So I lost my phone and a scheme dawns on me...

Originally Posted by MOSTHATED770

reported to the FBI
roll.gif

AceBoogie wrote:
The ESN on that phone will be blacklisted and will render the phone unable to be activated....

but!

since its your friends phone, he could claim its lost, get the replacement, then a week later say he found the phone and the number will be removed from the blacklist since the owner reclaimed the phone, and your set.

but you didn't read that from me and yes its insurance fraud. btw, a blackberry isn't even worth the risk, get a iphone or an android.

Wouldn't the carrier then just ask for the replacment phone to be returned? Or wouldnt they just charge him for it?
I thought about doing this a while ago but my friend wasnt down for it.

wont work. once u report phone lost its pretty much dead. :/
tried it with a chocolat wit verizon and the old one wouldnt activate

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

wouldnt the BB pin number basically keep you from being able to do this?
yea you wouldnt be able to use BBM/pin at all. so if you got a blackberry plan your out of luck but you can still make calls.

Originally Posted by trunks206

AceBoogie wrote:
The ESN on that phone will be blacklisted and will render the phone unable to be activated....

but!

since its your friends phone, he could claim its lost, get the replacement, then a week later say he found the phone and the number will be removed from the blacklist since the owner reclaimed the phone, and your set.

but you didn't read that from me and yes its insurance fraud. btw, a blackberry isn't even worth the risk, get a iphone or an android.

Wouldn't the carrier then just ask for the replacment phone to be returned? Or wouldnt they just charge him for it?
I thought about doing this a while ago but my friend wasnt down for it.

well for verizon at least, asurion provides the insurance for your phone and they are a completely separate company from verizon.

there's a limit to how many claims you can make within a calendar year, but you don't have to return a replacement if you happen to find your old phone at a later date.

i've legitimately lost a phone that was on silent, got a replacement, found it in the couch six months later and gave it my sister. Verizon contacted me saying my someone was trying to activate my old phone, and i told them go ahead since i gave permission.

unknowingly, all of that came together//// knowingly trying to beat the system is unlawful, and pretty much an admission of guilt if for some reason it ever comes back on you. again, i don't support insurance fraud, just giving the logistics.

All insurance is just out there to get money, so go ahead and fraud them

(yes I know all companies want money...)

Congratulations on being the very first person ever to conceive an idea like this, let us know how it turns out!

since you don't have insurance...you can put insurance on your phone now, then file a claim when you can... that way its not really fraud, I've done that many times. and since your verizon and CDMA I don't know if your current plan will work, but I have done that for AT&T with a razr, i reported it lost, and sold it while getting a new one from them.

Originally Posted by J23S

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Can't do this with verizon or sprint
I beg to differ
devil.gif
I used to get it through with sprint
once with a customer care rep
and twice with someone my employee knew on the inside, but dude charged $50 each phone
eyes.gif
eyes.gif

I dont think OP will figure it out tho.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GeNeRaTiOnZ

The only thing you need to worry about is them locking the ESN on the reported stolen bb. If you got a hook up or slip dude at the counter a 20, I'm sure he can clean the ESN for use. Not 100% sure this is how it works.
This...we found a samsung instinct at a store and the owner claimed it stolen but since we know a guy @ sprint he "looked the other way" and put it on my sisters line

Originally Posted by dano4o8

I'm pretty sure Verizon will block the stolen phone's ESN from getting reactivated again
this. Once a phone is reported LOST or STOLEN, they cant be reactivated. The only thing you can do with them is flash them to another service like Metro PCS, assuming the phone was CDMA (sprint, verizon, alltell) to begin with

They deactivate the old phones ESN number. That way it becomes useless.
You could get a new ESN number but your going to have to find someone to do that for you. I've done it with Metro PCS.

KingofIlladelph:
I lost my blackberry yesterday and I do not have insurance. I am not eligible for a new phone til August.

My friend has the exact same blackberry and he does have insurance.

-lightbulb-

I come up with this idea that my friend reports his phone stolen, he gets a new phone, and I take his old phone, get it activated and make it my own.
niketalk

I say you do it people steal phones and sell them all of the time. Risk is only a game if you decide to play.

*500th Post!

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Congratulations on being the very first person ever to conceive an idea like this, let us know how it turns out!

You are the first person to think of this. What other million dollar ideas do you have floating around in that massive brain of yours?

I apologize to my sensitive friends who think when I say I "came up" with the idea that I was some kind of innovator.  I merely meant that it dawned on me that this was an option.  Because if I was actually the first person to come up with the idea, I wouldn't have asked if anybody had done it before.  And yes, I do have a lot of million dollar ideas.  One involves your sister...but she isn't that flexible...

But to the point, my friend at Verizon said that he could make this happen.  We'll see what he does.

Back
Top Bottom