So why exactly did Rashard Lewis agree to buy out?

He was owed over 20 mill guaranteed, but he agreed to 10 mill buyout from New Orleans and signed with Miami for 1.35 mill
20 mill >>>> 11.35 millAm I missing something?

Originally Posted by Lizaker4Lizife

He was owed over 20 mill guaranteed, but he agreed to 10 mill buyout from New Orleans and signed with Miami for 1.35 mill
20 mill >>>> 11.35 millAm I missing something?

He's made $117 million in salary in his career.
He wants a ring?

So he could pick the team he goes to, and has a chance to ******** for a championship. If he got amnestied, he would get all his money but he'd have to go to the highest bidder. If he got waived, he'd go to the team with the worst record.

110mil over the last 6 yrs minus that ~9mil he's "giving up" isn't exactly going to affect his lifestyle any. I'm sure having a chance to win a title is worth it compared to playing for the Hornets or another lottery team

Giving up 9 mill for a ring is stupid IMO, if you don't need it give it to starving children or something

To this day, I'm still can't fathom why he was ever worth that much in the first damn place
30t6p3b.gif

He didn't agree to anything. The 6th year of his deal was only partially guranteed. It was a prearranged buyout already written into his contract.

First, your numbers are wrong.
Lewis was entering the final year of a $118 million, six-year contract, which included a $13.7 million buyout provision for the last year of the deal.

Second.. read that first part again. This was the final year of a massive contract.. he probably won't miss the money.

[table][tr][th=""]Season[/th][th=""]Team[/th][th=""]Lg[/th][th=""]Salary[/th][/tr][tr][td]1998-99[/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$287,500[/td][/tr][tr][td]1999-00[/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$385,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]2000-01[/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$3,920,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]2001-02[/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$4,413,375[/td][/tr][tr][td]2002-03[/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$6,233,766[/td][/tr][tr][td]2003-04[/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$7,012,987[/td][/tr][tr][td]2004-05[/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$7,792,208[/td][/tr][tr][td]2005-06[/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$8,571,429[/td][/tr][tr][td]2006-07[/td][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$9,350,649[/td][/tr][tr][td]2007-08[/td][td]Orlando Magic[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$14,880,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]2008-09[/td][td]Orlando Magic[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$16,447,871[/td][/tr][tr][td]2009-10[/td][td]Orlando Magic[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$18,876,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]2010-11[/td][td]Washington Wizards[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$19,573,711[/td][/tr][tr][td]2011-12[/td][td]Washington Wizards[/td][td]NBA[/td][td]$21,136,631[/td][/tr][tr][td]Career[/td][td](may be incomplete)[/td][td][/td][td]$138,881,127[/td][/tr][/table]

PLUS the 14 million he'll make this season.
Giving up 9 mill for a ring is stupid IMO, if you don't need it give it to starving children or something

For all you know, he's already given that much money to charity over the course of his career. And you can make that complaint about every single player who has ever given up less money in professional sports. 

Plus he won't earn money for the last 40+ years of his life most likely
This isn't a guy who gets his rookie deal and he's out of the league in four years.. he's made over 150 million dollars. Even if he used a basic investment plan, he'll be fine. He wouldn't be the first guy to blow all that money, but if he does.. 9 million won't make a big difference. 

Rashard got PAID over the course of his career... Can't blame him for wanting a ring with those salaries now.

Thanks big J I didn't know about the buyout clause, that's exactly why in my original post I asked what I was missing cuz it didn't sound right

What about his Pension from the NBA?  Part of reason they have a CBA. 
I'm sure he rather give up 9M to play for a contender, than be miserable and make 20M.

Originally Posted by prison mike

Not sure if serious.
For real
laugh.gif
. If he was smart with his money (which appears to be the case since you haven't heard anything about him buying multiple yachts or having 17 kids), that's
more than enough money for the "last 40+ years of his life".

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

What about his Pension from the NBA?  Part of reason they have a CBA. 
I'm sure he rather give up 9M to play for a contender, than be miserable and make 20M.

Since the topic is up, was it publically known that Antoine Walker was the type who spent alot of money? Was shocked when I heard he was broke after making over 100 mil in his career. *Does the shimmy*

Giving up 9 mill for a ring is stupid IMO
Wow. People used to commend players for making winning their first second & last priority.

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Since the topic is up, was it publically known that Antoine Walker was the type who spent alot of money? Was shocked when I heard he was broke after making over 100 mil in his career. *Does the shimmy*
Dude gambled away all his money
30t6p3b.gif
 I had read the Nazr Mohammed paid off a lot of his debt, but that makes me wonder, how much is he making
laugh.gif
??

Originally Posted by ill steelo

Giving up 9 mill for a ring is stupid IMO
Wow. People used to commend players for making winning their first second & last priority.
It's an occupation, not really anything more.

Winning a championship is a matter of circumstance, not will or want. As an independent contractor it would be foolish to not seek the best available compensation. If the other people you work with are skilled too, then that's icing on the cake

Apparently some of you didn't take the time to open your eyes and read what some people like BIG J have taken the time out of their days to show you.
Can't believe the "9 million" is still being talked about when it was just told to you guys by multiple people that there was a provisional buy-out clause in the last year of his contract.

He didn't give up 9 million. 
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom