SOCCER HEADS: World's Best Free Kick Taker?

I recently saw a poll on Goal.com asking the same question. A lot of options were given but eventually my boy Alessandro Del Piero won the vote.

So i ask the same question to the NT soccer fans..who's the best free kick taker in the workd? I'll be honest I only have the opportunity of watchingthe Italian Serie A and the English Premier League..plus internationals, so i haven't seen much of guys like Juninho, Nakamura (from what I have seenhe's unreal), Wesley Sneijder, or Riquelme.

My top 5:
1) Alessandro Del Piero (YES I'M BIASED)
2) Andrea Pirlo
3) Ronaldinho (say what you want about him falling off...the boy can kill a set piece)
4) David Beckham (thats all he has left)
5) Steven Gerrard (almost replace Nakamura for him strictly on the youtube videos)

Yes I am biased and yes my league of preference is Serie A. So voice your opinion and give your top 3, 5, or 10. Hopefully we can get this thread going beforethe football threads take over this weekend.

I never watch the French league either but take a look at Juninho's work on youtube. No one has been a more impressive FK taker in the last 5 years or so.

I personally think Ronaldinho is over-rated from set pieces, and I think the worst set piece taker alive is Frank Lampard, either his shot gets poorly struckor it just hits the wall.

Just checked out Juninho's clips on youtube....I've actually thought he was joking taking a shot on goal from some of those distances, the boystalented.

The reason why i think guys like Del Piero, Pirlo, and now Juninho are the best is because there's absolutely no element of surprise with them. Most of thetime when Lampard scores from one, you see Drogba and Ballack lined up next to him and its a guessing game as to who's going to take it...but with Pirlo,Del Piero and a few other you know what's coming, no surprises or tricks...and you still can't stop it.

I would be hard pressed to not put Juninho and Ronald 1a and 1b.

Lampard Ill agree has some of the worst attempts ever. I don't mind Deco taking most of them.

Ronaldinho is mad overrated for me. I have seen some awful attempts by him.

Nakamura is good. I never watch Celtic but I have seen clips.

Beckham can still take them. Even though he isn't where he was.

Serie A defiantly has some of the top set piece guys. Del Piero has always stood out.

Originally Posted by TheZephyr777

I would be hard pressed to not put Juninho and Ronald 1a and 1b.

Lampard Ill agree has some of the worst attempts ever. I don't mind Deco taking most of them.

Ronaldinho is mad overrated for me. I have seen some awful attempts by him.

Nakamura is good. I never watch Celtic but I have seen clips.

Beckham can still take them. Even though he isn't where he was.

Serie A defiantly has some of the top set piece guys. Del Piero has always stood out.
who are you referring to when you say ronald? i can only deduce that you're either speaking about c. ronaldo or fat ronaldo, both of whichare laughable entries into a top 5 list of best free kick takers currently.

also, calling juninho's freekicks predictable is pretty laughable. some of his free kicks wobble so much you'd think someone was pulling on the ballwith a string. to throw in a name no one has mentioned yet, i'd give riquelme consideration as a top 5 free kick taker.

610x.jpg

^^^yeah i've seen that look before, thats the look right after he takes about 10 steps back, takes an over-dramatic deep breathe, and then proceeds toblast the ball 15 feet over the bar. He might be the golden ball winner this year...but not on the list of best free kick takers...and this is from an Ronaldofan.

and I wasn't saying Juninho's free kicks are predictable, just that theres no trickery of who's going to take it and from what angle...he juststeps up and does his thing and doesn't need to be fancy.

Juninho is definitely up there.

i guess Beckham is always on consideration.

i also love the way Kaka and Daniele De Rossi strike the ball so i'll put them in there.

Riquelme, Pirlo and Del Piro are the best ive seen

haven't gotten a chance to see Juninho or Nakamura so i can't comment on them

Ronaldinho is overrated, I'd probably still take Beks over> if its from a certain angle

Originally Posted by JJUVE

^^^yeah i've seen that look before, thats the look right after he takes about 10 steps back, takes an over-dramatic deep breathe, and then proceeds to blast the ball 15 feet over the bar. He might be the golden ball winner this year...but not on the list of best free kick takers...and this is from an Ronaldo fan.

and I wasn't saying Juninho's free kicks are predictable, just that theres no trickery of who's going to take it and from what angle...he just steps up and does his thing and doesn't need to be fancy.

ok but alot of them go in.....hes the best player in the world

anybody see Freddy Adu's first international goal off the free kick the other night? pretty sick... granted, it was against a terrible team, but it was agreat ball. Anyways, that's all.

Another Juve fan?!
pimp.gif
Forza La Vecchia Signora!!

I haven't watched Juninho enough, but from what I've seen on youtube, he's supa sick nasty.

Ale Del Piero
Juninho
Riquelme (Trivela
eek.gif
)
Pirlo
Kaka

Roman Riquelme should be at least top 5. The guy is surreal! Yet I would like to make a honorable mention to this guy - Roberto Carlos

^ beat me to it, regarding to Roberto Carlos' stunner vs. France...

Juninho is definitely up there, as is Becks... as for C. Ron, its hard to say... yes, he can make incredible freekicks, but it just seems like the consistancyisn't there...

speaking of incredible freekicks... its the way he strikes the ball... it almost has a knuckleball-effect on it...

I thought I backspaced and put in Riquelme.

I think he is one of the best.

But C Ronaldo is good. Just inconsistent.

laugh.gif
at his deep breath then awful miss.

Back
Top Bottom