Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
She's a good actor but she also doesn't have a huge resume. Star wars is her big break and we haven't quite seen her range yet.. After Brie Larson does Captain Marvel we'll see about her as well.

That whole scene where Luke was teaching her about the force on the rocks could've been a "casting couch" scene with all the faces she was making:nerd:

Rey had a ton of things to do in Jakku, might've shown more about her day to day life than ANH has shown us about Luke.
She is also a good pilot as well as a skilled scavenger with a mysterious path. You guys want everything laid out? You have
to remember people now are more keen and smarter when it comes to twists, they NEEDED to be more secretive because
guess what. If they didn't the same people will be complaining as well that EVERYTHING IS LAID OUT.

Also, if we're actually comparing TFA to ANH(an absolutely legendary film), TFA will never win this debate. Tyson vs Mayweather
Pacquiao vs Mexico
it’s not about comparing. You said what makes us invested in Luke in ANH. One can be more invested in Luke in 30mins in ANH then Rey in two movies. We want to feel for these characters for them to go through tough times not just everything come easy. You actually have to ask why should we be invested in Luke in ANH

it’s not about comparing. You said what makes us invested in Luke in ANH. One can be more invested in Luke in 30mins in ANH then Rey in two movies. We want to feel for these characters for them to go through tough times not just everything come easy. You actually have to ask why should we be invested in Luke in ANH
I asked because Rey's story is being questioned in TFA. That we couldn't be invested because we know nothing.
I'm only arguing that they're both on the same level in terms of emotional weight. Luke's story was felt rushed/shoehorned
if you REALLY analyze it like we're doing with the new trilogy. If you really try to be objective about it, you'll see. I'm not
knocking ANH or Luke, if you know anything about me, that's the last thing I'll do. LMAO

Did they explain

giphy.gif

Never start off a question with that when talking about The Last Jedi

She's a good actor but she also doesn't have a huge resume. Star wars is her big break and we haven't quite seen her range yet.. After Brie Larson does Captain Marvel we'll see about her as well.

wait, what?

Brie has a huge catalog of movies and already won an Academy Award, GG, SAG and BAFTA for best actress.

I felt like Tfa was darker. Tlj was like a satire...too many forced joke moments...everything was forced. From the serious parts, to the light hearted parts...

Also, no homo, Kylo Rens hair styled in tlj was too emo for my liking.

wait, what?

Brie has a huge catalog of movies and already won an Academy Award, GG, SAG and BAFTA for best actress.

:lol: Dude was like but Captain Marvel makes or breaks her career.

Brie reminds me of Emma Stones come up, from some goofy comedy where I thought I'd never see her again to loving her performances to getting the awards

I felt like Tfa was darker. Tlj was like a satire...too many forced joke moments...everything was forced. From the serious parts, to the light hearted parts...

felt the same way, would have been dope if they got christopher nolan to do these.. or remake episode 1-3

saw it for the first time last night (yeah, flame suit on for waiting so cot damn long, but work/hockey got in the way). i've mentioned it before in my rare posting in here, i don't consider myself a hardcore star wars fan by any stretch. my takes are always pretty basic but i do really love the franchise as a whole :lol:

gut reaction (since it was first viewing and i will see it at least 3 more times) is that i thought this was a lot better than TFW.

Kylo was so much better in this movie. i loved the focus on expanding what the force really is and the power of it. I thought the connection he had with Rey was done well and really sets us up for the obvious...or at least believing it :lol:

Luke's character taking a lot of heat (people walking out of it last night were PISSED) and sounds like Hamill himself isn't a fan. i thought it made sense for the story. a passing of the torch. one last act to save the rebellion before exiting. i didn't see it giving up or being a shadow of himself from the older movies. i thought it was more realistic, actually.

The Yoda scene was stellar

Poe's being a rebel through and through and then learning what it means to truly lead was well done...saw that as a set up for an even greater role going forward obviously.

but definitely want and need to see it again. overall, big fan of it.

didn't like it as much as R1 but it's probably right behind or close. might be top 3 for me if i give it another watch.

Long catch-up post, so I'll spoiler it:
you can use this argument in ANY sci fi fantasy superhero movie.
Why can't Thor just overpower everyone.
Why can't Superman overpower everyone.
Why can't Iron Man call his army of armors and fight against Cap.
Thor doesn't overpower everyone because there have been specific plot devices that have limited his power in the movies. He finally got unleashed at the end of Ragnarok and it was :pimp:

Superman being OP is the reason why I have never cared about him, and why any "Batman vs Superman" story is ludicrous from the jump. Superman can chill out miles away and fry anyone with his laser vision. If that doesn't work, fly them into space. If that doesn't kill them, throw them into the sun. *shrug*

To a lower degree, same as Superman. Iron Man should never lose against Cap, especially with backup suits as wingmen, not to mention Rhodey, unless he is stupid and fights him in hand-to-hand combat (which defeats most of the point of his tech, and which is what he did in Civil War to even make it a plausible fight).

the only thing that really bothered me about the last two installments is that finn and rey can pickup a lightsaber and go toe to toe with someone as powerful and trained as kylo ren?

Kylo was just toying with Finn like a cat plays with a mouse. He was relishing the thought of killing the traitor who was the cause of frustration over BB-8/the map staying just out of reach throughout the movie, and wanted to extend that feeling a bit longer before finishing Finn off. His guard was completely down when Finn nicked his shoulder, and Kylo flipped the switch and took him out of the fight immediately after that.

We already know that Rey is just magically OP for no reason, but I guess we just have to accept that as part of her character :stoneface:

Someone mentioned before but I loved Poe's fighter scene at the beginning. A lot of people have claimed the best pilot in the universe title but we never really get the full effect (prequel/clone wars we're cool). This was good.
Yeah he was good, seemed like more of a Saw type rebel. His decisions did cause a lot of death though.
I really liked what they did with Poe in this movie. More awesome flying, but we see him make some mistakes, which he will grow from in his new leadership role in the Resistance/Rebels in Episode 9. Good character development to knock him down a notch so he can grow bigger.

Did they explain what happened to the Jedi students Kylo didn’t kill at the temple?
Kylo or Luke said that Kylo took the surviving students, and it is assumed that they are now part of the Knights of Ren, which we only saw in Rey's vision when she touches the lightsaber in Maz's castle.

Last edited:
So to recap from a few. Multiple cities all have standing ovations. bs. We should be invested in Rey as we are Luke. I thought you guys were leaving this thread. I’ve seen this movie twice. You know when people clapped when Carrie fishers name popped up in the credits. Its funny when other companies like Dceu have these flaws y’all call them out

I asked because Rey's story is being questioned in TFA. That we couldn't be invested because we know nothing.
I'm only arguing that they're both on the same level in terms of emotional weight. Luke's story was felt rushed/shoehorned
if you REALLY analyze it like we're doing with the new trilogy. If you really try to be objective about it, you'll see. I'm not
knocking ANH or Luke, if you know anything about me, that's the last thing I'll do. LMAO
Luke from ANH and Rey from TFA or TLJ have the same emotional weight? Come on now what drugs you on? That’s fine you want to say TLJ is a good movie o said it was too. Terrible sequel. But come on Luke and Rey have the same emotional weight.

Last edited:
Luke from ANH and Rey from TFA or TLJ have the same emotional weight? Come on now what drugs you on?
846ab3800f0c4c644b377cf2d776977f69eed03e97f9e2c48ad152e4a4306db1.jpg

drugs are bad bro.

To say that Luke in ANH made us believe and invest in him more than Rey in TFA is like saying
Pepsi tastes better than Coke. Sure. I'm sure you're right. But there's also that chance that you're wrong.
I know every single thing that happened in ANH and I cannot say that Luke gave us a lot more than Rey.
Because as a lot of you say, TFA is a rehash right? If you're arguing otherwise, then it's not a rehash now?

Just because Rey isn't related (we don't REALLY know this) to Snoke or Kylo? Just because there's no direct
connection? What makes us invested in DeNiro in Taxi Driver? What makes us invested in Gosling in Drive?
What makes us invested in Depp in Brasco? The argument that Rey didn't give us enough to care about is
just baseless and SUPER subjective. It just doesn't carry any weight IMO.

So basically saying you have no comeback. Love how you’re using Palpatine stuff cause we know Kylo or snoke don’t have any good ones.

Back
Top Bottom