Supreme Court Strikes Down DOMA Vol: IN B4 NINJAHOOD

By 
STEPHANIE CONDON /
CBS NEWS/  June 26, 2013, 10:05 AM
[h1]Supreme Court strikes down DOMA[/h1]
SupremeCourt_AP209256454344_max_620x350.jpg

Gay rights advocate Vin Testa waves a rainbow flag in front of the Supreme Court at sun up in Washington, Wednesday, June 26, 2013. Justices are expected to hand down major rulings on two gay marriage cases that could impact same-sex couples across the country. One is a challenge to California's voter-enacted ban on same-sex marriage. The other is a challenge to a provision of federal law that prevents legally married gay couples from receiving a range of tax, health and pension benefits. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite) /  AP

The gay rights movement saw a significant victory at the Supreme Court Wednesday, where the justices struck down part of a law that prohibits federal recognition of same-sex marriages.

In a 5-4 ruling, the court struck down Section 3 of the 17-year-old Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), a provision of the law that denies federal benefits -- like Social Security benefits or the ability to file joint tax returns -- to same-sex couples legally married.

"DOMA is unconstitutional as a deprivation of the equal liberty of persons that is protected by the Fifth Amendment," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote for the majority.

The impact of the DOMA case, United States v. Windsor, is clear for the nation's approximately 130,000 legally married same-sex couples who were previously denied federal benefits under Section 3. That provision impacts around 1,100 federal laws, including veterans' benefits, family medical leave and tax laws.

DOMA, passed by Congress and signed by President Clinton in 1996, was challenged by Edith Windsor, who lived with her partner Thea Spyer in New York for more than four decades. They finally married in 2007, and when Spyer died in 2009, she left Windsor her estate. Because DOMA didn't recognize their marriage -- even though the state of New York did -- the IRS hit Windsor with $363,053 in estate taxes.

[emoji]169[/emoji] 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

That's it.  I'm gonna go marry a pig today.

Last edited:
That's good for them, and it's liberating. 

I'm against any form of oppression. 

Equality for all.
actually for folks who are low information types...

DOMA ruling = da feds can't hold tax benefits to states that deemed gay marriage legal... 11ish of them...all other states

that dont consider it legal are uneffected. da MERITS of gay marriage were not even touched

prop 8 rulling = da group who advocated da enforcement for da rulling since da state decided to not uphold da vote of da people

weren't qualified to do so, once again da MERITS of gay marriage were once again not touched.

lets not get this twisted folks, like i said before...straight up tax issue, that does NOT legalize gay marriage nationwide.

im sleep doe.

Equality for all.

DOMA ruling = da feds can't hold tax benefits to states that deemed gay marriage legal... 11ish of them...all other states

that dont consider it legal are uneffected. da MERITS of gay marriage were not even touched

prop 8 rulling = da group who advocated da enforcement for da rulling since da state decided to not uphold da vote of da people

weren't qualified to do so, once again da MERITS of gay marriage were once again not touched.

lets not get this twisted folks, like i said before...straight up tax issue, that does NOT legalize gay marriage nationwide.

im sleep doe.
So are you for it or against it?

Equality for all.

im sleep doe.

No **** sherlock.

This is a step in the right direction to what will ultimately be, what I said, equality for all.

No matter how much you hate gay people, eventually in our lifetime, 50 states will legalize gay marriage.

Sounds a lot like their problem.
Some within the establishment have held similar views towards minorities for centuries. 

Not cool. 
We're talking about a joke on a message board versus people that have influence over public policy.  My joke was actually poking fun at people that believe such stupidity, anyways.  If anyone should be upset over it, it's the insane religious conservatives that say things like that with a straight face.

Last edited:
We're talking about a joke on a message board versus people that have influence over public policy.  My joke was actually poking fun at people that believe such stupidity, anyways.  If anyone should be upset over it, it's the insane religious conservatives that say things like that with a straight face.
And...what's your point? 

Sounds a lot like their problem.

Some within the establishment have held similar views towards minorities for centuries. 

Not cool. 

You dont see how somebody on NT that might be gay, might be offended by you comparing same-sex marriage to marrying a pig?

And...what's your point? 
It has absolutely no impact on anything, particularly when I'm poking fun of those that will be on the wrong side of history.

It'll be interesting to see Ninjahood adapt to the Supreme Court's ruling. He's kept a "It's whatever da Supreme Court says.." mantra when spewing his nonsense. If DOMA is completely struck down, Ninjahood will then become okay with gay marriage...and it'd be solely by his standards.

I figured this was going to happen.

I'm personally don't think marriage should have ever been a part of the government, but kept within the confines of religion, which is where it came from.

Meh.

Back
Top Bottom