Swimming Experts? Can someone school me on this new swimsuit

lawdog1

Supporter
I keep reading that some new kind of swimsuit is causing swimming records to fall left and right and had a hand in Mike Phelps getting beat for the 1st time in8 years or something. However, I've yet to find an explanation of what makes the suit so special. Sure, I could Google it, but I thought I'd try NTfirst. Can a suit really make that much difference? In pictures, the new suit looks pretty much the same as what I've seen swimmers wearing for a whilenow.

Originally Posted by lawdog1

I keep reading that some new kind of swimsuit is causing swimming records to fall left and right and had a hand in Mike Phelps getting beat for the 1st time in 8 years or something. However, I've yet to find an explanation of what makes the suit so special. Sure, I could Google it, but I thought I'd try NT first. Can a suit really make that much difference? In pictures, the new suit looks pretty much the same as what I've seen swimmers wearing for a while now.
if you had the skin of a seal, you would swim a lot faster. thats the only way i can think to describe it. i think one of them even traps air inthe suit as well so you float better

Sure you could Google first and try NT later.

My goodness, you're that lazy? you already have the power of the internet in the palm of your hands. Do some research.

Basically the suit reduces resistance and turbulence caused by the shape of the human body. It allows the swimmer to move through the water much faster incomparison to non-suit wearers. I learned alot of this watchin the olympics last summer. The science behind it is prettty interesting. ie fluid dynamics, etc

good you used google and anyway FINA is banned all performance suits like that Glide X and LZR by May 2010. So all those kids who bought the LZR suits for like$600 are SOL.

I had a few friends on the swim team at the college I went to, LETS GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!! but they used to wear these suits and they called them sharkscales....they were expensive to buy (they were all sponsored swimmers so no cost to them), and the kicker was they were only good for a few times, afterawhile the suits "streamline-ness" wore off....

crazy how not smooth your skin is compared to a synthetic woven fiber......

Ryan Lochte said something on the Preston and Steve radio show that it's kinda like swimming on a surf board
eek.gif

phelp's fault for not switching suits ... the german dude said the new suit took off 2 seconds ... but yeh increased buoyancy

Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

phelp's fault for not switching suits ... the german dude said the new suit took off 2 seconds ... but yeh increased buoyancy
heard it was more like 5 which is crazy within it self

Originally Posted by vcshoxj6

My goodness, you're that lazy? you already have the power of the internet in the palm of your hands. Do some research.

If 100% of NT used this thought pattern, half of the threads on this site wouldnt exist. (school me on ______, put me on _______, why is it that _____, hasthere ever been _____, etc)

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by vcshoxj6

If 100% of NT used this thought pattern, half of the threads on this site wouldnt exist. (school me on ______, put me on _______, why is it that _____, has there ever been _____, etc)
So true. Anyway, I started this thread not out of laziness but because -- and call me crazy if you want -- I was genuinely interested in whetheranyone on this board (and this forum in particular) would have any insight on it. I thought it might be a little more interesting to hear from someone who hasexperience with this stuff than to just read some article I found on Google.

Back
Top Bottom