Teach For America?

I know we have some teachers on here - just wondering if anyone went through Teach For America? Seein' what ya'll have to say -- I applied recently.Both of my parents were primary teachers in Oakland for a looong time. I'm looking to do secondary ed. tho. -- I'm actually going to be taking asubstantial paycut if I get hired on/take the position. I figure it's something I've always wanted to do, just didn't have the opportunity to getmy teacher's cert due to work schedule. I do eventually want to move on to higher ed. somewhere down the line. Not really interested in admin or anythinglike that. I like the student/teacher interaction more.

I'm in my second year in DC. Feel free to hit up the PM. I love teaching-- TFA just gave me the opportunity to do it without a degree.

Bump

Just got my acceptance letter. Ill be teaching High School Biology in Memphis

Did anybody else get accepted

eNPHAN did you get it?

I'm looking into it. Graduating college in Spring 2011.

One question: Does TFA negatively affect your ability to get into your original field afterwards? With the 2 year delay and everything.

so wait, teach for america isn't looking for people who want to continue to teach?

I applied.

didn't get the nod.

I got an interview for the NYC teaching fellows, though...

I went in jan 08, too....obviously didn't get the nod

but with the experience I've picked up working in an elementary school

hopefully they'll show the love.

I won't lie though, I was madd salty I didn't get accepted lol

maybe I should apply to lower profile cities and try to teach science rather than english...

I dunno...

or maybe I should have you do my app, rocman...lol

Originally Posted by judeezy36

I'm in my second year in DC. Feel free to hit up the PM. I love teaching-- TFA just gave me the opportunity to do it without a degree.

word? didnt know they grabbed corps members without degrees. That is whats up. I have multiple friends/acquaintances doing it. good program...I'm prettysure they don't just want people who want to teach forever though but rather people who are trying to make the minority/underprivileged situation betterfrom a high level standpoint. its a great program if you want to get a graduate degree too. they get the leg up on the competition for doing this.

also, if you are a minority and went through what this program is basically trying to make better and can relay that to them, I am pretty sure it is a loteasier to get on. I've heard a lot of people say its terribly hard to get on, but they are usually white folks whereas pretty much every black personI've known that applied (mainly from college) got accepted. ha

I'm black.

I'm from a lower socio-economic neighborhood/school system

so, naw.

btw, he meant grad degree...

I'm pretty sure you have to have a bachelor's to apply....

do my app this time

lol

howd you get placed already?

don't they have a round of phone interviews then a in-person interview?

I'm in Teach For America. I'm down in Northern Mississippi, very very close to Memphis..

I'm in my first year teaching high school Geometry and tutoring ACT.

I have given some pretty good advice to about four other people on NT who had questions about TFA.

Hit me up bro.

Dude who said he's in Memphis? Hit me up as well through PM. You will have a ball at institute in Houston this summer...lots of hard work, but it'sworth it on the weekends...
pimp.gif

Houston is a pretty cool city too.

Headed to work now....

Lol son if you pay me I'll do the app, j/k. But I applied for like the October deadline, so I already went through the interviews and everything. When areyou applying?

And UbUiBeMe institute is actually in Atlanta now, but Ill definitely hit you up.

eh, I got in the jan deadline. didn't get accepted to even interview. maybe you could email me your essays...I don't know what I said wrong lol

basically the same thing I said to get two interviews in nyc...

I'm in my first year in Philly, teaching Algebra II, Geometry, and Stats. I'm also a special ed teacher. My college was second in the country last yearin terms of number of students placed within a school size (I believe schools smaller than 3,000). This year I've had 5 friends get rejected, all of whom Ithought would be pretty well qualified. If anyone has any questions or wants help with the apps, feel free to message me and I can try to help out any waypossible.

Being open to being a special ed teacher will give you a slightly better chance, because those are most needed. Secondary Sped Math/English are the most neededapplicants - I selected the option of "I don't want to teach special ed" and when I got my offer (off the waitlist - after 4 months) I wasoffered a position of special ed. I tried to get out of it, but that was the only offer. A lot of my friends that got in off the waitlist are also special edteachers.

My ex didnt get TFA 2 years ago and she was very well qualified. Great GPA at good school, volunteer work, etc. A really nice person too, she had a bunch ofinterviews I think. It must be very hard to get.

I did it for 2 years before working for Lehman, and now BarCap.  It's a great program imo.  It looks great on your resume.  The only thing now, though, is that it's as hard to land a TFA job, as it is to land a Wall Street job.

obviously. it just seems weird they're more prone to certify and fund education for a degree if people aren't going to be career educators.

I'm just looking for a loophole certification + masters in ed.

I guess imma just have to go the old fashioned way

grad school

I was recruited heavily last semester and I mean heavily. From them showing up to my class presentations to taking me to lunch/dinner. Constant emails from a range of recruiters and I mean constant emails (personalized too). I didn't want to do it because I get bored easily and teaching kids is boring.

Teaching these kids is hardly boring. But congrats on HLS, thats not a bad alternate choice. I'm guessing based on stories from other friends that were heavily recruited that you came from a low income household, from a under-performing school district, are a minority, and possibly even had TFA teachers at some point in your education? Not trying to be disparaging in any way, its just that was the experience I had with friends that were recruited.

sorry to dig this thread back up from the graves, but wanted to address the application process.  For those of yall talking about being "well qualified".  I think yall have the stipulations wrong.  Being "well qualified" to bridge the education gap doesn't necessarily mean you have a good GPA, great school, etc.  Granted all the people I know came from my college (Univ of TX) which is usually pretty high in rankings amongst public institutions the people who made it in TFA had good essays.  They could relate and articulate how the education gap affected them.  I'm pretty sure they put the most weight into your essays...

I didnt mention that you need to reach out to those who you know made it and have them send your essays and tell you about their experience because I thought that was a given.  Go to their website and research their values.  The stuff thats there isnt there for a formality.  It's what they live by from a general standpoint... I could go on and on, but just make sure your essays have passion and are relative to the greater problem at hand that they are trying so solve.  the education gap

Back
Top Bottom