Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

i do splits never really believed in rippetoe, right now i am on a cut.. blah it sucks.. but i already went from 230 to 205 in a matter of alittle over 2months.. and my lifts increased while doing it

How about:

A Simple beginner's Routine
You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% lessweight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose astarting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
Bench Presses
Bent-Over Rows
Overhead Barbell Presses
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than oneminute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

I have a question for you guys. Im having a lot of knee/back problems, mostly because of a deformation in my foot. Im trying to strengthen up, but I cant hitthe gym just yet (Also had a recurring problem, dislocated my shoulder 2+ years ago and because of an idiot doctor I never got treated). What kind ofexercises/workout methods can I utilize to get my strength up without overdoing it? Im planning on doing ab workouts and swimming every morning to get my upperbody in shape.

^ good way to do it.

well if your lower body is really in bad shape, also your shoulder.. which will effect your swimming

i would say just light cardio ( no full speed sprints ) swimming but dont over do- it

and mayby some body weight excersizes , pushups , pullups the works

then light weights wouldnt hurt neither

Originally Posted by Yan Can Cook

What is it?
Rippetoes is a strength program designed by Mark Rippetoe. It is designed mainly for beginners to give them a good strength base.

Who can benefit from it?
Though Rippetoe's is aimed at beginners, anyone can truly benefit from it.

Can I gain mass while on Rippetoe's?
Yes. The routine is aimed towards strength, but you can still make gains off of it so long as you're eating enough.

How much strength can I gain on this program?
You should be getting noticably stronger each workout. Aim to put 2.5 lbs
atleast on the bar each workout. If you absolutely can't add weight, do the weight you did last workout and move up the next.

Is Rippetoe's for everyone?
No. Most everyone can benefit from this, but for those who can't, look into one of the beginner routines posted in a sticky.

So here it is.

*do the SAME weight for all 3 sets

Workout A:
Squat-3x5
Bench Press-3x5
Deadlift-1x5
*2x8 Dips

Workout B:
Squat-3x5
Standing Military Press-3x5
Power Cleans(or Bent Over Barbell Rows)-3x5
*2x8 Chinups(palms facing you)

Week 1:
Day 1: Workout A
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Workout B
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Workout A
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Week 2
Day 1: Workout B
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Workout A
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Workout B
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Rotate between weeks 1 & 2.

what do you guys think of that? I got that off another forum.
I posted this earlier in the thread...Do it

http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5904

you dont really need the dips and pull ups...Rip says just stick w/ the routine

Originally Posted by wj4

Interesting article about steady cardio vs. HIIT.
http://gohealthygofit.com/steady-state-cardio-vs-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit/

I used to do HIIT after I lift about 2 times a week, in addition to my steady cardio before lifting. But now I'm going to switch things up and do a 30 min session of HIIT first and do 2 sessions a week of steady cardio after I lift. I'll report back my results in a month or so.

I started the new HIIT routine this morning and even though according to the treadmill I ran slower, ran less distant, and burned less calories (although not by much at all, about .2 MPH slower, .10 less miles, and about 30 less calories) (and yes I know the info on the treadmill aren't 100% accurate, but they serve well as marking stone)...I was sweating a lot more and having a harder time doing the HIIT than steady cardio.
what's your goal here? if you want to get the maximum benefits of lifting (strength and size) and HIIT (functional strength, aerobiccapacity, fat burning), do a brief warm up (5 min light cardio or a few lighter weight sets), go straight into your lifts, and then do hiit after that. if youadd on steady state cardio to that it's not going to benefit you more than the HIIT. i would say that you're better off adding a few more intervals ofHIIT than a load of steady state cardio if you want to burn fat. if you want to be an endurance athlete, then by all means, steady state cardio is your thing.

i assume you're doing the steady state cardio to burn calories (fat) right? when you do HIIT, even though you're spending less time at it, you burnmore calories overall.
- in steady state cardio, you body tends to be very efficient, burning the least amount of calories possible for the work you're doing. when you increaseyour speed, you need much larger amounts of energy, so you end up burning calories at a higher rate
- imagine a car. it will burn through a tank of gas far sooner and in a much shorter distance if you constantly floor it at every red light and stop sign anddrive as fast as possible on the freeway. on the other hand, the same tank of gas will last much longer and go for a much longer distance if you cruise, staythe speed limit, and accelerate slowly from stops. your body works the same way. calories are fuel, and your body uses mainly fat and carbs for fuel(sometimes protein, depending on your diet).

For those of you who are in college, when do you guys bulk up? I'm not trying to get fat in college. I'm thinking about bulking during the winter.

How long do you guys bulk for? The first time I bulked was in June and I did it for a month and I saw great results.

Also, I was doing DB Press the other day and I slightly injured my wrist. What can I do to make my wrists stronger? lol so many questions

My first program was Arnold's (Schwarzenegger) Golden Six. Did it for the 3 months and I think it worked pretty well.

He says that the aim of this program was simply to get big. It proved him right after a short period of time, he gained a lot of weight AND got bigger muscles.
"do this 3 times a week for 3 months. Try to increase the amount of weights every week"

1. Squats

Use as much weight as you can to allow for a total of 4*10. Rest 2 minutes between each set

2. Bench

Use a rather wide grip (hands 80cm apart). Do three sets of 10, rest 2 mins between sets

3. Pull-up

Use a wide grip, and do three sets and in each set you do the maximum amount of reps you can.

4. Barbell Behind Neck Press

basically trains your shoulders and arms by sitting straight on a chair with the back straight... and lifting free weights in a line from your shoulders, or neck, up til arms are straight, and then down. 4*10 with 2 min rest

5. I think this is dumbell... You train your biceps with a... pole? in standing position. 3*10 with 90secs rest

6. normal ab crunch

Hands behind the neck, knees bent. Do 3* max.

Originally Posted by Shaky3

Also, I was doing DB Press the other day and I slightly injured my wrist. What can I do to make my wrists stronger?
mrannek.gif

^You don't fap enough, do ya?

Haha, no but immediately around the wrist there is virtually very little muscle, so you probably wanna strength your forearms and such. I would do forearmcurls (just pick up a dumb bell and curl your wrist inward). That's what I've found to work for me.

Hey NT, Whats the best way to loose weight or loose that belly fat, is there any dietary supplements or any other kind of way you could do it. I've beenhitting the gym recently and watching what am eating but any help or tips will be helful. Thank You.

Losing fat consist mostly of dieting. More important though, is that you know what to eat. You wanna lose that belly fat you're gonna have to eat veryclean (i.e. low fat foods, less processed foods). Stick to things like Apples, and other fruits for snacks, eat lots of veggies, and when you eat meat - makesure it's lean. Those are the basics. To supplement your dieting, you should lift and do cardio (at least 25 min IMO).

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

Originally Posted by Vancity74

Originally Posted by cucumbercool

Motivation is watching UFC. These lightweights at 5'6 weighing 180+ Psh. Dudes are beasts.

You are one confused individual.
2 people:

Sean Sherk and Diego Sanchez.

These dudes cut a LOT of weight before their fights and 180 should be their normal walking weight.

I think BJ cuts a lot too but he does it months before I believe.
Saw this guys fight the other night. Despite his short height he looks like he could be a bouncer.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Losing fat consist mostly of dieting. More important though, is that you know what to eat. You wanna lose that belly fat you're gonna have to eat very clean (i.e. low fat foods, less processed foods). Stick to things like Apples, and other fruits for snacks, eat lots of veggies, and when you eat meat - make sure it's lean. Those are the basics. To supplement your dieting, you should lift and do cardio (at least 25 min IMO).

Diet is a huge part of it all- I went vegetarian about a month ago and the fat around my stomach is vanishing. You'll feel better when you eat betterfoods as well.

Anyone got a diet that's easy to make for one person, is healthy, doesn't omit meat (pause), and isn't super hardcore. Also a workout plan forsomeone who has only maybe 30 minutes free in a day. Yes I mean after I finish doing homework I usually take 30 minutes to do something else before I go tobed. Not really looking to be ripped or even really toned, just looking to stay in shape.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by wj4

http://gohealthygofit.com/steady-state-cardio-vs-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit/

I used to do HIIT after I lift about 2 times a week, in addition to my steady cardio before lifting. But now I'm going to switch things up and do a 30 min session of HIIT first and do 2 sessions a week of steady cardio after I lift. I'll report back my results in a month or so.

I started the new HIIT routine this morning and even though according to the treadmill I ran slower, ran less distant, and burned less calories (although not by much at all, about .2 MPH slower, .10 less miles, and about 30 less calories) (and yes I know the info on the treadmill aren't 100% accurate, but they serve well as marking stone)...I was sweating a lot more and having a harder time doing the HIIT than steady cardio.
what's your goal here? if you want to get the maximum benefits of lifting (strength and size) and HIIT (functional strength, aerobic capacity, fat burning), do a brief warm up (5 min light cardio or a few lighter weight sets), go straight into your lifts, and then do hiit after that. if you add on steady state cardio to that it's not going to benefit you more than the HIIT. i would say that you're better off adding a few more intervals of HIIT than a load of steady state cardio if you want to burn fat. if you want to be an endurance athlete, then by all means, steady state cardio is your thing.

i assume you're doing the steady state cardio to burn calories (fat) right? when you do HIIT, even though you're spending less time at it, you burn more calories overall.
- in steady state cardio, you body tends to be very efficient, burning the least amount of calories possible for the work you're doing. when you increase your speed, you need much larger amounts of energy, so you end up burning calories at a higher rate
- imagine a car. it will burn through a tank of gas far sooner and in a much shorter distance if you constantly floor it at every red light and stop sign and drive as fast as possible on the freeway. on the other hand, the same tank of gas will last much longer and go for a much longer distance if you cruise, stay the speed limit, and accelerate slowly from stops. your body works the same way. calories are fuel, and your body uses mainly fat and carbs for fuel (sometimes protein, depending on your diet).
I did the steady cardio because I've only heard about HIIT a month or so ago in Men's Health mag.
laugh.gif
But even at a steady pace, I wasstill lighting up everyone else around me. I was averaging about 4 miles in 30 mins. With HIIT this morning, I was at about 3.7 or so miles in the same time. I just like to switch things up from getting bored and plateauing.

Good analogy with the car BTW.

Yeah in terms of motivation, seeing yourself waste away in the mirror should be enough.

That's how it was for me half of this year, and finally I'm nearly 80% back into shape before I even started college. My only dilemma is defining andtrimming abdominal and waist areas. I've been running a good 7 miles each week and intend to go back up to my routine 21 miles a week in a few months.

My diet has almost drastically changed, but considering I do enjoy fine dining it's bit hard here and there. Any other suggestions for workout besidescrunch variations, running, and such. I'm thinking of substituting my current regiment by adding P90x in the equation (anyone tried it on here)?

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by wj4

what's your goal here? if you want to get the maximum benefits of lifting (strength and size) and HIIT (functional strength, aerobic capacity, fat burning), do a brief warm up (5 min light cardio or a few lighter weight sets), go straight into your lifts, and then do hiit after that. if you add on steady state cardio to that it's not going to benefit you more than the HIIT. i would say that you're better off adding a few more intervals of HIIT than a load of steady state cardio if you want to burn fat. if you want to be an endurance athlete, then by all means, steady state cardio is your thing.

i assume you're doing the steady state cardio to burn calories (fat) right? when you do HIIT, even though you're spending less time at it, you burn more calories overall.
- in steady state cardio, you body tends to be very efficient, burning the least amount of calories possible for the work you're doing. when you increase your speed, you need much larger amounts of energy, so you end up burning calories at a higher rate
- imagine a car. it will burn through a tank of gas far sooner and in a much shorter distance if you constantly floor it at every red light and stop sign and drive as fast as possible on the freeway. on the other hand, the same tank of gas will last much longer and go for a much longer distance if you cruise, stay the speed limit, and accelerate slowly from stops. your body works the same way. calories are fuel, and your body uses mainly fat and carbs for fuel (sometimes protein, depending on your diet).
I did the steady cardio because I've only heard about HIIT a month or so ago in Men's Health mag.
laugh.gif
But even at a steady pace, I was still lighting up everyone else around me. I was averaging about 4 miles in 30 mins. With HIIT this morning, I was at about 3.7 or so miles in the same time. I just like to switch things up from getting bored and plateauing.

Good analogy with the car BTW.
LOL, if your doing 30 mins of HIIT your doing it wrong. Your sprints should be HIGH HIGH intensity then a jog pace for the rest. By the end youshould feel like crap, on the verge of throwing up if your doing it wrong. I advise not doing it on a treadmill since you can only go up to 12.0 MPH and on adead sprint, your probably faster then that. Try it outside or on a track and you'll notice a crazy difference.

I usually do sprints up a hill, it makes me wanna puke after I'm done! It usually takes me between 15-20 mins to do about 15 runs up and down, yall thinkthats good or do you have any advice?

Love going to the gym. Joined 2 months back and I'm in the best shape of my life. My 6-pack is becoming visible, I can run a lot longer and faster, and allmy lifts have gone up. My diet basically consists of whole-grain foods and lots of lean meat.

I STILL have no real set routine. Thanks for the link I3. That HIIT stuff is really interesting to me, I'll read into that later so I can hopefullyincorporate it into my workout.

Back
Top Bottom