Spurs to sign Drew Gooden..

[h1]Gooden commits to signing with Spurs[/h1]
Forward Drew Gooden has committed to sign with the San Antonio Spurs after he clears waivers on Wednesday morning, two league executives said Tuesday evening.

Gooden was released by the Sacramento Kings late Sunday, making him eligible to play for another team during the playoffs. The Spurs expect to sign Gooden for about $1.5 million, the remainder of their midlevel exception. The contract keeps the team below the NBA's luxury-tax threshold.

Gooden's imminent signing comes also comes as the Cleveland Cavaliers have reached agreement with forward Joe Smith, an Eastern Conference executive said.

Gooden averaged 13.1 points and 8.6 rebounds in 31 games with the Chicago Bulls before he was traded to the Kings on Feb. 18. The Kings reached a buyout agreement with Gooden which saved the franchise about $1.8 million.

Gooden has recently battled a groin injury, but the Spurs are comfortable with giving him as much time as needed to heal in hopes he'll be ready for the playoffs. Spurs officials, who have looked for frontcourt help and tried to trade for Los Angeles Clippers Center Marcus Camby, envision Gooden as a backup to Matt Bonner.

Link

Already!
pimp.gif

PO

spurs and cavs makin moves! awesome

glad LA didnt get him. spurs will be tough against anyone in the west. playoffs will be great

The more I keep thinking about, the more I think the Spurs are going to win this year. I still have to say Boston and Lakers but I don't know if I'llsay that once the playoffs come around. Once again this team has had mad injuries during the season, and by the playoffs everyone will be healthy, ready to go.They have the best coach in the game in Pop, and Duncan is the ultimate winner. Still one of the best 4 players in the League. With Gooden that frontline justgot scary. =

Son of a GUN!!!

Mikki Moore, Joe Smith, Drew Gooden... one of these guys will burn the Lakers in a pivotal game.
frown.gif

that pic still stings. im in that pic too. right to the side of the larry o brien leaning against the railing. i wasnt too happy right then and there

isnt he injured anyways?
i think i read on espn that he was gonna get surgery sometime, probably at the end of the season

It's an odd year...you know what that means

That being said, I hate odd years because of the Spurs
laugh.gif

Am I the only one that thinks the Spurs have the potential (not saying it will happen) to stun the Lakers? Gooden is not a bad signing AT ALL off the bench forSan Antonio.

NBA playoffs wont start until the 3rd round when you have Lakers/Spurs and LeBrons/Celtics. In fact, I think they should scrap the first two rounds of theplayoffs this season and cut to the chase.

Originally Posted by enrique23

isnt he injured anyways?
i think i read on espn that he was gonna get surgery sometime, probably at the end of the season
latest news I heard says that he will be ready around the time playoffs start. Lakers are in deep sh*t right now
eek.gif
eek.gif

I like what my team is looking to do with the potential addition of Drew. Odd year and with drew in the line up next to Tim. I think the rest of the NBA myhave a problem...

I'm excited about the Spurs getting Gooden. We've needed a big man next to Duncan since DRob left. How we managed to get through without one amazesme. Anyway I still thought we had a chance even without him since our bench has been playing pretty good. There not consistent but when they are good watchout. I still thought we could have beaten the lakers in a 7 game series being 4-3 in the playoffs but if Gooden is ready by playoff time I could only imaginethe damage they can do.

Spurs step it up with this move.

But the Lakers in all seriousness don't need to sign anyone. They didn't have the types of voids that the Spurs, Celtics, or Cavs had.

Back
Top Bottom