So can we all finally agree.....

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Originally Posted by Moe Fab

MBDTF was just way more lyrical.

LOL.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I don't know how the hell people compare Kanye's lyrics from album to album.

It's like ranking these rappers in order: Soulja Boy, Kreayshawn, Plies, etc.

LOL.

His last verse on Gorgeous,1st verse on Dark Fantasy,2nd verse on DIAND, and of course his verse on So Apalled. It is more lyrical than WTT

Originally Posted by Cole World 22

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

I HATED Kanye for years, haven't been a fan of his since before College Dropout. MBDTF made me do a complete 180, still love that album. Will be his best album and one of my favorite albums period.

So Appalled >>> WTT (I said that after listening to it it's first week)

Do you mean Jay-Z's verse on "So Appalled" ?

I don't know how anyone could listen to anybody else spit on "So Appalled" after hearing Jay-Z.
I like everyone on it, Pusha, Kanye and even CyHi. "If God had an iPod I'd be on his playlist" 
laugh.gif

I HATED Kanye for years, haven't been a fan of his since before College Dropout. MBDTF made me do a complete 180, still love that album. Will be his best album and one of my favorite albums period.

So Appalled >>> WTT (I said that after listening to it it's first week)

Do you mean Jay-Z's verse on "So Appalled" ?

I don't know how anyone could listen to anybody else spit on "So Appalled" after hearing Jay-Z.
I like everyone on it, Pusha, Kanye and even CyHi. "If God had an iPod I'd be on his playlist" 
laugh.gif

I skip the rest of the song whenever I'm done playing Push's verse. CyHi's verse was weak to me.

I also might disagree with DK and Rolaholic for the first time because I thought the two albums were even lyrically. But that's just my take on them.

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

LOL.

His last verse on Gorgeous,1st verse on Dark Fantasy,2nd verse on DIAND, and of course his verse on So Apalled. It is more lyrical than WTT

My man said "and of course his verse on So Appalled" as if to say that was a highlight or how could any of us forget about that oh so memorable verse Kanye gave us.  Bless your heart.  Make no mistake about it champ, Kanye is tied with RZA for THE worst verse on So Appalled and even time your name is mentioned next to RZA as far as verses go that's never a good thing.  Also earlier I forgot to mention No Church in the Wild for WTT, which means the scale for WTT and MBDTF as far as lyrics or lyrical content, once again tips in favor of WTT leaving MBDTF high and dry.

This might be the first time I agree with deuce.

It should be the first of many champ, but we'll use this as a starting point
wink.gif
.  For everyone else in here, I got no problem with people saying MBDTF>WTT although I disagree or people liking MBDTF more, but I'm seeing some of the most ridiculous statements in this thread regarding MBDTF.  Such as "MBDTF is one of the greatest albums of all time in any genre", "MBDTF is the album that speaks for this generation" or "my first born child was created while listening to MBDTF".  These are some of the most weird and bizarre statements ever written here in the Music Forum by far.  These people need help and they need help immediately if not sooner.  

LOL.

My man said "and of course his verse on So Appalled" as if to say that was a highlight or how could any of us forget about that oh so memorable verse Kanye gave us.  Bless your heart.  Make no mistake about it champ, Kanye is tied with RZA for THE worst verse on So Appalled and even time your name is mentioned next to RZA as far as verses go that's never a good thing.  Also earlier I forgot to mention No Church in the Wild for WTT, which means the scale for WTT and MBDTF as far as lyrics or lyrical content, once again tips in favor of WTT leaving MBDTF high and dry.

I never said that it was the best verse on the album though
grin.gif
...Just that I almost left it off.
Give me some of your criteria when judging "lyrical content",I'm curious.

grin.gif
In regards to lyrical content, to me in no particular order that means wordplay, flow, lyrics with actual meaning or purpose behind them, something that's catchy or that a rapper gets the public to say (ex.....Kanye "that +%%# cray"), the build up and execution of words or concept either earlier on in a 16 or song from a rapper and then carried out later on in the 16 or song (ex........Welcome to the Jungle), rhymes that make you think, second guess or makes you want to rewind a track just because the verse was that nice or you want to make sure you didnt' miss something that was said, something that you catch in a song or rhyme weeks, months, or maybe even years down the road..  For me rhyming is not just the matching of words together just to make something sound good, there has to or should be a purpose behind it.  These is all subjective of course.  Others may feel differently or may want to add on. 

grin.gif
In regards to lyrical content, to me in no particular order that means wordplay, flow, lyrics with actual meaning or purpose behind them, something that's catchy or that a rapper gets the public to say (ex.....Kanye "that +%%# cray"), the build up and execution of words or concept either earlier on in a 16 or song from a rapper and then carried out later on in the 16 or song (ex........Welcome to the Jungle), rhymes that make you think, second guess or makes you want to rewind a track just because the verse was that nice or you want to make sure you didnt' miss something that was said, something that you catch in a song or rhyme weeks, months, or maybe even years down the road..  For me rhyming is not just the matching of words together just to make something sound good, there has to or should be a purpose behind it.  These is all subjective of course.  Others may feel differently or may want to add on. 

Well said.

