So Who Killed R&B?

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by 03silverbullet

i'm not in the industry, but i put my blame on the industry.
I love it when people say this.

So the listener/consumer is a just a helpless puppet to whatever the "industry" decides it wants to sell them?

You're giving the "industry" too much credit and you're not giving yourselves any.

At this point, the "industry" is adapting to what you want more than it's dictating.

Thank you! Finally someone with a brain. As if the industry picks based on the industries preference
laugh.gif

imo

old school R&B>todays R&B

dont get me wrong i do enjoy some of them today but the old school were the best
pimp.gif

how i forget to add these on my list of one of the best

boyz 2 men
kc and jojo

these next ppl had some good songs

tyrese had some good song also
ruff endz
profyle
joe

Originally Posted by LA KB24

kc and jojo

Whenever I think of the crack head & his brother, I think of In Living Color's Cephus & Reesie. Those dudes are some over singing somebodies....They hurt my ears when they sing...

he said it not me
laugh.gif

As long as he can sing he still has a chance. His albums just get handled poorly. That's Mario's problem. 

Its a generation shift and an identity crisis. From what I've seen from youtube and singing shows and what not, most of the truly great upcoming RnB singers are gay, and I'm talking about guys that could sing the phone book from a to z sing. Most of the swaggering guys, with actual stage presence and charisma that would've ended up singing RnB are now rappers or hybrid rappers.

While in the past a guy like Joe who could simply blow, but lacked any type of big time presence would still sell, that simply isn't true today, and I would put Mario in that category, even though Mario does seem like he can be charismatic.

Besides gospel is selling and the person that posted the love quote hit the nail on its head, but if women demanded to be sung love songs instead of I beat the @+%#@ up, up up up .... loves songs would be heard

house music from european countries killed it.everything seems to evolve from dj machines, beats, and all stuffs that look like david guetta..

I hate to say it; I love Mario but I think he is finished

The Walls was a total bust as a single...how many times can you go back to the drawing board?

Go! would have been pretty big if I didn't have it for a year and half

Originally Posted by HelloHipHop4000

i'm not in the industry, but i put my blame on the industry.

So the listener/consumer is a just a helpless puppet to whatever the "industry" decides it wants to sell them?

You're giving the "industry" too much credit and you're not giving yourselves any.

At this point, the "industry" is adapting to what you want more than it's dictating.

Thank you! Finally someone with a brain. As if the industry picks based on the industries preference
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
finally someone with a brain, how ironic?  i wish i were wise like you and believe knew that we as consumers have equal (if not greater) control over what is pushed on us.  the nerve of me thinking the industry killed off R&B when in fact, we as fans just stopped buying/listening to it and moved on to hiphop and pop. 

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I hate to say it; I love Mario but I think he is finished

The Walls was a total bust as a single...how many times can you go back to the drawing board?

Go! would have been pretty big if I didn't have it for a year and half

Walls was cool...it wasnt no banger or anything per say ...but it was good for him to just have something out and something smooth.

It's clearly persona...cuz aint nothing wrong with his material. U give his material to Songz or Chris and all sudden these songs are bangers
30t6p3b.gif

Ladies First (and Overflow) is a banger... If that dont do nothing I @%!!#+@ quit
roll.gif

This hit my iPhone while on shuffle mode this morning while completing some reports & I had to repeat it. They don't make R&B like this. There are a few artists now (Prince, D'Angelo, early Maxwell). There is so much emotion in way Marvin is singing in this song & he doesn't have to get his point across with those silly vocal rolls that alot of these young cats feel they need to do.

D.N.A. was very weak, so was his CD before. Mario will have 3-4 great songs and then the rest will be ehh or trash

Originally Posted by HelloHipHop4000

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
finally someone with a brain, how ironic?  i wish i were wise like you and believe knew that we as consumers have equal (if not greater) control over what is pushed on us.  the nerve of me thinking the industry killed off R&B when in fact, we as fans just stopped buying/listening to it and moved on to hiphop and pop. 
You don't have control over what's pushed around you? The consumer, based on what they buy and what they don't, and what they consume (on Youtube etc.) has no say? 
You sound so helpless, it's ridiculous. Yes, you sound "brainless" for lack of a better term. 

Look around you son. It isn't 1990 anymore. 

The gatekeepers are no more. Artists like Drake, Cudi, The Weeknd, Odd Future (including Frank Ocean) have done very well for themselves on their own. 

To the point where the majors had to go to them. 

Dude, I kind of played what I would say is a significant part in the boom of Dance Music in America. At an indie label. The majors didn't care about it. They weren't pushing it on people. 

It exploded because the PEOPLE wanted it. Because they were buying it with NO RADIO PLAY. deadmau5? You heard of him? I bet you ain't heard him on no radio though. 

So who's "pushing" that? No one. That is natural, organic passion. Have the majors bastardized it now? Sure. But did they popularize it? HELL NO. 

That heartfelt sentiment in R+B music that everyone so desires or feels is lacking is kind of a reflection of our society as a whole. 

But that is too deep of a discussion for this thread. And requires too much typing. 

Back
Top Bottom