Stop talking about him. He'll be irrelevant by this time next year.

superman.jpg

Heard a new song by this dude today on the radio and it made me think about how many people hated this dude during the Superman era.  I can't remember how many times I heard, "He's a wack rapper who made a catchy song, the sooner you quit complaining about him, the sooner he'll disappear."

Hell, I swear to God I thought dude would fade to black after the Superman song.  I mean, there have been many other cats, who had more talent than him, but couldn't stay relevant after an initial hit.

So it made me wonder.  What separated him from other 1 hit wonders?  I don't listen to much of his music, but I can tell he's gotten a lot better.  But the thing about it is, most cats like him don't even get the chance to hone their skills, and still stay on. 

So what was it?  The teenybopper fan base?  The dance?  His humor?

Or are there other intangibles that factor into his longevity? 

If I had to guess, I'd say the reason he was able to prevail despite a gimmicky start was the fact that he put himself on.  The lil dude started off making youtube videos, and grinding.  It's funny to say, but his rise to fame was very organic. 

Lastly, the whole reason for me making this post is because I feel like many rappers in the game, and trying to get in the game can learn a whole from this soldier boy kid.

damn....son almost been on for 3 years!
eek.gif
........i dont know what his combination for success is, but it sure is working

im so far from being a fan of his music, but so close to a fan of his progression and hard work.....

he came with a new style of rap and song formats, and kids ate / still eating it up.......kudos to him

I don't know whether or not I can call this kid smart. Gucci may not be the most lyrical or talented but you can tell he knows what he's doin (kinda), but does Soulja really know what he's doing?

Originally Posted by bluedeniro

Fam, soulja boy is here for at least the next 3 years, get over it

did you read the OP at all??
roll.gif

anyway, i respect the dude's grind.

i didnt like him at all when he first dropped but i slowly became a fan. Cant hate the young mans grind and he is getting better. Def not of his OD tatoos tho

soulja boy appeals to kids, as long as hes making these songs and getting radio spins, he will continue to be successful. no matter how corny we think they are.

I can't call it either, but I do know this: the beats to ''Turn My Swag On'', ''Donk'', and ''Birdwalk'' were insane - that damn sure helps the cause...

You answered it. His rise to fame was organic. No labels no nothing. A young dude who could make hot beats and capitalizing on the rapid growth of youtube. It also helps to not be a 1 hit wonder if you have other hits. Once he switches it up and tries to be something he's not he'll disappear. But if he stays in his lane then he'll be here for a little while

he has twitter goin ham. thats why.

but i mess with soulja. he has gotten way better and i like the beats. just music to dance to and go crazy to.

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

So it made me wonder.  What separated him from other 1 hit wonders?  I don't listen to much of his music, but I can tell he's gotten a lot better.  But the thing about it is, most cats like him don't even get the chance to hone their skills, and still stay on. 

So what was it?  The teenybopper fan base?  The dance?  His humor?

Or are there other intangibles that factor into his longevity?
consistency.

Originally Posted by taimaishu123

he has twitter goin ham. thats why.

but i mess with soulja. he has gotten way better and i like the beats. just music to dance to and go crazy to.
his music lacks substance but he's getting close to being decent

That's because rap consumers have the the easiest to please, least sophisticated taste out there.

are you kidding al? i mean i don't listen to enough soulja boy (sp?) to know if he is getting better...but cmon that video is
sick.gif
sick.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by tonytw0tone

soulja boy appeals to kids, as long as hes making these songs and getting radio spins, he will continue to be successful. no matter how corny we think they are.
Not to mention he really stays in touch with his demo.

He's smarter than people give him credit for, he knows how to market himself. From a business standpoint, he's like a young 50.

he's like a gangster now
nerd.gif

i dont think ive spelled "gangster" with er in like 10 years
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom