So who else is sending their child to a private school? VOL. "I value education."

really though education starts at home. as a parent as long as you are active and nurturing in your childs education they will be fine...in any school.

i believe this plays a major role in why public schools are failing. parents arent active in their childs school life at home. as a tutor i understand it can be frustrating to help kids because learning styles and teaching techniques are consistently evolving but if you want your child to excel, you have to go the extra mile.

really though education starts at home. as a parent as long as you are active and nurturing in your childs education they will be fine...in any school.

i believe this plays a major role in why public schools are failing. parents arent active in their childs school life at home. as a tutor i understand it can be frustrating to help kids because learning styles and teaching techniques are consistently evolving but if you want your child to excel, you have to go the extra mile.

Originally Posted by yankeesking92

I personally went to a public school and I was way to over prepared for college. I actually find high school harder and a much bigger workload than college. You have kids in college complaining about doing a 6 page research paper
30t6p3b.gif

Not all undergrads are created equal, the workload at certain undergrads are laughable at best.

Originally Posted by yankeesking92

I personally went to a public school and I was way to over prepared for college. I actually find high school harder and a much bigger workload than college. You have kids in college complaining about doing a 6 page research paper
30t6p3b.gif

Not all undergrads are created equal, the workload at certain undergrads are laughable at best.

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

I don't care where I live in the country, my kid is goin' to private school back home (DC)...

...Gonzaga ('99 beeyotch!!!), Sidwell, St. Albans, GDS, Maret, Visitation, NCS, and even Carroll - we have the best private schools in the nation.

And if you take it to the suburbs, you've got G-town Prep, Landon, Bullis, Dematha, Langley, Ireton, Paul VI, etc...

...I don't know about other regions, but DC area private schools are a clique - no matter what school you go/went to, it's only like 3 degrees of separation at the most - unless you're a loser, everybody knows everybody.
You don't realize how much that comes in handy until about a decade after you've graduated..,
Truth. I went to GW and in my senior year poetry class (had to take my final elective), like 5 people were from Sidwell, Georgetown Prep and one other. They were all talking to each about people they knew and all the great colleges all the people from their HS ended up at. I was like I'm from Columbia and they hit me with the
indifferent.gif
. I felt left out
laugh.gif
. That whole list of schools you mentioned offer so many more opportunities then even the best public schools in MD (Howard County) but I do agree that the individual student plays a large part. They can excel just about anywhere with proper parenting and motivation.

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

I don't care where I live in the country, my kid is goin' to private school back home (DC)...

...Gonzaga ('99 beeyotch!!!), Sidwell, St. Albans, GDS, Maret, Visitation, NCS, and even Carroll - we have the best private schools in the nation.

And if you take it to the suburbs, you've got G-town Prep, Landon, Bullis, Dematha, Langley, Ireton, Paul VI, etc...

...I don't know about other regions, but DC area private schools are a clique - no matter what school you go/went to, it's only like 3 degrees of separation at the most - unless you're a loser, everybody knows everybody.
You don't realize how much that comes in handy until about a decade after you've graduated..,
Truth. I went to GW and in my senior year poetry class (had to take my final elective), like 5 people were from Sidwell, Georgetown Prep and one other. They were all talking to each about people they knew and all the great colleges all the people from their HS ended up at. I was like I'm from Columbia and they hit me with the
indifferent.gif
. I felt left out
laugh.gif
. That whole list of schools you mentioned offer so many more opportunities then even the best public schools in MD (Howard County) but I do agree that the individual student plays a large part. They can excel just about anywhere with proper parenting and motivation.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Private schools have no benefit. I know just as many losers who went to private schools.

you can say the same about public....

you'll have losers in private....you'll have losers in public

To say they have no benefit is moronic. 

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Private schools have no benefit. I know just as many losers who went to private schools.

you can say the same about public....

you'll have losers in private....you'll have losers in public

To say they have no benefit is moronic. 

Been going to private school all my life, loved it and it worked out for me just fine. Originally my parents moved to this neighborhood the public school district, well they felt it had become eh, it was experiences some downs due to changed and what not (its currently among the best in the nation). For K-8th grade, each grade had about 50-60 kids, split up into two homeroom sections, K-1, K-2 etc. Mostly white kids but there was some diversity, over the year the school has grown and become more diverse. I really enjoyed my time their, the teachers were really hands on.

I went to St. Marys HS, which was next to the elementary school. There's about 200+ students per grade. I never really experienced any culture shock, even in college. It's most likely due to being in NY, a lot of kids from my hs were from Queens and other parts of the city. I've have friends/family in public school some older than me too, etc. This school is also very hands on.

There are kids who got kicked out, did no better in public school, did even worse.

I remember during the college process a few adults had told me that private school students had slightly better chances of getting in.

But overall I think there are number of factors, I know many kids who went to other private schools but lived in an area where they had neighboring kids their age, allowing them to live a normal social life.

Ideally my parents wanted my sibling and I to go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_High_School but that was the next town over and they couldn't find a house or switch school districts. My has told me that if we lived in that district, I would have never gone to private school because it would be a waste of money.

I had a friend who here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regis_high_school despite being among the best of schools, we live in LI and a lot of his friends lived in the city, that really hindered his social life. Especially due to the fact that you lose friends that you went to elementary/middle school with when you go to high school.

As stated before, I will buy a house in a district depending on the school system, among other factors and then take it from there. After a certain age, what your child wants is also a factor.

But some of the prices for these schools is wild, North Shore Day School, tuition was $10,000 a few years back
30t6p3b.gif

Been going to private school all my life, loved it and it worked out for me just fine. Originally my parents moved to this neighborhood the public school district, well they felt it had become eh, it was experiences some downs due to changed and what not (its currently among the best in the nation). For K-8th grade, each grade had about 50-60 kids, split up into two homeroom sections, K-1, K-2 etc. Mostly white kids but there was some diversity, over the year the school has grown and become more diverse. I really enjoyed my time their, the teachers were really hands on.

I went to St. Marys HS, which was next to the elementary school. There's about 200+ students per grade. I never really experienced any culture shock, even in college. It's most likely due to being in NY, a lot of kids from my hs were from Queens and other parts of the city. I've have friends/family in public school some older than me too, etc. This school is also very hands on.

There are kids who got kicked out, did no better in public school, did even worse.

I remember during the college process a few adults had told me that private school students had slightly better chances of getting in.

But overall I think there are number of factors, I know many kids who went to other private schools but lived in an area where they had neighboring kids their age, allowing them to live a normal social life.

Ideally my parents wanted my sibling and I to go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_High_School but that was the next town over and they couldn't find a house or switch school districts. My has told me that if we lived in that district, I would have never gone to private school because it would be a waste of money.

I had a friend who here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regis_high_school despite being among the best of schools, we live in LI and a lot of his friends lived in the city, that really hindered his social life. Especially due to the fact that you lose friends that you went to elementary/middle school with when you go to high school.

As stated before, I will buy a house in a district depending on the school system, among other factors and then take it from there. After a certain age, what your child wants is also a factor.

But some of the prices for these schools is wild, North Shore Day School, tuition was $10,000 a few years back
30t6p3b.gif

There are a lot of great public schools. I think it really depends on the community - I attend a good high school and it's because I live in a rich, predominately white town. However, I can see how others might not "fit in" in such a society, I don't feel like I fit in but I feel comfortable. A school is a product of its environment - the better schools are usually the ones in the richer towns/neighborhoods.

Stuyvesant High in New York is a public school and one of the top high schools in the country. Public vs Private is too general cause both have good and bad schools.

There are a lot of great public schools. I think it really depends on the community - I attend a good high school and it's because I live in a rich, predominately white town. However, I can see how others might not "fit in" in such a society, I don't feel like I fit in but I feel comfortable. A school is a product of its environment - the better schools are usually the ones in the richer towns/neighborhoods.

Stuyvesant High in New York is a public school and one of the top high schools in the country. Public vs Private is too general cause both have good and bad schools.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

I'll weigh all the options when the time comes.

Financially, it's a major commitment....but quality of education is something that you shouldn't compromise. Now, if you live in an area where the public schools (or school in your zone) are strong, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with sending them there.

I did both public and private when growing up, and I did much better in a private setting.
Do you feel that you were better prepared for college and moved at a more accelerated rate?  I totally agree that education should not be compromised at all.  I remember a professor telling me that education is the only thing we are willing to pay for, but not show up for it.  
laugh.gif
Absolutely!  The adjustment from HS (private) to college was easy on both an academic and social level.  You push yourself so hard in high school and when you get to college, your study habits carry over.  There were aspects of college that weren't nearly as rigorous as what it was for me in HS. 

My girl teaches 1st grade in a GREAT school district.  However, she's by herself with about 25-27 kids.  And these are kids of all different abilities (English/non-English speakers, slight autism, emotional/social/behavioral problems, gifted, etc).  Again, she's by herself.  Some kids get the short end of the stick because a lot of her time is devoted to the kids in the class who need the most attention.  She's an amazing teacher, but this is the reality in many pubic schools across the nation (large class sizes).  Not to mention the pressure of teaching towards standardized tests and trying to reach benchmarks w. scores. 

For some of the reasons I listed above is why I'm going to really weigh my options when the time comes to pick between public or private.  Like I said, quality of education is something you can't compromise. 
now a days, this is all the teachers teach for.
thytkerjobs wrote:
I want to, but only k5-8th grade. I'm glad I switched to public for HS, otherwise college would have been a huge culture shock. I had class with the same 26 people from 5-8th grade.

I went to a K-8 bilingual school. There was a little less than 60 students per grade

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

I'll weigh all the options when the time comes.

Financially, it's a major commitment....but quality of education is something that you shouldn't compromise. Now, if you live in an area where the public schools (or school in your zone) are strong, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with sending them there.

I did both public and private when growing up, and I did much better in a private setting.
Do you feel that you were better prepared for college and moved at a more accelerated rate?  I totally agree that education should not be compromised at all.  I remember a professor telling me that education is the only thing we are willing to pay for, but not show up for it.  
laugh.gif
Absolutely!  The adjustment from HS (private) to college was easy on both an academic and social level.  You push yourself so hard in high school and when you get to college, your study habits carry over.  There were aspects of college that weren't nearly as rigorous as what it was for me in HS. 

My girl teaches 1st grade in a GREAT school district.  However, she's by herself with about 25-27 kids.  And these are kids of all different abilities (English/non-English speakers, slight autism, emotional/social/behavioral problems, gifted, etc).  Again, she's by herself.  Some kids get the short end of the stick because a lot of her time is devoted to the kids in the class who need the most attention.  She's an amazing teacher, but this is the reality in many pubic schools across the nation (large class sizes).  Not to mention the pressure of teaching towards standardized tests and trying to reach benchmarks w. scores. 

For some of the reasons I listed above is why I'm going to really weigh my options when the time comes to pick between public or private.  Like I said, quality of education is something you can't compromise. 
now a days, this is all the teachers teach for.
thytkerjobs wrote:
I want to, but only k5-8th grade. I'm glad I switched to public for HS, otherwise college would have been a huge culture shock. I had class with the same 26 people from 5-8th grade.

I went to a K-8 bilingual school. There was a little less than 60 students per grade

I want my kids to go to public schools because I went to public and I am biased.

All the kids I know that went to private schools went to college. However, a good majority of the public school kids went to college as well. Some went to the military and some either went right to working or became a loser.

I just feel that in public schools you get in where you fit in and you are exposed to everything socially. Private schools seem like there is always a lot of drama, a lot of favoritism for certain families. The athletic teams are already decided before the tryouts. Private schools may offer educational advantages, but I don't think that warrants the price of most of these schools. I'd rather my kids be well rounded people than smart-%$$*%.

I want my kids to go to public schools because I went to public and I am biased.

All the kids I know that went to private schools went to college. However, a good majority of the public school kids went to college as well. Some went to the military and some either went right to working or became a loser.

I just feel that in public schools you get in where you fit in and you are exposed to everything socially. Private schools seem like there is always a lot of drama, a lot of favoritism for certain families. The athletic teams are already decided before the tryouts. Private schools may offer educational advantages, but I don't think that warrants the price of most of these schools. I'd rather my kids be well rounded people than smart-%$$*%.

i suggest you guys should watch "Waiting For Superman". The documentary goes into depth about public schools. Informative film...........Myself i went to a private school from K-6, then to a public. After private school, i loved going to a public school. 

i suggest you guys should watch "Waiting For Superman". The documentary goes into depth about public schools. Informative film...........Myself i went to a private school from K-6, then to a public. After private school, i loved going to a public school. 

Back
Top Bottom