STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

One of the coldest things I ever been told in my life was from an old basketball teammate I played with in middle school.

After playing with me for like 3-4 seasons him and I were getting into it for some reason (I forgot why) outside of the court. He told me the only reason I was on the team wasn’t because I was good, it was because I “took up over half the paint just standing there”.

I quit after that. It’s gym pre workout for me now.
I heading towards more gym work now. while I love basketball to death, you are now reaching that point of realization that your body and age can't keep up that much. especially my body ain't that athletic lean it was years ago. I was really good before and more of a scorer that can't miss and versatile fast. what I'm left now is my rebounds, defense and intimidating frame that does seem to scare away people. I miss scoring buckets though since I'm more of a supporting player now than a go-to guy. but I know for sure that I could score a bunch if I wanted to, my team just needed me more for other things.

87 = gluten/dairy...anybody who fully takes it out of their diet for atleast 10 consecutive days reports a dramatic improvement, not just in physical performance either, also hair/skin, studying ability, mental well being etc.

89 = Most fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Particularly stuff that wasn't available in the tropical environment and only became staples within recent centuries. Apples, Carrots, Celery, Lettuce, Peanut Butter. Not necessarily BAD for you, but what benefit do you get from them that couldn't be had tenfold from others?

which leads to...93. Average American has been fooled into thinking he eats too much meat, when in reality he's probably eating a quarter pound, give or take a decimal. Most African tribes on the outskirts of civilization may eat up to 2 lbs of meat per day. Hell, the bodybuilders and pro athletes living in America have been known to eat up to 5 lbs of meat a day. For the past decade I've been doubling up the patties on my hamburgers, and if theres hot dogs available I'll slide one of those in there two. When I'm eating chicken wings I'll chew off the bone caps at the end (cartilage). And people look at me like I'm crazy. Fact is I've only touched the surface in terms of removing stuff and incorporating new things in my diet.

where y’all getting this information from tho? honestly, the further any person gets from the standard american/western diet, the healthier they will generally be…it’s mostly the processed stuff that’s the culprit and not necessarily because they are so inherently bad for you but moreso, i think, because they are usually pretty calorie dense & highly/super palatable which make processed food really easy to over eat…

as much as the whole ‘super size me’ movie & similar experiments have sensationalized how bad fast food can be, someone could probably do relatively ok if they actual ate within reasonable maintenance calories/macros…

where y’all getting this information from tho? honestly, the further any person gets from the standard american/western diet, the healthier they will generally be…it’s mostly the processed stuff that’s the culprit and not necessarily because they are so inherently bad for you but moreso, i think, because they are usually pretty calorie dense & highly/super palatable which make processed food really easy to over eat…

as much as the whole ‘super size me’ movie & similar experiments have sensationalized how bad fast food can be, someone could probably do relatively ok if they actual ate within reasonable maintenance calories/macros…
it's not just because of those things but the cost as well. the thing is, highly processed food are cheaper and more affordable than what is considered as healthy food. also add the convenience factor of pre-made foods. I believe it is easier said than done to maintain your macros even if you check your calorie intake. the problem is that some of the ingredients would make your body go haywire and screw your body's equilibrium. salt, fat, carbs for instance can remain in your body for so long that even as you control your calories, those things would not go away, unless you would undergo detox.

Last edited:
it's not just because of those things but the cost as well. the thing is, highly processed food are cheaper and more affordable than what is considered as healthy food. also add the convenience factor of pre-made foods. I believe it is easier said than done to maintain your macros even if you check your calorie intake. the problem is that some of the ingredients would make your body go haywire and screw your body's equilibrium. salt, fat, carbs for instance can remain in your body for so long that even as you control your calories, those things would not go away, unless you would undergo detox.

good point, cost definitely plays a role too, as well as convenience…the way i look at, if you look a human nutrition throughout history, it’s obvious that humans of the past did not have abundance of food or would have been able to consistently be able to get there needs met consistently…so while living off fast food, even if controlling for calories & macros, is for sure sub optimal, it’s very likely amour ancestors while eating more ‘natural’ foods were likely also eating sub optimal

Man I'm about 25 years removed from middle school and I still practice crossing my shadow on the court.

Screenshot_20220907-121053_TikTok.jpg

:lol: this screams insecure

the funniest thing is hes trying to compare elite fighters to a 500lb deadlift... Which isn't even an "elite" number in powerlifting. That's the bare minimum.

Screenshot_20220907-121053_TikTok.jpg

:lol: this screams insecure

the funniest thing is hes trying to compare elite fighters to a 500lb deadlift... Which isn't even an "elite" number in powerlifting. That's the bare minimum.

hard to say it’s insecure, without the context, is dude just talking or responding to someone? it’s arguable that it doesn’t take much skill (which isn’t to say it doesn’t take skill(s) or to put down the sport of powerlifting) to lift things if you’re strong enough, which the same is less true, generally, in fighting…so, if 500lb deadlift is the metric, what he is saying would seem to be objectively true, only because there are more variables in fighting?

i have a lot of thoughts on this issue but don’t have the time to type it out rn

Basically it’s always been a beef / friction between power lifters and legitimate fighters. At the highest level I can get to, it’s a pissing contest.

The mature ones realize that the fighter could knock out the lifter, but that’s not the point.. they’re two different areas for two different purposes.

i have a lot of thoughts on this issue but don’t have the time to type it out rn

Basically it’s always been a beef / friction between power lifters and legitimate fighters. At the highest level I can get to, it’s a pissing contest.

The mature ones realize that the fighter could knock out the lifter, but that’s not the point.. they’re two different areas for two different purposes.

really? why??

At the highest level, neither one can do what the other one does so whys it even a discussion/argument?

Its like when pro athletes from other sports decide they want to do boxing all of a sudden. Sure they might be OK at it, but they cant compare to someone whos been training/fighting as long as that persons trained in basketball/football/whatever sport.

Just a silly argument all around.

really? why??
My guess would be basic male genetics / instinct of wanting to be top dog..

Power lifters are bigger / can lift more obviously.
Fighters can fight better / win in a literal fight, which to some is the end all be all.

I agree it’s stupid cause most fighters I come across are humble and don’t do this crap and most lifters I know aren’t interested in fighting like that.

It’s the select bunch that can be problematic.

My guess would be basic male genetics / instinct of wanting to be top dog..

Power lifters are bigger / can lift more obviously.
Fighters can fight better / win in a literal fight, which to some is the end all be all.

I agree it’s stupid cause most fighters I come across are humble and don’t do this crap and most lifters I know aren’t interested in fighting like that.

It’s the select bunch that can be problematic.

ah, that makes obvious sense…it’s just the male competition aspect. i can see how it would an even more inflammatory, #wouldthabeapun, thing with the popularity of of both mixed martial arts & the feats of strength that go viral on socials

Last edited:
hard to say it’s insecure, without the context, is dude just talking or responding to someone? it’s arguable that it doesn’t take much skill (which isn’t to say it doesn’t take skill(s) or to put down the sport of powerlifting) to lift things if you’re strong enough, which the same is less true, generally, in fighting…so, if 500lb deadlift is the metric, what he is saying would seem to be objectively true, only because there are more variables in fighting?

there is no context. It's a random TikTok post and he's talking to himself

generally in life, unless asked i do try to avoid giving advice, and even then i make an effort to provide caveats…that said i don’t mind receiving advisement because i can choose to use it or not but it’s usually coming from a good place/someone trying to look out!

hadn’t done heavy deadlifts for about month after i thought i had seriously strained something on a struggle backflip so i don’t know why i decided to try to hit a pr but i got pretty close…i usually record from the side but getting this angle i see a different things i could fix/make better

520 on pound plates.

Unracked 530 on calibrated plates and put the weight right back on the rack. **** felt like a mountain on my back :lol: didn't even attempt to squat it

maybe a dumb question: do calibrated plates ‘feel’ heavier? i often wonder how legit the weights are at the gyms i frequent because they are so beat 😂

maybe a dumb question: do calibrated plates ‘feel’ heavier? i often wonder how legit the weights are at the gyms i frequent because they are so beat 😂

Short answer: yes.

But you won't notice a difference until youre in 400 territory imo.

Calibrated plates start at 55lbs and they are much thinner so the weight is closer to your body

Back
Top Bottom