Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

I have some slight pain in my upper back.

I can feel it if I run, jump, or lift anything heavy.

Bleh, man oh man do I regret my last chest day.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

IMPORTANT QUESTION

Can anyone link me to a youtube video or article link on how to carry or lift the dumbells off the floors and rack safely, or give me an explanation? And if possible, more specificly, how to go about placing them on my thigh and getting it in the air without assistance and without screwing up my back? ( setting them up on the decline bench, and incline)

I was doing really heavy dumbell presses and I screwed something up... Not severely but I don't want this problem to worsen. ( or well I'm hoping) I'm pretty sure it was because I was either lifting the weights off the floor/rack wrong, or dropping/setting them down wrong?

Tried looking for something to no avail. It'd be MUCH APPRECIATED.
Quoted because I really need an answer.
nerd.gif
I would love to know aswell.
For flat, incline or decline?

Decline is a *#%$@ with heavy dumbbells.

Incline and Flat are easier and the best way to do it is to place to DBs close to your  kness when youre sitting down.  You can then use your legs as momentum to get the weights down and up.

I have some slight pain in my upper back.

I can feel it if I run, jump, or lift anything heavy.

Bleh, man oh man do I regret my last chest day.
You pulled a muscle. It happens. The more you work near 1rm the more of these nagging injuries you'll have. They suck and some can be avoided but not all. It's just part of the game.

Although I do think this one could have been avoided. When lifting off the floor I sit on the bench, lean over, and grab the dumbbells. Your feet should be shoulder width or narrower. Make sure that the db's are touching the outside of your sneaker. Too many people make the big msitake of goign way too wide when lifting db's off of the floor.  Then you dead lift them like any routine deadlift.

You most likely strained the muscle when you were leaning back with the dumbells. Place the dumbells at the ends of your knees. The correct technique is to bring your chest toward the dumbells so that they touch (and your head is over the dumbells). Then slowly lean back and when you're lying down the dumbells should be at your chest and ready to press. I see a lot of people start to lean back and their chest is a good 6 inches from the dumbbells and then they try to kick the dumbells up with their knees.
laugh.gif

This is all well and good when you're working with low weight but when you get to the low and mid triple digits leverage becomes your enemy and you're asking for an injury.

You don't want to be laying down and then have to use your arms to bring the dumbbells to the starting position. Again, I think the most important part is to have your chest touching the dumbbells, head over the dumbells, and then slowly lean back and let the db's rest on your chest. As your chest moves, the db's move. During this motion you're holding the db's strictly to make sure that they are parallel to your chest.

As for lifting db's off of the floor; just deadlift as usual. For db's you want your feet to be shoulder width or narrower. Do not go any wider than shoulder width.

As for putting heavy DB's back on the rack, I use both hands for each dumbell. I stand over the dumbell where it's in between my legs and lift it.  Waste less energy and lessens the chance for injury at a time when you're already tired. Most of the time I roll the db as close to the rack as possible. Same goes for when I unrack db's for sets. I'm not goign to waste energy carrying db's 10ft there and back 10 times. It's counterproductive.

Originally Posted by Durden7

IMPORTANT QUESTION

Can anyone link me to a youtube video or article link on how to carry or lift the dumbells off the floors and rack safely, or give me an explanation? And if possible, more specificly, how to go about placing them on my thigh and getting it in the air without assistance and without screwing up my back? ( setting them up on the decline bench, and incline)

I was doing really heavy dumbell presses and I screwed something up... Not severely but I don't want this problem to worsen. ( or well I'm hoping) I'm pretty sure it was because I was either lifting the weights off the floor/rack wrong, or dropping/setting them down wrong?

Tried looking for something to no avail. It'd be MUCH APPRECIATED.
Quoted because I really need an answer.
nerd.gif
I would love to know aswell.
For flat, incline or decline?

Decline is a *#%$@ with heavy dumbbells.

Incline and Flat are easier and the best way to do it is to place to DBs close to your  kness when youre sitting down.  You can then use your legs as momentum to get the weights down and up.

This, and you should be keeping your abs tight throughout every exercise you do, which will protect your spine.

Originally Posted by clkru

Why are so many folks against bread?
because unless it contains a high amount of fiber or grains, its empty carbs.  The world would be a better place without any white bread whatsoever.

Only bread worth eating regularly should have no more than 3 grams of sugar, at least 3 grams of dietary fiber, and 0 grams of fat per slice.  And the more fiber the better!  
I wasn't just speaking of white bread. I am sure most of us here understand why white bread is the devil. I was speaking of bread period, include the whole grain types. I don't see why someone that works out on a consistent basis would stay away from bread

dudes gotta stop making all these generalizations

you'll only eat bread with 0 grams of fat? so if it has like 1 or 2 g of healthy fat from vegetable oil it's not gonna work for you?

anyway, ezekiel bread is great.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

You pulled a muscle. It happens. The more you work near 1rm the more of these nagging injuries you'll have. They suck and some can be avoided but not all. It's just part of the game.

Although I do think this one could have been avoided. When lifting off the floor I sit on the bench, lean over, and grab the dumbbells. Your feet should be shoulder width or narrower. Make sure that the db's are touching the outside of your sneaker. Too many people make the big msitake of goign way too wide when lifting db's off of the floor.  Then you dead lift them like any routine deadlift.

You most likely strained the muscle when you were leaning back with the dumbells. Place the dumbells at the ends of your knees. The correct technique is to bring your chest toward the dumbells so that they touch (and your head is over the dumbells). Then slowly lean back and when you're lying down the dumbells should be at your chest and ready to press. I see a lot of people start to lean back and their chest is a good 6 inches from the dumbbells and then they try to kick the dumbells up with their knees.
laugh.gif

This is all well and good when you're working with low weight but when you get to the low and mid triple digits leverage becomes your enemy and you're asking for an injury.

You don't want to be laying down and then have to use your arms to bring the dumbbells to the starting position. Again, I think the most important part is to have your chest touching the dumbbells, head over the dumbells, and then slowly lean back and let the db's rest on your chest. As your chest moves, the db's move. During this motion you're holding the db's strictly to make sure that they are parallel to your chest.

As for lifting db's off of the floor; just deadlift as usual. For db's you want your feet to be shoulder width or narrower. Do not go any wider than shoulder width.

As for putting heavy DB's back on the rack, I use both hands for each dumbell. I stand over the dumbell where it's in between my legs and lift it.  Waste less energy and lessens the chance for injury at a time when you're already tired. Most of the time I roll the db as close to the rack as possible. Same goes for when I unrack db's for sets. I'm not goign to waste energy carrying db's 10ft there and back 10 times. It's counterproductive.
All I needed to know! Thanks!

Lol, you don't know how worried I was. Whew, glad I got that off my back *cough*

'Preciate the other tips too Durden and Chewtoy.
pimp.gif

EDIT

Wawa saved my back and my elbows.
pimp.gif

2 pints and 15 wings today after a great shoulder workout.. SMFH
could be worse calorie-wise but alcohol really kills the protien synthesis

i try not to drink on days i lift and when i do i make sure there's like 5 hours+ in between

Originally Posted by iLLest

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My little story. [/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anyone know how to embedded for me?
grin.gif
[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]iLLest![/font]

http://www.youtube.com/v/qVdALoqHRhY&hl=en_US&fs=1&http://www.youtube.com/v/qVdALoqHRhY&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

because unless it contains a high amount of fiber or grains, its empty carbs.  The world would be a better place without any white bread whatsoever.

Only bread worth eating regularly should have no more than 3 grams of sugar, at least 3 grams of dietary fiber, and 0 grams of fat per slice.  And the more fiber the better!  
I wasn't just speaking of white bread. I am sure most of us here understand why white bread is the devil. I was speaking of bread period, include the whole grain types. I don't see why someone that works out on a consistent basis would stay away from bread

Many people have trouble fully digesting bread and grains in general. Humans didn't evolve on grains and we haven't fully adapted yet either. If you're one of those people who has trouble with grains, I'd recommend you avoid it too. The only way to test it though, is to actually go without it and see how your body responds. Similar principles apply to legumes(beans, peas, etc.). Many people rely on squashes, potatoes, and other starchy foods for the bulk of their carbs rather than grains.
iLLest, definitely look into whatever you plan on doing. See what others say, look at studies, and then come up with a decision. Once you get into it, fasting is not very tough and it can actually become enjoyable.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

2 pints and 15 wings today after a great shoulder workout.. SMFH
could be worse calorie-wise but alcohol really kills the protien synthesis

i try not to drink on days i lift and when i do i make sure there's like 5 hours+ in between
i always feel like im going backwards when i drink
ohwell.gif
.  all those ab exercises and cardio going to waste cuz i end up drinking way too much.

i've been staying away from beer. but god, i love beer.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Many people have trouble fully digesting bread and grains in general. Humans didn't evolve on grains and we haven't fully adapted yet either. If you're one of those people who has trouble with grains, I'd recommend you avoid it too. The only way to test it though, is to actually go without it and see how your body responds. Similar principles apply to legumes(beans, peas, etc.). Many people rely on squashes, potatoes, and other starchy foods for the bulk of their carbs rather than grains.
iLLest, definitely look into whatever you plan on doing. See what others say, look at studies, and then come up with a decision. Once you get into it, fasting is not very tough and it can actually become enjoyable.

Do you have more information on this?  It doesnt seem right to me.

Originally Posted by Durden7

My guess is he means that our ancestors didn't have the ability to make flour and breads, pastas, etc, so it's not a natural form of food.

Durden7 wrote:

First, you need to look at how humans evolved. #$#% sapiens have been around for 200,000 years. Until recently - about 10,000 years ago - we did not domesticate animals or farm. That means that we have been eating grains for at most, 10,000 years. For the other 190,000 years, we were eating vegetables, fruits, meat, and nuts. Our diet was fairly low in carbohydrates, but it was fairly high in fats as well. That shows an interesting aspect of our anatomy. Why would we have a pancreas that secretes insulin if we were meant to eat a diet of mostly carbohydrates? There is no biological difference between sugar and complex carbohydrates when they come out from the GI tract because all of them are broken down into sugars. Sure, you may not get the same insulin spike if you ate 1000 calories of glucose compared to if you ate 1000 calories of complex carbs. But the same amount of insulin will be secreted.

There are a few elements in grains which make it hard for the body to assimilate/digest. An example is gluten.

In an evolutionary viewpoint, grains were extremely hard to gather and eat. And even if man could gather them, he could not eat them raw. Man cannot eat grains raw, but we can eat almost everything else raw(vegetables, fruits, meat, etc.). Also, grains are not a very nutrient-rich source of food. Grains have very few vitamins and minerals. Look at a grain's nutrition information, you'll see the vitamin and mineral concentration of it. Compare it to any other piece of natural food. Vegetables, fruits, meats, raw dairy, eggs, and nuts all provide more nutrition than grains. If man had to eat so much just to receive nutrition, he would have become extinct a long while back.

http://altmed.creighton.edu/Paleodiet/Paleodiet.html
http://www.marksdailyappl...hy-grains-are-unhealthy/

Now I'm not saying that you should never eat grains, nor am I saying that you should always eat grains. But eating them everyday and at almost every meal is far from ideal. The only real way to see how you react to grains is to see how feel when you don't have grains and then compare. Do it for a week and then come back on grains for a week and then compare. It's not a very hard thing to do and it will help you get more in tune with your body and how it reacts to the foods that you eat.

You don't have to listen to any dietary advice from anyone, but I do recommend that you test how you personally react to different foods that you eat. That means eliminating them and then reintroducing them to see their effect on you.

^ good post

funny that two of the things that were essential in allowing human civilizations to prosper (domestication of animals and farming) have led to poor diet + nutrition today.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

^ good post

funny that two of the things that were essential in allowing human civilizations to prosper (domestication of animals and farming) have led to poor diet + nutrition today.

laugh.gif
yeah. It's also lead to sheer laziness in modern society.
I was just arguing with my dad about how everyone should exercise. He was saying that once you get to a certain age, you shouldn't/can't exercise anymore. He's almost 50 and his main exercises are walking and bicep curls, so I'm not sure what to say to him. He's about 30 pounds overweight. It'd be nice for him to get into a healthy weight. The sad thing is that he's a doctor too. 
tired.gif

Hey guys just checking in. I took you guys advice and split up my compunds and it's working out alot better. I still get the slight lightheadedness after heavy sets, but its the familiar kind, not the scary ones like last time.

And just a word of advice to the hardgainers like me looking to put on mass, I CANNOT stress enough the importance of compound lifts. My body has never grown in size this quick, and I know it's because I started making compund lifts a major part of my routine. I've also never felt more fatigued after leaving the gym, which is a good sign in my opinion. Gotta say power cleans are my favorite exercise ever. Once I got the technique down I found myself looking forward to doing them. Plus I work out at my schools gym so it's full of guys who stick exclusively to isolation exercises, so whenever I do them people look at me as if I'm doing some ridiculous exercise
laugh.gif
Anyways, just wanted to add to the thread. Thanks for the advice and keep up the progress fellas

First, you need to look at how humans evolved. #$#% sapiens have been around for 200,000 years. Until recently - about 10,000 years ago - we did not domesticate animals or farm. That means that we have been eating grains for at most, 10,000 years. For the other 190,000 years, we were eating vegetables, fruits, meat, and nuts. Our diet was fairly low in carbohydrates, but it was fairly high in fats as well. That shows an interesting aspect of our anatomy. Why would we have a pancreas that secretes insulin if we were meant to eat a diet of mostly carbohydrates? There is no biological difference between sugar and complex carbohydrates when they come out from the GI tract because all of them are broken down into sugars. Sure, you may not get the same insulin spike if you ate 1000 calories of glucose compared to if you ate 1000 calories of complex carbs. But the same amount of insulin will be secreted.

There are a few elements in grains which make it hard for the body to assimilate/digest. An example is gluten.

In an evolutionary viewpoint, grains were extremely hard to gather and eat. And even if man could gather them, he could not eat them raw. Man cannot eat grains raw, but we can eat almost everything else raw(vegetables, fruits, meat, etc.). Also, grains are not a very nutrient-rich source of food. Grains have very few vitamins and minerals. Look at a grain's nutrition information, you'll see the vitamin and mineral concentration of it. Compare it to any other piece of natural food. Vegetables, fruits, meats, raw dairy, eggs, and nuts all provide more nutrition than grains. If man had to eat so much just to receive nutrition, he would have become extinct a long while back.

http://altmed.creighton.edu/Paleodiet/Paleodiet.html
http://www.marksdailyappl...hy-grains-are-unhealthy/

Now I'm not saying that you should never eat grains, nor am I saying that you should always eat grains. But eating them everyday and at almost every meal is far from ideal. The only real way to see how you react to grains is to see how feel when you don't have grains and then compare. Do it for a week and then come back on grains for a week and then compare. It's not a very hard thing to do and it will help you get more in tune with your body and how it reacts to the foods that you eat.

You don't have to listen to any dietary advice from anyone, but I do recommend that you test how you personally react to different foods that you eat. That means eliminating them and then reintroducing them to see their effect on you.

Excellent post.  I appreciate it.

Its still just hard for me to to think that a food item that has been around for centuries is unhealthy in any way.  Its been the staple piece of the human diet for a long time, and its never caused problems.  Take the way our society was 100 years ago (Or even 50 years).  Grains were around, bread, rolls and everything else were the basis of what humans ate.  Yet the obesity rate was much lower.  There were also fewer processed foods and unhealthy options.

Is it really the grains or is it a combination of other factors?  As a society were so much more sedentary than in decades past so is it the grains that is part of the obesity epidemic or is it the lack of movement?  Theres more options/processed foods in our culture now so is it feasible that the human body has adapted to these changes and now functions in a different way than it used to?  (Ive got no scientific evidence of this at all, just something ive wondered.)  Would our bodies be better at using grains if it wasnt being forced to handle man-made substances?

Im just wondering if grains is being used as a scape-goat for a multitude of other problems that Americans/humans have when it comes to nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom