technology replacing some minimum wage workers

i remembered this thread when i was at the store. this has already been in effect for sometime. for example at homedepot ralphs and various other places they have the self checkout lanes that eliminates a need for another cashier

My intro econ classes explained how things like tariffs, taxes, rent control, and minimum wage suck. I think I agree.
Lol, that's way different from the prevailing view of the econ faculty at my school. But then again, my school has a reputation for being ultraliberal. 
Interesting. I would have thought intro economics classes would have been the same everywhere.

Can't see it ever happening full steam. Especially service jobs. An iPad can't replace the chick at hooters, the cute sales chick in the retail store.... so on and so forth.
I've gotten service from MANY waiters who have done a worse job than an ipad would do. Think about it. No more your waiter wondering when you're ready. You just punch in your order, or tell the ipad when you're out of water, and they bring it to you.

If you're interested in a new view on the elimination of minimum wage work, and how to become indispensable in your job, read Linchpin by Seth Godin. Great Book!

people need to adapt. get more skills or get left behind. it's part of evolution if you think about it. those that can't adapt get left behind....

I waiting until fast food resturants turn the register around and let me punch my own order.

Oh, wait its already here.

people need to adapt. get more skills or get left behind. it's part of evolution if you think about it. those that can't adapt get left behind....

....and kids in high school should sell drugs.

good article, the American economy has been moving to more highly skilled labor jobs for years, maybe decades. Minimum wage or close to it is ok when you are a kid. like 17-22. Once you are in your mid to early 20's it's time to move on, get a bachelors degree that will help you land a decent entry level job somewhere and steadily move up, or go to grad school if that's the best option for you.

good article, the American economy has been moving to more highly skilled labor jobs for years, maybe decades. Minimum wage or close to it is ok when you are a kid. like 17-22. Once you are in your mid to early 20's it's time to move on, get a bachelors degree that will help you land a decent entry level job somewhere and steadily move up, or go to grad school if that's the best option for you.

Increasing numbers of recent college graduates are ending up in relatively low-skilled jobs that, historically, have gone to those with lower levels of educational attainment. This study examines this phenomenon in some detail, concluding:

About 48 percent of employed U.S. college graduates are in jobs that the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) suggests requires less than a four-year college education. Eleven percent of employed college graduates are in occupations requiring more than a high-school diploma but less than a bachelor’s, and 37 percent are in occupations requiring no more than a high-school diploma;

http://centerforcollegeaffordability.org/research/studies/underemployment-of-college-graduates

I think many of you are seeing this in a very short term perspective. Technology has been replacing jobs for a while now. For instance the assembly line from henry ford replaced many workers, e-mail took away many postal workers, and now self check out lines are taking away many grocery store clerks. However technology also creates new industries like cloud servers, production equipment, touch screens, etc. This usually forces prior laborers to either go back to school to get a new education, find jobs in different industries etc. And the cycle repeats.

Whats interesting from the original report quoted by swendro 88 is that theyve concluded that 1) the innovation for new industries and jobs is not growing in relation to the growth in college graduates 2) academic inflation will soon make college diplomas the new "high school diploma"

What Interests me about the first conclusion is whether the slowing growth in new jobs is in fact correlated with college graduates participating in jobs requiring lower skill levels thus undermining their creativity for innovation? Also I think the original report didnt assume whether these jobs were only temporary settings and/or they didnt isolate double counts for those in multuple job settings (as in unpaid internship+income generated from a job like bar tending for example) or pursuing a grad degree while employed at a lower skill level job.

Also for number 2: assuming that academic inflation and credentialism are on the rise and that employers are privy to this assumption, would the reliance on college degrees as a prequisite for employment slowly become irrelevant? Essentialky what im trying to ask is will we see employers move towards methods that would seek those that are highly educated without academic credentials relative to those that have credentials but cheated and absolutely do not know ****

Sorry for the long post and for any typos... im on my phone and its 3 am but I love this type of stuff

Yeah I don't think people are looking at this with a long-term perspective. I'd rather order a Hash Brown and McMuffin from a touchscreen than some rude, stupid teen who doesn't want to be there. And then one day robots will spit the food out with precision that can't be matched from the illegal lady forgetting I said no cheese.

i think ur being sarcastic but ill give a serious response.

i was talking more about the design of the robot

It was semi-serious.

At one point or another, there isn't going to be a need to design the robots. And if there is, it will be reserved for some really high up there people. Robots will build robots. Eventually people won't be able to make those either, seeing that once the robots that make robots are made. They won't need people.

Down with Skynet.

View media item 368050

y'all getting out of hand with this Jeorge Jetson talk.

There are always people who's going to want to speak to a real person plain and simple.

Think about it.

^And theres always gonna be people(read: corporations) that don't want to pay people in order to maximize income.

Never underestimate greed.

y'all getting out of hand with this Jeorge Jetson talk.

There are always people who's going to want to speak to a real person plain and simple.

Think about it.

100x100px-LS-ef5f2026_a70.gif

I laugh when people pick majors now because they hear "that's where the bread" but its a position society isn't in need of and they are going off of info from the 80s. All these kids with worthless mass comm degrees and stuff like that thinking they going to be big radio host when the same dudes been radio host for over 20 years. And I'm noticingalot of people going yo IT thinking its something straight forward and cut and dry. Help desk/ IT technicians have become mimmnimum wage gigs

It was inevitable. Eventually we're not going to need anybody to take our order, ask if we want fries with that, drive the bus, count out our change, or any other menial, unskilled task. The bottom line is that technology makes these kind of jobs obsolete, and we're only going to see more of this type of thing as technology improves and gets cheaper/more accessible, as such technologies tend to.

The fact is the entire structure of the job market is inexorably changing. The future is learning a useful, relevant skill and applying it independently or for the highest bidder. Our schools need to be telling our kids that this is the case, but that's another topic entirely.

I laugh when people pick majors now because they hear "that's where the bread" but its a position society isn't in need of and they are going off of info from the 80s. All these kids with worthless mass comm degrees and stuff like that thinking they going to be big radio host when the same dudes been radio host for over 20 years. And I'm noticingalot of people going yo IT thinking its something straight forward and cut and dry. Help desk/ IT technicians have become mimmnimum wage gigs

Yep. Just got out of helpdesk myself, 55 year old was here making $17-18 an hour doing helpdesk. I was :wow:, seen people make as little as $14 an hour doing helpdesk

Makes me kinda uneasy especially since im an ks major. Hopefully the job marjet isnt toi saturated by da time i graduate

It's going to happen eventually. Imagine the world 10, 15, or 20 years from now.
I'm okay with that too. Automated services are more efficient.

Just look at grocery stores, there really shouldn't be a need for cashiers, except for people who wait until the last minute and buy 2 carts full of stuff. I never go to a regular register though, all about the self checkout. Hopefully there will be a way for that concept to move into many other places

It's going to happen eventually. Imagine the world 10, 15, or 20 years from now.
I'm okay with that too. Automated services are more efficient.

Just look at grocery stores, there really shouldn't be a need for cashiers, except for people who wait until the last minute and buy 2 carts full of stuff. I never go to a regular register though, all about the self checkout. Hopefully there will be a way for that concept to move into many other places

But where are high school kids supposed to work?

Back
Top Bottom