STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I just did my last set of 405 on dl. I ****ed my back up on the last rep. That **** hit hurts from my back to my butt to my left foot

Stretching it out right now.
Tingly sensation that shot down? Sounds like a disc pinched a nerve.

Chill on the DLs bro. Really any exercise that extensively utilizes the lumbar region of your back.

IMG-20180721-WA0016.jpeg
Pee on it. That’ll do the trick.

Yea I'm avodiing any lower back lifts right now. It happened to me before but not this bad.

pull day... hit a rep PR with 405 x 6. previous was 5.
didnt even plan on lifting but this rain messed up my weekend plan so might as well have fun with it.

Shoulders
Lat raise front and side ss 5x12x12

Shoulder press on pulleys 4x15 w 5s on the way down

Lu laterals ss side laterals ss military press 4x10x10x10

Shoulder press machine 1x100

Rear delt fly w db 4x12

Then arms bunch of supersets that don’t matter.

pull day... hit a rep PR with 405 x 6. previous was 5.
didnt even plan on lifting but this rain messed up my weekend plan so might as well have fun with it.

I never thought about doing pull ups with those handles. Good work man.

Started swimming. Didn’t really remember how to properly do it lol. Watched some YouTubes went back and felt way better out there today. Didn’t realize how fire swimming laps is. Get a great workout in and feel no exhaustion or pain after.

Looking back to last year when I was doing 5x5 on bench....I really don't know why I stopped. Went from a 195 5x5 to 210 5x5 in less than 2 months before having some trouble at 215. I was coming close, but only gave it 4 tries. Tested my 1RM around that time too which ultimately became my all time PR at 255.

Looking at it though, right after that 1RM test in October, instead of going back to work on nailing that 5x5 at 215 I started doing stupid ****. Like, HORRIBLE programming for 2 months before I ditched barbell bench for DBs before coming back to BB bench in March and picking up 5/3/1 which I wasn't even properly following until like 2 months ago.

So now I'm faced with the choice between resetting 5/3/1 and doing it the RIGHT way OR hopping back on 5x5 and going from there. Again, why I decided to quit on that 5x5 I don't know. It took me 9 sessions to finally get past 200lbs 5x5. I quit at 4 at 215.

Either way, this is a reminder as to why you should keep a log and examine it. Have a plan, execute it, and check up on it frequently. I haven't really done that and I think I've gotten weaker and delayed a lot of progress since then. I haven't sat down and pre programmed a long term training routine, ever. I think I'll do that tomorrow. As of right now it's just kind of pairing exercises together as I go. Gotta change that.

most of my gains and PRs were done without a program except my DL which took me from 450 to 470 (ed coan DL program) + 5x5 on incline bench press which took me from repping 185 5x5 to 210 5x5.

programs are good, but you cant run them back to back to back thinking its gonna always produce a new PR for you. every program will eventually stop working in due time and you need to lay off it for a couple months to a year. ex. the 5x5 on incline stopped for me after 210lbs. never was able to hit 215 5x5 after many tries. decided to quit the 5x5 and started benching without a program but I just made sure I went hard af every time i was on the incline bench. then 2 months later decided to give 225 a go and i repped it 3 times. then the next time i repped it 4 times... then 5... then 6.

jen thompson (the world's greatest bencher in terms of wilk score) once said dont always worry about programs and RPE. just make sure you're going hard af everytime.

How long did you wait until beginning a new cycle?

No way you ran it back to back to back to back instantly

Finished it and then started a new one either the next week or took a week off from DL then started it.

Went heavy on bench for the first time in months. Worked up to a couple sets of singles at 295. Finished with few sets of paused reps at 225.

Db bench feet up
Bunch cable fly's from all angles
Weighted dips, worked up to two plates
Pulldowns
Skull crushers
Push ups
Leg raises

Started swimming. Didn’t really remember how to properly do it lol. Watched some YouTubes went back and felt way better out there today. Didn’t realize how fire swimming laps is. Get a great workout in and feel no exhaustion or pain after.

What vids you got? My gym has a pool and I’d like to get. A decent workout in but never sure how to track it

Went heavy on bench for the first time in months. Worked up to a couple sets of singles at 295. Finished with few sets of paused reps at 225.

Db bench feet up
Bunch cable fly's from all angles
Weighted dips, worked up to two plates
Pulldowns
Skull crushers
Push ups
Leg raises
Speaking of 295 I hit that ***** for 5 reps on my last set today :pimp::pimp::pimp:

Right knee is bothering me during squats. Can’t really describe it more than it just feels sore.

I haven’t done leg work in a week...

What vids you got? My gym has a pool and I’d like to get. A decent workout in but never sure how to track it

I just typed in freestyle breathing technique and beginner freestyle swimming in YouTube. Lots of good tips. Basics I got from it:

Breath a quick sharp breath through your mouth
Try to exhale constantly through nose when under
Don’t look too down or too forward
When you rotate to get air try not to over rotate and rotate just enoguh to get your mouth out of the water to get a quick grab of air.

Sticking with those basics for now. Was able to do a few laps end to end non stop today. Felt good.

Back
Top Bottom