Strategic questions for the basketball players of NT. vol. don't come at me bro

I consider myself a pretty good basketball player, and within the realm of intramural basketball at my school, I would even say I am an outstanding basketball player. My bread and butter is the midrange game. I'm at my best when I get the ball on the wing or at the top of the key, take a couple of dribbles, and pull up from elbow/free throw line. I'm tall enough that getting my shot off is never a problem.
But, and here is where my question comes in, when I'm being guarded very closely or aggressively by an opposing defender, I struggle to find a way to get the ball, and even when I get the ball, I struggle to "shake" the defender. I'm not a horrible ball handler, and I'm not slow, but I am by no means a player capable of eluding a defender by putting on a crazy dribbling display. So I need help figuring out a way to excel against defenders that attach themselves to you aggressively. I'm talking chest to chest defense. 

This is keeping me from being a dominant player in some situations, and it's keeping our team from intramural championship glory. Last spring, we made it to the finals, but got smashed once we got there. This loss was in large part due to the fact that my defender was literally attached to me like white on rice the whole game. My team struggled to get me the ball, and even when I got the ball I couldn't do anything other than throw up a contested jumper. I couldn't get to my spots at all.

So how do you deal with an over-aggressive defender? I'm hoping to get specific tips and pointers, not stuff like "work on a quicker first step" or "get stronger". Our summer league semis and finals are next week, so this is a short-term project.

I consider myself a pretty good basketball player, and within the realm of intramural basketball at my school, I would even say I am an outstanding basketball player. My bread and butter is the midrange game. I'm at my best when I get the ball on the wing or at the top of the key, take a couple of dribbles, and pull up from elbow/free throw line. I'm tall enough that getting my shot off is never a problem.
But, and here is where my question comes in, when I'm being guarded very closely or aggressively by an opposing defender, I struggle to find a way to get the ball, and even when I get the ball, I struggle to "shake" the defender. I'm not a horrible ball handler, and I'm not slow, but I am by no means a player capable of eluding a defender by putting on a crazy dribbling display. So I need help figuring out a way to excel against defenders that attach themselves to you aggressively. I'm talking chest to chest defense. 

This is keeping me from being a dominant player in some situations, and it's keeping our team from intramural championship glory. Last spring, we made it to the finals, but got smashed once we got there. This loss was in large part due to the fact that my defender was literally attached to me like white on rice the whole game. My team struggled to get me the ball, and even when I got the ball I couldn't do anything other than throw up a contested jumper. I couldn't get to my spots at all.

So how do you deal with an over-aggressive defender? I'm hoping to get specific tips and pointers, not stuff like "work on a quicker first step" or "get stronger". Our summer league semis and finals are next week, so this is a short-term project.

If a defender is guarding you closely, get low, reverse pivot, and stick your leg between the defenders leg. He will have no choice but to back up. That will give you the space to sweep through and either get a shot up, a ball fake and dribble into your bread and butter move, or drive to the basket. It helps having a quick first step too.

Carmello Anthony does this well, might want to see if you can find some videos of him doing this.

If a defender is guarding you closely, get low, reverse pivot, and stick your leg between the defenders leg. He will have no choice but to back up. That will give you the space to sweep through and either get a shot up, a ball fake and dribble into your bread and butter move, or drive to the basket. It helps having a quick first step too.

Carmello Anthony does this well, might want to see if you can find some videos of him doing this.

use your defender's over aggressiveness to your advantage. they usually fall harder for fakes, jab steps, etc.

create space with your body. you gotta be a little physical back.

screens.

Classy Freshman is spot on with the Melo, especially in the triple threat position. He's good at creating space, nudging his defender back some with his shoulder, etc.

Also Paul Pierce is good to watch, as he isn't particularly athletic, but he gets open somehow.

use your defender's over aggressiveness to your advantage. they usually fall harder for fakes, jab steps, etc.

screens.

Classy Freshman is spot on with the Melo, especially in the triple threat position. He's good at creating space, nudging his defender back some with his shoulder, etc.

Also Paul Pierce is good to watch, as he isn't particularly athletic, but he gets open somehow.

i usually like to fake an injury...walk back on offense and pretend like him hobbling that way the defender kind of lets up because he doesnt think im gonna get the ball. But you can only use that strategy a couple times a game.
smile.gif

But forreal...Get guys to screen for you. 60% percent of the time it works every time.

i usually like to fake an injury...walk back on offense and pretend like him hobbling that way the defender kind of lets up because he doesnt think im gonna get the ball. But you can only use that strategy a couple times a game.
smile.gif

But forreal...Get guys to screen for you. 60% percent of the time it works every time.

Movement without the ball, a lot of back door cuts & setting screens (you setting the screen) both of these usually will free you up some.

