Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Originally Posted by l2icel3oi9i6

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

I'm looking to get some new shoes for lifting, I'm thinking Vibram Five Fingers, Asics wrestling shoes or some Nike Free's, any input?
avoid the vibram five fingers. i think a few pages back, they mentioned some gyms don't allow that to be worn..? i'd go with nike free's..comfortable
pimp.gif
Avoid black Jordan sandals too, I've seen some d-bag get kicked out of the gym for rockin' those....
Spoiler [+]
roll.gif
you're a jerk..

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Anyone ever take a long 2-4 week break from strength training? did you resume adding weight, go back to where you left off or start lower? i'm not sure if i have the same amount of strength.

Two weeks is about where your 'muscle memory' (aka motor neural adaptation) starts to decline.  Strength only begins to atrophy at about the 6-8 week mark. Both of these depend on a lot of factors but that's the general rule.

If  you're a recreational gym goer than your 'muscle memory' prob accounts for less than 10% of your strength  totals. This mostly holds true for the bigger compound lifts. For most isolation movements I doubt you'll lose more than a few % if you're out 4 weeks or less. When you come back I'd just start off sub 10% on the compound movements and see how you feel and go from there. On the isolation movements I'd only cut about 5% of the weight on the 1st set.

Does anybody remember the story posted on the OG thread where this guy basically tells us what he's thinking when he hears people's excuse about not having time for the gym? I've been searching that story for a while..but can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Luong1209

I'm trying to lose as much weight as possible in 3 months.
I've been running 3-4 miles every time I'm at the gym, what else can I do?

I'm 5'9 and was at 190, but now to 182 in two weeks. Any tips?
i would say keep doing what you're doing.
definitely eat healthy which is the most important thing.

add some weight training in there if you haven't already

where do u guys hold the bar when doing squats? you guys see how far up i hold the bar when squatting, some people tell me it should be held a tad lower but i find this position the most comfortable.

34522_514355124041_299000662_538453_3741225_n.jpg

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Anyone ever take a long 2-4 week break from strength training? did you resume adding weight, go back to where you left off or start lower? i'm not sure if i have the same amount of strength.

Two weeks is about where your 'muscle memory' (aka motor neural adaptation) starts to decline.  Strength only begins to atrophy at about the 6-8 week mark. Both of these depend on a lot of factors but that's the general rule.

If  you're a recreational gym goer than your 'muscle memory' prob accounts for less than 10% of your strength  totals. This mostly holds true for the bigger compound lifts. For most isolation movements I doubt you'll lose more than a few % if you're out 4 weeks or less. When you come back I'd just start off sub 10% on the compound movements and see how you feel and go from there. On the isolation movements I'd only cut about 5% of the weight on the 1st set.
great info. 
smile.gif
 thanks 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by LiCeNseD To BaLL

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

great info. 
smile.gif
 thanks 
pimp.gif

Ditto

Originally Posted by Seattle206

where do u guys hold the bar when doing squats? you guys see how far up i hold the bar when squatting, some people tell me it should be held a tad lower but i find this position the most comfortable.
damn son, how do you do that without some kinda protection on the bar?

i keep it much lower so that pretty much my shoulder blades are holding it up

black/blue 1's
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Does that hurt your neck? I'd rest it a few inches lower, on those back muscles. Or use one of those pads.

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

Does that hurt your neck? I'd rest it a few inches lower, on those back muscles. Or use one of those pads.
pads are not needed.. do you work out your traps? squeeze them in together and rest the bar on that muscle, it provides good enough padding for squats

Originally Posted by syxth element

Originally Posted by badmoonRison

pads are not needed.. do you work out your traps? squeeze them in together and rest the bar on that muscle, it provides good enough padding for squats

yes i work my traps.  i find this position right by my neck to be most comfortable because my traps provide a natural cushion for the bar.

Good form on those squats. Good depth, and nice Jordan 1's. I'd say rest the bar wherever it's comfortable for you. And yeah, I prefer not to use a pad on the bar. You need to have all the weight as close and connected to you as possible.

Finally got my squat back up to 405 yesterday. It's been a good couple of months dealing with some small injuries, etc... but it felt good to go heavy again.

Quick question im trying to get more inshape, just get a bit more cut, really cant afford the gym at the mo can anyone reccommend me some stuff i can do at home or without the use of a gym, just trying to get a bit bigger?
All help will be much appreciated.

Heading to the gym later today for the first time in ages. I'm going to start a new regime with a mate and see how it goes. The plan is from my mate's cousin who is an ex mma fighter so it should be pretty good. I'll post up the info for it once i get it later on today if anyone is interested in it.

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like you're holding the bar up with your hands. Try to keep your arm from your elbow to your hand straight. The wrist is bent in the picture, and you might injure yourself if your arms are actually supporting the weight instead of your back. The back should be holding the weight. Good depth though.

Had a sweet workout at the gym yesterday
pimp.gif

-5 sets of dumbell bench x5 reps
-7 sets of squats x5 reps
-2 sets of powercleans x10 reps
-2 sets of front squats x5 (my lower back was destroyed)
-2 sets of t-bar rows x5 reps
-3 sets of bench x10 reps
-2 sets of dips x10 reps
-2 sets of pullups x10
-4 sets of shrugs x20
-4 sets of curls x15 (did them in between squats because 2 other guys were working in)
-4 sets of lat pulldowns x15

The whole workout lasted about 1.5 hours. I wanted to do abs and shoulders as well but my brain was fried and my blood pressure felt very low. Great workout...I think I'll take 3 days off before hitting the gym again.

Originally Posted by Truballa101

Originally Posted by Luong1209

i would say keep doing what you're doing.
definitely eat healthy which is the most important thing.

add some weight training in there if you haven't already
Originally Posted by xblaze23

Are you dieting at all? Look into high intensity interval training.
Yup. My meals normally consist of tuna sandwich on whole grain, water, tea, almonds, fruits, and sometimes triscuits with salsa
laugh.gif

Gonna throw in some more fruits and broccoli.

Quick question im trying to get more inshape, just get a bit more cut, really cant afford the gym at the mo can anyone reccommend me some stuff i can do at home or without the use of a gym, just trying to get a bit bigger?
All help will be much appreciated.

For interval training, does everyone do p90x?
nerd.gif

If so, did everyone buy theirs?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Appreciate all the help in here,
pimp.gif

Is it possible to lose stomach fat while still trying to gain weight?

I'm trying to get bigger and need to gain weight, but also have excess stomach fat I need to get rid of. 
laugh.gif

Would just running/doing abs more than normal cut it? While I still eat the same amount I was before?

I don't want to lose weight, just stomach fat. 

Originally Posted by LuigiTheKing

I'm trying to get bigger and need to gain weight, but also have excess stomach fat I need to get rid of. 
laugh.gif

Would just running/doing abs more than normal cut it? While I still eat the same amount I was before?

You can't gain and lose weight at the same time. Burning fat = losing weight and building muscle = gaining weight. The easiest way is to just bulk up (while adding fat) and not worry about excess fat. It'll take forever if you try to just put on pure muscle so just throw on both and when you're at the right weight just start burning the fat.

You also can't burn fat just from your stomach, you burn it from around the whole body. Doing abs won't get rid of the fat around your stomach. Just eat less calories than you burn, because running is pretty inefficient. Lift heavy, eat less and get more sleep.

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by LuigiTheKing

laugh.gif

You can't gain and lose weight at the same time. Burning fat = losing weight and building muscle = gaining weight. The easiest way is to just bulk up (while adding fat) and not worry about excess fat. It'll take forever if you try to just put on pure muscle so just throw on both and when you're at the right weight just start burning the fat.

You also can't burn fat just from your stomach, you burn it from around the whole body. Doing abs won't get rid of the fat around your stomach. Just eat less calories than you burn, because running is pretty inefficient. Lift heavy, eat less and get more sleep.
The thing about running is not it's immediate effects as far as I'm concerned. Say you run in the morning or do HIIT, then you can keep your metabolism up throughout the day to help burn fat. But for losing fat while gaining weight? That's impossible. Fat is lighter than muscle, but it takes time for muscle to build. I'd say it is impossible to lower your bf % while gaining mass, but it is possible to put on muscle while losing fat. 

Back
Top Bottom