Sneaker alternatives for bodybuilding (squats, deadlifts) - Anyone lift in Jordan 1's?

Hi guys,

I'm after some alternative sneakers more specifically for squats, deadlifts in the gym.
I'm unable to wear socks/go barefoot in this gym.
I'm interested in alternatives to lift specific shoes like the vibrams, romaleos, adipure trainer, and something different to chucks.

I was thinking a pair of Jordan 1's might be alright? (pretty flat, durable), or maybe even the Onitsuka tigers?
Anyone recommend the flyknit frees? I keep seeing the 3.0 crop up in conversation..

Price not an issue.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm after some alternative sneakers more specifically for squats, deadlifts in the gym.
I'm unable to wear socks/go barefoot in this gym.
I'm interested in alternatives to lift specific shoes like the vibrams, romaleos, adipure trainer, and something different to chucks.

I was thinking a pair of Jordan 1's might be alright? (pretty flat, durable), or maybe even the Onitsuka tigers?
Anyone recommend the flyknit frees? I keep seeing the 3.0 crop up in conversation..

Price not an issue.

Any help is appreciated!
You could try the Nike Metcons (Crossfit shoes).  

The flyknits do have the flat sole and are minimal but sometimes your feet can slide around on the sole which I don't like for lifting.

TBH I squat and deadlift in socks.

Last edited:
If you squat in socks, you need to learn how to lift...unless you don't care about strength and are just repping out 135 or something and calling it a day. If that's the case, keep doing your thing, playboi. To answer your question though, it depends on how you squat. If you're a beginner squatter, anything with good sole grip, no cushioning, and flat soles wil do.

There are some good, simple options. My personal favorites are the New Balance MX00 Minimus and the Saucony Hattori. Good ol' Chucks will also do.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess being a sneaker head I was just looking for something with a bit more style. I don't want to get into the lift specific shoes.

I trained in some Asics Tigers the other day and they felt OK, so maybe I'll just stick with those.

Surprised no one trains in Jordan 1's (flat, non compression sole).

Cheers

I enjoy working out in my 1s. Lace em up tightly for upper body workouts.

However, I strongly recommend the Nike Romaleos II for squats or cleans. They can be had for slightly over 100 on ebay. 

But for deadlifts... Chucks, as someone above stated. 

If you squat in socks, you need to learn how to lift...unless you don't care about strength and are just repping out 135 or something and calling it a day. If that's the case, keep doing your thing, playboi. To answer your question though, it depends on how you squat. If you're a beginner squatter, anything with good sole grip, no cushioning, and flat soles wil do.
There are numerous serious powerlifters and Olympic lifters (including the world record holder for the deadlift at over 1,000 lbs) who lift in socks, so I'm not sure who you're referring to, "playboi"... The idea behind deadlifting and squatting in socks is that there is no energy lost in the sole of the shoe, you allow your arch muscles to activate and not rely on insoles that can weaken your arches, and your toes can splay (which increases stability). It is obvious that you haven't spent time around real powerlifters if you truly believe the only people squatting and deading in socks are "repping out 135 or something."

Before you decide to respond, please take a minute to watch this video of the world record breaking deadlift I previously mentioned in SOCKS:

Now on to the original post... I personally like the Nike Flyknit Free 3.0s for leg day and deads since they are super comfortable and feel like socks, although the sole is a bit too cushioned for my taste. I recently got a pair of Nike Flyknit Hyperfeels and I like those a bit more and have been using them over the 3.0s lately for leg day/deads. They have good grip, but a decent amount of cushion (not nearly as much as the 3.0s, however).

If you're not fond of either of those choices, you could always try Metcons (although they are generally used by Crossfitters), or the new Nike Free Trainer 1.0s (http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/f...feet-training-shoe/pid-10341662/pgid-10341429), which supposedly are super grippy and have a 0 mm drop (completely flat), which is what you want in a deadlifting/squatting shoe. I haven't tried either of these, but they are both solid options, according to reviews.

I personally have never owned Jordans, so I can't attest to their performance in regards to lifting. Overall, you want a flat shoe (if you choose to bypass the OLY shoes like Romaleos with a raised but rigid heel) with good grip and as little cushioning as possible, as others have previously stated. Hope this helps!

What could possibly be wrong with squatting/deadlifting in socks?  It has nothing to do with weight.  In fact I often keep my shoes on for lower lifts but take them off when I'm attempting a max or PR.  It's the ultimate flat platform and keeps you completely stable.

And no, I do not max out at 135 pleiboi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom