Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

^How about some back & biceps?

Many people ignore the lower back and its role in posture. Deadlifting and good mornings are alright, but you should stretch and exercise the lower back more than just those two moves. 
Could somebody embed this?:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

Does anyone use the Bodylastics system? Or the Weider X system? I am moving abroad and want something that I can toss into my suitcase and take there with me. No idea what my gym etc availability will be so really interested in the Bodylastics one. Thanks!

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

^intra-workout

a highly hydrolyzed protein will absorb and be digested very rapidly, even faster than free-form amino acids.
I think Durden meant: are there any benefits of having a protein that is absorbed faster?
Precisely.

Following up what Joe said:  Is there truly a benefit to taking something intra-workout?

^ I use Thera bands instead of tubing, they are cheaper, lighter and take up less space with diff resistance. Normally warm up chest/back day with them and i get a good stretch. About $20 or so for 3 6' of band. Or if you know anyone in physical therapy the places usually give out a few.

We also have the 'free motion' cable system at the gym and I use it as a finishing exercise for just about all muscle groups. Once you know the moves you can pretty much do all your free weight moves on it. Although I wouldn't use it to build mass, its def. appreciated once Im exhausted and dont have a spotter.

Originally Posted by Durden7

^intra-workout

a highly hydrolyzed protein will absorb and be digested very rapidly, even faster than free-form amino acids.
I think Durden meant: are there any benefits of having a protein that is absorbed faster?
Precisely.

Following up what Joe said:  Is there truly a benefit to taking something intra-workout?
yup. hydrolyzed protein intra-workout raises blood plasma concentrations of amino acids and thus increases protein synthesis. ingestion of free form bcaa's does this as  well but they are not as readily absorbed as highly hydrolyzed protein is.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

Real talk, move this back into GENERAL. More responses, replies, and "help".

Back on topic, mannnnnnnnnnn jump roping is no joke. I can only do an average of 20 secs before messing up. My peak was 45 secs, I'm going to work on it5 days a week. Heard jump roping improves stamina and helps you lose weight easily.
How is this coming along.

I usually try to set goals for myself (Ie... consecutive jumps). My goal a few years ago was 1000 in a row. I surpassed it a few times but never got to it again.

I will probably do the 300 today and jumprope at the end. I do NOT feel like doing ANYTHING today man

laugh.gif
, You dug up that reply good.

My best is 10 mins non-stop
smh.gif
and it was hard thing to achieve, for me anyway.  The end result?  Lets just say my stomach got more slimmer, not sure if its the jump rope or my diet.  Either way, it doesn't matter because I'm not doing cardio any more.  Going to lay off of it till spring break and see how that works out for my body.

^intra-workout

Precisely.

yup. hydrolyzed protein intra-workout raises blood plasma concentrations of amino acids and thus increases protein synthesis. ingestion of free form bcaa's does this as  well but they are not as readily absorbed as highly hydrolyzed protein is.
Ok, I understand.

My question is still this though, is there a benefit to taking it during a workout?  I understand what it does, but why would someone feel the need to take it during their workout.

From all my knowledge, I dont see a need for protein synthesis during a workout.  Its not a great source of energy, and that small time from from consuming it middle of a workout to end of a workout will not make a difference as far as protein synthesis is concerned.

Maybe theres something I dont know science-related that changes things, Im not sure.

Just got back from the gym Green Mag/White Flood was in full effect... I didnt even full like leaving the gym... Now im eating a pb&j sandwich with wheat bread and myofusion shake : ) ... almost 1000 calories for my bulking

Something I happened to stumble upon after taking a break from my homework. Could this be......?

http://www.news6report.com/

The article is about the Acai Advanced pill and how writer volunteered herself to try out the product and lost 25 lbs in during the 4 week process.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Something I happened to stumble upon after taking a break from my homework. Could this be......?

http://www.news6report.com/

The article is about the Acai Advanced pill and how writer volunteered herself to try out the product and lost 25 lbs in during the 4 week process.
laugh.gif
That's not even a real news station, that's a full on ad site.  You new to the internets my dude?

laugh.gif
@using a pic of Melissa Theuriau.

^Lol nah, I thought that part was a little bit suspicious, I've seen plenty pictures of Theurieau and I was confounded. K thanks for clearing that up.

^intra-workout

Precisely.

Ok, I understand.

My question is still this though, is there a benefit to taking it during a workout?  I understand what it does, but why would someone feel the need to take it during their workout.

From all my knowledge, I dont see a need for protein synthesis during a workout.  Its not a great source of energy, and that small time from from consuming it middle of a workout to end of a workout will not make a difference as far as protein synthesis is concerned.

Maybe theres something I dont know science-related that changes things, Im not sure.
protein synthesis is what repairs/builds muscle......i'm not the best at explaining it but i can dig up some research. definitely beneficial.

^intra-workout

Precisely.

Ok, I understand.

protein synthesis is what repairs/builds muscle......i'm not the best at explaining it but i can dig up some research. definitely beneficial.

But I think Durden knows that... what he's questioning is whether this 30 min advance in when your protein synthesis starts is actually beneficial. Like whether if me and you were twins, same exact build, etc. and we both started working out... if you took the hydrolyzed protein and i didn't... would you actually see more results?

Fellas, what's a good pre-workout pick me up. I'm trying to stick with just whole foods and no supplements like whey or creatine. I go to the gym right after work.

What do ya'll think about those Ensure nutrition drinks? I'm also going to eat yogurt too. I'm basically asking about options for good healthy pre-workout snacks. I'm allergic to raw fruits, btw.

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

^intra-workout

Precisely.

Ok, I understand.

But I think Durden knows that... what he's questioning is whether this 30 min advance in when your protein synthesis starts is actually beneficial. Like whether if me and you were twins, same exact build, etc. and we both started working out... if you took the hydrolyzed protein and i didn't... would you actually see more results?

Yeah essentially.  Does taking something during a workout truly have an effect on the body as compared to taking the same thing or something else after exercising?

Quick question, when I'm doing hang cleans and I'm bringing the weight down, I get a slight pain in my right forearm. I just started doing hang cleans about a month ago. I'm wondering whether it is due to me not being used to the exercise or what.

This is with 95 lbs. I can preacher curl 80 lbs and I can upright row 80-90 lbs, so my biceps/forearms aren't weak or anything. That's why the soreness seems strange.

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

Alright, someone needs to help me understand this...

A hydrolysate protein is already partially broken down due to heat, acid, etc.  This denatures the protein.  Whats the benefit from someone taking this form of protein?

Wouldnt the denaturing of it affect who its used within the body?

It's baffling me.
Denaturing a protein doesn't render it useless or make it less effective than a non-denatured protein.  When you cook chicken, you denature the protein, but it's still the same protein, same calories, same amount of amino acids.  Chicken is a great source of protein, but you wouldn't want to go eating it raw, or "medium rare" just to make sure the protein isn't denatured.  Did a quick google search on it:

Denaturation of proteins involves the disruption and possible destruction of both the secondary and tertiary structures. Since denaturation reactions are not strong enough to break the peptide bonds, the primary structure (sequence of amino acids) remains the same after a denaturation process. Denaturation disrupts the normal alpha-helix and beta sheets in a protein and uncoils it into a random shape.

Hydrolyzed protein just absorbs faster.  It's like a protein version of baby food.

Ohhhh ok, It makes more sense now.  Thank you.

Ok, the follow up questions arent really scientific but its more of a general question that anyone can feel free to answer.

Does anyone truly need hydrolyzed protein?  Obviously the human body needs a source of energy after it exerts itself.  Is there truly a need for a protein that digests that quickly though?

In terms of exercise/fitness, is technology outpacing science?
Ask any doctor, the intake of protein should be highly monitored for anyone.  You should never go over your limit, because proteins are some of the most complex molecules in the body.  Why?

Because it requires a lot from your kidneys to break down these large complex molecules.  If they are hydrolyzed, I assume it would be better for your kidneys.  I'm no expert though.

So I signed up for a gym 3 weeks ago. I started off at 200 i'm now 189. My goal is to get to 170, and be in the shape I used to be.

My little weekly routine:
(staart off every work out with 15-20mind on the treadmill/cycle)
Monday-Chest/triceps
Tuesday-Legs/abs
Wendsday-Biceps/back
Thursday:Straight cardio/playing a pick up game
Friday-Sunday:Rest days

Originally Posted by cguy610

Fellas, what's a good pre-workout pick me up. I'm trying to stick with just whole foods and no supplements like whey or creatine. I go to the gym right after work.

What do ya'll think about those Ensure nutrition drinks? I'm also going to eat yogurt too. I'm basically asking about options for good healthy pre-workout snacks. I'm allergic to raw fruits, btw.
There's way too much carbs in those drinks.  I only use them as a meal replacement when I haven't eaten enough for the day.

mayor, i just ran for a little over an hour on the treadmil with the incline at 14.5 and it's the best workout i've had all week. i definitely recommend doing that.. i feel like i can bag michelle obama right now.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

good forearm exercises?

Get your forearm exercises done in compound exercises.
Personally, I feel the burn with upright rows and hammer curls.
I agree. I don't make an effort to work out just the forearms, but for me, close-grip upright row & reverse (palms down) curls work the best.

Back
Top Bottom