Tap Water I.D.'ed as Salmonella Source

[h2]Colo. City's Salmonella Source Confirmed[/h2][h3]By CATHERINE TSAI, AP
5 hours ago [/h3]
DENVER - It could be three more weeks before residents of a southern Colorado town can drink water straight from the tap afterdozens of cases of salmonella poisoning were linked to municipal water, putting seven people in the hospital.

An analysis indicates the municipal water system in Alamosa is the source of the bacterial outbreak, as suspected, said Ned Calonge, chief medical officerfor the state health department.

The city and county of Alamosa have declared emergencies, which would allow them to use state funds as officials scramble to provide safe water anddisinfect the system with chlorine.

The earliest the city water system could be flushed is Tuesday, and disinfecting it and making sure it is safe could take many days, said James Martin,executive director of the state health department. Water agencies from Denver, Aurora and Fort Collins were helping.

As of Friday, 138 cases of salmonella linked to the outbreak had been reported in people from infancy to age 89, of which 47 were confirmed by lab testing,Calonge said. The conditions of those hospitalized weren't released.

Alamosa, with about 8,500 residents, gets its water from a deep well system. The water is pure from the aquifer and is not chlorinated.

Investigators are seeking how the system was contaminated. Possibilities include a compromise in a storage tank or cross-contamination with a sewage line,Calonge said.

About 45 businesses are providing enough bottled water to supply residents for several days, in some cases for free, said Hans Kallam, director of the stateDivision of Emergency Management. Bulk water is also available from East Alamosa, which is not connected to the city system.

Boiling tap water will kill bacteria, but health officials warned that no one should use even boiled tap water once the flushing of the water system begins.People were warned not to give pets tap water, either.

San Luis Valley Regional Medical Center bought in bottled water, and equipment was being sanitized with alcohol, said Chief Operating Officer HenryGarvin.

"It's becoming much more costly to deliver care, but for patient care it's not going to be an issue," Garvin said, who did not have anestimate on the extra costs.

The city had been working to switch to a chlorinated system, but the outbreak is speeding up the timetable, Calonge said.

Only 15 salmonella outbreaks from public water systems were reported from 1971 to 2004, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

Symptoms include diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps that usually go away within a week, although same cases may require hospitalization.

Crazy. Imagine how widespread something like that would be if it happen in LA or Miami.

eek.gif

Tap water is the best water, but I guess only when it isn't contaminated with Salmonella bacteria.
salmonella is no joke!
Seriously. The worst four days of my life were during the last week of my freshman year of high school. I had a horrible case of Salmonella andstill had to show up for finals.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

In NYC the tap water is fine....it was rated the best tasting tap water in America.

I thought it was one of the worse because many areas/buildings have very old pipes?

Symptoms include diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps that usually go away within a week, although same cases may require hospitalization.
That ain't gonna stop me from tap water and raw eggs.
grin.gif

I'm from Memphis and our tap water is like Dasani, word up...our water is no joke. I forget that everyone cant drink the water that comes from theirshower.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

I put my water through a filter but i doubt that would of stopped something like this.

That's the best route, man. Our tap water is regulated by the EPA and the filter will weed out extremely small stuff like Crypto.

The old pipes are not really a problem. They just have biofilm growing on the inside...harmless organism. We have tests to make sure they are really fromthe pipes though so we don't get a false negative on other counts of pathogens.

I'm going to forward the article to my professor for further discussion, just 'cause it's part of my major. No one really cares about primaryprevention like this, the real money is in secondary prevention, ie doctors and pharmacists.

PS I wonder what strain of salmonella is it since there are so many types out there. And can you post up the actual link? Thanks, man.

Originally Posted by wj4

I put my water through a filter but i doubt that would of stopped something like this.

That's the best route, man. Our tap water is regulated by the EPA and the filter will weed out extremely small stuff like Crypto.

The old pipes are not really a problem. They just have biofilm growing on the inside...harmless organism. We have tests to make sure they are really from the pipes though so we don't get a false negative on other counts of pathogens.

I'm going to forward the article to my professor for further discussion, just 'cause it's part of my major. No one really cares about primary prevention like this, the real money is in secondary prevention, ie doctors and pharmacists.

PS I wonder what strain of salmonella is it since there are so many types out there. And can you post up the actual link? Thanks, man.

Not doubt
pimp.gif
@ dropping some knowledge...did you see the article on traces of pharmaceuticals being found in water?

Originally Posted by wj4

The old pipes are not really a problem. They just have biofilm growing on the inside...harmless organism. We have tests to make sure they are really from the pipes though so we don't get a false negative on other counts of pathogens.

I'm going to forward the article to my professor for further discussion, just 'cause it's part of my major. No one really cares about primary prevention like this, the real money is in secondary prevention, ie doctors and pharmacists.

Not doubt
pimp.gif
@ dropping some knowledge...did you see the article on traces of pharmaceuticals being found in water?

I've read about it, man. Sadly I don't think anything is going to be done until there is a tragedy, something that will get the attention of theaverage American. Most of our standardized tests are pretty pathetic. I tested water I got from a stream off of a dirty lake..I basically re nursed theorganisms back to a healthy state and broke them down into 2 stages at 2 different temperatures...one for Total Coliform and one for Fecal Coliform, followedby other extensive steps. According to California's standard, which is one of the more stricter states, my raw sample BARELY exceeded the acceptablelimit. If I were to dilute the water one time, it would've most likely passed the limit and deemed safe to drink. We're using some outdated tests,when there are more newer and accurate tests to use. But we don't do it because we're scared that the water won't be as safe as previouslythought, and more money will be needed to better the condition. Everything is about the almighty $$$. Sounds pretty cheesy, but my professor dedicated hislife to water safety so I'm pretty passionate it as well.

Originally Posted by wj4

the reason that people don't care about primary prevention is because of the general american view (heck, general 'naive population view'),"it's not going to happen to me/my city/my pipes/my car/etc." then when it shows up, people panic and are willing to put forth effort and money(i.e. 9/11), usually resulting in a waste of how it's distributed.

obviously without more information i can't know the exact species, but it's again, obviously closer to a non-typhoidal one (aka typhimurim) judgingfrom the endemic symptoms. finding out the exact species isn't really crucial though, since there are some 2,000+ genotyped species between the 2 extremes(typhi and typhimurium), which, curiously enough, have 99% homology in their genomes. hope that at least helped you somewhat!

thank god my cities tap water is some of the best in the nation. atleast i think

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-10-drugs-tap-water_N.htm

of course my city isnt affected by DRUGS neccersarily but three years ago, they said my city tap water had 40times the ammount of arsenic recommended for humanconsumption.

so where the hell do i turn? for now, until the water is the cause of some sort of bed ridden illness i receive, i feel im stuck drinking this tap water stuff.i cant see myself buying it bottled. the effects of that environmentally is just terrible

Originally Posted by yamakazi18

Originally Posted by wj4

the reason that people don't care about primary prevention is because of the general american view (heck, general 'naive population view'), "it's not going to happen to me/my city/my pipes/my car/etc." then when it shows up, people panic and are willing to put forth effort and money (i.e. 9/11), usually resulting in a waste of how it's distributed.

obviously without more information i can't know the exact species, but it's again, obviously closer to a non-typhoidal one (aka typhimurim) judging from the endemic symptoms. finding out the exact species isn't really crucial though, since there are some 2,000+ genotyped species between the 2 extremes (typhi and typhimurium), which, curiously enough, have 99% homology in their genomes. hope that at least helped you somewhat!

You pretty much nailed it. "I don't care if it's not in my backyard" is the perfect example to generalize why primary care gets noattention. And the question of 'if' definitely comes into factor. Why spend $100 million to better our water 'if' maybe only 1 out of 10,000will get sick?

Like you, I have no clue where to begin to find out the exact strain. This is just for my own interest..but there are tons and tons of different type ofsalmonella out there..some foodborne, waterborne, etc.

^yupyup. i've been heading into the direction of water safety/wastewater treatment lately. with my microbiology degree and experience (mostly in clinicalthough), as well as epidemiology, i will most likely take up an internship with the local county public health system this summer. from what the environmentalhealth professor who recommended me tells me, it's quite an exciting job. i just hope it's half as exciting as he made it sound!

Originally Posted by yamakazi18

^yupyup. i've been heading into the direction of water safety/wastewater treatment lately. with my microbiology degree and experience (mostly in clinical though), as well as epidemiology, i will most likely take up an internship with the local county public health system this summer. from what the environmental health professor who recommended me tells me, it's quite an exciting job. i just hope it's half as exciting as he made it sound!

As my professor states...'our business deals with deaths'. Sounds like you def have the background for it. I don't have any degrees yet, justtook courses in Epi, and Microbiology. The test score on my first Micro test was more SMH than that of my O chem courses, lol. That's when the professorgave a hell of a speech on how you need to be fully dedicated to this major if you're in it because lives are at stake or get the hell out. The majorI'm in is Environmental And Occupational Health. I'm leaning towards the environmental side as occupational is pretty boring to me.

I remember I asked him in his office how much money is in the field since he's been in the field for over 30 years..written maybe books, and is arespectable person in the industry. He replied "I'm not filthy rich, but if you're in school for 10+ years after HS, you should be entitled tosome toys. I don't make 7 figure or anything, just somewhere in the 6 range." This and Toxicology interests me the most at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom