Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

trust me Im not trying to be a mini mod but im interested in learning how this doesnt belong in s&t lol

because fitness needs more exposure on NT

period.

Originally Posted by WarMachine

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

Can anyone help me out?

I'm not really looking to bulk up on muscle but get down in weight. Would it be necessary to lift weight while you're losing weight? I'm planning to do cardio and a clean diet with reduced calorie intake THEN bulk up after I lose that weight

laugh.gif
wait... you don't want muscle? well if you don't care about muscle loss and only want to lose weight why not just go on a VLCD?
Eh. I wouldn't recommend that. It would get rid of some of the muscle that he already has then. He wants to lose body fat first, so he shouldfocus on reducing calories. IMO, everyone should do some sort of resistance training; however, it should be their choice as to how they do it. They can docalisthenics, weights, etc. It not only improves body composition and raises your metabolic rate, but it helps in daily things, like carrying groceries to thecar, etc.
There are other ways to add muscle and cut body fat at the same time. They aren't conventional or mainstream though.

man i was looking for this thread...thank you for whoever made this new one...yall prolly know im "goin thru" a break up...lost 5 pounds in aweek...cant eat anything...i just went back to the gym yesterday and planning to go back today before i go start my 2nd job...i don't know what it is thatmakes you feel better after a workout...i felt like there's nothing im my mind just lift...im gonna post before and after when i get home...

can someone hook me up with a 3 different upper-body workouts? I do cardio/resistance for my lower body so I'm looking for 3 different upper body workouts.Not sure which muscle groups to do with which, so 3 workouts would be highly appreciated.

Originally Posted by mcnoodlez

can someone hook me up with a 3 different upper-body workouts? I do cardio/resistance for my lower body so I'm looking for 3 different upper body workouts. Not sure which muscle groups to do with which, so 3 workouts would be highly appreciated.
What's your goal? Strength? Size?
Personally, I'd rather do an upper body day than just two body parts.

Just mix and match exercises really. Make sure that you do compound movements and try and include one for each muscle group/action, like pull, push, etc.
Bench - Incline, Flat, Decline, Close-grip; DB, BB, Cable
Dips - bodyweight or weighted
Pushups - Incline, decline, flat, diamond, one arm, handstand, wide, etc.
Military Press - BB, DB
Bent Over Row - DB, BB
Pull up - bodyweight or weighted. Can progress to muscle ups if you get really good.
Lat Pulldown

If you want isolation exercises, then throw some in, but I wouldn't recommend them if you want strength. Either way though, your main base should still becompound movements.

So I went into the gym for squat day two days ago, and I said to myself, "Screw it, while I'm here, let's just do some chin-ups to see whereI'm at." Last time, about two weeks ago, I struggled to get four. The first chin I did surprised me, I did it so easily. I almost wish I had a camerato record my face at the time.

I knocked out 6 and damn near backflipped I was so excited. Progress always makes you feel good about yourself. Oh, and maybe I was being paranoid about thewhole biceps lagging behind the rest of my body thing.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by mcnoodlez

can someone hook me up with a 3 different upper-body workouts? I do cardio/resistance for my lower body so I'm looking for 3 different upper body workouts. Not sure which muscle groups to do with which, so 3 workouts would be highly appreciated.
What's your goal? Strength? Size?
Personally, I'd rather do an upper body day than just two body parts.

Just mix and match exercises really. Make sure that you do compound movements and try and include one for each muscle group/action, like pull, push, etc.
Bench - Incline, Flat, Decline, Close-grip; DB, BB, Cable
Dips - bodyweight or weighted
Pushups - Incline, decline, flat, diamond, one arm, handstand, wide, etc.
Military Press - BB, DB
Bent Over Row - DB, BB
Pull up - bodyweight or weighted. Can progress to muscle ups if you get really good.
Lat Pulldown

If you want isolation exercises, then throw some in, but I wouldn't recommend them if you want strength. Either way though, your main base should still be compound movements.
i want to bulk up my chest/neck/shoulders/arms etc., but with lean, cut muscle, not bulkiness. i'm going for the lean/cut look, and doing HIITreligiously.

To stay lean, you don't need to worry about different exercises, just try and aim for low reps between 3-5. The 6-12 rep range is for strength and size,whereas lower is for strength. Strength will definitely add a 'dense' look your muscle, but it won't cause a huge gain in size. Olympic lifters aregreat examples.

I think that there's a great website that you may be interested in: www.fitnessblackbook.com
Rusty, the guy that runs the site, is a great guy. He's all about helping those that aren't into bodybuilding and mass training, but those that areinto a sustainable, lean look. He's 40 now, but he's lean as a 20 year old.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

trust me Im not trying to be a mini mod but im interested in learning how this doesnt belong in s&t lol

because fitness needs more exposure on NT

period.

That plus what sport is this? what you training for? might be a few pro's in here, but it's mostly a general fitness thread, plus it gets minor lovein the sports forum.

To stay lean, you don't need to worry about different exercises, just try and aim for low reps between 3-5. The 6-12 rep range is for strength and size, whereas lower is for strength. Strength will definitely add a 'dense' look your muscle, but it won't cause a huge gain in size. Olympic lifters are great examples.

I think that there's a great website that you may be interested in: www.fitnessblackbook.com
Rusty, the guy that runs the site, is a great guy. He's all about helping those that aren't into bodybuilding and mass training, but those that are into a sustainable, lean look. He's 40 now, but he's lean as a 20 year old.

So 3-5 is for mass? 6-12 for strength and size? Obviously the weight changes here.. can you elaborate more on this? - im trying to figure out where I shouldbe.

Got me some Fish Oil caps.

3-5 is for strength. 6-12 is for size and strength
Weight lifters lift low reps because it doesn't cause as big of a gain in mass as more reps would. That's why you can see small guys lifting hugeweights; they keep the reps low to limit the growth in size.

Yeah, the weight should also change accordingly. You should be just able to do 5 reps at most with the weight. But don't train to the point of exhaustion.You should never feel depleted after a workout. Training to failure consistently isn't good. You should only use it to break past a sticking point.

I havent been to the gym since my first year of college, any advice on how to start back again with out felling pain in the morning?

I'm 220 and I want to loose weight but I'm lazy....whats a good start for me...I was real active in highschool with playing football and was like 185my senior year now I'm a junior in college and out off shape.

it is wat it is and JoseBronx, check out the first post of this thread. Good info to start off with.

3-5 is for strength. 6-12 is for size and strength
Weight lifters lift low reps because it doesn't cause as big of a gain in mass as more reps would. That's why you can see small guys lifting huge weights; they keep the reps low to limit the growth in size.

Yeah, the weight should also change accordingly. You should be just able to do 5 reps at most with the weight. But don't train to the point of exhaustion. You should never feel depleted after a workout. Training to failure consistently isn't good. You should only use it to break past a sticking point.
-Lifting heavy has to do with recruiting existing and building as many new neuro muscular connections as possible. If you're lifting heavy youcan't really do too many reps because you're limited by your central nervous system and the peripheral nervous systems.

-Size is mainly a function of genetics. Everybody has a ceiling and limitations and no matter how hard one works the closer you get to that ceiling the slowerthe gains (in terms of strentgh and/or size) materialize. You ca lift 4x6 or 5x5 and gain size and then someone else can lift 3x12 or 3x15 and not gain muchsize.

- There are 2 different kinds of fatigue. Muscular fatigue and CNS fatigue. One can train to muscular fatigue in every workout with no problems. That is whatmany BB'ers do. On the other hand you can't train to CNS fatigue in every workout because it will lead to over training fairly quickly.

I very well could wrong here, but I thought the number of neuromuscular connections is predetermined and can't change.

Originally Posted by Durden7

I very well could wrong here, but I thought the number of neuromuscular connections is predetermined and can't change.
You're right. I meant new pathways within the connections.
I don't know the exact technical term.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Durden7

You're right. I meant new pathways within the connections.
I don't know the exact technical term.

Ahh ok, yeah I wasnt sure if we were thinking of different things or not. Good info though.

Thanks for the info wawaweewa.
With strength, a certain amount of size is going to come. You can't avoid size, but you can train so you minimize the amount of mass that you gain.
I don't believe in training to muscular failure each time because then I feel like you train for the failure, not for the success portion of the workout,which basically means that you can't reap the same benefits if you don't train to failure. Then, when a plateau is reached, there's not much to do.

So for me trying to gain mass/strength I should stick to a higher-##! rep (8-10) and 3-4 sets?

Back
Top Bottom