Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

oh yeah i tried decline today

i didnt even remember until the end of my lift

but i tried it w/2 plates just to try it. it's good i like how it feels, but i gotta try it early in the lift to really get a sense of it i guess. i wastoo tired by then, 2 plates felt heavy as hell after a few reps.

yo at 100 pages someone should start a new thread. this one looks pretty much dead

yeah, i know about 1g per pound of body weight, but is the protein as necessary for toning as it is for gaining? also, do your muscles need the same amount ofrecovery from toning that they need after heavy weight training?

Do you guys hop in the sauna when done working out at the gym? I just tried it for the first time this morning, pretty interesting. My skin was sweatingbullets
eek.gif
laugh.gif

What's toning? I'm guessing you mean working out with light weights and doing a high number of reps, but you're not really toning. Toning meansyou're reducing your bodyfat. Best way to do that is to make sure you do cardio on a regular basis. Just lift weights. You should be working most sets tofailure or close to it. If you're "toning" you probably don't need as much protein or calories for that matter, because you're probablynot doing much. Your muscle growth and increase in bodyweight comes from what and how much you eat, not how much weight you're lifting. Train as hard asyou can and allow time for the muscle to recover, then do cardio if you want to see more definition. Stop working the same muscle group the day afteryou've trained it, because you're doing two things:
- overtraining the muscle
- wasting your time in the gym.

Alot of guys when they haven't been lifting a long time do alot of the same stuff to keep themselves pumped up, like alot of pushups and bicep curls andtricep stuff almost every day cause they don't maintain the same look that much, but you're not allowing enough recovery time. The longer you'vebeen lifting, the more that pump stays with you so that it's not longer a pump, just solid muscle.

Always do more reps for toning and less weight 12-15

If I'm trying to bulk I do 8 reps max 4 sets, if I can do more then 8 reps on my first set I add more weight. My last set usually 6 reps.

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

What's toning? I'm guessing you mean working out with light weights and doing a high number of reps, but you're not really toning. Toning means you're reducing your bodyfat. Best way to do that is to make sure you do cardio on a regular basis. Just lift weights. You should be working most sets to failure or close to it. If you're "toning" you probably don't need as much protein or calories for that matter, because you're probably not doing much. Your muscle growth and increase in bodyweight comes from what and how much you eat, not how much weight you're lifting. Train as hard as you can and allow time for the muscle to recover, then do cardio if you want to see more definition.
you missed the boat on that one pretty hard. why do you think most women choose to lift lighter wieghts? if they lift heavy weights, you gain waytoo much muscle and don't create any definition. smaller weights make for higher and faster reps, and you end up doing the exact same amount of work in adifferent way. you still work until failure. there's a really big difference. and your muscle growth relies primarily on what you lift, not what you eat.still important to eat right, but not more important than the gym.

i read somewhere that for growth, 8 reps until failure is the best number, but who knows. everyone has theories, right?

Goddamnit this pisses me off. I need to find some new/dedicated gym partners because I havent been able to bench in quite a bit. I can't feel comfortablebenching more than 185 w/o a partner, especially since I need spotting at around the 200 lb range. I don't suppose any of your are in the Bay area huh?

you missed the boat on that one pretty hard. why do you think most women choose to lift lighter wieghts? if they lift heavy weights, you gain way too much muscle and don't create any definition. smaller weights make for higher and faster reps, and you end up doing the exact same amount of work in a different way. you still work until failure. there's a really big difference. and your muscle growth relies primarily on what you lift, not what you eat. still important to eat right, but not more important than the gym.

i read somewhere that for growth, 8 reps until failure is the best number, but who knows. everyone has theories, right?
Absolutely wrong. Women (most women) don't have enough naturally occuring testosterone to get big muscles. High reps are good butthere's no one specific rep range for toning vs. bulking, etc... How did I miss the boat on that one when you're trying to argue something based on"i read somewhere..." ?? You don't eat enough of the right foods, you're not lifting !@#$ which means no musclegrowth. You eat too much, you don't burn any fat, which means no "toning". I can't put it any more simple than that.

notice the space between those two lines? that signifies a new paragraph, representing a change in thought. maybe it would have been more clear had i indentedit.

you're not lifting ****, eh? 8 reps at 200= 1600 total. 16 reps at 100= 1600 total. strange phenomenon there. toning and cutting fat are not the samething. i think you're confused.

laugh.gif
are those last lines shots me?

Originally Posted by eeBS7eez

notice the space between those two lines? that signifies a new paragraph, representing a change in thought. maybe it would have been more clear had i indented it.

you're not lifting ****, eh? 8 reps at 200= 1600 total. 16 reps at 100= 1600 total. strange phenomenon there. toning and cutting fat are not the same thing. i think you're confused.

laugh.gif
dude come on. no need to get mad about it.

pana rican is 100% right, what you're saying is one of the most common myths/misconceptions about weighlifting.

you're right, most women don't do heavy weight for the reasons you said......but they aren't actually true.

light weight does not "tone," tone comes about from a decrease in body fat, through which greater muscle definition is revealed.

lift heavy or you're wasting your time.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

notice the space between those two lines? that signifies a new paragraph, representing a change in thought. maybe it would have been more clear had i indented it.

you're not lifting ****, eh? 8 reps at 200= 1600 total. 16 reps at 100= 1600 total. strange phenomenon there. toning and cutting fat are not the same thing. i think you're confused.

laugh.gif
dude come on. no need to get mad about it.

pana rican is 100% right, what you're saying is one of the most common myths/misconceptions about weighlifting.

you're right, most women don't do heavy weight for the reasons you said......but they aren't actually true.

light weight does not "tone," tone comes about from a decrease in body fat, through which greater muscle definition is revealed.

lift heavy or you're wasting your time.
QFT, Joseph and Pana are definitely right.

Basically your muscles can get bigger, or you can lose fat around them, toning doesn't really mean anything. Yes, different rep ranges get somewhatdifferent results, but any amount of reps above 12 or so mostly works the endurance of a muscle and as far as I know won't make much of a change in whatthe muscle looks like.

i tried incline/decline pressing today only used light weights and man....incline benching was the weirdest feeling ever

yeah, i know about 1g per pound of body weight, but is the protein as necessary for toning as it is for gaining? also, do your muscles need the same amount of recovery from toning that they need after heavy weight training?
a common myth I read on this workout thread is to take 1g protein per pound of body weight. This is not something that people should go by. Theaverage person, unless you are a pro body builder, takes in enough protein in their normal daily diet to help repair muscles. Excess protein is stored as FAT. For those of you who don't know much about protein, if you do take it, go on a cut diet without it after about 3 months of taking it(bulking) to get amore toned look. Other than that just cut out protein supplements the whole time and save yourself the effort of having to cut your diet.

^ Abs are a muscle. Just like any other body part. Dudes that work them everyday 100 crunches aren't getting anywhere. I would say twice a week max andwork them hard like any other body part.

They need time to recover. They aren't some super muscle.

Originally Posted by tml09

^ Abs are a muscle. Just like any other body part. Dudes that work them everyday 100 crunches aren't getting anywhere. I would say twice a week max and work them hard like any other body part.

cool

and how many reps daily you think I should start out with? since you said 100 won't get you anywhere

Originally Posted by airblaster503

yeah, i know about 1g per pound of body weight, but is the protein as necessary for toning as it is for gaining? also, do your muscles need the same amount of recovery from toning that they need after heavy weight training?
a common myth I read on this workout thread is to take 1g protein per pound of body weight. This is not something that people should go by. The average person, unless you are a pro body builder, takes in enough protein in their normal daily diet to help repair muscles. Excess protein is stored as FAT. For those of you who don't know much about protein, if you do take it, go on a cut diet without it after about 3 months of taking it(bulking) to get a more toned look. Other than that just cut out protein supplements the whole time and save yourself the effort of having to cut your diet.

This is true, but in getting your daily calorie requirements protein is a good choice when compared to carbohydrates and fats. The 1g/lb. may beoversimplifying (and for some too much), but when trying to lose weight it's actually more beneficial to have a higher percentage of calories from proteinthan when trying to gain weight.

Originally Posted by drock2010

^ Abs are a muscle. Just like any other body part. Dudes that work them everyday 100 crunches aren't getting anywhere. I would say twice a week max and work them hard like any other body part.

cool

and how many reps daily you think I should start out with? since you said 100 won't get you anywhere
I do 300 reps 4 times a week, works well for me.....don't listen to this guy

Originally Posted by TD The God

cool

300 sounds a lot

but 4 times a week sounds better then only 2
grin.gif

Originally Posted by TD The God

cool

300 sounds a lot

but 4 times a week sounds better then only 2
grin.gif
I do 5 different ab excercises in a row.....30 each exercise, I wait 3 minutes and doit again. Before all ab exercises, I do my core planks side, front, side.... I might even add in some weighted ab exercises

edit: if you are just starting out, you could start off with just 20 or 25 depending on how advanced you are in your training. As well, when I work my abs/core- I stick to one section a day.....lower back/obliques/middle section

I would imagine that, like any other muscle, abs would benefit more from heavier weights/more difficult exercises than from tons of reps.

Back
Top Bottom