So Tim Donaghy wrote a book and the NBA squashed it? Am I late?

Deadspin apparently snaked a copy...

The Book The NBA Doesn't Want You To Read

We've obtained a copy of Tim Donaghy's book, Blowing the Whistle, which purports to expose the NBA's "culture of fraud" and which Random House was set to publish next month - until, a source says, the league threatened to sue.

The book is the former referee's account of his time in the NBA and the events that led to his conviction, in 2007, on charges that he relayed inside information on NBA games - including several that he was working - to a professional gambler. Blowing the Whistle falls somewhere between a confessional and an indictment, both of his former colleagues and their employer. In the book, Donaghy alleges, among other things, that referee %%+* Bavetta spoke unabashedly about his role as the NBA's "go-to guy."

Donaghy cites Game 6 of the notorious 2002 Western Conference finals, between the Lakers and the Kings - a game that NBA conspiracy theorists still talk about as if it were basketball's grassy knoll. Donaghy, who was not assigned to the game, reports that Bavetta "openly talked about the fact that the league wanted a Game 7." We'll have excerpts later today.

Donaghy is currently in a federal detention center near Tampa, a week away from his release. About 10 months ago, he shopped the book to Triumph Books, an imprint of Random House, according to a source close to Donaghy. Triumph, the source says, "put forth a huge effort to verify every statement in that book." (Triumph's editorial director, Tom Bast, declined to comment.) Two weeks ago, Blowing the Whistle was ready for printing; 60 Minutes had plans to interview Donaghy in conjunction with the book's publication. Then the NBA came calling. "They came after Random House and threatened a lawsuit," the source says, "and Random House just rolled and decided to not go with it. It's really that simple." To his knowledge, no one at the NBA had actually read the book.

"Which is why," he goes on, "Triumph was so intrigued as to why the parent company decided to not go with it. Because there was no logical reasoning other than an open threat. It just doesn't make sense. If they had come down and said, 'There are some specific things that are flat-out lies or they're wrong and we think there are fabrications or something,' then there'd be some basis to say, 'OK, we need to back up and double-check this.' But this was just an open comment. And so we don't know what the specific basis of that potential suit might've been."

The book no longer has an Amazon page; it's cached here. Meanwhile, Donaghy is looking for another publisher. He may even self-publish. "It's dead right now," the source says. "The whole thing has fallen flat on its face. ... Obviously, the NBA has got some people running scared."
I'd cop.
nerd.gif

Kings fans gonna come gushin in here so I'll stop them real quick.

The NBA wanted a game 7, so they threw game 5 to you guys, and threw game 6 to us. Then we won game 7.

Have a nice day.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

The NBA wanted a game 7, so they threw game 5 to you guys, and threw game 6 to us. Then we won game 7.

Have a nice day.
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Have a nice day.
pimp.gif
Yup.

pimp.gif

Have a nice day.
pimp.gif

took the words right out of my mouth.

Waits for all the Laker fans to start talking about Kings fans
nerd.gif

It's obviously laden with lies, because like the article says, a threat to sue means nothing if truth is being told.

If I'm telling the truth about you and you threaten to sue me, I'm not scared at all; I'd still continue on with my story, knowing you can't doanything.

If I'm lying about you and you threaten to sue, I'd back off, because it's illegal for me to just scream lies about you from the highestmountaintops.

So the fact that Random House aborted publishing just because the NBA threatened to sue means something is fishy.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

It's obviously laden with lies, because like the article says, a threat to sue means nothing if truth is being told.

If I'm telling the truth about you and you threaten to sue me, I'm not scared at all; I'd still continue on with my story, knowing you can't do anything.

If I'm lying about you and you threaten to sue, I'd back off, because it's illegal for me to just scream lies about you from the highest mountaintops.

So the fact that Random House aborted publishing just because the NBA threatened to sue means something is fishy.
To me it means that Random House doesn't want to get involved with it because the possibility of lies, but the fact that Donaghy himself stillis moving forward that tells me he's confident that they don't have a case against him.

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

If I'm telling the truth about you and you threaten to sue me, I'm not scared at all; I'd still continue on with my story, knowing you can't do anything.

If I'm lying about you and you threaten to sue, I'd back off, because it's illegal for me to just scream lies about you from the highest mountaintops.

To me it means that Random House doesn't want to get involved with it because the possibility of lies, but the fact that Donaghy himself still is moving forward that tells me he's confident that they don't have a case against him.
Even if the NBA sues and say $%+@ Bavetta is called to testify over his "account" in the book you really think he is going to side withDonaghy. They problem that Donaghy will have is getting people besides himself to back up his claims in the book if he gets sued.

The NBA threatened to sue in my opinion because they dont want to get exposed and dont want the Donaghy issue to be the main part of the beginning of theseason

dude the legal process is expensive...

the company doesn't want to pay the necessary legal fees to fight the case. you can sue someone over anything, even if you know you will lose. It'stime consuming and money consuming, and if the publisher won the case the profit margin after the case might be razor thin or even a loss.

See, I don't get what he's saying about 2000 game 7. We didn't win that game on free throws AT ALL. The Blazers missed 50 million shots and wekept hitting in the fourth.

The ONLY questionable call in the game was after the Lakers already had taken the lead and with a minute left and the Blazers desperate they sent Steve Smithto the hole and he got hit by Shaq. That was the only bad call or even remotely close call in that whole quarter. So how is that a ref inspired game? What,they were calling all the fouls in the first quarter but it wasn't working? They must really be bad at their jobs then.
laugh.gif

His stories are so believable....I have always suspected this type of stuff....lol@Bavetta paying a woman to write down any time the announcers said his name.

If any of that Stuff on Bavetta is true... look out NBA. Waiting for the Kings and Blazers fans to chime in. smh @ this dude. I want to read this book now.

Not a big shock to me: Bavetta or Salvatore are on any game where big market teams can extend a series or a big market team is facing elimination.

Tommy Nunez

thumb160x_nunez.jpg

My favorite Tommy Nunez story is from the 2007 playoffs when the San Antonio Spurs were able to get past the Phoenix Suns in the second round. Of course, what many fans didn't know was that Phoenix had someone working against them behind the scenes. Nunez was the group supervisor for that playoff series, and he definitely had a rooting interest.

Nunez loved the Hispanic community in San Antonio and had a lot of friends there. He had been a referee for 30 years and loved being on the road; in fact, he said that the whole reason he had become a group supervisor was to keep getting out of the house. So Nunez wanted to come back to San Antonio for the conference finals. Plus, he, like many other referees, disliked Suns owner Robert Sarver for the way he treated officials. Both of these things came into play when he prepared the referees for the games in the staff meetings. I remember laughing with him and saying, "You would love to keep coming back here." He was pointing out everything that Phoenix was able to get away with and never once told us to look for anything in regard to San Antonio. Nunez should have a championship ring on his finger.

Leave the Spurs out of your lies Tim Donaghy...
smh.gif

^ That reminds me: I love how the fans who talk about all of this conspiracy talk mainly focus on the Lakers.
laugh.gif
Obviously, if the refs were trying to fixgames, there were plenty of games... but the focus is mainly on the Lakers.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DubA169

dude the legal process is expensive...

the company doesn't want to pay the necessary legal fees to fight the case. you can sue someone over anything, even if you know you will lose. It's time consuming and money consuming, and if the publisher won the case the profit margin after the case might be razor thin or even a loss.
Exactly.

Random House probably ran the numbers and it occurred to them that it wasn't even worth expending the capital in the first place to publish the book.Profit margins on hard copy books are extremely thin nowadays.
Big time money is accompanied by big time corruption. Always.

It's %!*+!@@ grown men playing a game for absurd amounts of money. I don't even mind them rigging ####. Honestly.
laugh.gif

Donaghy's claims sound a tad absurd
laugh.gif
"Top of theirprofession" professional refs getting so bored they make pregame bets and disregard everything else to win a couple bucks?
laugh.gif

But I've learned enough over the years to not be surprised by anything in pro sports. I also have learned the snitcher, no matter how dirty and lacking anycharacter whatsoever, it's often the one telling the truth. Personally I hope the media runs with this so perhaps we can get more info or comments.TMZ ESPN you know would be the one to.......however we have seen what they cover when it involves business partners. Things get swept underthe rug and it would not surprise me one bit to see Stern placing a call to Bristol yesterday.

Amazing.....Deadspin has enough text from the book that you would think this story would be running wild right now.....yet here we are a full day later andESPN's small headline about the story isnt the scandalous accusations......it's hiding that part and instead simply going with "Donaghy's bookon NBA cancelled."
eyes.gif

It's too bad Pacman Jones or T.O. didnt write it huh.

Back
Top Bottom