now. If Kobe Bryant is one and done, and recurring health concerns keep Dwyane Wade from returning, so be it. This was built to carry on with young players such as Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh and Deron Williams stepping into bigger roles. Arizona Republic

Next up for Wade is rest, relaxation and partying before the Heat opens training camp on Sept. 27. Among the first stops on that celebration tour will be at AmericanAirlines Arena on Thursday when the Heat unveils a banner to honor Wade. It will hang in the rafters alongside the team's 2006 championship banner. One of Wade's best Beijing highlights came when he scored 21 of his game-high 27 points in the first half of the gold-medal game. It was a fitting end to a rewarding run -- one in which Wade said he has answered at least some of his critics. Miami Herald

Team USA: There are several possibilities up front to fill Boozer's potential void. The most obvious is Greg Oden. The jury is still out on him as an NBA force, but Oden's sheer size, quickness and defensive presence give him every chance to become a dominant big man and a no-brainer pick for whatever style of play is desired. TrueBluePistons

A northwestern Pennsylvania woman who claims Michael Jordan fathered her son is out of jail after agreeing not to bother Jordan. A Crawford County judge released 35-year-old Lisa Miceli, of Meadville, on Friday. She was jailed Aug. 13 for violating an order in civil suit Jordan filed against her in January. AP/ESPN

It's official: Shaq and Shaunie will remain a team. NBA star Shaquille O'Neal's attorney Ira Elegant wrote to Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Roberto Pineiro: ``The parties have reconciled.'' Pineiro signed the dismissal order on Friday. ''A happy ending,'' says Shaunie's lawyer, Marsha Elser. Elegant agrees. ``An excellent result.'' Miami Herald
[h2]Suns DealStrawberry To Houston For Singletary[/h2]
Singletary_Sean_ncaa_070321.jpg

Aug 25, 2008 6:31 PM EST

phx_40.gif
The PhoenixSuns have acquired Sean Singletary from the Houston Rockets in exchange for D.J. Strawberry, according to NBA.com.

"Sean gives us depth at the point guard spot," said Suns' President of Basketball Operations and General Manager SteveKerr. "We like his instincts and his ability to run a team. He also puts a lot of pressure on the ball defensively. We thank D.J. for his contributionsand wish him well."

In Singletary, the Suns acquire a dynamic 6-0, 185-point rookie guard, who was the 42nd overall selection (second round) of theSacramento Kings in the 2008 NBA Draft.

Via NBA.com

Phoenix Suns, Houston Rockets

[h2]Baron Lobbying For Spot On2012 Team?[/h2]
Aug 25, 2008 9:28 PM EST

lac_40.gif
Baron Davis wasone of the many people who stayed up late to watch the Gold Medal game between the United States and Spain. He was left impressed with Spain, proud of hisfellow Americans and longing to play in London.

"Spain balled their %!+%+ off - can't wait till Rubio makes it to the league," wrote Davis in his blog. "He's agem. Portland should be nice too, with Oden AND Rudy Fernandez coming in (did you see that nasty one-hand over Dwight Howard, are you kidding???).

"It would be an honor to play for the gold in London 2012 to keep the Olympic title where it belongs, here in the US," addedDavis. "What a dream come true."

Via Baron Davis/Yardbarker

Los Angeles Clippers

[h2]Colangelo Expected ToReturn For 2012[/h2]
Aug 26, 2008 7:05 AM EST

phx_40.gif
USA Basketballmanaging director Jerry Colangelo is expected to stay on with the program through the 2012 Olympics in London, according to Yahoo! Sports.

"Look, continuity is important," Colangelo said right after Team USA defeated Spain for the gold medal on Sunday. "Ifyou're a betting guy, you'd say, (I'm) probably going to do it. But it's not official."

Colangelo said he plans to make an announcement next week regarding whether or not he'll officially return.

"Jerry's coming back," said one NBA official.

Via Yahoo!

Phoenix Suns

[h2]Woman In Jordan Case Out OfJail[/h2]
Aug 26, 2008 7:01 AM EST

nba_40.gif
A northwesternPennsylvania woman who claims Michael Jordan fathered her son is out of jail after agreeing not to bother the NBA legend anymore, according to Yahoo!Sports.

Lisa Miceli was released on Friday. She was jailed Aug. 13 for violating an order in civil suit Jordan filed against her inJanuary.

Via Yahoo!

General Basketball

[h2]FBI ProbingHunter's Role In Real Estate Scam[/h2]
Aug 26, 2008 6:58 AM EST

det_40.gif
The FBI isinvestigating whether Pistons' guard Lindsay Hunter and business associates tricked a local boiler operator into buying a $1.25-million house that hecouldn't afford, according to Detroit Free Press.

Attorney Michael J. Smith said that his client Bruce McClellan of Waterford Township recently told the FBI that Hunter and IronJohnson, Hunter's business partner, promised to pay him $300,000 last year to buy the million-dollar house.

The deal called for McClellan to hold the house for one or two months until it could be purchased by someone else.

Hunter could not be reached for comment, but his lawyer said, "Lindsey Hunter hasn't done anything wrong. He was misled byother people who were conducting transactions in the corporation. ... We're still trying to figure out who did what."

Via Detroit Free Press

Detroit Pistons

[h2]500 Fans Welcome Artest ToHouston[/h2]
Aug 25, 2008 9:22 PM EST

hou_40.gif
Ron Artest waswelcomed in Houston by 500 fans on Monday.

"It just showed what type of city Houston is," Artest said after the rally at Toyota Center. "It just showed me I'mdefinitely going to be in an arena that's full of energy, full of excitement. Having a chance to have those fans on my side, instead of against me, isgoing to help me play better."

"It was special. It's only August. When we start winning a whole bunch of games, I can imagine how it's going tobe."

Via Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets

[h2]Lakers Waiting WordOn Kobe's Pinky Surgery[/h2]
Aug 25, 2008 9:19 PM EST

lal_40.gif
Training campfor the Los Angeles Lakers begins on September 30th and the club is awaiting word for when Kobe Bryant will undergo surgery to repair his damaged left pinkyfinger.

Bryant suffered the injury during a February 5th game against the New Jersey Nets.

Via Los Angeles Daily News

Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Lakers Officially Sign SunYue[/h2]
Aug 25, 2008 9:15 PM EST

lal_40.gif
The Lakersfinally officially signed Sun Yue on Monday.

"He's really looking forward to it (joining the Lakers)," said Charles Bonsignore, Sun's agent. "The Olympicsgave him kind of a boost."

Via Los Angeles Daily News

Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Marc GasolCan't Wait To Start Camp With Grizzlies[/h2]
Aug 25, 2008 9:11 PM EST

mem_40.gif
Marc Gasol hadan impressive Olympic tournament and is looking forward to joining the Grizzlies.

"I'm going to relax for a little bit, and then I'll be in Memphis," said Gasol following Spain's loss to theUnited States. "I can't wait to get started."

"It feels good to have accomplished what we accomplished," he said, "but we were so close to winning thegold."

Via Commercial Appeal

Memphis Grizzlies

[h2]SEC Signs $2 Billion DealWith ESPN[/h2]
Aug 25, 2008 7:45 PM EST

ncaa_40.gif
TheSoutheastern Conference has signed a 15-year deal with ESPN reportedly worth more than $2 billion to televise football and men's and women's basketballon their various stations.

The agreement announced Monday is the longest ESPN has ever signed.

"This agreement makes the SEC the most widely distributed conference in the country," said SEC Commissioner MikeSlive.

"The bottom line here is that fans of SEC football will have more access to games and better distribution than they ever have inthe past," Slive added.

Via SI.com

NCAA Basketball

[h2]OU's Griffin CitedFor Public Urination[/h2]
Aug 25, 2008 7:42 PM EST

draft_40.gif
BlakeGriffin, the Oklahoma sophomore who is expected to be a top-five pick in the 2008 NBA draft, has been ticketed by Norman police for outraging publicdecency.

Police officer Barry Grippen wrote the citation saying he saw Griffin urinating on bushes in a parking lot Thursdaymorning.

The report says Griffin told the officer he was waiting for a friend and couldn't leave the area to find a bathroom.

Via SI.com

NBA Draft

Back
Top Bottom