Story Time Vol. Am I wrong?

So last night my soon-to-be-fiance' and I were relaxing on our couch watching ESPN. Her mother calls her phone and they talk for hours (exaggeration).  It's odd because she speaks to her mother almost everyday, in fact if my girl misses a day from speaking to her, her mother calls and says "Oh so you don't want to speak to me?." Are you serious?

Anyway, at the end of there talk, her mother asks if I'm home and my girl attempts to pass me the phone.  I whisper to my girl, "Hey I don't really feel like talking right now."  I suppose her mother heard me because her mother said "Oh, he doesn't want to be bothered right now? Ok, we'll talk later." 

After my girl hung up the phone, I apologized and told her that sometimes I'm just not in the mood to talk after a long day at the office and a good workout in the gym.  I told her that I'm cool with just sitting here with talking to her right now.  She seemed cool with everything and we went on with our evening.

Now today I'm sitting in the office and I receive the following text message from my girl:

"My mother text me this: I was hurt last night, why your boyfriend didn't want to talk to me, you better tell him that was not nice"

I responded saying, "Your mother is overreacting, there's nothing to be hurt about, I simply wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone, I even turned my ringer off last night"

NT, help me to understand. Am I jerk for saying I didn't want to speak? I figured telling the truth was better than getting on the phone with a non-interested attitude. Besides her mother and I speak all the time.  What's the big deal? Is the the kind of stuff I have to look forward to from my mother-in-law?  If so, oh boy! lol

So last night my soon-to-be-fiance' and I were relaxing on our couch watching ESPN. Her mother calls her phone and they talk for hours (exaggeration).  It's odd because she speaks to her mother almost everyday, in fact if my girl misses a day from speaking to her, her mother calls and says "Oh so you don't want to speak to me?." Are you serious?

Anyway, at the end of there talk, her mother asks if I'm home and my girl attempts to pass me the phone.  I whisper to my girl, "Hey I don't really feel like talking right now."  I suppose her mother heard me because her mother said "Oh, he doesn't want to be bothered right now? Ok, we'll talk later." 

After my girl hung up the phone, I apologized and told her that sometimes I'm just not in the mood to talk after a long day at the office and a good workout in the gym.  I told her that I'm cool with just sitting here with talking to her right now.  She seemed cool with everything and we went on with our evening.

Now today I'm sitting in the office and I receive the following text message from my girl:

"My mother text me this: I was hurt last night, why your boyfriend didn't want to talk to me, you better tell him that was not nice"

I responded saying, "Your mother is overreacting, there's nothing to be hurt about, I simply wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone, I even turned my ringer off last night"

NT, help me to understand. Am I jerk for saying I didn't want to speak? I figured telling the truth was better than getting on the phone with a non-interested attitude. Besides her mother and I speak all the time.  What's the big deal? Is the the kind of stuff I have to look forward to from my mother-in-law?  If so, oh boy! lol

I think you're good, man. You weren't being an @@# about it. You just weren't in the mood at the time. That mother is on some control freak type stuff and probably has a deeper issue with you or is insecure about losing a daughter... the phone call is just an excuse for her to be angry with you.

I think you're good, man. You weren't being an @@# about it. You just weren't in the mood at the time. That mother is on some control freak type stuff and probably has a deeper issue with you or is insecure about losing a daughter... the phone call is just an excuse for her to be angry with you.

Instead of whispering (where there is a slight chance you'd be heard), you should have just used a hand gesture (no drake) to let your girl know you didn't want to speak when she tried to pass the phone...

You're not in the wrong, but folks are sensitve like that...remember, you're not only marrying your girl....but you're also marrying her family in a sense as well. I'm sure talking it out in person will smooth things out. Good luck.

Instead of whispering (where there is a slight chance you'd be heard), you should have just used a hand gesture (no drake) to let your girl know you didn't want to speak when she tried to pass the phone...

You're not in the wrong, but folks are sensitve like that...remember, you're not only marrying your girl....but you're also marrying her family in a sense as well. I'm sure talking it out in person will smooth things out. Good luck.

I don't think you were wrong at all. I would call her mom to try and smooth things over though, not worth it to keep drama going.

I don't think you were wrong at all. I would call her mom to try and smooth things over though, not worth it to keep drama going.

Originally Posted by Dr FONClBrICS

A few seconds of talking wasn't gonna kill you.

this. you could have at least said hi, hope all is well...not really talkative today so can we catch up another time?

I figured telling the truth was better than getting on the phone with a non-interested attitude.

Originally Posted by Dr FONClBrICS

A few seconds of talking wasn't gonna kill you.

this. you could have at least said hi, hope all is well...not really talkative today so can we catch up another time?

I figured telling the truth was better than getting on the phone with a non-interested attitude.

youre good man. 
laugh.gif

her mom sounds like one of those fat, uptight busybodies you see in grocery stores wildin out because the cashier told them their coupon is invalid..
(please dont tell her i said this)

youre good man. 
laugh.gif

her mom sounds like one of those fat, uptight busybodies you see in grocery stores wildin out because the cashier told them their coupon is invalid..
(please dont tell her i said this)

You're not in the wrong for feeling that way, but her mother isn't overreacting either. If she felt snubbed, she felt snubbed. Now you know for next time.

and lets be honest how many of yall are cool enough with yourgirl/boyfreind parents to be like hi, im not really in the talk mode,lets do this another time
No. That's when you say you were just about to hop in the shower, can we talk another time?

You're not in the wrong for feeling that way, but her mother isn't overreacting either. If she felt snubbed, she felt snubbed. Now you know for next time.

and lets be honest how many of yall are cool enough with yourgirl/boyfreind parents to be like hi, im not really in the talk mode,lets do this another time
No. That's when you say you were just about to hop in the shower, can we talk another time?

sometimes you other NT'ers act like yall are angels also, yes we know he could have told the mother he wasn't in the talktive mood.

but he didn't. He came to us asking a question, and some of yall are quick to say i would have done this or something like that..

OP to answer you question you didn't do anything wrong, you just weren't in the mood thats all.. her mom should understand that, aswell as your girl..

and major props not saying or doing the wrong thing..

and lets be honest how many of yall are cool enough with your girl/boyfreind parents to be like hi, im not really in the talk mode, lets do this another time

sometimes you other NT'ers act like yall are angels also, yes we know he could have told the mother he wasn't in the talktive mood.

but he didn't. He came to us asking a question, and some of yall are quick to say i would have done this or something like that..

OP to answer you question you didn't do anything wrong, you just weren't in the mood thats all.. her mom should understand that, aswell as your girl..

and major props not saying or doing the wrong thing..

and lets be honest how many of yall are cool enough with your girl/boyfreind parents to be like hi, im not really in the talk mode, lets do this another time

Your biggest mistake was talking loud enough for the mother to hear you.
Smooth things out with your girl and just apologize even though you dont mean it. Might as well start getting used to it now since youll be doing a lot of apologizing if you plan on making your marriage work.

Your biggest mistake was talking loud enough for the mother to hear you.
Smooth things out with your girl and just apologize even though you dont mean it. Might as well start getting used to it now since youll be doing a lot of apologizing if you plan on making your marriage work.

you can always text back the mom personally and tell her something exactly what you said, that you were tired and didnt want to talk, and that you even turned off your ringer. She should understand. Dont sweat it

Like DoubleJs said, you could've handled it more discreetly, but you're still money. You get on that phone with her now, you'll be talking to her almost as much as your girl and you don't want that.

Like DoubleJs said, you could've handled it more discreetly, but you're still money. You get on that phone with her now, you'll be talking to her almost as much as your girl and you don't want that.

you can always text back the mom personally and tell her something exactly what you said, that you were tired and didnt want to talk, and that you even turned off your ringer. She should understand. Dont sweat it

Back
Top Bottom