So How Tough is Law School Really?

I have heard mixed reviews about the difficulty of law school. I know higher end schools are tougher but I was curious to see what people think about the average law school
Anyone currently in law school or know anyone that is in one, please share your opinion.

I live with a guy who's about to graduate from UC Berkeley's law school. He says it's manageable and not that difficult but he spends hours at a time reading/studying every day. I get the feeling that if you're one of those guys who got through undergrad by opening your text once the night before midterms and once again right before finals, it's probably not for you.

I watched my wife go through 3 years of Law School. Three years of hell.

I start law school in the fall. I hear it's more tedious than undergrad. Overall, I think it's manageable if you are willing to put the effort into it.- Got some info from a current student who says it takes sacrifice, dedication, hard work and patience. But what doesn't really?

From what I hear it's tons of reading and studying. I know about three or four people that went through, most of them went to Alabama. I've toyed with the idea for years, took the Lsat last year even. At the end of the day, if you want to go then get the ball rolling now.

Why would anyone want to go into law these days?

The market is super saturated, its tough to make partner, and you have a super stressful job until you get REALLY established.

my sister goes to smu. she literally studies all day. she wakes up early and studies and after class she studies. shes lost like 20 pounds this year from the stress. in undergrad she was a genius. i law school shes average. shes jjust really wants to do it.

There are already too many lawyers. Less u get into a prestigious school w/ extremely high grades i wouldnt eem consider it

Didnt goto law school tho so whatta i kno

Originally Posted by paliplaya2010

my sister goes to smu. she literally studies all day. she wakes up early and studies and after class she studies. shes lost like 20 pounds this year from the stress. in undergrad she was a genius. i law school shes average. shes jjust really wants to do it.

wow 

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I get the feeling that if you're one of those guys who got through undergrad by opening your text once the night before midterms and once again right before finals, it's probably not for you.
**raises hand**

Originally Posted by jazz145

I have heard mixed reviews about the difficulty of law school. I know higher end schools are tougher but I was curious to see what people think about the average law school
Anyone currently in law school or know anyone that is in one, please share your opinion.
What specific type of law are you planning to study, though?

But, as every other poster said, it takes a lot of dedication and effort to do good in law school.  Thinking about getting into law school after I get my Master of Accountancy.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

I get the feeling that if you're one of those guys who got through undergrad by opening your text once the night before midterms and once again right before finals, it's probably not for you.
**raises hand**
I mean I can't front that was definitely me. 
laugh.gif

Now I'm thinking about business school but I don't trust my study habits. Like I have the ability, I breeze through course work but that's the problem.

My roommate is in law school and it is way harder than what I'm doing as a graduate student. Law school is just reading, reading and reading. They have to know case studies in and out. Plus in many of the classes you just have a mid term and a final no other assignments. Plus being graded on a curve is tough. By the end of their second year and throughout their third year it gets so ruthless because you are competing against fellow classmates for ranking. So people stop sharing study guides etc. If you are worried about getting a job after law school just like in undergrad make sure you network and do internships and if you go to a top 20 school and finish top 10 percent in your law class, you are guaranteed $150,000 + salary at any big firm. 

in regard to what Ham City stated, that's the type of student I was in undergrad. Hell, last year and a half of college I didn't even buy books!

I say all of that to say that I'll be graduating from law school in may of this year

If you want it bad enough, and are willing to deal with the crappy people, it can be a breeze, just like its been for me.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

**raises hand**
I mean I can't front that was definitely me. 
laugh.gif

Now I'm thinking about business school but I don't trust my study habits. Like I have the ability, I breeze through course work but that's the problem.
we in the same spot. but I really really want that masters for my major, so I'ma try it & see how it goes.

Read 1L by Scott Turow. Obviously dated but it's still a great book about his first year at Harvard Law. Synopsis: Hell.

if you can manage to get good case summaries, you can get away with studying the night/a few nights before exams.

Back
Top Bottom