Movement without the ball, a lot of back door cuts & setting screens (you setting the screen) both of these usually will free you up some.

I'm interested in this as well. I would consider the strongest point in my game my ability as a spot up shooter. The problem with guys setting screens in pick up ball is that they usually set some weak !++ screen 'just to do it.' Like they do it just to fill up space on the play without being really effective at all... So its hard for guys like me who are not as quick and athletic as most guards to get open shots.

Also, respect for having a nice mid range game my man... Rarely do you see people with a wet mid range jumper but those who have it off the dribble are usually killers.

I'm interested in this as well. I would consider the strongest point in my game my ability as a spot up shooter. The problem with guys setting screens in pick up ball is that they usually set some weak !++ screen 'just to do it.' Like they do it just to fill up space on the play without being really effective at all... So its hard for guys like me who are not as quick and athletic as most guards to get open shots.

Also, respect for having a nice mid range game my man... Rarely do you see people with a wet mid range jumper but those who have it off the dribble are usually killers.

and even when I get the ball, I struggle to "shake" the defender. I'm not a horrible ball handler, and I'm not slow, but I am by no means a player capable of eluding a defender by putting on a crazy dribbling display.
You don't necessarily have to have crazy handles to shake a defender.  It's all about ball fakes and [Bobby Knight] shot fakes [/Bobby Knight].

If your mid range game is as wet as you described, you should be $ incorporating this into your game.

Also, when you get the ball don't be quick to kill your dribble (don't put the ball on the floor right away).  It sounds like you need to step your pivot game up.  Work on incorporating pivots and jab steps along w/ ball fakes and you should see much improvement.  I would post some vids but there are a million vids you can easily find on YouTube.

Well good defense is good defense, if he's a skilled defender and doesn't wear down you've got to accept that you're going to be less productive than usual, and your team has to step up.

How are fouls called, if they're called at all? Most coaches will tell you to use the defender's aggressiveness against them, by using fakes and hesitation moves in order to draw contact or draw the defender in. Once the defender bites on the fake, or moves in off the hesitation, you blow by him. Also, try catching the ball further out. Once the catch is made drive hard to your spot and pull up. Defense is reactionary so a strong drive with a quick pull up should allow you plenty of space to get your shot off.

Make sure you make him work on both ends of the floor. Playing chest to chest defense is tiring, and if you make him work there's no way he will be as dogged in the latter stages of the game.

I'd also suggest you work on some plays with your squad. Teamwork can beat any defense. If your midrange game is critical for your team's chances you have to work together to get yourself scoring chances. Try running off a screen or multiple screens, and work on timing with your teammates. The key is to catch the ball at your spot right after you come off the screen. This takes a bit of practice to get right. You can also make tight defenders pay with the backdoor screen and cut.

Well good defense is good defense, if he's a skilled defender and doesn't wear down you've got to accept that you're going to be less productive than usual, and your team has to step up.

How are fouls called, if they're called at all? Most coaches will tell you to use the defender's aggressiveness against them, by using fakes and hesitation moves in order to draw contact or draw the defender in. Once the defender bites on the fake, or moves in off the hesitation, you blow by him. Also, try catching the ball further out. Once the catch is made drive hard to your spot and pull up. Defense is reactionary so a strong drive with a quick pull up should allow you plenty of space to get your shot off.

Make sure you make him work on both ends of the floor. Playing chest to chest defense is tiring, and if you make him work there's no way he will be as dogged in the latter stages of the game.

I'd also suggest you work on some plays with your squad. Teamwork can beat any defense. If your midrange game is critical for your team's chances you have to work together to get yourself scoring chances. Try running off a screen or multiple screens, and work on timing with your teammates. The key is to catch the ball at your spot right after you come off the screen. This takes a bit of practice to get right. You can also make tight defenders pay with the backdoor screen and cut.

and even when I get the ball, I struggle to "shake" the defender. I'm not a horrible ball handler, and I'm not slow, but I am by no means a player capable of eluding a defender by putting on a crazy dribbling display.
You don't necessarily have to have crazy handles to shake a defender.  It's all about ball fakes and [Bobby Knight] shot fakes [/Bobby Knight].

If your mid range game is as wet as you described, you should be $ incorporating this into your game.

Also, when you get the ball don't be quick to kill your dribble (don't put the ball on the floor right away).  It sounds like you need to step your pivot game up.  Work on incorporating pivots and jab steps along w/ ball fakes and you should see much improvement.  I would post some vids but there are a million vids you can easily find on YouTube.

Not to be an %*$, but if you're a "pretty good" player like you claim you should be able to get to the rim at will. But to kinda answer your question, like others have said, use picks from your teammates to create space and go from there

Not to be an %*$, but if you're a "pretty good" player like you claim you should be able to get to the rim at will. But to kinda answer your question, like others have said, use picks from your teammates to create space and go from there

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

screens.

This.  You dont have to be overly agressive to be a good defender, so the ones that are, usually arent that technical with the D. pause.  Use their flaws against them.  Be smart, savvy.  pen their arm down, put the tip on you shoe on the toe of theirs, if their weight is on your  back, quick pivot to knock them off balance.  These are low key maneuvers that make gettin the ball easier for you.  Once you get it, be clever.  if your handle is weak, get in the gym and make it strong. if you're weak, get in the gym and get strong.  you say you're a shooter, so in the game, make a few, then your defender has to respect your shot. On the next time, pump fake, or while you're dribbling, hit him with a hesitation move, dont pick up the dribble, just sell it that you're about to shoot.  if you're good they'll bite and leave the ground to try n block you, you can either breeze past them. If they just get off balance, they'll try n jump in front of you to reset so you hit em with that drive fake and back step while they're off balance, then you just pull up for the open shot.  Check out deron williams, he does this often.  Dont shy from trying new things. 

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

screens.

This.  You dont have to be overly agressive to be a good defender, so the ones that are, usually arent that technical with the D. pause.  Use their flaws against them.  Be smart, savvy.  pen their arm down, put the tip on you shoe on the toe of theirs, if their weight is on your  back, quick pivot to knock them off balance.  These are low key maneuvers that make gettin the ball easier for you.  Once you get it, be clever.  if your handle is weak, get in the gym and make it strong. if you're weak, get in the gym and get strong.  you say you're a shooter, so in the game, make a few, then your defender has to respect your shot. On the next time, pump fake, or while you're dribbling, hit him with a hesitation move, dont pick up the dribble, just sell it that you're about to shoot.  if you're good they'll bite and leave the ground to try n block you, you can either breeze past them. If they just get off balance, they'll try n jump in front of you to reset so you hit em with that drive fake and back step while they're off balance, then you just pull up for the open shot.  Check out deron williams, he does this often.  Dont shy from trying new things. 

Step into the defender, forcing him to take a step back, then he is back into a short close-out situation (he is running at you as opposed to both of you being stationary in terms of the basket.) Then as he approaches you (assuming he does, if he doesn't, then you ought to just shoot the open shot) again in a close-out situation put the ball on the floor in an attempt to beat him off the dribble, make sure you drop your shoulder and really convince him you are trying to go all of the way to the rim (if he gives this up, take the layup), but if he cuts you off and you "sell drive" sufficiently, you ought to be able to "stride" into your shot. (meaning take a 1, 2 step into the pullup jump shot, as all of his momentum is traveling towards the rim while you are elevating vertically).

Step into the defender, forcing him to take a step back, then he is back into a short close-out situation (he is running at you as opposed to both of you being stationary in terms of the basket.) Then as he approaches you (assuming he does, if he doesn't, then you ought to just shoot the open shot) again in a close-out situation put the ball on the floor in an attempt to beat him off the dribble, make sure you drop your shoulder and really convince him you are trying to go all of the way to the rim (if he gives this up, take the layup), but if he cuts you off and you "sell drive" sufficiently, you ought to be able to "stride" into your shot. (meaning take a 1, 2 step into the pullup jump shot, as all of his momentum is traveling towards the rim while you are elevating vertically).

From what I gather you are facing the basket most of the time on offense. Try going to your spot without the ball. Once it is fed to you keep your back to him. If he stays tight and you can feel him on you just spin into the lane and go for a layup or pull up for a short jumper. Even a player without speed can spin on someone who is touching him. After that try the move again and instead of spinning just turn your head quickly in the same direction. He should take at least a step into the lane off of you anticipating a spin. Instead you just pivot so you are facing the goal and pull the shot. This may help you as it doesn't require much speed or dribbling ability.

After that he will go for head fakes, jabs, pump fakes, etc. Make the game easy for yourself.

Honestly I feel a big scoring game coming on when someone bodies me. Far easier to set that kind of defender up than someone with quickness who gives a little space.

Usually a player is just bodying you because it discourages your teammates from passing the ball to you. Most rec players have a tough time making a pass to a player with little space between him and the defender. I use this all the time at the gym in pickup games. Even though I hate to admit it age is starting to slow me down, but my teammates usually expect me to take the other teams biggest threat. My biggest strength is I'm 6'1" with a 6'7" wingspan. So I play great players close when they don't have the ball. It takes an excellent passer to get them the ball. Excellent passers are rare. Many time I hear my cover saying to his teammates: "Get me the ball." They always say the same thing back: "I can't." I know I'm doing my job when I hear this. Plus it helps me from getting abused.

Back
Top Bottom