T-Mobile Project Dark- $50 Unlimited Everything Plan!? UPDATE: IT'S UP!!! T-Mobile.com!!!

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Originally Posted by ISRAEL5EKLA

If you ain't in corporate America there's no need for you having such a phone.
I am in the business of National Intelligence and National Defense...I wish I would carry a damn Sidekick. That's like a grown %%% man with a real job driving a Honda Civic with those lawnmower sounding exhausts and those huge %%% ugly rear wings with a flourescent green paintjob and orange stripes.

Like is this even really a debate? A Sidekick versus a Blackberry? When you have the need for the ultimate communication device and still want to look PROFESSIONAL you effs with a Berry. I remember one time I was at this notoriusly long left hand turn light...within the time I was waiting for the %@@!#* to turn green I sent out an important document...accepted a meeting invite via Exchange, BBM'ed my chick to let her know to defrost the boneless skinless breast, and then skimmed an email that was INSTANTLY pushed to my phone. I remember saying to myself, 'aint nothing messing with BB.

Notice the next time you take a flight, and the plane lands...you know the part when you are allowed toturn on your phones...look and listen closely at all the new email notification sounds you hear and how many people are flipping out their Berries. Also with the Bold, the screen is so damn clear and bright that I usually have TV series (Weeds, The Unit, etc.) on my MiniSD that I watch when flying. The included headphones are nice as all get up, but with the Beats By Dr. Dre headphones it is CRAZY.

Sidekicks are not bad specwise, actually kinda feature packed, but let's not get stupid here...it's not seeing a BB.

Thank you, kind sir. Glad someone shares my sentiments. When it comes to multitasking, there isn't much effin' with a BB. Period.

function >>>>>>> form

Agreed, although form is important. That said, BB Bold, 9700, etc. > Sidekick. Similar specs. Better and cleaner form factor, in my opinion. Like Isaid, the swivel +@#$ was cool back in college.

NT isn't NT without ninjahood defending the Sidekick.

Truth is 80% of us has Sidekicks when they first dropped, especially during the Sidekick 2. Don't down it just because you moved on. The phone still holdsit's weight, it wouldn't be on it's 5-6th one.

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

NT isn't NT without ninjahood defending the Sidekick.

Truth is 80% of us has Sidekicks when they first dropped, especially during the Sidekick 2. Don't down it just because you moved on. The phone still holds it's weight, it wouldn't be on it's 5-6th one.

QFT. NT is notorious for bandwagoning. When SKs dropped they were all over them joints. Then once BBs became popular they became the IN thing on NT whentruth is most on here don't even know how to use a BB and get it only because everyone else have one and they wanna fit it. If the BB works for you thencontinue on with it and if the SK works for you then do the same as well, but don't try to knock someone else because they're not using what you'reusing. A cell phone doesn't make you a grown man, your actions do.

yea i've had SKs since 04-08 and it was a great phone. The best keypad and AIM out there IMO.

Yall heard it from me.. first i bet 9 times out of 10 this plan willhave a 3-4 year contract attached.. This price cut would seriously effect there revenue ..there not gonna do it unless they can have a trick up there sleevestoo it.. imagine people pay 135 before tax for unl everything with data.. from 135+tax to 50+tax for everyone will lose them more a month then this sidekickmess has lost them put together.. people stay with them on average 2-3 years ive had customers still faithful since voicetream so 3-4 year contracts are highlypossible

i'm guilty for having an SK at age 24, but i quickly grew out of it and discovered smartphones and now the iphone (i can't see myself having any otherphone than the iphone). i don't even recommend SK's for teens when BB's are damn near FREE. i'd NEVER use a BB or windows-based phone (all ofthe updates and multiple steps to access something on windows-based phones us a pain... t-mo dash), but i'd pick them over a SK any day.

Yall heard it from me.. first i bet 9 times out of 10 this plan will have a 3-4 year contract attached.. This price cut would seriously effect there revenue ..there not gonna do it unless they can have a trick up there sleeves too it.. imagine people pay 135 before tax for unl everything with data.. from 135+tax to 50+tax for everyone will lose them more a month then this sidekick mess has lost them put together.. people stay with them on average 2-3 years ive had customers still faithful since voicetream so 3-4 year contracts are highly possible

Ill be back in a minute.

My-T.

im just trying to figure out who started this whole "blackberry is only for proffesionals" and "sidekicks are for 12 year olds"...

i own a blackberry, but i dont look down upon a man who owns a sidekick.

phones are phones...elder watson you sound like an idiot. seriously.

Originally Posted by CashmereThought96

Yall heard it from me.. first i bet 9 times out of 10 this plan will have a 3-4 year contract attached.. This price cut would seriously effect there revenue ..there not gonna do it unless they can have a trick up there sleeves too it.. imagine people pay 135 before tax for unl everything with data.. from 135+tax to 50+tax for everyone will lose them more a month then this sidekick mess has lost them put together.. people stay with them on average 2-3 years ive had customers still faithful since voicetream so 3-4 year contracts are highly possible
Since you're apparently an industry insider, tell me what each contract with data usually nets in profit, per user for T-Mobile. Also, whatdoes each contract element bring as a percentage of revenue to T-mobile (ie - voice per min, data, and txt).

Originally Posted by jose cansec0

im just trying to figure out who started this whole "blackberry is only for proffesionals" and "sidekicks are for 12 year olds"...

i own a blackberry, but i dont look down upon a man who owns a sidekick.

phones are phones...elder watson you sound like an idiot. seriously.

He is on his high horse.

Anyways, 3-4 year contract aint bad. Atleast for those who know they arent going to be switching providers and whatnot. As long as they have an upgrade every 2years, things should be straight. I dont mind a 3-4 year contract when unlimited everything is $50 a month. Why switch?

Will be getting that 9700 just for a change.

Honestly though, 9700 or mytouch? Only thing about the mytouch is that there is no physical keyboard, but I love the different apps you can download and theway Android runs when it comes to text and web browsing. Can BB download apps and whatnot?

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

is this dude really saying sidekicks are just as good as smartphones ?

lmaooooooooooooo
function > form, did you even read his posts?
grin.gif

Interesting article describing the cons of the rumored $50 all included plan. It's certainly just one opinion on the matter, but interesting to consideranyway. I agree with some of the problems it mentions of course, influx of new customers could hurt T-Mobile's customer service and contribute to slowerspeeds for everyone.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Achtung, T-Mobile: if Project Dark is $50 unlimited, you're in trouble[/h2]
by Chris Ziegler posted Oct 12th 2009 at 2:00AM

n900-side-rm-eng.jpg

Put yourself in T-Mobile USA's shoes for a moment: rumor has it that the guys who pay the bills aren't happy. History, happenstance, and the realities of electromagnetics have left you with an oddball 3G frequency that literally no other carrier in the world uses (at least, not for HSPA). Larger competitors don't take you as seriously as you'd like, and you don't have smaller ones -- they're all regionals who don't play in the same space you do. So what's your next move?
Rumors have been swirling the past few days about a "Project Dark" (or "Black," depending on who you believe) that revolves around a few key strategies designed to turn the entire industry upside down by rapidly pilfering market share from T-Mobile's competition -- possibly to the point of leapfrogging Sprint. The first element to this is allegedly a barrage of data-rich devices including two Nokia Nseries (the N900 being one of them) and a continued heavy push to stay the Android market leader through introductions like the Motorola CLIQ and Samsung Behold II. We're totally cool with that part -- T-Mobile's investing heavily in its 3G market lately, literally lighting up new markets every few days, and it only makes sense that they'd want devices ready and able to take advantage of those speeds. The next part says that Dark will see 21Mbps HSPA+ get rolled out at a breakneck pace, presumably designed to put pressure on AT&T which is still in the midst of a less sensational 7.2Mbps introduction. Neither the handset strategy nor the 21Mbps plans are really baseless rumors; with the exception of a single unnamed Nokia, all of the phones mentioned for Dark are very real, and T-Mobile's senior vice president of engineering operations has gone on record committing to a national HSPA+ rollout next year. It's all happening -- call it Dark, Black, Light, Blue, Magenta, whatever you want.

That brings us to the final tenet of Dark, which has T-Mobile planning a blockbuster $50 all-you-can-eat plan that would undercut its nearest national competitor -- Sprint, with its Simply Everything plan -- by a ridiculous $50 (AT&T's recently-announced unlimited prepaid plan comes in at $60, but it lacks data, the most critical element here). Sounds enticing, doesn't it? Too good to be true, even, but we don't doubt T-Mobile would do it just to shake things up, especially since they've always had a reputation for undercutting the competition.

Unfortunately, it's a fool's game -- and if it happens, we're pretty sure it's going to end in tears. Here's why:
  • Boost Mobile -- operating on Nextel's historically robust network -- had bouts of trouble with the influx of subscriber adds brought about by its own $50 unlimited plan, and that was on a totally different scale: the phones aren't nearly as interesting and 3G data simply doesn't exist. When potential customers realize they can get, say, an N900 or a CLIQ and stream Pandora or last.fm until the cows come home for that same $50, there'll be a run on stores, riots in the streets, overturned cars, the whole nine yards. And that's before 10,000 new customers a day get home, turn on their phones, start downloading apps, make Skype calls, and cause cell sites to spontaneously combust.
  • Capping your potential revenue per customer at $50 a month isn't a recipe for heavy capital reinvestment, which is exactly what T-Mobile will need a lot of to make good on Dark -- and fast. In fact, both Verizon and AT&T have total ARPUs (average revenue per user) above the $50 mark already, and T-Mobile's current postpaid ARPU is up there, too. Translation: excluding a subscriber influx, T-Mobile would be taking in less money per postpaid customer than it is now while offering considerably (infinitely?) more service. Including the inevitable influx, sure, revenue goes through the roof -- but profit is a huge question mark.
  • One of T-Mobile's hallmarks has been stellar customer service. Historically, the carrier has never offered the biggest coverage footprint or the biggest handset selection, but you could basically always count on 'em to take care of you. Think they'll be able to keep that reputation intact with one-third again as many subscribers within a few months' time?
  • We're not doubting that T-Mobile is planning its 3G network (whether it be HSPA or HSPA+) for increased capacity, but the magnitude of advanced planning and expense that would be required to accommodate the number of high data consumption adds brought about by a plan this cheap would be truly staggering. It's the perfect storm -- the carrier would be simultaneously adding the most powerful devices it's ever offered and dramatically undercutting its closest competition on plan pricing, and the resulting strain would be picked up by an untested network.
  • Network build-outs are measured in months or years, not days. If markets start imploding because T-Mobile realizes it doesn't actually have the infrastructure to suddenly be the number two or three carrier, that's not a problem it can solve quickly -- or cheaply.
In a perfect world, we'd all have Cortex A9-powered phones running the mega-powerful operating system of your choice with 2GB of internal RAM and a 4.5-inch WVGA display hooked up to a network offering all-you-can-eat voice, data, and messaging in exchange for the pennies and lint in our pockets, but the cold, hard realities of spectrum allocation, technology, and the surly bonds of capitalism conspire to make it impossible. We beg of you, T-Mobile -- for the good of your network and your customers -- don't pull the trigger on this unless you're absolutely positive you've covered every contingency (and history suggests you've got some work to do there).

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/...e-if-project-dark-is-50-unlimited-youre-in-t/

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

Ill be back in a minute.

My-T.

nerd.gif

I read that SK users who reset their phones, let them drain, etc lost out on anything that wasn't locally saved.

Ok Im a little lost..

SO IS TMOBILE GOING TO HAVE THIS DARK, BLACK OR WHATEVER ITS CALLED PLAN?? Will it work on Blackberrys and any new phones comming out? Wife and I have been ontmobile since 03.. Really never had any problems until the SIDEKICK BLACK OUT which only effected my wife. My blackberry has been strong. Our contract is up inJan. By now, Im usually shopping for a new phone. The blackberry Curve has been the best phone Ive ever had. My wife is planning on switching to BB. The onlything keeping her to her SIDEKICK is the 19.99 unlimited data. I pay 30+ just for data. Good thing about us is that we talk through AIM or email. We share 700min and never get close to going over. SO I HOPE THIS PLAN GOES THROUGH.

If this plan is true, I'm probably going to switch to T-Mobile...

Depending on how much the 9700 is going to cost.

a MyTsharp wrote:

Ill be back in a minute.

My-T.

son.... i cant believe nobody found this amazingly funny.

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom