So who else is sending their child to a private school? VOL. "I value education."

I'll weigh all the options when the time comes.

Financially, it's a major commitment....but quality of education is something that you shouldn't compromise. Now, if you live in an area where the public schools (or school in your zone) are strong, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with sending them there.

I did both public and private when growing up, and I did much better in a private setting.

Financially, it's a major commitment....but quality of education is something that you shouldn't compromise. Now, if you live in an area where the public schools (or school in your zone) are strong, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with sending them there.

I did both public and private when growing up, and I did much better in a private setting.

I went to private school...the kids snorted coke and did E instead of just smoking weed like normal people

I went to private school...the kids snorted coke and did E instead of just smoking weed like normal people

Originally Posted by moneymike88

Right...because kids don't do coke/E in public schools. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Do you feel that you were better prepared for college and moved at a more accelerated rate?  I totally agree that education should not be compromised at all.  I remember a professor telling me that education is the only thing we are willing to pay for, but not show up for it.  
laugh.gif

Do you feel that you were better prepared for college and moved at a more accelerated rate?  I totally agree that education should not be compromised at all.  I remember a professor telling me that education is the only thing we are willing to pay for, but not show up for it.  
laugh.gif

I bought my house with school district in mind although I have no kids just yet.

When the time comes, if the school district has declined significantly it would be something I would consider.

I would really like my kids to attend the public school though, growing up the private school kids had no connection to the other neighborhood kids

I bought my house with school district in mind although I have no kids just yet.

When the time comes, if the school district has declined significantly it would be something I would consider.

I would really like my kids to attend the public school though, growing up the private school kids had no connection to the other neighborhood kids

Public school for my kids. Like SIZE TENS said, you should factor school district in to where you live, if you plan on having kids.

Public school for my kids. Like SIZE TENS said, you should factor school district in to where you live, if you plan on having kids.

I went to both, only advantage at the private school was they were better at sports because they went out recruiting players.
If I'm still here they can go to the public schools

I went to both, only advantage at the private school was they were better at sports because they went out recruiting players.
If I'm still here they can go to the public schools

depends...a charter more than likely though since they are popping up all over dc and la

depends...a charter more than likely though since they are popping up all over dc and la

Not in Brooklyn

Not in Brooklyn

we'll see what my finances are looking like, ideally i don't wanna have a kid until i'm stable but as we all know so well, @$#$ happens.

we'll see what my finances are looking like, ideally i don't wanna have a kid until i'm stable but as we all know so well, @$#$ happens.

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

laugh.gif
Absolutely!  The adjustment from HS (private) to college was easy on both an academic and social level.  You push yourself so hard in high school and when you get to college, your study habits carry over.  There were aspects of college that weren't nearly as rigorous as what it was for me in HS. 

My girl teaches 1st grade in a GREAT school district.  However, she's by herself with about 25-27 kids.  And these are kids of all different abilities (English/non-English speakers, slight autism, emotional/social/behavioral problems, gifted, etc).  Again, she's by herself.  Some kids get the short end of the stick because a lot of her time is devoted to the kids in the class who need the most attention.  She's an amazing teacher, but this is the reality in many pubic schools across the nation (large class sizes).  Not to mention the pressure of teaching towards standardized tests and trying to reach benchmarks w. scores. 

For some of the reasons I listed above is why I'm going to really weigh my options when the time comes to pick between public or private.  Like I said, quality of education is something you can't compromise. 

Back
Top Bottom