My example that fits all of these criteria from WTT? Jay's verse on Who Gon Stop Me. For MBDTF I'd say Ye's second verse on Power.

Originally Posted by OneTrust

It's not that you are out of touch. Don't start thinking that you're abnormal.

You're like me. You don't subscribe to the "College Dropout Lifetime Pass." I'm here with you.
pimp.gif
You're definitely not "like" him.  You think College Dropout is "aiiigghhtt."  This guy, as well as every other person, says it's a classic.  You, on the other hand, think that J Cole fellow is dropping HipHop MASTERPIECES
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Yo seriously, +#%*. You're maddd annoying.

I've said College Dropout is a classic, but lyrically it's average.

You've said Game is a top 5 rapper.

I've said J. Cole is a top 5 rapper.

I win.

You saying homie is annoying is like the pot calling the kettle black

LOL.

"College Dropout Lifetime Pass."

And y'all be thinking I be making this *!%* up.

Terrible verse after terrible verse, year after year.

But he told them that leavin' college is the spin move...

wink.gif
.  For everyone else in here, I got no problem with people saying MBDTF>WTT although I disagree or people liking MBDTF more, but I'm seeing some of the most ridiculous statements in this thread regarding MBDTF.  Such as "MBDTF is one of the greatest albums of all time in any genre", "MBDTF is the album that speaks for this generation" or "my first born child was created while listening to MBDTF".  These are some of the most weird and bizarre statements ever written here in the Music Forum by far.  These people need help and they need help immediately if not sooner.  

Is this guy a troll?

When I say these things, I'm a troll.

But you summarized my points. This dude has these college dropouts so damn brainwashed. He makes very average music, but his Stans are forever loyal to him because he told them dropping out of college is perfectly acceptable.

The comments in this thread are further evidence that the "College Dropout Lifetime Pass" does indeed exist.

I Love Watch The Throne but MBDTF is phenomenal on so many levels. That @$@* is damn near flawless.

Too bad Jay-Z is on WTT.

He's the only person that stopped WTT from being the greatest album in the history of music.

Personally I'm surprised how well these two ended up as a duo. I loved the way they went back and forth the entire album. It was epic, especially because they were actually saying something.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'm still undecided right now so I'll say MBDTF=WTT

The bottom line is Kanye is 6/6 right now. He hasnt come out with a bad project yet. And with the God given creativity he has, I doubt he will.

Spoiler [+]
at you guys that hate on 808's and Heartbreak

Originally Posted by LoveOfTheGame916

Personally I'm surprised how well these two ended up as a duo. I loved the way they went back and forth the entire album. It was epic, especially because they were actually saying something.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The bottom line is Kanye is 6/6 right now. He hasnt come out with a bad project yet. And with the God given creativity "College Dropout Lifetime Pass" he has   , I doubt he will.

Spoiler [+]

Fixed.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The bottom line is Kanye is 6/6 right now. He hasnt come out with a bad project yet. And with the God given creativity "College Dropout Lifetime Pass" he has   , I doubt he will.

Spoiler [+]

Fixed.
Go back and listen to every album he's released front to back. You're trying to tell me that he's living off an album from 2004?

Idk why I'm even arguing with you.
alien.gif

grin.gif

Kanye West fans are THEE most delusional when it comes to "what's lyrical."

Let me give you two examples of Kanye's best display of something lyrical:

"And this one here, is a heat rock; spit like a beat-box; the way the beat rocks, new version of Pete Rock; but for that Benz I get CL love, so I switch my girls around like 3L-dub."

"Since they all fall in my Palm, I'll take a trio/Treo."

That's about as lyrical as Kanye West gets.

And no, punchlines aren't the only way to be lyrical.
The best lyricists incorporate nice rhyme schemes, nice punchline, AND actual content into their music. And by "content," I mean meaning.
I'm not saying EVERY track a rapper makes has to incorporate these 3 things... because that's impossible.
But the great rappers have multiple songs that incorporate all these things.
Kanye West doesn't do this. His best song ,"Through The Wire," was not very lyrical, but it was just a solid @!* song because of his experience, and of course the sample/beat.
Lyrically, dude is just wack.

"I'm so appalled, Spalding balled..."
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
You thought that was nice?

Those lines are
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
, but his lines like these are VERY FEW and VERY FAR BETWEEN.

And no, that's not the only

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The bottom line is Kanye is 6/6 right now. He hasnt come out with a bad project yet. And with the God given creativity he has, I doubt he will.

Spoiler [+]

This man knows 
glasses.gif

Both had dope production, but I'll take WTT due to the superior lyricism. Has more replay value to me cause of that.

Deuce King wrote:
wink.gif

nothing else even needs to be said...

Am I the only one that after listening to Watch the Throne and MBDTF find it hard to go back and listen to their older work? Almost anybodys older work with the exception of a few songs for that matter. Everything else just sounds so dated....

To Deuce, regarding his comments about the outlandish shh ppl are saying about MBDTF I've noticed the change but all differences aside, I honestly feel there's a lot more slightly younger dudes on here championing Kanye and that album. May still be in our generation but cut from a different cloth.

Back
Top Bottom